Watts wont be a key forward at AFL level

Yze_Magic

Y_M'll just bump his threads where he hailed Watts as the messiah :)

PS. It doesn't matter if fans on here 'support' particular players :P You should have learned this with Miller.

Touche my dear Rogue......

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching Jack now for the past 2 years - and while he is impressive, I've got him down on my list at #6.

Yes he's quick,

Yes he's agile,

Yes he's athletic,

Yes he can hit targets,

... YES he's soft.

I've got my question marks over whether he'd have the grunt to play as a KP player in the AFL.

Watts isn't soft, although there's a fair argument to mount that nothing hard has ever come out of Brighton Grammar.

I've seen Jack live 3 times and will be amazed and saddened if we don't select him. He's the third fastest tested over 20 metres in draft camp history (he would've won most years), and he came second out of 75 in the agility test. Not to mention his other high placings in other various tests. All at the key position size of 196cms. His ability to evade opponents when the ball is on the deck, his excellent foot skills, and superb marking, which his coach David Dickson described as the best he's seen, makes him an extraordinary talent.

Six months ago he was 16 yet you question his grunt ? It's great to make unsubstantiated throw away lines.

I reckon this is the break the MFC has needed. Watts will be a star.

From todays Herald-Sun:

The 2.82 time put Watts in the top 1 per cent of the 1500 players tested in the history of AFL draft camps.

He was the quickest non-indigenous player tested in 15 years until Ashley Smith came along a short time later and clocked 2.80.

Watts is a 195cm forward. Smith is a more standard sprinter's size at 185cm.

Not content with smashing convention in the 20m, Watts finished second in the agility test, usually the domain of nippy midfielders.

No player of Watts' height has been as quick or agile in the history of testing.

"Way above anything that has been seen," AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said yesterday.

Enough said really. Watts No. 1.

From todays Herald-Sun:

The 2.82 time put Watts in the top 1 per cent of the 1500 players tested in the history of AFL draft camps.

He was the quickest non-indigenous player tested in 15 years until Ashley Smith came along a short time later and clocked 2.80.

Watts is a 195cm forward. Smith is a more standard sprinter's size at 185cm.

Not content with smashing convention in the 20m, Watts finished second in the agility test, usually the domain of nippy midfielders.

No player of Watts' height has been as quick or agile in the history of testing.

"Way above anything that has been seen," AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said yesterday.

Enough said really. Watts No. 1.

It would be interesting to see all of Franklin's test results. I wonder if anyone could find and post them. I'm not sure where to look.

It would be interesting to see all of Franklin's test results. I wonder if anyone could find and post them. I'm not sure where to look.

Couldn't find individual test results, but he wasn't in the Top 10 for anything except height.

And just so everyone knows, Haydo is a relative of Jack Watts.

That was proven over on Demonology.

No it wasn't.

Your twisted mind couldn't handle that someone roundly thrashed your vapid arguments, so you decided that accusing Haydo of bias was the only way to restore your *ahem* credibility.

Couldn't find individual test results, but he wasn't in the Top 10 for anything except height.

That could mean anything though.

He could have been injured or just thought "I'm Buddy Franklin, I don't need to do these stupid tests".

I read somewhere he and Mark Williams are the 2 quickest at Hawthorn over 20metres

Just before everyone gets their hopes up that we have drafted a star forward in the mould of Carey, Riewoldt, Brown etc

Watts will be a utility at AFL level, and will either turn into the next James Hird or another Aaron Fiora type.

If we draft him, you better hope it is the former.

He's 10-12kg and 3-4 years away from being absolutely cherry ripe as a CHF, right on time to join the other 13 or so top 20 draft picks in our first serious chance of a premiership since the late 80's. Think Gary Lyon but bigger and better. His coach rates him as the best overhead mark he has ever seen!

I read somewhere that he was quite a talented basketballer aswell, probably where his agility has been developed.

His vision and awareness would also have to be above average.

More likelier by the day to go no.1.

Getting excited.

I read somewhere that he was quite a talented basketballer aswell, probably where his agility has been developed.

His vision and awareness would also have to be above average.

More likelier by the day to go no.1.

Getting excited.

Let's all stop replying to Yze_Magic's post.

He writes absolute rubbish and we are only massaging his ego.

Let's have a moratorium for this tool.

