A SHOCKING CLANGER

When Brad Green had the drop on Monfries at CHF, and climbed all over his back, converting what should have been a "gimme" free for holding the ball(and a shot from 40m. straight in front) to an obvious free against for "in the back", I nearly spewed.

Yes, I know players deliberately fall forward when tackled from behind, but Greenie(one of my favourite players), made no attempt to pin his arms and fall to one side.

A goal to us athat stage might have changed the game.

This clanger must be avoided at all costs.

green had no choice. it should have been called played on. they were running at full pace and monfries dropped under him. green would have taken him sideways but he fell over the top.

umpire should have called play on for staging. replay clearly showed that monfries stopped running and dropped his knees.

At this stage of the game I felt aggrieved for just about every free paid against us. But I was more [censored] off at Monfries than the umpire. He just dropped as soon as he took possession, and it didn't look as though there was a whole lot Green could do about it.

That's how it seemed at the game. I'm probably wrong.

Yeah, come on, Monfries dropped the knees and tilted forward as Green was tackling him, there was bugger all Green could've done about it except abandon the tackle.

For what it's worth, it was very obvious on television, might not have looked so clear cut at the ground. Nothin like a slow-mo replay to make clear that someone started to slide under of their own accord.

Chalk up another dive for the bombers. Don't ever go doubting it's firm within their culture.

When Brad Green had the drop on Monfries at CHF, and climbed all over his back, converting what should have been a "gimme" free for holding the ball(and a shot from 40m. straight in front) to an obvious free against for "in the back", I nearly spewed.

Yes, I know players deliberately fall forward when tackled from behind, but Greenie(one of my favourite players), made no attempt to pin his arms and fall to one side.

A goal to us athat stage might have changed the game.

This clanger must be avoided at all costs.

Didn't see that as a clanger. I was at the game with an essendon supporter and we laughed at the decision. We thought Monfries was getting into the olympic spirit with a fautless dive. Gutless umpiring, shouldh've been play on. I don't remember a game where the umpires helped switch the momentum away from us more clearly than Saturday's. And while I'm here why the f--k was it an essendon home game. The AFL are insane. I mean they finally play us on Saturday and we don't get the gate, as a currently poor club he was an easy way to pump some money into our coffers.

Guest Schtacker
I'm with you, Jack, Green had him cold, but his tackle was lazy and high in spite of Monfries starting to dive.

Davey does the same thing.

So does Sylvia but he gets em in the back

frustrates the hell out of me

Guest TheVoice

The popular trend of falling forward in a tackle when you know your gone is a blight on todays game. I say where it is blatantly obvious that a player has fallen

forward, PLAYON BOYS!! Let them have their noses pollaxed firmly in the ground for no return and the pea hearts that do it will soon get the idea that such tactics

wont wash.

Bombers players dive all the time, it's part of their culture. That and cribbing over the mark, it was going on all day Saturday. Bunch of cheats.

Bombers players dive all the time, it's part of their culture. That and cribbing over the mark, it was going on all day Saturday. Bunch of cheats.

Thats right. Lloydy is their mentor and teaches the technique to his troops...he's what you might call the Grandmaster

There's nothing in the rules that says you can't bend the rules.

Perhaps if Melbourne had adopted such tactics they would have won. It is often said that the little things are the most important in life (and in this case football)

Perhaps if Melbourne had adopted such tactics they would have won. It is often said that the little things are the most important in life (and in this case football)

Every 1% counts. But diving is IMO gutless.

players should be instructed to drop a knee into their kidney if the player drops forward in a tackle, or just make sure they drive them a foot into the turf. It would solve the problem pretty quickly

You are kidding right? Monfries heard Green coming, took a short step and started to drop at the knees before Green even began to tackle him. The only way Green could have avoided giving away the free was to not tackle him at all.

With Monfries, the Green tackle could have resulted in a turn over, or a ball up. But instead of dealing with that possibility, Monfries took the 'gutless' decision of dropping his legs... Of course it's gutless, but it's becoming more and more a part of the game. You could consider it smart play, but I really hate seeing it.

its gutless becauswe instead of trying to use his skill and pace to beat green, he decided to take a soft cheap option and try and win a free kick from an umpire.

the rules werent written to win free kicks. the rules were written to protect players.

gutless, cheap, and not in the spirit of the game. you're welcome to go back to bomberblitz if you dont like it.

If the rules were there to protect players why are we allowed to tackle?

If a player gets pushed in the back he gets pushed in the back, simple. Ideally I'd like to see the umpires call play on but there's no rule for it (unlike the ducking the head one which is never enforced anyway).

Like I said before, if the tackler gets as low as someone like Whelan they won't clumsily fall into their back and even if they don't get down low all they have to do is grab and handful of jumper and hold on. Tackler might fly over the top but at least the tackle sticks and is legal.

The criticism of Monfries by everyone here is very amusing, but not unexpected.

Surely Brad Green should have known about the 'drop to knees' technique that Monfries employed as he is an expert at it himself.

The criticism of Monfries by everyone here is very amusing, but not unexpected.

Surely Brad Green should have known about the 'drop to knees' technique that Monfries employed as he is an expert at it himself.

It may well be that I wear my red and blue coloured glasses while watching the footy, but I've never seen Green do that.

Personally, I find it an annoying and frustrating tactic regardless of which team is employing it.

How is it gutless?

Here are your answers Eastie Boyz: -

Because instead of fighting out the play or suffering the consequences of the team's error, they attempt to fool the umpire to win a cheap free kick.

With Monfries, the Green tackle could have resulted in a turn over, or a ball up. But instead of dealing with that possibility, Monfries took the 'gutless' decision of dropping his legs... Of course it's gutless, but it's becoming more and more a part of the game. You could consider it smart play, but I really hate seeing it.

its gutless becauswe instead of trying to use his skill and pace to beat green, he decided to take a soft cheap option and try and win a free kick from an umpire.

the rules werent written to win free kicks. the rules were written to protect players.

gutless, cheap, and not in the spirit of the game. you're welcome to go back to bomberblitz if you dont like it.

I rest my case...