Interesting article on crikey.com.au

Mordigirl

Let's be rational about this. This article is making two central points. The first is that the playing group was divided during the mid 90s between an 'in' crowd and the rest. The second is that this same 'in' crowd is now assuming control of the club to its detriment.

First point. To be honest, none of us can really say if the playing group was divided during this time. We weren't playing. In fact, I'd bet any money that you could ask numerous players who were on the list during that time and receive different responses on this. The fact is, footy clubs are big places. Matthew Lloyd said the other day he had played with no few than 100 different players during his career. It is inevitable that people who have played together for a decade will have a stronger bond than someone who's been there three weeks. It is also inevitable that people who aren't getting a game may become bitter and start attributing it to the fact they aren't part of the 'in' crowd. What we do know is that those players he mentions dragged this club out of the wilderness. Sure, we've never achieved the ultimate success, but no club apart from Essendon and West Coast has made the finals more than us in the last 20 years. We went quite close to winning flags in the late eighties and in 98. Hardly a 'shambolic excuse' for a football club.

Second point. Imagine people playing football for a club and then going on to work for them once they've finished playing. Furthermore, imagine they were friends and shared a common bond and passion to see that football club succeed. Wow, what a novel notion. What nepotism! I think we should find people who don't care about the club and who don't like each other. This talk of 'cabal' is [censored] garbage if you ask me. Every club has former players on its books. Does anyone accuse Carlton of being a cabal because Kernahan and Ratten used to play together? We don't know how the new regime is going to go. And God help us if they fail. But to write them off because some of them used to play together is nonsensical.

Well spoken H.

Guest unstable punt
RR mightily nice of you to jump on me for this. :) But I simply referred to him as a twit (which was in reference to his most recent of pieces on Crikey). I did not refer to him as a twit because he was doing his job and reporting what he had overheard.

Thankyou for stating the obvious about the MFC and NMFC. Let's hope they both can turn it around for their respective members and supporters.

your defending this guy to the point where l reckon YOU ARE Charles Happell or your on his payroll as PR <_<

Oh, and just as a matter of interest to Charlie Happell, Chris Connolly played his last game for Melbourne in 1989 i.e. 5 years before Irving arrived at Melbourne. In 1994, Connolly was into his third year as coach of the Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Under 18 team. Ironically, four years later Barry Prendergast, our recruiting guru, was coach of the Ranges. Another mate?

More bad news for Chuck is the fact that Greg Healy retired at the end of 1993 and, from what I understand, he spent more of his time in 1994 surfing around Bells Beach.

Whatever the case, I somehow doubt that Happell's so-called villains and members of this dastardly cabal, Connolly and Healy were snubbing Dean Irving at any team meetings during the 1994. Most of Dean's team meetings would have been reserves team meetings and I don't think Chris or Greg would have spent much time there anyway even when they were at the club.

Anyone want to second my nomination of this story for a Pulitzer Prize in the science fiction section? :)

• 4 years later...

BUMP

Is it time to revisit this article?

I appreciate Whispering Jack and others have identified a number of factual flaws (see WJ's post #55 above), but is there a possibility that the cronyism suggested has been detrimental to the club? I appreciate Jim Stynes is no longer with us, but others named in the article (Greg Healy, Todd Viney, Chris Connolly, Russell Robertson and, until recently, Cameron Schwab, are, although I'm not sure about any role Garry Lyon might have).

There it is and there it was right in front of our faces. I've been on about this for years now and my worst fears have been realised, I bought the Jimmy hype for a time but could never come at CS and the rest.

Talking with a Melbourne mate yesterday he reminded me (I didn't need to be) that I've always said the club will get nowhere while these guys are in charge.

We need to move on now I know but at the moment I am just so bloody angry that this has happened.

There it is and there it was right in front of our faces. I've been on about this for years now and my worst fears have been realised, I bought the Jimmy hype for a time but could never come at CS and the rest.

Talking with a Melbourne mate yesterday he reminded me (I didn't need to be) that I've always said the club will get nowhere while these guys are in charge.

We need to move on now I know but at the moment I am just so bloody angry that this has happened.

Stynes, Lyon. They all benefitted from Schwab's salary cap rorts, which is why they stuck their head out for him post-186.

The club chewed up Gutnick and spit him out because he challenged the boys club, the Hollywood elite.

Why are we STILL talking about this after 50 damn years? Still? It's actually comical.

I always Hated Hollywood Boulevard. I saw it in the 90's and Questioned what they had actually done as a team to earn it.

It still lingers today. It must go...today.

I don't think it's tag they "earned" through any bout of success or anything like that.

I always thought it was a bit of a jeer, like, "Look at the privileged school boy superstars prancing around the locker-room like Hollywood stars".

So yeah I want it to go too :P but it was always a mockery I thought, rather than an acknowledgement of success or talent.