Stef Martin to debut

Melbourne Squad

Backs: Matthew Whelan, Colin Garland, Matthew Warnock

Half backs: Brad Green, Paul Wheatley, Cameron Bruce

Centreline: Colin Sylvia, Brock McLean, Lynden Dunn

Half forwards: Chris Johnson, Matthew Bate, Aaron Davey

Forwards: Stefan Martin, Brad Miller, Austin Wonaeamirri

Followers: Paul Johnson, Clint Bartram, Nathan Jones

Interchange (from): Jace Bode, Simon Buckley, Nathan Carroll, Mark Jamar, Cale Morton, Jeff White, Shane Valenti

In Simon Buckley, Nathan Carroll, Stefan Martin, Cale Morton, Shane Valenti

Out James Frawley (omitted) James McDonald (groin)

New Stefan Martin (21, Sandringham)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bit of a warning to Jeff White being named on interchange?

Go stef!!!

My final interchange-

Buckley, Valenti, White, Carroll?

Maybe give Morton one more week at sandy?

Bucks deserves a call up also.

That bench hurts. I want to see all 7 play...

In a perfect world, Morton, Valenti, Buckley and Bode... We'd lose but the fans would get to see some new stuff...

PUMPED that Martin is going to debut though. I can't believe they named him in the 18.

I reckon Carroll will definitely come in to play on Bradshaw (YIKES!) or more likely Brown. Valenti straight swap for JMac. One of Jamar and White will play and I hope one of Morton and Buckley...

I'm putting my money (if there was a market for it) on Morton, Bode and Jamar being the emergencies.

bit of a warning to Jeff White being named on interchange?

If it's raining he might not play. Can Martin take some hit outs in the back half? Then you've got Juhnson up forward and a bullocking role for the Russian through the centre. Not so bad and I think it's time for a passing of the ruck batten, with one of Natanui or Warnock a chance for us.

Might not be popular, but i would really like to see Bode get a couple more games to see what he has got.

I really hate how some players get one week in and then next week back at sandy.

I hope Carrol doesn't get in. He has never been able to stop Bradshaw in the past.

Good luck to Stef, here's hoping he plays well!

Obviously only one of the ruckmen will survive that bench cull, it will be White I would think.

Won't be too fussed if Bode and Carroll dont get selected either. Bode has shown very little

in his 3 games, and we all know Carrolls weaknesses (and strengths to be fair), but we've already

got Warnock, Garland and Martin as key defenders selected in the 18.

jeez..straight into the 18...no bench apprenticeship !! :o

going to be an interesting game.

Hmm what is Bailey up to <_<

Bode, Morton, White, Valenti would be my bench.

Awesome that Martin's definitely in. I can't wait to see how he goes. How exciting.

I'd like to see Buckley given another tagging role for Sandy this week, then join the senior squad at a later date to consolidate his work on his defensive side.

I don't have a lot of interest in seeing Carroll or Jamar in the side.

but we've already got Warnock, Garland and Martin as key defenders selected in the 18.

Warnock better show something more than last week. His attitude and play last week were appalling. Body language the whole game was too.

Hopefully the interchange will be Buckley, Morton, Valenti and White, but Jamar will probably play in front of Buckley cause Martin will be needed down back and P.J will be needed up forward. Valenti must play we need an in and under player to replace McDonald.

Is it just me or does one sense if Martin fires..then Juice is for the big 'swapmeet" :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does one sense if Martin fires..then Juice is for the big 'swapmeet" :rolleyes:

Just you. Newton is a forward and Martin is a backman. Newton has been injured for most of the year. I still think he has 1 more year to prove himself.

Just you. Newton is a forward and Martin is a backman. Newton has been injured for most of the year. I still think he has 1 more year to prove himself.

A backman ?? really.. I dont seem to recall that was really an adamant position by the club. Martin was taken to develop into a KPP. Currently the backline is a tad full...we'll see :)

Martin has served his apprenticeship for the last 18 months at Sandy primarily as a backman, while also time-sharing short stints in the ruck and resting up forward. But its clear he's being groomed as a key backman. There's no reason we can't play all 3 of Garland, Warnock and Martin this year, as Garland can play 'small' as can Warnock. Where that leaves Rivers for a spot when he comes back I dont know, you may well find Garland then have another crack at being a forward.

