• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Major Sponsor

iv'a worn smith

Guest hangon007
Exactly my sentiment.

And I don't agree we'd need to sell our sponsorship rights for 'value price'.

Surely if this is a long term view, the first year of the deal may be reduced if games have been played where their brand hasn't been promoted...

but MelbourneFC is & will continue to be a premium brand that will (should) command a top value sponsorship.

Thank-you "The Shaft"

Ok ... I understand what you are saying.

However, my comments in relation to a "value price" where more aimed as a preluded to my closing line

I'm also sure, unlike many other AFL football clubs ... a potential major sponsor would not be taken for granted ... personally I would walk to the moon and back (figuratively speaking) to support their product or brand.

This thread has set me on a path to start thinking about how ... we as an AFL football club can add more value than any other football club to our major sponsor. So, I like you dont want to discount the price, instead I want to add value to the price. Put crudely I want to think of ideas that we as supporters/members can offer sponsors "better bang for their bucks" and not visa-versa.

Personally I must confess in the past taking our major sponsors for granted ... Not too unlike many other AFL club supporters may I say.

However, my views are now 100% changed.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty, I really hope we can find a major sponsor by the time our first NAB cup game comes around.

If not, I believe it will be very embarrassing for many involved with the MFC. While back in the 50's and 60's it didn't matter about sponsors...unfortunately now in the materialistic and money-driven world we live in it does. In many ways it will look rather strange to see the Demons jumper during the NAB Cup if we don't have a sponsor logo on it.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that the MFC will be discussing this issue with the members at the AGM. I'm about 100% there will be alot of Melbourne members asking WHY we haven't signed up a major sponsor yet.

Hopefully the MFC members will be lenient though with Stynes, Schwab and Co. As I'm sure they have been doing their best to get the MFC a major sponsor and won't give up trying until we get one.

I would forget about attracting a major sponsor for a few weeks and concentrate on the "youth summit". I am sure that a bunch of TimeZone playing, pimply teens will get us out of this mess.

Am I the only one that is sick of the spin and wants to see some results.

What Spin? They haven't said that they have a sponsor, they have advised that they are still working to getting the best deal and all doors are open. I can't see any spin whatsoever.

Stop Trying to create a storm in a teacup.

The only summit us Melbourne supporters should see is at Mt Buller.

Are you for real? At least Melbourne are stepping out of the square, thinking of news ways to connect with and get fresh ideas from the next generation which, lets face it, is our future...

Gippy

IS STARTING THE SEASON WITHOUT A MAJOR SPONSOR SUCH A BAD THING???

Most definitely.

- Weeks & months of speculation and waiting with baited breath, as this topic becomes larger than life - Club looks like a welfare leper

- Disappointment after disappointment over 'missed opportunities' when any sponsors sign with other clubs, whether we are in talks with them or not - Confirmation that the Club is a welfare leper.

- The media circus growing to fever pitch as the season is about to commence & MFC are still without a major sponsor - Rumour mill gets fuelled about too many Clubs in Victoria and the welfare leper gets referred to as a terminal basket case.

- If MFC can negotiate cleverly there would be a bidding war between sponsors fighting to be our 'white knight' - I can see it now with cash strapped companies struggling in the biggest financial crisis since the Great depression lining up to throw money in a feverish bidding war for a poor sponsorship value proposition.

- The feeling of elation for supporters as a major sponsor is announced at a massive press conference with maximum media coverage - Just like when you shake a bottle of lemonade and it fizzes with tension and pressure build as you unscrew the cap and a day after it breaks out the remnants in the bottle are dead flat and of no interest.

- Imagine if we didn't have one when the season started and won the first game or a couple of the first few?? Losing will not be an issue because that will be expected anyway. - Losing at any time is an issue but it would be good if we did win some games suggesting the list is on the improve

Any publicity is good publicity. - Where were you the last two years? You might want to review that after re reading the Press we have had.