Just before everyone gets their hopes up that we have drafted a star forward in the mould of Carey, Riewoldt, Brown etc

Watts will be a utility at AFL level, and will either turn into the next James Hird or another Aaron Fiora type.

If we draft him, you better hope it is the former.

I am beginning to realise how little you know about football

Watts has KPP written all over him and his ability to make well timed leads indicates to me his ability to play FORWARD

I remember people saying similar things about a young raw skinny kid from tasmania

his name was Royce Hart

They're only really similar in the position they play and some physical attributes.

Riewoldt is a super endurance athlete but hasn't got a fantastic turning circles whereas Watts' endurance would be a little lower but he's a twinkle toes

Both credited as having super hands and a good football brain though

He's 10-12kg and 3-4 years away from being absolutely cherry ripe as a CHF, right on time to join the other 13 or so top 20 draft picks in our first serious chance of a premiership since the late 80's. Think Gary Lyon but bigger and better. His coach rates him as the best overhead mark he has ever seen!

sylvias coach also labelled him as the next riccuito. coaches just pull crap out every year to better the drafting chances of their players

sylvias coach also labelled him as the next riccuito. coaches just pull crap out every year to better the drafting chances of their players

Had Sylvia not been cruelled by OP (He is yet to do a full preseason with this club) he may well have been that good. Barring injury and a little maturity that comes with age he may well still be. Let's hope so because he's got the talent.

Guest unstable punt
When was Morton a CHF? He played most of his junior football for Claremont and WA running along the wings and flanks. He has key position height, but don't think he's played much KP because of his twig-like body shape.

he was a KPP player when younger, he said in an interview on 774 he hopes to become a KPP when he bulks up

Guest unstable punt

have to say we were never going to win a flag in the 80's although maybe 87 if things had panned out, Hawthorn was too powerful and WC were starting to become powerful after that. I would say it will be the best chance since 64 when we last won a flag.

After seeing Watts' draft camp results I'm happy to concede my earlier misgivings about the kid and acknowledge that he should be taken at 1, not because he is a KPP, but purely because he is the best kid in this year's draft. Any doubts I had about him were dismissed after seeing his response to going to a bottom club. He really seems to have a fire in his belly to succeed, which was a concern that I had over him.

I happy for him to continually prove me wrong ;)

After seeing Watts' draft camp results I'm happy to concede my earlier misgivings about the kid and acknowledge that he should be taken at 1, not because he is a KPP, but purely because he is the best kid in this year's draft. Any doubts I had about him were dismissed after seeing his response to going to a bottom club. He really seems to have a fire in his belly to succeed, which was a concern that I had over him.

I happy for him to continually prove me wrong ;)

Welcome to the 'dark side' Jarka..... ;)

The force is strong in you.

Watts isn't soft, although there's a fair argument to mount that nothing hard has ever come out of Brighton Grammar.

I've seen Jack live 3 times and will be amazed and saddened if we don't select him. He's the third fastest tested over 20 metres in draft camp history (he would've won most years), and he came second out of 75 in the agility test. Not to mention his other high placings in other various tests. All at the key position size of 196cms. His ability to evade opponents when the ball is on the deck, his excellent foot skills, and superb marking, which his coach David Dickson described as the best he's seen, makes him an extraordinary talent.

Six months ago he was 16 yet you question his grunt ? It's great to make unsubstantiated throw away lines.

I reckon this is the break the MFC has needed. Watts will be a star.

I'm surprised to see you place so much emphasis on test results.

I think there's a fair amount of evidence to suggest that drafting kids can sometimes become a "fad" type of industry. Franklin is the most exciting footballer to be seen in recent memory, and many coaches have said it's his physical characteristics that set him apart from the rest, and make him such a headache for players and opposition coaches. Thus the fantasists (who shall remain nameless... we all know who we're thinking of) get on the Naitanui bandwagon, and suggest that since he broke a record or two in vertical leaps he'll be the same story as Buddy...

Well if THAT'S true, then the same must be true of Watts. He's shown just as much athletic freakishness, only you can also throw in a turning circle, skill, a brain... There's just too much evidence to ignore him. It's Watts as #1.

It didn't take Garry Lyon 3-4 years to make an impact at AFL level, so how the hell can you say that Watts will be a better player than Lyon?

BTW, we had serious chances of winning the flag in 1990, 1994 and 1998.