• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Blease & Strauss are CRITICAL to the Club's improvement

Cranky Franky

I really hope the club got it right with these 2. They are critical to the Club's improvement.

Watts was an obvious choice and nobody is going to shoot Prendergast if Jetta, Bennell & Bail don't make it.

Blease & Strauss are high picks in a Superdraft which means they might have been around top 10 in an average year. They were taken ahaed of very well credentialled players particularly some KPP's.

Lets hope they turn out more like Scott Thompson & Adem Yze rather than Aaron Rogers & Luke Molan.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope the club got it right with these 2. They are critical to the Club's improvement.

Watts was an obvious choice and nobody is going to shoot Prendergast if Jetta, Bennell & Bail don't make it.

Blease & Strauss are high picks in a Superdraft which means they might have been around top 10 in an average year. They were taken ahaed of very well credentialled players particularly some KPP's.

Lets hope they turn out more like Scott Thompson & Adem Yze rather than Aaron Rogers & Luke Molan.

Strauss for mine is the really interesting one to watch due to his finishing attributes he is coming with. Skills and lack of finishing hurt us more then anything else this year. I think your right on the money here with these 2, but they might take a couple of years to develop before we can ask too much of them.

You are somewhat right. However, IMO all selections these days are critical. Maybe I'm being too hard :unsure:

I see Binnell, Jetta, Jurrah and even Bail as very important selections for the club, just as important as these two you highlight.

Of course there might be a tad more expectation of them being picked up at 17 and 19 respectively, as it comes with the territory.

Just as pick 1 with Watts does.

What is critical is a collective improvement amongst established players at the club already. The likes of Sylvia, Miller, Jones, Moloney, Buckley, Bell, Jamar, Johnson, Bate, Petterd and Dunn to name a 'few'.

Every draft pick still costs a footy club $200k or more in player wages, doctors and physios time, training/club apparel whether they are picked at 20 or picked at 75.

Financially every pick is important. And where you can get an edge on an opponent is when you strike gold with a late pick, or a rookie.

I think Blease and Strauss would have been top 5 in some years, and for that reason I don't see them as critical, or more critical than

Watts or Bennell or now Jurrah.They are both going to make it.

I sure hope I am still not waiting for Blease to get a regular spot in five more years time (he is 17 now).

I haven't seen an onballer like him at Melbourne for many years and see him playing regularly by 2010.

There are so many players that have been picked up in the last 10 years that people just don't keep there fingers crossed for.

(Juddy gee I hope he makes it, Reiwoldt, gee I hope he makes it, Cooney, gee I hope he makes it)

He (Blease) actually reminds me of Kevin Bartlett, and I don't think i'm dreaming here.

Yes, we can worry about any choices, but there is nothing about either of these (Blease and Strauss) that makes me worry.

There have been many skinny and scintillating players that never bulked up and I'm sure Blease will never, and will never need to.

Tingay (that skinny little fella from Shepparton)may have needed to but I don't think Blease does. And for Strauss, bout time we got one of those "fat arsed" footballers.

These drafts have been really good for us I think. With the variety here I am starting to forget the "What could have beens," if we

had got the full Priority pick this year.

I don't say much here much but can I just say that during this draft period I have really appreciated what all of you have

contributed. I'm amazed at the information I have gathered here, and appreciated the threads that people have started including this one.

And people like Morton2Watts and was it Davis 33 that have bothered to put utube contacts - amazing.

History would suggest that not all three of our top picks will make it - but then who cares about history.....?

History would suggest that not all three of our top picks will make it - but then who cares about history.....?

F##k history, Looking back at last year we're all pretty confident about Morton, Grimes and Maric. I reckon everyone of our picks including Jurrah and the rookies will play some good footy for us

yep..peoples kicking actions dont change. just ask bate and jones

I watched his entire first game for Sandy 1's and thought he had a great kicking style, hitting lots of targets.

yep..peoples kicking actions dont change. just ask bate and jones

Ask Charles Manson, Warwick Capper and Justin Madden. Grimes kicking is fine.

I watched his entire first game for Sandy 1's and thought he had a great kicking style, hitting lots of targets.

So did I.

I'm still a bit confused about why people hate Bate's kick. The guy calmly slots them from 60 VERY often. It's not an attractive style, but then neither is McLean's. I reckon Bate's kick is one of his weapons.

Every pick we made is critical, as we were not even competitive last season. We need to grow some very good footballers, some blue and white collar ones.

A mate of mine (Hawks supporter) thinks Blease is a cracker as he watched him this year. Swears he should have gone first round. This fills me with some confidence, he could be a future club champion.

Strauss looked good, and could be anything. They say Bail is ready to go being a mature age draftee. He could add some depth, or even carve out a senior spot for his own.

The real win will be if the indigenous boys can come through and tear the afl apart. Jurrah, Jetta and Bennell could be anything, from a wasted pick to a league sensation. You just never know. Flash came off the rookie list, and changed that game.

I would say given the state of the club, and the picks being critical for the clubs future, the future looks to be in good hands. Great hands? time will tell.

Strauss for mine is the really interesting one to watch due to his finishing attributes he is coming with. Skills and lack of finishing hurt us more then anything else this year. I think your right on the money here with these 2, but they might take a couple of years to develop before we can ask too much of them.

The more I consider Strauss, the more I think he has the potential to be what the Dees have not had in the entire time I've watched them. A complete inside footballer.

Now we all like Blease for his footskills and pace, but there's countless players with those attributes who either lost their way, or had their potential stunted by bigger bodies, taggers etc etc. This is not to say Blease will be the next Ooze... but I certainly see him as having startling strengths, and some potential weaknesses that might hurt him in finals football.

Strauss on the other hand is, and this may seem silly to say, pretty close to the complete inside player. Good in the clinches, startling vision and hands, an elite kick both under pressure and on the run... He may not have monstered matches, but if you look at his game, he's the closest to that magic type of midfielder you need... that isn't JUST an outsider (Trav) or JUST an insider (Jones), but a bit of both. Effectively, when a player like that is "on" they are like having two players.

Time will tell whether he goes on to develop, but theoretically I can see this kid becoming a bit of a barometer for the side... Unless we get a couple of star mids that compete with him, of the ilk of Scully. It's early days, I know, so take it with a grain of salt... But I reckon Strauss is the one to watch... Behind Jesus Watts, of course.

strauss is most certainly NOT an inside midfielder...and he never will be. he is an elite athlete and an elite kick...we need his running game. i think he will also be the one to kick the ball back in after a behind

Well then we have different views on what an inside midfielder vs outside midfielder means. From what I've seen he is great under the pump and makes great choices when surrounded.

If you mean that he's not the last guy to pick himself up off the bottom of packs a la Nathan Jones, then fair enough, I've not seen him do that... But I reckon he does enough of the body on body stuff. Plus, it's very early days. He has a little size to him. Maybe that core of Jones/McLean types can instill that hardass quality in him if he doesn't have it already.

ive watched strauss play live twice (maybe three times but didnt know who he was then) and his precision kicking from the kick-ins is second to none. most impressively, even in the last quarter, he is able to half a minute later, gather another possesion right in the middle, and if you werent concentrating, you wouldnt even know that he was the guy that kicked the ball in.

strauss is most certainly NOT an inside midfielder...and he never will be. he is an elite athlete and an elite kick...we need his running game. i think he will also be the one to kick the ball back in after a behind

Had a closer look... and I might retract that about the insider part. I like that he goes and gets his own footy... and that he's not solely a skinny guy who streams around a wing picking up soft possessions. But yes, you're right, he's not a Judd-like contested possession winner.