Martin Flanagan Article in Age

hells bells

Not exactly. A player can simply nominate himself, but the point that Flanagan was making was that had Collingwood really wanted him, they would have made sure his nomination was organised. It's their loss and your gain that they chose not to pursue Liam.

I perfectly understand why some here would query the authenticity of a Pies supporter coming on to a Demons fan site. A Demon supporter would cop plenty of [censored] if he ventured on to Nicks bulletin board. The only reason for my message was that my loyalty is primarily to Liam and I thought since you guys are his support base now, you'd appreciate some background info. I hope you all get behind Jungarrayi (that's his skin name) as he will need to know he's embraced by the Melbourne mob.

Oh, he's embraced alright! Can't wait to see him play.

Dammit.

Another sensible, informed and friendly Collingwood supporter.

Where are they all coming from?

I haven't heard Eddie gloating about how other clubs will have to relcoate much lately... that stuff is now Kennett and Hawthorn's territory.

I haven't heard a whole lot of 'Collingwood are going to win everything because we're the best no matter what' lately either... that's Carlton now for sure. As is 'let's play unscrupulous off-field games even if it undermines the integrity of the sport'... Carlton have that down firmly.

But this has tipped it, this support for Liam Jurrah as if his time in the Collingwood 2's was his local, junior club, and now all these Pies fans are just thrilled to see him get a go at AFL level.

I... I... don't hate Collingwood.

I'm going to have to revise my position to 'enthusiastic rivalry and cheerful ribbing'.

PS. Even though my heart bleeds black and white, I'll be there amongst Dees supporters cheering Liam on when he gets to play in red and blue. Go Liam and go Dees!

Rudeboy, Any chance of persuading you to get a Melbourne Membership to come along and watch Liam Play? ;)

Can I also throw in - I think it is absolutely awesome that the whole town of Yuendumu has shifted to the Demons on account of Jurrah's recruitment.

Would anyone else here be interested in sending them some kind of 'welcome to the club' present? It mentions in the article that Jurrah hadn't been on a treadmill before he came to Victoria - maybe we could all put in a send them some training gear like tackle bags, and of course a whole pile of footballs.

Who's interested and what do you think would be a good welcome present?

DD, i could chip in/get heaps of footies from my bedroom and mates' houses. I'm sure, if someone like you was willing to organise this, the club would help put. I've also got old dees scarves and stuff. I know new stuff would be even better, but in terms of how much we could send over, i recon we could get heaps more this way.

Footy's would be a great idea, maybe a few Dees jumpers.

I'd love to chip in. Maybe someone should get in touch with the club and find out the best way to go about it.

Connolly would love it and would probably be a big help

This is a great idea and one I've already acted on in a small way. I contacted the club a little while ago, letting them know that there has been a visible surge in interest in the Demons just within Alice Springs, (remembering the Yuendumu is 300kms away). There are a few jumpers, hats and even a flag getting around town at the moment, make no mistake this is all about Liam Jurrah.

Here is an extract from my letter, which outlines my idea:

"My idea relies on the assumption that the club may have a stock plie of old club merchandise, given our loss of Primus as a major sponsor.

The club may well be wondering what avenues it has for the proper disposal of this merchandise, particularly clothing. My idea is that this merchandise be offered to people in

and around Liam Jurrah's home community of Yuendumu at a significantly reduced rate.

This would go some way to raising some money for the club, whilst also continuing the increased visual presence the club is building in this

region where football is a way of life. Now is an excellent time to capitalise on this local excitement."

Anyway it turns out that there is no old merchandise to speak of. But the very helpful, Martin Cox, who is the Marketing Coordinator, has sent me some posters, stickers etc (I haven't received it yet) to distribute out at Yuendumu. If there is anything that others want to donate, old jumpers, hats, footys, I am more than willing to see that it arrives out there and is distributed properly. Contact me if you have any ideas, please note however that I may not be on Demonland for a while as I am going OS for a fortnight.

DD, i could chip in/get heaps of footies from my bedroom and mates' houses. I'm sure, if someone like you was willing to organise this, the club would help put. I've also got old dees scarves and stuff. I know new stuff would be even better, but in terms of how much we could send over, i recon we could get heaps more this way.

I would kindly donate my 09 members scarf back to the club if it is viable. Maybe the club should have a box behind the pickup point for donations such as this?

I have a pile of prev years at home that have never seen my neck as i have my trusty royal blue and red antique that I have on each week and have done so since about 82'.

edit..... I just emailed the club as well re this and having someone like CC deliver the good will package a few weeks into the season especially if LJ has had a bit of an impact on field! Great opportunity for positive marketing and PR for the MFC!

Rudeboy, Any chance of persuading you to get a Melbourne Membership to come along and watch Liam Play? ;)

Don't worry mate, Chris Connolly has already been on my back about that. Let me just say that the moment Liam gets picked for his first senior game, my whole family (all Pies supporters) will be buying Melbourne memberships.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
I smell something fishy "Rude Boy". No self respecting "filth" supporter would (a) support a player who left the club, (B) admit to being a "filth" supporter on another clubs forum, © close friend of boy from woop woop - yet on the internet forums hey?? :o

What a goose of a comment! I lived, studied and worked in the NT for a bunch of years and I count among my friends many locals that live hundereds of miles from the nearest powerstation. You know that it is possible for a whitefella who can use a computer to be mates with a blackfella who couldn't care less about one.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys are interested in learning a bit more about where Liam comes from, check out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AboriginalRules

its a series of videos from the DVD Aboriginal Rules that a friend of mine - Liam Campbell together with the Warlpiri Media Association made about football in Central Australia and follows the journey of the Yuendumu Magpies season of 2007 (...or maybe 2008 not sure entirely) its pretty inspiring stuff. Liam Jurrah features in snippets of the videos, but I would suggest you watch them more to see the difference in the living environment in Yuendumu compared to Melbourne cos it sure makes you appreciate the transition Liam Jurrah is making!

RudeBoy, are you from Yuendumu also? I'm proud to say that I'm a Jungarayi too - my dad travels to Yuendumu every year when our school stays there as part of their Central Australia trip in yr 10 and he was given the skin name Japaljarri back before I was born so when I went up there in '04 I already knew mine before all the other students got theirs haha.