• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mock Trades

Jerry Lundergard

I thought i would start a thread for people to put forward their mock trades for the MFC this coming trade period. Undoubtedly there will be some garbage trdaes posted on here, but you need to think about what other clubs might want of us, and what we need in return.

1. Jarred Rivers to the Hawks for their first round pick(13-16).

We all love Riv, but we are develpoing a number of key defenders at the moment, and the truth is Rivers has been struggling to consistently get on the field over the last few seasons. The Hawks have their window open at the moment, and lack another quality key defender to shore up their defense. It would be a high risk/high reward punt on their part. This would give us a 4th pick in the top 20.

2. James Frawley to St Kilda for David Armitage.

Once again i feel we could probably afford to give up a defender, and as i beleive the Saints were keen on Frawley last year and has links to the club through Spud, they may still be interested. This would also allow them free up of Goddard to more of a midfield role instead of a defensive one. Armitage was a pick 9 in the same draft as Frawley and has struggled for regular game in their midfield. I feel he could be a good addition to ours, as he can get forward and kick a goal as well.

Well there is two to start the ball rolling. I may post some more as they come to me but i'd be interested to read some more that demonlanders can come up with.

Jarred Rivers is an integral part of our experienced group we\re so short of.

Frawley will be a very good player, just not ready, yet.

No way the Saints will let Armitage go as they are so short of goer mids, it aint funny. They also appear to have numerous 192cm backs.

However I do agree with your thinking that we'll need to @ least try something to get some extra quality low picks.

Now having seen the excepted AFL / GC-17 draft concessions, next years draft will not be weakened anywhere near as much as I had expected.

So next year (2009 draft) will be our last chance to Grab the missing links if we are to follow Hawthorns lead to build our potential Premiership team of kids. So in saying that I see us being around ladder position 11th / 12th @ the end of 2009.

Young Butcher will be a must pick for many clubs as he will be available next years draft.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more evidence about CJ rumour- This guy from ology usually says correct things-

After hearing that as a player you must think to yourself- If they dont really want me maybe i should look to get traded home?

Interesting. The other option is Nathan Carroll (from WA); but I wouldn't imagine Freo would want him. If CJ wants to stay; good on him. The Mfc may have planted the seed in his head and given him time to contemplate...

After hearing that as a player you must think to yourself- If they dont really want me maybe i should look to get traded home?

On the other hand, as a club hearing that one of your players doesn't want to go home because he wants to stay at the club, maybe a new contract should be offered.

If Brad Green can't come to terms with Melbourne:

Green and Melbourne's fourth round draft pick for Carlton's second (pick 24) and third rounder (pick 39). I doubt Green would screw the club over and walk in the PSD without MFC getting compensation.

R Warnock for Melbourne's third round draft pick. If Warnock walks out of Freo, I reckon they'll negotiate a deal out of goodwill so Freo get a little bit of compensation. We can trade our 3rd round pick (39) which we received in the above Green trade, and still retain our original 3rd round draft pick.

And we will use our PSD pick on a kid that got overlooked in the national draft. Apart from Warnock, I feel that the club has no interest in picking up players with AFL experience. (I would be personally targetting Cousins with our 3rd round pick or in the PSD if available as I don't believe in a total rebuild, but that's another story)

Primsall will re-sign at Geelong for less money than he could recieve elsewhere. They just seem so tight knit down there and he'll want to chase the holy-grail.

So going into the draft (assuming we finish last) we will have picks 1, 17, 19, 24 (acquired off Green trade) and 34. Plus we get Robbie Warnock and pick 1 in the PSD!

I should be MFC's list manager :lol:

Interesting. The other option is Nathan Carroll (from WA); but I wouldn't imagine Freo would want him. If CJ wants to stay; good on him. The Mfc may have planted the seed in his head and given him time to contemplate...

Freo have already had Nathan Carroll (and disposed of him, we worked out long ago that he's not much good) plus he doesn't fit in wit the 'youth' policy that is currently in vogue (it's not just Melbourne who are looking to youth).

