Shane Valenti

Gouga

I think the club should pass on its pick in the PSD and promote Valenti instead.

Don't see the point of having a ready made player, maybe best 22, unavailable to play. The rookie list is for developing players. If we promote Valenti we have four spots to select players that aren't quite ready for whatever reason in the rookie draft. We probably will still get our choice of Rockcliff or Sibosado then so we won't lose out on a chance to bolster our KPPs.

We should pay back some of the commitment Valenti has shown, especially considering two unexpected (at season's end) spots on our list opened because one player wasn't committed enough and the other wasn't disciplined enough.

Thoughts?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. He is not a ready made player and not best 22. If they thought he was good enough they would have elevated him. They dont. And unless they were going to pick him in the AFL side in 2009, I would keep him as a rookie until needed.

Its not about paying back commitment. We are not a charity. If so we would still have Simon Godfrey on our list.

I really feel for Valenti and I am a fan.

He is a good little in and under who has very good hands and wins the footy. He is limited by a lack of pace and penetration in his kicking. The problem is we have numerous players with these limitations and the club has drafted players with pace and kicking as strengths.

No. He is not a ready made player and not best 22. If they thought he was good enough they would have elevated him. They dont. And unless they were going to pick him in the AFL side in 2009, I would keep him as a rookie until needed.

Its not about paying back commitment. We are not a charity. If so we would still have Simon Godfrey on our list.

His performances last season were well above those of some 'best 22' players. and i think he is ready made. he is physically developed, he has proven he has the necessary courage and tenacity

in what sense is he not ready made?

We should not elevate him instead of partaking in the PSD. Valenti staying on the RL allows us to get the most talent that we can.

He certainly does deserve a place on our list. He is definitely in the mix for senior selection.

Injuries happen, and the new rule that allows a RL player to play after Rd 11 is a godsend for players in his position.

Besides he'll be ready long before our other rookies and a few on the senior list

We should not elevate him instead of partaking in the PSD. Valenti staying on the RL allows us to get the most talent that we can.

He certainly does deserve a place on our list. He is definitely in the mix for senior selection.

Injuries happen, and the new rule that allows a RL player to play after Rd 11 is a godsend for players in his position.

we have the rookie draft to rack up some more talent. injuries will happen but i think valenti is to good not to have available week in week out

His performances last season were well above those of some 'best 22' players. and i think he is ready made. he is physically developed, he has proven he has the necessary courage and tenacity

in what sense is he not ready made?

Like who???

Where do you see the improvement coming from in 2009 for Valenti when he lacks pace and penetration in his kicking?

Given what we were focussing on in the ND (ex Watts) players who have pace and can use the ball, Valenti is not part of that mix.

FWIW, Simon Godfrey had the necessary tenacity and courage, but........

If MFC are serious about improving as top line club Valenti's "ready made" might cut it in a C grade midfield but wont do it as the standard rises.

We know what we get from Valenti and there are question marks. I would hope we use the pick on a player that has greater upside with development.

Like who???

Where do you see the improvement coming from in 2009 for Valenti when he lacks pace and penetration in his kicking?

Given what we were focussing on in the ND (ex Watts) players who have pace and can use the ball.

FWIW, Simon Godfrey had the necessary tenacity and courage, but........

If MFC are serious about improving as top line club Valenti's "ready made" might cut it in a C grade midfield but wont do it as the standard rises.

We know what we get from Valenti and there are question marks. I would hope we use the pick on a player that has greater upside with development.

Jones, Davey, Bell, Bartram, Carroll, Newton, Frawley, Bode, Weetra...

I'd have his performances last season ahead of all those.

If we know what we get and it is not good enough why didn't he get delisted? I think the club couldn't justify promoting him when it looked like there would only be 6 changes to the list. Fair enough. With Carroll and Johnson now gone there is a couple of spots our footy dept. weren't expecting to be there at seasons end.

He is a good little in and under who has very good hands and wins the footy. He is limited by a lack of pace and penetration in his kicking. The problem is we have numerous players with these limitations and the club has drafted players with pace and kicking as strengths.

We have very few, if any, players who have good hands and wins the footy. Valenti has good vision by hand and foot, and lack of penetration in his kicking should not be an issue with the way Bailey wants us to play.

That said, I don't think we should forego no. 1 pick in the PSD. I'd imagine that Robbo would be on the long term injury list, hence Valenti would be available for selection come round 1 if he's deemed good enough.

