lets rain on their parade!!

Bails

i have heard the same and the rumour is that he is a quality player and Geelong are only offering him rookie coz they have no room on there list.... if hes in the draft he will be a mid to late pick and is meant to be a ball magnet!!! definitely wont be around in the PSD but if were to get him with pick 51 i would be extremely happy.....

We can't even drip on their parade in this instance. The kid is a NSW scholarship player and Geelong has first call on his services and can automatically rookie list him. We, on the other hand have neglected this area in the past because of a lack of funds so while many clubs have up to 4 NSW boys on their lists, we have one - and he didn't even make the NSW final squad of 25 for the Under 18 champs this year (although he his eligible again by a few days next year).

Whispering you are wrong!!!!

he doesnt have to do anything...... he will get drafted to an AFL list......HOW? he will reject geelongs offer, say thanks very much but im off to another AFL club through the draft!!!

he does not have to accept geelong's offer and he wont!

We can't even drip on their parade in this instance. The kid is a NSW scholarship player and Geelong has first call on his services and can automatically rookie list him.

From the article, it sounds like he may be up for grabs.

Some believe Ediriwickrama, who captained the NSW/ACT RAMS during this year’s national championships before later playing in Pennant Hills’ senior premiership in the Sydney AFL competition, could be selected with a second or third-round pick should he nominate for the draft.

“We’ve offered Ranga a spot on our rookie list for next season,” Balme told afl.com.au on Tuesday.

“So we’re just waiting to see whether he accepts that or whether he takes his chances in the draft.”

A possibility for pick 35?

he doesnt have to do anything...... he will get drafted to an AFL list......HOW? he will reject geelongs offer, say thanks very much but im off to another AFL club through the draft!!!

Did you hear this from the horses mouth!

if he rejects Geelong then he goes into the draft and he is treated like any other applicant!!

according to reports he is a ball magnet, a great kid and very keen to play in the AFL!!!

i think he could be a possibility...

oh and he is sri Lankan!!

Did you hear this from the horses mouth!

of course its true. why on earth would a player who would most likely be picked up in the first half of the draft(in my opinion) CHOOSE to be picked up as a rookie, whereby he gets paid LESS MONEY and can't even get a game. geez, u guys are friggen stupid

If Geelong are willing to rookie him and hes from Sydney i reckon we should tell him to tell geelong to back off and we should take him in PSD (assuming he gets there) !!

anyone know him? can he play?

Thoughts?

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tab...px?newsId=68994

Just reading Balmey's comments & reading between the lines I think the Cats are intending to take him by his agreement of a rookie position, so as to save themselves a 3rd or 4th rnd pick which they would then use to pock another talented kis on top of Ranga.

In short, they won't let him slip.

of course its true. why on earth would a player who would most likely be picked up in the first half of the draft(in my opinion) CHOOSE to be picked up as a rookie, whereby he gets paid LESS MONEY and can't even get a game. geez, u guys are friggen stupid

but he may not feel he is gauranteed to get picked up (unless he is told so)

and if he rejects geelongs offer; they will probably make it better and if not, maybe they dont see enough in him to be taken with a high pick

Geelong are asking him to not nominate for the draft, as the scholarship arrangement is that Geelong may automatically rookie list him if both parties agree.

If he decides that rookie listing isn't his thing, then into the draft he goes and anyone can grab him.

No idea where he'd go, though - the past hype has been about 'such a promising scholarship player', which is a whole other world from 'Tac cup star'.

I have a soft spot in me 'ol heart for Sri Lanka, so I'd be stoked.

Sounds like a real talent. Geelong will draft him should he nominate anyway. He would be a great draft addition in the red and blue, but what kid would not want to step into the best side in the comp? Money is on him going to Geelong sadly.

Seems like a bit of a futile system.

Whats the point of a club spending time, effort money and good will into a scholarship player, only for them to say, "sorry guys, I am off to the draft"?

Shouldnt or wouldnt the club have priority pick???

Geelong have got the option of taking him as a priority, but it would mean that they would have to delist another player. If this kid is anything special, I would have delisted Shannon Byrnes, whose contract has yet to be finalised.

We'd definitely have to look at him if he was available. He is a talented player, and he'd probably go somewhere from pick 20-40 I'd suggest. Wouldnt take him with 17 or 19, but would have to seriously consider him at 35 if he were there still.

Probably not going to happen anyway. He will knock them back, then they will give up pick 49 for him. They're just trying to use the system to it's fullest potential.

Each AFL club has to have four draft selections in the National Draft.... Geelong currently only have four selection and if they priority pick him (for their last pick) they need another selection ie. delist a player.... They are trying to get him on the rookie list but you would assume he will enter the draft.... Geelong may still pick him up but so can all the other clubs

My bet's still on him continuing his relationship with Geelong. They have been looking after him for a some time and I heard Neil Balme talking on radio about him in glowing terms a while ago - didn't sound as if they were going to give him up very easily.

If Geelong can choose whether to offer him a spot on the rookie list or a spot on the senior list, then of course their first choice is going to be the rookie list. It means he'll come much cheaper, they don't have to spend a draft pick in the national draft to get him, and they don't have to bother figuring out who to delist to get him on the list.

He'll knock back their offer for a spot on the rookie list, then they'll offer him a spot on the senior list. It's just negotiations. I strongly doubt he'll nominate for the ND.

If Geelong can choose whether to offer him a spot on the rookie list or a spot on the senior list, then of course their first choice is going to be the rookie list. It means he'll come much cheaper, they don't have to spend a draft pick in the national draft to get him, and they don't have to bother figuring out who to delist to get him on the list.

He'll knock back their offer for a spot on the rookie list, then they'll offer him a spot on the senior list. It's just negotiations. I strongly doubt he'll nominate for the ND.

Look for this to occur more & more when the GC_17 have their picks in 2010, a good way of getting some talent alongside the draft.

That's all very nice in theory, but the reality is that Geelong have to delist someone before they can offer him a spot on their senior list.

Do you believe that playing Russian Roulette with an existing player's career is part of their negotiation process?

That's all very nice in theory, but the reality is that Geelong have to delist someone before they can offer him a spot on their senior list.

Do you believe that playing Russian Roulette with an existing player's career is part of their negotiation process?

I know they would have to delist someone to give him a spot on the senior list. I even said that in my post.

To answer your question, if this guy is better than the existing player, then yes, I believe they will drop the existing player like a hot cake if necessary. But first they'll try the option where they don't have to drop anyone.