The West Australian is reporting today that Warnock is not expected to go to Melbourne, even if he does return to Victoria. Carlton are making a big play for him, but he still hasn't decided to leave Freo.

The Rivers one is a pipe dream, No one would offer a top 20 pick right now, not with his body being so un-reliable. Thjus its better to keep him, and reap the potential benefits, as if fit, worth to much to trade..

I always like the sound of Bell for Jericho..

Also Green for Boyle and a pick (25-35)..

Prissmal also would be graet, dunno what we could offer cats, id say they would only take picks, so pick 19 perhaps.

Freo have already had Nathan Carroll (and disposed of him, we worked out long ago that he's not much good) plus he doesn't fit in wit the 'youth' policy that is currently in vogue (it's not just Melbourne who are looking to youth).

The West Australian is reporting today that Warnock is not expected to go to Melbourne, even if he does return to Victoria. Carlton are making a big play for him, but he still hasn't decided to leave Freo.

Jungle drums are beating......Melbourne and Freo could be contemplating swapping picks 1 and 3? Probably...has something to do with Warnock....It would enable Freo to choose Naitanui or Rich ahaead of West Coast. Watts at 3 for Melbourne. (West Coast No.2 =Rich, Naitanui).

We now actually have depth in key defensive positions for the first time since I started followng the Dees in the early 70s. And some of my fellow supprters are sugesting we trade some of them!

Rivers has so much upside. Some have forgotten how good he was - out of mind out of sight I guess - his abilty to read the play to mark opposition kicks into defence, his clever spoiling and general footy smarts. Personally I can't wait to see us run out and have the luxury of not having to use him on the opposition;s best tall forward, give him a licence to use his footy smarts and marking/spoiling to their best effect.

Reilly & 11

for

Green & 17.

Won't happen Chopper. You seriously think Adelaide would trade a younger player and an earlier draft pick for an older player and later pick? <_<

If it sounds to good to be true, it's not going to happen.

Bruce to Collingwood for pick 25ish

Why it makes sense?

Collingwood will be looking to top-up for a shot at the flag in the next 2-3 years. They seem to be ok in the tall forward department but they could probably use some more help in the midfield.

Bruce is too old to play in a premiership for Melbourne. As we are in a rebuilding phase, we would benefit more from another early-ish pick than from Bruce's contributions over the next few years.

Bruce has no injury concerns, is highly rated by people from outside the MFC (at least by the ones I talk to), and represents real value as a draftee.

As his B&F votes will no doubt attest, Bruce will leave a hole at Melbourne. We can only hope that this will be ameliorated by our promising younger mids and other senior players returning from injury/assuming more leadership responsibilty - but: no pain = no gain.

Guest Chopper
Bruce to Collingwood for pick 25ish

Collingwood wont want Bruce. Pick 25 for a player performing just above average in a POOR team. No way, stop overvaluing our own.

Collingwood wont want Bruce. Pick 25 for a player performing just above average in a POOR team. No way, stop overvaluing our own.

I find your analysis to be over-simplistic.

Even if I am over-rating Bruce I would posit that trading (unlike drafting perhaps) is undertaken more on a needs basis than on a talent basis. This is because for a trade to go ahead, it has to be in the interests of both parties.

Furthermore, as more mature players represent known quantities, this "needs basis" is more reliably addressed by trading than through the draft. After all, how many of the 2008 draft picks will go on to play the 50 games that Collingwood could reasonably (minimally) expect from an ageing Bruce? More importantly, when will they play them? Bruce can hit the ground running in 2009 provinding a mature body in the midfield and a mature mind off-field. Bruce recorded his highest ever average disposals this season; over 24/game. This years pick 25ish, even if he does go on to play a few games in seniors, probably won't be playing at their best for a few years by which time Collingwood's window will probablly have closed.

Finally, although this isn't exactly scientific, Dane Swan, Tarkyn Lockyer, and Heath Shaw were the only Collingwood players to poll more votes than Bruce in the 2007 Brownlow which makes me think that they might be able to find a spot for him in their side...

