Where were you?

It was damn embarrassing. I expected thousands more to be there, if only to say goodbye to Neitz.

We sounded pretty loud at stages though.. but that's not the point.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne have the worse supporters and congrats to thoes who went. It was a brillient game and the sight of bate, mclean, jones, austin, valenti, moloney, garland all made me smile. But this club has not got enough pashionate supporters and will struggle to ever be a powerhouse without them. If u follow melbourne get to the ground. These guys are doing there best and part of following a club is to watch them play well and at times watch them struggle. If u call urself a supporter but dont go to games or chip in finantually or with presence then just dont follow the club.

thing is, there isn't a correlation between being a powerhouse ($'s and members), and being successful. Hawthorn were v successful in 80's & 90's and nearly folded. Same for North at times in that period. Also, Brisbane won 3 flags in a row, and made a loss each year (think that's right). On the other hand, Richmond and Carltank and the filth have huge supporter/membership base, but have won bugger all since the 80's. And then there's Freo - $'s to burn, huge membership, yet they're a basket case.

I was surrounded by hawks. We didn't see much red and blue where we were sitting. I saw the whole game but was shattered as I only got in as the warm up was finishing. My mate and I were devastated to miss the opportunity to say goodbye to Neita. Can't believe I missed that.

We have the most embarrassing soft cork supporters in the competition. Unfortunately I know plenty. They turn up when things are rosy.

Most Dees barrackers make me want to puke.

I was making a fool of myself as usual in MCC, just to the right and a few rows back from the players race. [censored] hawks fans around me too but we carried on, deal with what we have and hope it grows

I was pretty disappointed by the turn up of Demons supporters.

I was on the bottom level of the Southern Stand, and was easily outnumbered in my area by Hawks fans.

We were easily outnumbered on the day..........and not a total surprise considering this was one of the substitute games Hawks members get in Melbourne for one of the four they play in Tas, and they are flying at the minute.

Credit where it's due.......the Hawks fans all stood and applauded the great man on his lap of honor, and the guard of honor at the end of the game was terrific as well.

Yeah, i agree. They seemed very respectful during his lap, and credit to Clarko for running over to the car, and for their players making the guard of honour. Very respectful of the great man

pahhh you guys...

try wearing the full kit and sitting in the stands at a freo home game... and being the only sound out there when we kicka goal lol and have 30,000 blokes with no teeth turn and snarl at ya...

they trash ya car and everything if you have demon stickers at teh game lol

so i take my bike lol

its the weirdest feeling not like any melb game its like crickets when they arent winning .. then they fight amongst themselves as the natives get restless..

Add one more to the southern stand next week fella's i'll be back

I've found that when I've gone this year I've seen a few things that made it worth coming. If only other fans felt the same way.

Yeah, same here.

Melbourne have the worse supporters

Over at TD the WB are flying high - just like the Hawks - and played host to the Roos, who made a prelim last year and are in the eight atm, and only got 34,000. Anything to say about them?

Our supporters are a fickle bunch. They have been for a while and will be for quite some time yet.

If Dees supporters are fickle, then most/all sporting club upporters are 'fickle'. Membership figures of most AFL Clubs ebb and flow based on performance. I'd suggest that crowd attendances do too - I'm sure you'll see us have more supporters when we're undefeated and top of the ladder after nine weeks, just like the Hawks had pretty poor attendances a few years ago when they were struggling on-field.

If u call urself a supporter but dont go to games or chip in finantually or with presence then just dont follow the club.

I don't think it's a smart move to greet Dees supporters with hostility simply because they don't have the same level of commitment to AFL football as most of the people who post on here. All Clubs have the people who say they're a fan but don't take much interest, as well as those who go to every game, and everything in between. Unfortunately, we have smaller supporter bases than the powerhouse Clubs, and thus less hardcore fans.

Just my 2c.

Yeah, same here.

Over at TD the WB are flying high - just like the Hawks - and played host to the Roos, who made a prelim last year and are in the eight atm, and only got 34,000. Anything to say about them?

If Dees supporters are fickle, then most/all sporting club upporters are 'fickle'. Membership figures of most AFL Clubs ebb and flow based on performance. I'd suggest that crowd attendances do too - I'm sure you'll see us have more supporters when we're undefeated and top of the ladder after nine weeks, just like the Hawks had pretty poor attendances a few years ago when they were struggling on-field.

I don't think it's a smart move to greet Dees supporters with hostility simply because they don't have the same level of commitment to AFL football as most of the people who post on here. All Clubs have the people who say they're a fan but don't take much interest, as well as those who go to every game, and everything in between. Unfortunately, we have smaller supporter bases than the powerhouse Clubs, and thus less hardcore fans.

