Casey Up-date

demon3165

Posted by Grand Plan on Demonology:

Just been to the council meeting thought ide let u know as much as i know.

Plans have been passed by Casey Council, i think it was 7 in favour and 3 against. Development will cost 2.1 mil. The agreement is for 10yrs initially and the MFC has agreed to train there 8 weeks a yr over pre-season for 10yrs. Option for 20 and 30 yrs on the agreement.

We will train there until MRS is complete. So going by that football opereations will relocate for a yr and a half or so...

Funding breakdown:

$1,25m Council

$500,000 MFC

$350,000 VFL

Total $2.1m

MFC will not acquire an asset through the deal, and the $500,000 we are contributing will be secured/gaurantaured by an organisation other than a bank. The deal also depends on the VFL funds being transfered which hasn't been agreed upon by the state government.

I'm not sure if there are options on the contract as I'm just going by what was provided at the Casey Council Meeting and contracts were only completed this morning. So whether or not there is an option on us acquiring an asset or not after 10yrs was not revealed.

The community partnership program we will be undertaking will amount to be worth $6.53m over 10yrs to the local municipality.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plans have been passed by Casey Council, i think it was 7 in favour and 3 against. Development will cost 2.1 mil. The agreement is for 10yrs initially and the MFC has agreed to train there 8 weeks a yr over pre-season for 10yrs. Option for 20 and 30 yrs on the agreement.

We will train there until MRS is complete. So going by that football opereations will relocate for a yr and a half or so...

Funding breakdown:

$1,25m Council

$500,000 MFC

$350,000 VFL

Total $2.1m

MFC will not acquire an asset through the deal, and the $500,000 we are contributing will be secured/gaurantaured by an organisation other than a bank. The deal also depends on the VFL funds being transfered which hasn't been agreed upon by the state government.

I'm not sure if there are options on the contract as I'm just going by what was provided at the Casey Council Meeting and contracts were only completed this morning. So whether or not there is an option on us acquiring an asset or not after 10yrs was not revealed.

The community partnership program we will be undertaking will amount to be worth $6.53m over 10yrs to the local municipality.

Right so we get nothing out of it bar a training base. Still assetless as such.... it is something but not what we'd been hoping for I would have thought.

Given that a training base has been a bug bear for years..its not too shabby.. Also the longer term/bigger picture is good. :)

Plans have been passed. That's good news and is a start. Long term is the best thing for the club.

What we have gained:

- a permanent training base... finally no-one can use the line 'homeless to us'!!! all we need now is a home for our admin (either at MCG or bubbledome) and that will be sorted out before years end :)

- a community to build around. Casey is known to be one of the biggest growth corridors in Melbourne. We will have VERY close involvement with the community running clinics... this means more Melbourne supporters in the long run!

500k is VERY little price to pay for those 2 massive gains, besides which the 500k will be placed in "something other than a bank" whatever that means... so that will mean future financial gains which will surely be greater than 500k

Funding breakdown:

$1,25m Council

$500,000 MFC

$350,000 VFL

Total $2.1m

Full marks to whoever it was at the MFC who decided not to pursue the so-called purchase of land that would, in time, have become a potential millstone around the club's neck. That parcel of land would IMO not have increased greatly in value over the years because unlike a commercial use or residential zoned use, this would have remained a special use for commercial purposes. If the club decided to move away at some tme in the future it would not have been readily sold. In the club's hands hpwever, it would have been subject to rates and taxes which might over the years have become a burden (land taxes on some properties have escalated enormously in the past decade). Now the club can strike a reasonable rental deal albeit without a title but also without some of the high ongoing costs that go with it i.e. the best of all worlds.

Not impressed by the councillors who fought this issue - they have achieved nothing for their constituents.

I suspect the changing of tac away from the land parcel is actually what got us over the line as it was this area that McIntyre and such were lobbying against... This removed, they had no real firepower. Any money poured into the development by Casey still stayed in Casey really.

For those of us who live in Casey and are also Melbourne members, it has been a very difficult time. The deal had to be right for both parties - I have noticed from reading a lot of posts that lots of people seemed to be of the "let's suck all we can out of Casey" mindset. Not a very good start to a co-operative partnership don't you think? It doesn't make Casey residents feel valued - it just makes us feel like we are being used. Thankfully the club is more sensitive than this! You have to remember that the rates that are funding this project come from the pockets of ordinary people, just like yourselves - would you think the same if the money for this was coming out of your pocket?

That being said, I could always see the value in MFC coming to Casey, but lots of people can't, and those people were entitled to a voice too. Taking the land deal out of the contract was the smartest thing the MFC could have done - and for those of you who can add up - instead of four councillors in opposition to the plan, there were ultimately only three (there were always four, not just the two that everyone was slagging off at) - it obviously changed the nature of the deal sufficiently to enable a councillor to vote for the best for both parties. Remember that councillors are there to serve their community, and giving away a valuable asset was clearly not in the best interest of that community, especially when (approximate figures quoted by the Herald Sun) 14 families a month in just one suburb of Casey are losing their homes.