Finally, although this isn't exactly scientific, Dane Swan, Tarkyn Lockyer, and Heath Shaw were the only Collingwood players to poll more votes than Bruce in the 2007 Brownlow which makes me think that they might be able to find a spot for him (Bruce) in their side...

I am nominating this post for the most "irrelevant" example on why a side (in this case Collingwood) would want Bruce in their side......based on the fact Bruce polled more Brownlow (Umpire votes) votes than 3 Collingwood players in the 2007 Brownlow. :lol: Yep, that would certainly tip Malthouse over the edge and give up a pick for a 29yo! NOT.

Well, strike me down with a feather! :lol:

Is there a category for this Nasher?

I am nominating this post for the most "irrelevant" example on why a side (in this case Collingwood) would want Bruce in their side......based on the fact Bruce polled more Brownlow (Umpire votes) votes than 3 Collingwood players in the 2007 Brownlow. :lol: Yep, that would certainly tip Malthouse over the edge and give up a pick for a 29yo! NOT.

Well, strike me down with a feather! :lol:

Is there a category for this Nasher?

First of all your comprehension is lacking. The point was that there were only 3 players at Collingwood who polled more than Bruce, not that Bruce polled more than three players.

Secondly, given that you skipped over the main thrust of my argument about needs based trading, how about you just nominate the last little part of the post which was really more irreverent than irrelevant.

Lastly, do you or do you not agree that Bruce would be significantly better than many of Collingwood's other midfielders over the next 2-3 years, and thus increase their chances of a flag in this period?

Lastly, do you or do you not agree that Bruce would be significantly better than many of Collingwood's other midfielders over the next 2-3 years, and thus increase their chances of a flag in this period?

Yes the three players polled more than Bruce - not the other way around, you were quite right. It was lacking that day. :lol: Still, it was an irrelevant example nevertheless.

In answer to your question, in all honesty I don't think Bruce would be "significantly better" than many of Collingwood's midfielders. I rate Pendelbury, Swan, Davis, Lockyer highly. In the next 2-3 years Bruce will not be as good. Thus it will not increase their chances of a flag IMO. And I don't think Malthouse would look twice at obtaining a Bruce approaching his twilight.

who's to say bruce won't keep playing well- injury free, he has a massive running engine, very fit player

if he keeps himself right, no reason why he wont get any worse, his kicking is the only thing defenitily that won't get better

Guest paxino27

No way should we get rid of Rivers, when he's up and going he's one of the best defenders if not the best defender in the comp!

Here's a trade that will work for all these 5 clubs I'll mention.

Melbourne trade Carroll and pick 35 to Fremantle

Fremantle allow Warnock to go through to the pre-season draft and trade Carr to Port Adelaide.

Port Adelaide trade pick 54 to Brisbane.

Brisbane also get Wonamerri from Melbourne.

Brisbane trade Ristchetelli to Collingwood

Melbourne also trade pick 17 to Collingwood

Collingwood trade pick 9 to Melbourne.

Melbourne gets Warnock and pick 9 for Carroll, Wonamerri and picks 17 & 35

Fremantle get Carroll and pick 35 for Carr and Warnock

Port Adelaide get Carr for pick 54

Brisbane get Wonamerri and pick 54 for Ristchetelli and

Collingwood get Ristchetelli and pick 17 for pick 9.

What do we think? Keep in mind we already have two other small forwards in Davey and Maric also everyone.

No way should we get rid of Rivers, when he's up and going he's one of the best defenders if not the best defender in the comp!

Fremantle allow Warnock to go through to the pre-season draft and trade Carr to Port Adelaide.

What do we think? Keep in mind we already have two other small forwards in Davey and Maric also everyone.

Quite possibly one of the worst posts i have ever read!!!

Firstly you have us getting Wonamerri back from his trade to Brisbane. It will be tough for both us and Freo to have pick 35 and collingwood and us pick 17. The biggest laugh of all in this is the fact Freo might allow Warnock to go through to the PSD :lol:

The title of the thread is Mock Trades,.............not Crock Trades.