Cam Bruce Captain?

Yencks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your reply to me was condescending and rude. Calling someone a non-thinker and claiming that Brock was "my boyfriend", is an extremely childish and silly way of bringing across your point. Furthermore, as you seem to follow me around this board, replying to any Bruce-related post, it's pretty obvious you only got on your high horse because Bruce's name was involved.

And what on earth does playing football have to do with understanding leadership? I deal with leadership issues everyday in my studies and my work (and have taken various leadership roles in both). Besides, it is not a prerequisite of this board that you must have played the game to comment on the game. When was the last time you pulled on a Melbourne jumper? :rolleyes:

I also bet that I have a far better understanding of the army than you, so please, get off your moral high ground.

If you don't want to hear me or other posters' comments on issues relating to Bruce, place us on the Ignore List, or better still, stop reading.

I can assure you that this is going to be the very last time I engage in this idiotic and pointless Bruce debate with you, particularly as I have not expressed any offensive or inappropriate opinions, so you can stop wasting your time (and mine).

Even though we finished last I think that Bailey did a good job with rebuilding the team, except for the leadership issue. Clearly he got it wrong at the start of the year but hopefully he'll have learnt from his mistake.

Whilst I don't agree that he clearly got it wrong, as this 2007 season has panned out I believe it needs re-addressing. It's an important issue Bailey needs to get right. I would be interested to know if the football department ask for opinions from their peers in the AFL ranks. From an external perspective. As well as what they know from the inner sanctum.

Jaded, (at least I address people), thank you for the courtesy of answering my post. I did not however receive an answer to the question, " When did I mention Bruce's name in my post?" Never mind, let's be thankful for small mercies. You are the one who gets on your high horse when anyone dares to challenge your opinions. That you can't deny. As far as pulling on a Melbourne jumper my answer is 'never' but I pulled on the Ormond jumper when they were in A Grade Amateurs for quite a few seasons. By the way I will read what I wish and not be directed by you as to what I should and shouldn't read. Very bossy conduct.

Just because you played "A Grade Amateurs" doesn't mean you know more about football than someone who hasn't.

By what you're implying Jamar would know about football than everyone on here combined (which he well could but you get the point)

Did you follow the debate or just reply to that one post? Sounds like the latter

I will cringe if Bruce is made captain.

I'd rather we did not have one than Bruce as captain, I truly beleive he offers nothing in on field leadership that you can see, Nor do I see him stand up and try and change a game like really good captains do.

Harley does, he backs into pack and takes the mark, marshalls the whole back line and the mids, When he says things out on the filed they are respected and done

Except his half-time speech in the GF! :D

Neitz was given a fairly hard time when he was captain, but at least no-one doubted his courage... so while he wasn't a great talker, he could lead BY EXAMPLE...

Bruce isn't the hardest player going 'round, we know this... but he is a contributor in games, whether posters on here will admit to it or not. He's one of the senior players at the club, and one of the "other" options...

We all know McLean will be captain one day (unless one of these other young guys gives him a run for his money, and even then, they'd have to win a brownlow, a norm-smith and cure cancer)... the ONLY question is when... and if it's not in season 2009, then who is to take his place as interim captain? As far as I'm concerned, the question is as simple as that.

And really? The captain in 2009, a season we already KNOW will give as at the MOST 6-8 wins, is about tenth on the to-do list...

What we're doing here is giving the captaincy to a player who deserves it, it's not going to make the difference between 4th an 5th spot on the ladder, or change the result of a prelim.

In 2010, they'll look and see if we show genuine signs of climbing again, we'll do this over from the beginning. But a 22 round captain? Is there really this much need for fuss?

f it's not in season 2009, then who is to take his place as interim captain? As far as I'm concerned, the question is as simple as that.

And really? The captain in 2009, a season we already KNOW will give as at the MOST 6-8 wins, is about tenth on the to-do list...

What we're doing here is giving the captaincy to a player who deserves it, it's not going to make the difference between 4th an 5th spot on the ladder, or change the result of a prelim.

To the contrary, as 2009 is a rebuilding year, having a strong leader at the top is of extreme importance.

The captain will help set the tone not just for next year, but for years to come, which is why I would like to see someone at the top who embodies what I believe is the values and attributes necessary to win a flag. We may not win a prelim final, but what we do next year can and will influence whether or not we win one in the near future.

To the contrary, as 2009 is a rebuilding year, having a strong leader at the top is of extreme importance.

The captain will help set the tone not just for next year, but for years to come, which is why I would like to see someone at the top who embodies what I believe is the values and attributes necessary to win a flag. We may not win a prelim final, but what we do next year can and will influence whether or not we win one in the near future.

Ok... So would you say picking the perfect captain would make more of a difference now than it would coming into a year where you're a premiership threat?

I would have thought that the LEAST important time to pick a captain would be now in our premiership clock (for lack of a better term). Which is not to say it's COMPLETELY unimportant, but we're not picking the captain of the Australian cricket team here...

Besides...

The truth is, NONE of our players over 25 really embody what we want as a skipper. Green does, but he has his doubters... Miller does but his form only picked up 22 rounds ago, and since then he's hardly been threatening to win the Coleman. JMac does, but he's older than ME!!!

And where is it written that a courageous player is the be-all and end-all... The player has to be able to get on the park (rules JMac out, as there must be doubts about him holding up) Must be able to play well (Miller COULD do this, but going on last year still has some sins to make up for) and must be a vocal leader as well (I hear Green has a mouth, but more as a sledger, not an inspirer)...

None of the leaders scream out to be picked... and in the end it's only temporary... Everyone knows this!

Guest Schtacker
Needs to stop doing doughies in the car park and stay out of pub brawls first

yeah the next time one of his mates gets into a blue he should just quietly exit the establishment and leave him on his own, that would make him a fine leader

we're asking him to be captain of an elite club of one of the hardest sports there is - not to be captain of the robbie williams fan club

and you want some nice guy? the type of footy we've been playing the last decade? fine, make it bruce then

and doughies in the car park? ooooh what a naughty boy COME OFF IT

some of you people should really be following another sport, like badminton, or at least not the side I support :unsure:

That's not the point Morto. If he was 20 and doing burnouts then fine, but he then shouldn't have been made captain of an AFL club.

I want Green with Mclean deputy, give it to Mclean as the Demon machine starts rolling at the end of 2010

Guest Schtacker
How is doing doughies and speeding 'good leadership' or 'being hard'?

The type of mind that would even consider someone's history of traffic offenses in consideration for the captain of the Melbourne Football Club is really not the type of person I can even stomach wearing red and blue, I don't care how few mebers we have

As for his so-called 'brawling' WHICH NONE OF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT btw, we ask these blokes to run out there and get absolutely pummelled by 22 monsters intent on hurting them. Imperative to ANY football side is that you play hard and back your mates and being labelled soft is about the toughest insult you can be dealt. I couldn't give a stuff who he has bumped into in the off season we have been a pack of nancies for too long and its about time we had some mongrel at the helm. Make Moloney, Miller and Whelan his deputies these are the only blokes with any ticker and who give a stuff.