I was also interested to note that of all of you who have had a lot to say about this deal, apparently none of you took the time to go to the meeting to see what was happening. Does that mean you won't be travelling out to Casey Fields to support your team? I hope not - I am looking forward to seeing all you there!

Does that mean you won't be travelling out to Casey Fields to support your team? I hope not - I am looking forward to seeing all you there!

No it doesn't mean that for me. I'm out the other side of the City - which mind you is no excuse. I regularly visit the Junction throughout the season. Casey might be a bit far for me. But it won't stop me supporting this great club!

When I do make the trek in the pre-season, I hope to see you there too.

Guest mad mick

this was sent to all Casey Councillors today

I have received Notice of Rescission in relation to a matter considered at tonight’s Council Meeting.

Crs Wilson and Richardson have given notice of the rescission of the resolution of Council relating to the agreement with the Melbourne Football Club.

In accordance with usual practice, implementation of the decision has been delayed pending Council’s consideration of the Notice of Motion at its next meeting.

Mike Tyler

Chief Executive Officer

this was sent to all Casey Councillors today

I have received Notice of Rescission in relation to a matter considered at tonight’s Council Meeting.

Crs Wilson and Richardson have given notice of the rescission of the resolution of Council relating to the agreement with the Melbourne Football Club.

In accordance with usual practice, implementation of the decision has been delayed pending Council’s consideration of the Notice of Motion at its next meeting.

Mike Tyler

Chief Executive Officer

Is this fair dinkum?

What, can someone clear this up please?

Is this fair dinkum?

From what I understand, a recission motion is when someone wants a second crack at something - it delays implementation until the next meeting. Since the vote was 7-3 and the missing councillor (off overseas mind you) will mostly likely vote with the majority when he returns, I can't see what will be achieved this time - it is really only a stalling tactic.

However, elections are only 3 months away, and I would have thought that preparing a campaign would be of more use to a councillor than fighting a fight that has already been lost.

Each to their own.

Guest mad mick
Is this fair dinkum?

yes it's fair dinkum the Chief Executives Assistants direct line is 03 9705 52 46 you can ring her for confurmation.

I was also interested to note that of all of you who have had a lot to say about this deal, apparently none of you took the time to go to the meeting to see what was happening. Does that mean you won't be travelling out to Casey Fields to support your team? I hope not - I am looking forward to seeing all you there!

Valid points regarding the attitude of some to the Casey deal.

However, with regards attendance at the council meeting, I think you're drawing a very long bow to correlate attendance at a council meeting on a weeknight with attendance at a football match.

Refer to the healthy pre-season crowd for the Melb v Roos NAB Cup match at Casey - I was there, but not at the council meeting - to allay your fears ;)

Suzanna ...welcome to the fold. I was actually quite looking forward to attending last nights meeting..however other things cropped up..Such is life. Some from here did indeed attend ( im told) . Surely you dont expect masses to attend a council meeting wearing Melbourne jumpers ? I do agree , as mentioned earlier that altering the land parcel component did indeed make it all much more palatable. In politics you can always find some sort of rationale to discredit any ideas put forward.. If yo were to say all applied achievement were inexorably connected then any one doing something is at the expense of someone else. That is simply a falacious argument and is never supported by intelligent thought. Having said that ..lets not confuse intelligent thought with a lot of councillors !! lol.

The notice of recission is simply the act of a ratbag partisan who simply has an axe to grind...or preselection committees to impress.Serves no purpose other than to [censored] people off.

People losing homes is never palatable...but ultimately its their business. Why that in iteself should disuade a forward thnking council from instituting a program and coopertaive aggreement that has other far reaching comunity benefits is anyones guess.

For those of us who live in Casey and are also Melbourne members, it has been a very difficult time. The deal had to be right for both parties - I have noticed from reading a lot of posts that lots of people seemed to be of the "let's suck all we can out of Casey" mindset. Not a very good start to a co-operative partnership don't you think? It doesn't make Casey residents feel valued - it just makes us feel like we are being used. Thankfully the club is more sensitive than this! You have to remember that the rates that are funding this project come from the pockets of ordinary people, just like yourselves - would you think the same if the money for this was coming out of your pocket?