And if a potential sponsor is concerned about being aligned with an unsuccessful club (of late), just point them towards the brand loyalty they will be getting from any MFC supporters. - They should be able to count the MFC supporters at matches

I can't put into words the gratitude I will feel towards any company that pulls my club from the mire (providing a good deal is made). - What would you call a good deal in the current environment when we cant get a deal secured period ?

Already having a major sponsor signed & ready to go, but holding the announcement until after the season starts could even be quite a clever marketing ploy (not that I'm saying this is the case). - It isnt. If we get a major sponsor I cant think why the Club would want to delay the announcement given the financial basket case image we have.

My only concern - will MFC lose money by not having a major sponsor once the season commences? I imagine so. - Its losing money now tick tick tick

Other clubs' supporters' & the general public's opinions of our image means little to me; it'll change rapidly once we start winning again anyway. - The general public also includes the executives of the companies that avoid us as a welfare leper with a small supporter base. I would be very concerned. And It wont change rapidly

I have to admit that this scenario is causing me to become slighlty concerned about the future of our beloved club. However in saying that I have every faith in Stynes and his associates that something can be done to rectify this situation, and they are undoubtably working hard to ensure that a deal comes this way. Though at this point in time I would happily take any sponsorship that was offered to us:)

Most definitely.

- Weeks & months of speculation and waiting with baited breath, as this topic becomes larger than life - Club looks like a welfare leper

- Disappointment after disappointment over 'missed opportunities' when any sponsors sign with other clubs, whether we are in talks with them or not - Confirmation that the Club is a welfare leper.

- The media circus growing to fever pitch as the season is about to commence & MFC are still without a major sponsor - Rumour mill gets fuelled about too many Clubs in Victoria and the welfare leper gets referred to as a terminal basket case.

- If MFC can negotiate cleverly there would be a bidding war between sponsors fighting to be our 'white knight' - I can see it now with cash strapped companies struggling in the biggest financial crisis since the Great depression lining up to throw money in a feverish bidding war for a poor sponsorship value proposition.

- The feeling of elation for supporters as a major sponsor is announced at a massive press conference with maximum media coverage - Just like when you shake a bottle of lemonade and it fizzes with tension and pressure build as you unscrew the cap and a day after it breaks out the remnants in the bottle are dead flat and of no interest.

- Imagine if we didn't have one when the season started and won the first game or a couple of the first few?? Losing will not be an issue because that will be expected anyway. - Losing at any time is an issue but it would be good if we did win some games suggesting the list is on the improve

Any publicity is good publicity. - Where were you the last two years? You might want to review that after re reading the Press we have had.

And if a potential sponsor is concerned about being aligned with an unsuccessful club (of late), just point them towards the brand loyalty they will be getting from any MFC supporters. - They should be able to count the MFC supporters at matches

I can't put into words the gratitude I will feel towards any company that pulls my club from the mire (providing a good deal is made). - What would you call a good deal in the current environment when we cant get a deal secured period ?

Already having a major sponsor signed & ready to go, but holding the announcement until after the season starts could even be quite a clever marketing ploy (not that I'm saying this is the case). - It isnt. If we get a major sponsor I cant think why the Club would want to delay the announcement given the financial basket case image we have.

My only concern - will MFC lose money by not having a major sponsor once the season commences? I imagine so. - Its losing money now tick tick tick

Other clubs' supporters' & the general public's opinions of our image means little to me; it'll change rapidly once we start winning again anyway. - The general public also includes the executives of the companies that avoid us as a welfare leper with a small supporter base. I would be very concerned. And It wont change rapidly

Its easy to refute everything I said, but I'm waiting on something constructive...

It is easy indeed. Its called a grasp of reality and no doubt you wont find that constructive in dreamtime.

I think your 'grasp of reality' involves a preconception of how the world works, that leaves no room for anything out of the norm.

Reality is often stranger than fiction.

Obviously what I said was fanciful & won't happen, but it was a hastily written post. Surely something can be taken from what I said.

Its often said we need to think outside the box, but what is the point when any time someone does, they are shot down?

Give me some time in the same room as Russell Howcroft, we'll come up with something.

I think your 'grasp of reality' involves a preconception of how the world works, that leaves no room for anything out of the norm.