Just my 2c.

Well said Rogue.

I've ranted this before I'll rant it again. You don't attract new member's by telling them to pizzle off, they should have been members already. Even worse is telling members to pizzle off if they can't get to games. Work commitments mean I can't make most Saturday day games, others can't make other times. There are a plethora of reasons for not getting to a game and "can't be bothered" is a legitimate one.

Everybody has different levels of commitment and for some it grows with time. I became a member 6 years ago, coming on my own. In the second year my sister started coming occasionally, in the third her friend started joining her. They're now in their third year as members and we've got reserved seat's for the first time. They can get to Saturday games and get to more games than me now. Yesterday we sat in our reserved seats for the first time since round 2. At other home games we sat in general admission because our group is starting to grow again. 4 more Dees supporting friends have been joining us sporadically at games. Hopefully with time, and a few more wins, they'll step up to become members. The footy shouldn't be a chore you feel compelled to attend, it should be a social occasion you look forward to, win, lose or draw.

The 70-point loss to Adelaide probably would have had something to do with it! And always going to be less people on Sunday.

Strange that the MCC vs Freo was completely full with Demon supporters, yet wasn't full yesterday.

I was in my reserved seat for the game as per usual. Why didn't you buy me a beer "weapon"???? That is the real tragedy!

Since I was in a rather large round with a few mates, next time introduce yourself and you might get in on it...

pahhh you guys...

try wearing the full kit and sitting in the stands at a freo home game... and being the only sound out there when we kicka goal lol and have 30,000 blokes with no teeth turn and snarl at ya...

they trash ya car and everything if you have demon stickers at teh game lol

so i take my bike lol

its the weirdest feeling not like any melb game its like crickets when they arent winning .. then they fight amongst themselves as the natives get restless..

Add one more to the southern stand next week fella's i'll be back

lol, much respect.

I will be selfish and say I had a magnificent day - except for the bloody car park situation.. half closed for some reason!!!

saw our young kids play hard contested footy for most of the day!! take the game on and challenge one of the premiership favourites.. they can talk about injuries and suspensions, but we had a massive crack and this is the level we should be expecting!!

the run of buckley yesterday was fantastic - he may turn it over now and again but he breaks the lines and encourages others!!

i could go through the whole team but well, they all gave something to us!!

not sure how the captain felt about walking through the players after the game but he has given us so much pleasure on that ground and he deserved that last walk....

with performances like this, people will turn up - see a hard contested brand of footy with moments of brilliance!!

Massive contrast to the last time I was the MCG, I felt totally outnumbered by the opposition.

Its a lot of about who you are sitting around.

I was in the MCC members, took a rugby union mate from Queensland to his first ever game at the G. From where we were sitting it sounded to both of us like the MFC fans were making as much noise, if not more, then the Dork supporters, so would rate it as an impressive showing by the fans by the fans, as well as the players efforts on the ground.

Anyone else got specific problems with Sunday games?

OMR..I do.. more chance of me getting to a Sat game for sure. ( for me)

as to yesterday..took family member to Hospital. ( pre arranged) somehow I think that trumps footy dontya think peeps !!

Sorry but I spend all day at local footy on a satdy, hit the town of a night time and there is no chance of me getting in the car and putting up with 2hrs on the road plus traffic then parking and all the rest of it, not only do I not have the time but its getting to bloody expensive for country supporters to have to come to games etc. for the cost of me to come to one game a month I can have fox sports at home and watch many games....

I hate having to justify not going to games under the tone of not being a real supporter.

I buy my family membership each year nowing my sons footy is anytime on a sunday.

My youngest daughter isnt that interested yet.

My oldest daughter goes to uni, works and isnt always able to go.

But we do what we can to help support the club and it hurt not being there yesterday.

Three families from my junior footy club would have been there had it been played on saterday

I doubt the jibe is meant at anyone on these boards tbh.

I think it's meant more people like my friend, who go for the dees but would rather watch Eurovision than go to the game

As always, the problem is the MFC demographic, which is comprised primarily of rich bayside toffs who would rather be at Mt.Buller than be at the MCG.

These people deserve to die in a fire.

I cant believe some of the people on here. It was a fu**** disgrace seing very few melbourne supporters at the game and i recon if we actually did relocate only 20% of supporters would really honestly feel sad. the others would feel brief sadness and move on. Thank god there are just some people on here that care for the club enough to get to the games and support the team who need it more than ever.