That being said, I could always see the value in MFC coming to Casey, but lots of people can't, and those people were entitled to a voice too. Taking the land deal out of the contract was the smartest thing the MFC could have done - and for those of you who can add up - instead of four councillors in opposition to the plan, there were ultimately only three (there were always four, not just the two that everyone was slagging off at) - it obviously changed the nature of the deal sufficiently to enable a councillor to vote for the best for both parties. Remember that councillors are there to serve their community, and giving away a valuable asset was clearly not in the best interest of that community, especially when (approximate figures quoted by the Herald Sun) 14 families a month in just one suburb of Casey are losing their homes.

Suzanna, it is shame that people on both sides look it in terms only of "what is in it for me". I took the time to have a look at the report which council voted on last night which tells a different story to the biased opinions. There is a net benefit to the Casey community even if there is an intial outlay which looks bad to struggling locals. Even though I live at the opposite end of town I am willing to support the club in Casey as I did by going to our pre season game there this year. I notice the MFC will be lobbying the AFL to have a "boutique" stadium at Casey which now appears to be high on the AFL agenda. The investment in such a facility if its happens there will easily offset any initial outlay and possibly see other teams play at Casey.

Refer to the health pre-season crowd for the Melb v Roos NAB Cup match at Casey - I was there, but not at the council meeting - to allay your fears ;)

What was your impression of the surroundings there Rogue? Were you impressed, what do you remember apart from the match?

From the Berwick leader today:

http://www.berwickleader.com.au/article/20...7_blv_news.html

Casey Councillors vote on Dees move

Paddy Higgs

06Aug08

HERE come the Demons.

Melbourne Football Club's long-awaited move to Casey Fields was expected to be rubberstamped at last night's Casey Council meeting.

The $2.24 million deal has met its fair share of opposition during protracted negotiations since March.

But the proposal was expected to have the weight of numbers in last night's vote, although any majority was likely to be slight.

The sacking of Melbourne chief executive officer Paul McNamee did little to delay matters, with the new president Jim Stynes' board making the move a priority.

Casey chief executive officer Mike Tyler confirmed he and Melbourne's interim chief executive Peter Spargo had finalised talks late last week.

The council will contribute $1.25 million towards the move, with the football club chipping in $500,000. And $350,000 has already been pledged in the State Budget under the VFL complex upgrade plan.

Some of the money will be used to extend the existing pavilion, while $140,000 will be spent on sealing the car park.

Mr Tyler would earlier not be drawn on predicting the outcome of the vote.

"I couldn't really speculate on that," he said.

"I've made the recommendation ... it's now a matter for council to vote on."

Councillors Rob Wilson and Kevin Bradford have been vocal in their criticism of Melbourne's move, while Cr Paul Richardson left little doubt as to how he would vote.

"The council has no business donating money that belongs to the people," he said.

The proposal did, however, get the approval of deputy mayor Colin Butler, who labelled the attraction of the AFL club "exciting".

"I'm all for it," he said.

Hi all,

Casey Fields has a long way to go before it's a good stadium for spectators (more seating area and toilets in more than one location would be a good start) but the most important thing is how it will be from a player's perspective. I spoke to a former player who has walked the ground, and who was very impressed. It is apparently a great playing surface, better than Sandy or Junction Oval, the playing ground is the same size as the G and most importantly it has goal posts all year round! So the players can practice goals, unlike now when they are using cricket pitches and there aren't any goal posts until a few weeks into the season. Add to that the extensions which will enable them to have more room in the weights room, and the physio room, and it has to make training more effective. So even though as a spectator, I find the place uncomfortable (I either seem to be freezing in the arctic wind or burning in the sun), I am happy that the move will make training easier, and hopefully this will translate into improved on field performance.

The other advantage is that it is a lot cheaper than the G or the Dome, so matches that will draw small crowds (think Melbourne V Freo) might be moved there, (and probably the G17 matches too as I would expect they will have a very small supporter base to start with) which will mean the cost of hosting the match will be lower, and instead of losing money, the club might actually make money, even if less people turn up because it is 'out in the sticks'.

So we just have to content ourselves by being well prepared for the elements, and hope that our boys settle in quickly.

Without doubt a huge lement to the succes of the venue wil be enhanced seating. Some of this ought to come as teh direct result of extensions to the existing building to accomodate teh mighty Dees. Aroundthe groud improvements ought to come as a consequence in coming years also . This wil not be an overnight accomplishment. It will take a few seasons of efort and investment. Im sure the vaious parties are holding off any other 'plans' for this venue until waters settle and they can see attitudes and results.

Casey Fields has a long way to go before it's a good stadium for spectators (more seating area and toilets in more than one location would be a good start).....

Good news Suzanna. At the VFL Oval at Casey Fields, it is likely that the following will be built over the next 12 months:

$2.100 million on extension to VFL pavilion (partly for Melbourne FC) including more undercover standing area

$0.648 million on toilets and covered spectator standing area on the outer side

$0.140 million on sealing around 120 carparking spaces in the carpark

$2.888 million to be spent within the next year