Keep in mind we have not a lot of control over where Sandy puts players ;)

white valenti buckley morton would be my bench

i am really [censored] off that valenti is not getting a game...he has proven that he works his ass off...does a trillion one percenters and plays bloody well, and if given some time, im sure will rack up the possesions

he is killing it at sandringham...yet he cant get a game

if he does not get to play this week :angry:

I think Valenti will definitely be an in, straight swap for McDonald. Martin for Frawley is also a like-for-like change.

I'm not sure who will survive the cut tomorrow though - it'll be interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bode dropped, and would be happy to see Morton and Buckley back. Not sure we need Carroll, and if it's poor weather we might drop one of the rucks and play Buckley and Morton.

Might not be popular, but i would really like to see Bode get a couple more games to see what he has got.

I really hate how some players get one week in and then next week back at sandy.

Hasn't he had three consecutive games now?

He definitely played vs Richmond and Sydney, and I think he played the game before, too.

jeez..straight into the 18...no bench apprenticeship !! :o

Only because he's definitely debuting and that has been announced, IMHO. Not necessarily in the forward line, nor starting.

Bode, Morton, White, Valenti would be my bench.

Awesome that Martin's definitely in. I can't wait to see how he goes. How exciting.

I'd like to see Buckley given another tagging role for Sandy this week, then join the senior squad at a later date to consolidate his work on his defensive side.

I don't have a lot of interest in seeing Carroll or Jamar in the side.

nasher you have summed up my wants perfectly. i wouldnt be unhappy if jamar was to play for white. i dont rate jamar, and dont think he is a long term prospect. but i would be happy for him to have a crack without white. and i think white probably needs a rest.

and i concour wholeheartedly with your sentiments around buckley. i like what i see with buckley, but he obviously has a lot to learn, he was good in that role last week for sandy, lets see him do it again.

Warnock better show something more than last week. His attitude and play last week were appalling. Body language the whole game was too.

i wasnt at the game, my comments are from the tv only.

but i didnt think warnock was that bad. i thought he was burnt on the elad a couple of times, but most of the time it was probably the fault of the midfield for standing around watching a player kick from 55-60m rather than pushing hard into the space between the player with the ball and the full forward. he was allowed to lead into space at will, no pressure the other way.

at fault: warnock did try to play the man too much imo and once the ball was kicked just concentrate on punching the ball rather than out bodying hall.

Martin has served his apprenticeship for the last 18 months at Sandy primarily as a backman, while also time-sharing short stints in the ruck and resting up forward. But its clear he's being groomed as a key backman. There's no reason we can't play all 3 of Garland, Warnock and Martin this year, as Garland can play 'small' as can Warnock. Where that leaves Rivers for a spot when he comes back I dont know, you may well find Garland then have another crack at being a forward.

he is named in the forward pocket, but i agree about them grooming him into a backmen at sandy. b59 makes a good point about us not having as much control as we'd like, but you'd think we'd have some input.

if he is to play as a backman you would think there would be no chance carrol would come in. however ,artin could be used up forward given we pretty much have aussie at full forward...

i wasnt at the game, my comments are from the tv only.

but i didnt think warnock was that bad. i thought he was burnt on the elad a couple of times, but most of the time it was probably the fault of the midfield for standing around watching a player kick from 55-60m rather than pushing hard into the space between the player with the ball and the full forward. he was allowed to lead into space at will, no pressure the other way.

at fault: warnock did try to play the man too much imo and once the ball was kicked just concentrate on punching the ball rather than out bodying hall.

I was at the game and he was burnt off on the lead a couple of times but was caught ball watching far too often to be playing on the best forward. Just way too loose. Should have been dragged late in the first for a rocket up the jacksie. I was sitting with a bunch of supporters from lots of different teams and everyone cringed ever time the ball came in. Barry should have kicked 5 in the first alone.

I was at the game and he was burnt off on the lead a couple of times but was caught ball watching far too often to be playing on the best forward. Just way too loose. Should have been dragged late in the first for a rocket up the jacksie. I was sitting with a bunch of supporters from lots of different teams and everyone cringed ever time the ball came in. Barry should have kicked 5 in the first alone.

cheers.

i'd like to see the bench read:

White, Valenti, Jamar, Buckley/Bode

keep the ruckman in so PJ can play forward again...

Cale got plenty of the ball at Sandy, but his disposal was still down... lets give him a few more weeks to get it back up to scratch...

Not really fussed if either buckley or bode play...