Davey - the new Johnstone?

bjgc

I like Aaron Davey but he just doesn't do enough. He seems disinterested half the time and is living off his first couple of years. The Dockers game was suppose to be his redemption game and he failed dismally. This year he has played only 3 good games in R4 (Kangas), R7 (Freo) and R9 (Hawks) the rest have been ordinary he hasn't played anywhere near enough good games for the last couple of years to be considered untouchable which was mentioned in the paper. I think he is at the crossroads and must improve dramatically or he will be the next Johnstone.

I like Aaron Davey but he just doesn't do enough. He seems disinterested half the time and is living off his first couple of years. The Dockers game was suppose to be his redemption game and he failed dismally. This year he has played only 3 good games in R4 (Kangas), R7 (Freo) and R9 (Hawks) the rest have been ordinary he hasn't played anywhere near enough good games for the last couple of years to be considered untouchable which was mentioned in the paper. I think he is at the crossroads and must improve dramatically or he will be the next Johnstone.

Agree to some extent but he was off the rookie list. He seems to struggle with a midfield role and is probably more suited to the forward line at the moment. He needs to increase the size of his motor so he can run all day and not just in bursts. I wouldn't say he's at the crossroads, he's easily in our best 22 and will continue to improve

Well, he's getting on for a small forward who relies on his pace. A lot of people forget that he's 25. While that's usually the peak of a normal footy player's career, I've always thought that he'd only be really good while his pace and determination lasted. And unfortunately, it hasn't lasted nearly as long as I think we'd hoped.

Forcing him to play in the midfield and sacrifice some of his pace for endurance hasn't helped much, either. I love the guy, but don't think he'll age anywhere near as well as even Jeff Farmer, although I think his positive work ethic and smaller ego might help him avoid some of the pitfalls that have befallen the Wiz.

Having said that, I still believe, as - I think - would any Melbourne supporter, that he'd be one of the first picked each week.

I just think that, because we so often struggle in getting the ball inside 50 enough, we need to have Aaron planted there so he can help keep the ball in with his sometimes astounding forward pressure and creativity.

I believe that it was Davey that started the idea of having small, fast forwards who placed pressure on the opposition's defence. He is our X-factor. He played well in the 4th quarter vs Brisbane (we won), he played really well Round 7 vs Freo (we won), he played well vs Hawthorn Round 9 (we led for more than 50% of the match). When he plays well he has the ability to lift the team. Not to mention the crowd. I remember in his first few years people came to the MCG just to see Davey play. He's one of the few players we have that has a little bit of class.

I was surprised when I saw 'The Age' rate Davey as 'untouchable'.

For those who didn't see the article, there was a discussion re: trading and what teams looked for in those they wanted to pick up, as well as how you choose to trade particular players.

Each team was profiled, and a few players were mentioned under three categories - untouchables, trade bait (or something similar), and those who had no value.

From memory -

Untouchables

McDonald - spirit of Club

Davey - young, exciting, and marketable face in a Club that needs marketable players

Trade potential

Miller - his height may attract interest

Sylvia - social issues

No value

White

Bruce

Yze

Robertson

I believe that it was Davey that started the idea of having small, fast forwards who placed pressure on the opposition's defence. He is our X-factor. He played well in the 4th quarter vs Brisbane (we won), he played really well Round 7 vs Freo (we won), he played well vs Hawthorn Round 9 (we led for more than 50% of the match). When he plays well he has the ability to lift the team. Not to mention the crowd. I remember in his first few years people came to the MCG just to see Davey play. He's one of the few players we have that has a little bit of class.

and he played well in the first quarter against freo

which we won

People who want to trade Davey are deluded. He is the most exiting and skilled player on our list. He is not a Travis, he is not lazy. He is a small forward and sometimes midfielder. His disposal is second to no one in our team and I would rather see him with the ball than anyone. I don't expect him to play like Jones. He is not engine room, he is icing on the cake.

People who want to trade Davey are deluded. He is the most exiting and skilled player on our list. He is not a Travis, he is not lazy. He is a small forward and sometimes midfielder. His disposal is second to no one in our team and I would rather see him with the ball than anyone. I don't expect him to play like Jones. He is not engine room, he is icing on the cake.

Agree completely.

I thought Davey was particularly good when we were up, in fact he was the main catalyst to our great start, and he wasn't our worst when we were getting belted. Unfortunately for an outside player like him, it's very difficult to have an impact when our inside ball-winners are getting smashed.

At 25, most sprinters have not even reached their peak.

But Aaron Davey's not a sprinter. He is a fast footballer who's being asked to sacrifice his strengths in order to make him into something he's not.

But Aaron Davey's not a sprinter. He is a fast footballer who's being asked to sacrifice his strengths in order to make him into something he's not.

The muscle groups that propel sprinters to sprint are similar to those that make footballers fast. Age should not be a deterrent to maintaining speed. AFL is a demanding sport and the impact of injury can curtail capacities.

When he started, Davey sensational speed and ball skills redefine alot of forward defensive pressure today in all good teams. Oppositions know Davey. They have done the homework. Davey's much loved skills come with a couple of aspects which challenge his ability to overcome opposition sides tactics. His light willowy body frame prevents Davey from applying full physical pressure in a contested situation. He does not seem to have a good endurance tank. He is easily niggled and upset in a game. i think that limits the roles that he could possibly succeed with in AFL

I think Davey has a future with us which is not fully evident in a bottom side getting pumped week in week out. His creativity, speed and finishing skills would be useful for us if we could become a more competitive unit.

I think Davey has a future with us which is not fully evident in a bottom side getting pumped week in week out. His creativity, speed and finishing skills would be useful for us if we could become a more competitive unit.

On this RR I totally agree, Davey is a finisher and will look a little lost playing in a team when no one is able to get it to him or provide him with the support he needs. He may not have the physical bulk but his ability to chase, tackle, harass set a new AFL standard for others to follow. Once we start being competitive we will see Aaron back to his best

Incorrect. He is a sprinter. He's not an endurance runner. Sprinting is his main asset. That along with some of his skills make him a player that has to be close checked by opposition.

It's no secret Davey has been extremely dissapointing over the last two years.

Harsh on Davey, with his role it's almost impossible to look good when you're getting floggrd week in week out. He's easily in our best 22.

Exactly right, High Tower, players like Davey especially struggle when the whole team is failing, just like others thrive when the going's are bad. I recon Davey will become a very effective a highly skilled midfielder for us, and once he's got back up and players to feed him the ball you'll see how good he can be.

And let's not forget his work with Aussie!