Sponsorships

Rflowerwing

On the day following his election as Chairman Jim Stynes identified engaging existing and new sponsors as a cornerstone of his plans to restore the fortunes of the Club. If Jim is successful then he and the new Board will have passed the first big test of their incumbency.

Does anyone know the status of the Primus major sponsorship deal which expires at the end of this season? In the absence of a CEO has Jim been able to negotiate a renewal of this deal?

Are there any other major sponsorship opportunities available? Any suggestions?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ime sure these matters are top priority at present in conjunction with the Debt Demolition Month. Gaining Sponsorship could be Jimmy's greatest assett. He presents so well in the Community. Testiment to that is now that our membership is just under 30,000

Guest Graham Gaunt
I've heard on the grape vine that Primus aren't travelling too well themselves?

Hey Clint - Is the site down over at ology Matey?

GG

Sponsorship is never easy to win at any time. As we come into an economic downturn, this process will be extremely difficult not only to win sponsorships but to hold sponsorships.

With the departure of Bill Express from St Kilda and a major Richmond sponsor recently it will a very difficult climate for all Clubs.

My news is that Primus is G.O.N.E.

Yep. It's on the foxsports website now. GORN even. If by G.O.N.E. you meant as a club sponsor.

Even though Rhino is reasonably accurate in suggesting that sponsorship is a real commodity at the moment, I don't think we'll have much trouble bagging a decent sponsor. With the people's Jim at the helm I can't see us enduring the incompetance that the Bulldogs and Carlton have shown in the last decade while trying to find major sponsors.

Have no doubt that the media will milk this 'crisis' for all its worth though.

So my previous post was invisible???

Don't rain on mickrocks1's parade :P

Article here:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...0-23211,00.html

The Demons said telecommunications company iPrimus had advised them it was unlikely to renew its contract as naming rights partner, which is in its fifth and final year.

However, the club said negotiations were underway with a view to the company continuing as a lower level partner in coming seasons, with talks also being held with other potential sponsors.

Also confirmed Davey's out for the season.

Yep. It's on the foxsports website now. GORN even. If by G.O.N.E. you meant as a club sponsor.

Even though Rhino is reasonably accurate in suggesting that sponsorship is a real commodity at the moment, I don't think we'll have much trouble bagging a decent sponsor. With the people's Jim at the helm I can't see us enduring the incompetance that the Bulldogs and Carlton have shown in the last decade while trying to find major sponsors.

Have no doubt that the media will milk this 'crisis' for all its worth though.

We cant even bag a reliable CEO. So I cant see how we can be gunning full tilt for a new sponsor in that situation. Dont underestimate this economic downturn. Its going to be a far far different economic climate to what we have faced in the past 16 years. Corporates are really doing it hard and are going to be doing it harder over next two years.

Before we think of throwing any mud at the Bulldogs and Carlton, our efforts to date over the past five years with sponsorship have been poor.

Going forward we are debt ridden club with poor on field performance and poor spectator turn out in membership numbers and attendances. We get publicity for all the wrong reasons. We are the antithesis of any attractive sponsorship opportunities.

You can trust in Jimma all you like it but it wont save us from the harsh light of day.

Any financial upside from here for the Club is going to be hard hard yards. Be warned.

You can trust in Jimma all you like it but it wont save us from the harsh light of day.

Any financial upside from here for the Club is going to be hard hard yards. Be warned.

Don't be such a drama queen Rhino. A charismatic, well-recognised and actively-involved figure such as Jim as president renders all but the most well-connected CEO redundant in finding sponsorship. Of course, we will need a CEO of some description, but if we still haven't found one by year's end then we're in far deeper muck.

As for our sponsorship efforts, while we're not Collingwood and can't get our half-time oranges individually sponsored just yet, we've hardly been poor in this regard over the past 5 years. We've had a steady major sponsor and enough anciliary sponsors to post profits in at least a couple of seasons, and readily available access to Volvos for the twice-monthly pre-game parading of former stars that has been occurring in the past couple of years. We certainly haven't found ourselves going almost half a season without a major sponsor, unlike both the clubs I mentioned (if memory serves me correctly).

I don't think we can underestimate the very open and public initiatives that the new board have undertaken, and the colossal show of support at the Debt-Demo dinner (incidentally contributed to by a major media group in Foxtel) certainly gives reason to believe we are still at least a moderately attractive proposition going forward. Shrewd businessmen and women wouldn't dump their collective millions down us if we were totally shot.

I'm not for a second suggesting we are about to hit easy street. But I don't think its all doom and gloom either. I will stick my neck out and say that Primus punching out will be insignificant, even within the next 12 months.

Million dollar sponsorships don't grow on trees at the best of times, let along the period of economic uncertainty we appear to be entering. And with all due respect to Jimmy's team, it won't be easy thanks to the fact that for some reason the AFL doesn't like fixturing us at times that would be attractive for national brand sponsors.

If the Board can swing a top notch new sponsorship for 2009 and onwards it will be one of its biggest achievements.

What he said times three !! Richmond looking as well as the general climate doesnt help one iota..If ever the gift of the Blarney was needed its now !! For the right company we are a gold mine..seriously..depending upon standpoint and corporate vision we could be a fantastic 3-5 year vehicle. But where are these enlightened folk ??

There is no doubt that sponsorship in the level that is top tier is getting hard to obtain and even harder to keep

If we didnt have the media exposure i think there would be a lot more teams without good sponsorship