Call it an understanding of what is the "norm" . If you call these difficult times normal. They are not. They are unprecedented in most people's lifetime. Preconceptions have nowhere to be applied.

Reality is often stranger than fiction.

Not in this case. Its rather stark.

Obviously what I said was fanciful & won't happen, but it was a hastily written post. Surely something can be taken from what I said.

Its often said we need to think outside the box, but what is the point when any time someone does, they are shot down?

Keep ypur feet on the ground and head out of the clouds. And I will use your concept and say I am waiting on something constructive

Give me some time in the same room as Russell Howcroft, we'll come up with something.

Go for it Tiger and good luck.

Guest unstable punt
In all honesty, I really hope we can find a major sponsor by the time our first NAB cup game comes around.

If not, I believe it will be very embarrassing for many involved with the MFC. While back in the 50's and 60's it didn't matter about sponsors...unfortunately now in the materialistic and money-driven world we live in it does. In many ways it will look rather strange to see the Demons jumper during the NAB Cup if we don't have a sponsor logo on it.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that the MFC will be discussing this issue with the members at the AGM. I'm about 100% there will be alot of Melbourne members asking WHY we haven't signed up a major sponsor yet.

Hopefully the MFC members will be lenient though with Stynes, Schwab and Co. As I'm sure they have been doing their best to get the MFC a major sponsor and won't give up trying until we get one.

heard Gerard Healy talking to Brock McLean on radio and he mentioned he's heard we had just about got a new sponsor. so hope its true. Healy's mail is usually spot on as his brother is involved at the club bigtime and he is good mates with Schwabby

heard Gerard Healy talking to Brock McLean on radio and he mentioned he's heard we had just about got a new sponsor. so hope its true. Healy's mail is usually spot on as his brother is involved at the club bigtime and he is good mates with Schwabby

The grammar is important here. Did Healy say we just about had a new sponsor or we just about have a new sponsor? The former is consistent with reports of a missed opportunity in this thread. The latter would be fantastic news and very much a new development as this time last week all our existing leads had dried up. We'll know more tonight...

Jim Stynes, Paul McNamee in Melbourne sponsorship row

PAUL McNamee claims he was on the verge of snaring $6 million worth of sponsorship when he was axed as Melbourne chief executive.

McNamee said yesterday he was close to delivering a lucrative double - renewal of the Primus deal and a new deal with a European company.

---

Last night Stynes strongly rebutted McNamee's claim.

"I just can't believe what he is saying," Stynes said.

:mellow:

McNamee was always the most likely to attract a sponsor. Of that I have no doubt.

I just pray that now the club has gotten to this stage it doesn't have to concede too much to snaffle one.

I would forget about attracting a major sponsor for a few weeks and concentrate on the "youth summit". I am sure that a bunch of TimeZone playing, pimply teens will get us out of this mess.

Am I the only one that is sick of the spin and wants to see some results.

The only summit us Melbourne supporters should see is at Mt Buller.

Yeah, what sort of business tries to connect with its consumers?

The summit is probably worth holding just to create a strong connection with attendees and network with members that may benefit the Club directly (ie. voluntary contributions from individuals and businesses), let alone any ideas that the Club picks up on and utilises to add value, are bonuses.

Such a rubbish call.

Jim Stynes, Paul McNamee in Melbourne sponsorship row

PAUL McNamee claims he was on the verge of snaring $6 million worth of sponsorship when he was axed as Melbourne chief executive.

McNamee said yesterday he was close to delivering a lucrative double - renewal of the Primus deal and a new deal with a European company.

---

Last night Stynes strongly rebutted McNamee's claim.

"I just can't believe what he is saying," Stynes said.

:mellow:

McNamee's claims are problematic and puzzling. He was still CEO for a number of weeks after the Stynes-led board took over and he is now asking us to believe that he was on the verge of sealing sponsorships for the club worth $6million and that "the Demons were not interested in sponsorship updates from him." This is a club that was $5million in debt at the time and its new Board (which took over because of concerns about club finances) was about to undertake a major fundraising effort to claw back that debt.