I think there is a proviso or two involved, but don't the new rookie rules enable us to have one of our rookies (at any given time) playing senior footy without actually elevating them?

I think there is a proviso or two involved, but don't the new rookie rules enable us to have one of our rookies (at any given time) playing senior footy without actually elevating them?

I haven't heard that rule but that might explain why he wasn't promoted. Does that mean he'll be available round 1?

Jones, Davey, Bell, Bartram, Carroll, Newton, Frawley, Bode, Weetra...

I'd have his performances last season ahead of all those.

If we know what we get and it is not good enough why didn't he get delisted? I think the club couldn't justify promoting him when it looked like there would only be 6 changes to the list. Fair enough. With Carroll and Johnson now gone there is a couple of spots our footy dept. weren't expecting to be there at seasons end.

Because he was rookied.

You are kidding if you think that the Footy Dept did not think Carroll was gone and the CJ was a low priority

As for your players.... if you going to compare Valenti then you do so against the players who also play his role and we have a surplus of those type in quantity not quality. I dont see what Valenti adds.

BTW Bode, Weetra and Carroll are gone...moot point in comparison to Valenti.

Davey was hardly interested this year and Jones went backwards in a big way. I don't think I'm being unfair.

Harsh.

With the injury to McLean, Jones played No 1 in the midfield at MFC at the age of 20. It was a tough year in a C grade midfield. Jones might not be a star in the future but I would back doing more with Jones than I can with Valenti.

And I am not sure Davey and Valenti are a reasonable comparison either.

I think you're talking about nominated rookies for clubs who don't have veterans. I think Jmac and Robbo? are our veterans so Valenti will have to wait for an injury.

I'm a massive fan of Valenti but he'll need to find some pace and depth in his kicking in the preseason. If he can somehow find that, i'll definitely have him in my best 22.

Harsh.

With the injury to McLean, Jones played No 1 in the midfield at MFC at the age of 20. It was a tough year in a C grade midfield. Jones might not be a star in the future but I would back doing more with Jones than I can with Valenti.

And I am not sure Davey and Valenti are a reasonable comparison either.

Harsh?

Valenti performed better in that same C grade midfield. Jones' problem wasn't the extra attention. Still got plenty of it. It was his terrible decision making and disposal. That area of his game went backwards. He was struggling with that before McLean went down anyway.

And it is not one or the other like you imply, both can play in the same team.

And why isn't Davey and Valenti a fair comparison? Statistically Valenti was better, and applied himself to a much greater extent. Davey is the talent, but even you might concede Valenti trumped him in application?

I've seen him kick a goal into the wind from outside 50Mtrs, down at Sandy.

I think the issue is that most want Valenti to be available to play senior footy and at some stage next year he will. Therefore what Mo says is right and we would be silly to give up PSD 1 for the sake of having him available for the first eleven rounds. In this way we have our cake and eat it too.

The club needs to take every possible avenue to get good senior footballers on the list.

Gouga you are right, Valenti is stiff but we should not give up a Sibasado, Hayes or Rockliff.

I think the issue is that most want Valenti to be available to play senior footy and at some stage next year he will. Therefore what Mo says is right and we would be silly to give up PSD 1 for the sake of having him available for the first eleven rounds. In this way we have our cake and eat it too.

The club needs to take every possible avenue to get good senior footballers on the list.

Gouga you are right, Valenti is stiff but we should not give up a Sibasado, Hayes or Rockliff.

The PSD is not the honey pot it used to be. We are not giving up anything we couldn't have selected draft day.

Rockcliff and Sibasado weren't drafted for whatever reason. They are candidates for rookie lists. Unless we have another Martin up our sleeves I'd prefer to promote Valenti and free up four spots on our rookie list for players that will take time.

The PSD is not the honey pot it used to be. We are not giving up anything we couldn't have selected draft day.

Rockcliff and Sibasado weren't drafted for whatever reason. They are candidates for rookie lists. Unless we have another Martin up our sleeves I'd prefer to promote Valenti and free up four spots on our rookie list for players that will take time.

Precisely my point. Why forgo someone like Martin for Valenti when you can have Martin and Valenti.

Massive fan of valenti. Although id prefer to take a risk in pre season draft in picking up someone.

Valenti's Kicking is fine people who are judging him on his kicking and penetraition havnt seen him play in the vfl.

His kicking wasnt below average and he's ability to get the ball in and under and rack up the possesions was something that really excited me.