"Not interested"

Give me a break!

Surely, if McNamee was on the verge of achieving such a major financial breakthrough for the club, he would have submitted that information to the board in writing, as would most people in such a position on such an important matter (especially if they were being ignored by the powers that be)? Where is the evidence of a written memorandum at the time from him to the board? If, as he claims, Stynes and the new board weren't interested, it would have been prudent for him to commit to writing details of the activities he undertook on behalf of the club during his sojourn at Wimbledon. After all, that trip was already a controversial issue in some quarters.

Stynes says he doesn't believe the story and I think it's up to McNamee to do a lot more than make this bald claim more than six months after the fact if he wants to satisfy us that he was really that close to achieving a bonanza for the club.

McNamee's claims are problematic and puzzling. He was still CEO for a number of weeks after the Stynes-led board took over and he is now asking us to believe that he was on the verge of sealing sponsorships for the club worth $6million and that "the Demons were not interested in sponsorship updates from him." This is a club that was $5million in debt at the time and its new Board (which took over because of concerns about club finances) was about to undertake a major fundraising effort to claw back that debt.

"Not interested"

Give me a break!

Surely, if McNamee was on the verge of achieving such a major financial breakthrough for the club, he would have submitted that information to the board in writing, as would most people in such a position on such an important matter (especially if they were being ignored by the powers that be)? Where is the evidence of a written memorandum at the time from him to the board? If, as he claims, Stynes and the new board weren't interested, it would have been prudent for him to commit to writing details of the activities he undertook on behalf of the club during his sojourn at Wimbledon. After all, that trip was already a controversial issue in some quarters.

Stynes says he doesn't believe the story and I think it's up to McNamee to do a lot more than make this bald claim more than six months after the fact if he wants to satisfy us that he was really that close to achieving a bonanza for the club.

Well said WJ, Something definately smells here. If there was another sponser that for example jimmy was bringing to the club at that stage but fell through his claims could carry a bit more weight but this was at a stage where as far as we the public were aware they were doing everything possible to:

A/ Find a new sponser

B/ Reduce Debt

C/ Grow member ship base.

Correct me if I am wrong but these are the 3 basic fundermentals of any club off the field.

It just doesn't sound consistant with the likely reality of the situation that had been reported around that time, but if PM can deliver documentation to support his claims there could well be hell to pay. My feeling is that this is just another example of why the club is better off without him.

I can't stand people like Macca, any person can come out and claim they would off done this after there time is up. The old I would off, well if you did you would still be our CEO. Get on with your life but thanks for getting Melbourne back in the papers, lucky we don't have a sponser yet because they would have been upset no photo was included in the story.

"Not interested"

Give me a break!

In McNamee's defence, Stynes has stated that he didn't agree with the appointment of McNamee by the previous board, but never specified what the issue was. It's fair to say that McNamee was a dead man walking once Stynes got into power, so we don't really know what working relationship the pair had during McNamee's brief stint in office.

My point is that if someone comes on here and tells us all that we have fumbled the sponsorship ball (again!!!) then the leaking this information does not make its source at the Club a moron. Rather Stynes and Schwab telling us that she'll be apples is far more reprehensible.

You joined this forum the day of our 150th birthday dinner at Crown. Your first post was on the 'Jim Stynes President' thread the same day last June. Your second post was flowery in its congratulations of Paul Gardner and his team during the handover, your subsequent 90% posts are derisive of the present Board and in particular Stynes. You clearly have been associated with the club and its previous administration. You're an agitator with an axe to grind ably supported by your minion Hazy. Your head only popped up when it became clear that Stynes was in the throws of a takeover. Of course this could all be coincidental, as your minion would have us believe. Yeah, right.

Everything you post of a political nature should be read with the above understanding. That of course isn't to say that some of what you write isn't without foundation or reasonable basis, but it is to say that balance will, and often does, escape you.

Stynes has been in your gun since your first post. Only a fool thinks that they're debating a like minded, anonymous, and even handed supporter that forms independent views from a distance.