• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

State Games

DemonWorshipper

S.O.O  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was just watching a Melbourne V Coll game from 1993 and Drew Morphett to the series of SOO games played the week before, including allusions to Matthew Febey's huge mark for Tassie in Hobart.

Anyway, It got me thinking of how much I used to love watching state games (Go The Vics !!).

I would love to see state games come back. Would surely beat Int. Rules imo. The only problem I see is similar to one facing Int. Rules, there needs to be some way of getting the best players to play. This is crucial in state of origin as lot more players are required (eg. 30 odd for Int. Rules, 100 odd for State of Origin).

I would love to see state games come back. Would surely beat Int. Rules imo. The only problem I see is similar to one facing Int. Rules, there needs to be some way of getting the best players to play. This is crucial in state of origin as lot more players are required (eg. 30 odd for Int. Rules, 100 odd for State of Origin).

This issue may be addressed by looking @ the alternative years option - the critical issue is getting all 16 clubs behind the concept. How do we achieve this? This is the problem. For example, there was a fella by the name of Anderson or Hall (i think... can anyone remember?) who was from SA and played for the Hawks - a genuine star who ruptured his ACL. This injury practically finished his career. The costs associate with rehab were borne by the club but more importantly, so was the cost of having a player of his ilk sitting on the sidelines (and still being paid).

As with all serious injuries, there are no gaurantees with the outcome.

Overall its a pity as I love the rep clashes as did our forefathers.

What about if this side represented the Vics:

Based on a side selected by the afl.com.au staff writers mid season, with my own additions.

B: C.Johnson Fletcher Wirrpunda

HB:Gilbee Maguire Hodge

C: Johnstone S.Mitchell Dal Santo

HF: Bruce J Brown S.Grant

F: NG Brown B.Hall Milne

FOLL: Peter Everitt Judd Ball

I/C: B Harvey West Braun Goodes

Would you get behind that ?

Surely there isnt enough Tasmanians in the AFL to put together a competitive side?

No, when the team did exist though it was topped up with players from the local competition. In 1990 the team actually managed to defeat the Victorian team at North Hobart Oval. The level of competition down here isn't high enough to do that these days, but back then it certainly was competitive.

Anyway, the idea now is totally unfeasible because as you said Tassie (and perhaps Qld and NSW) wouldn't be able to field a competitive side. That wasn't my point anyway. ;)

Edited by Nasher

I'd love to see it back, i started watching footy just around the time that state rep footy was going out of fashion.

But as a lot of people have said, the problem is that if someone gets seriously injured and it ends their season or career then clubs will ban players from doing it.

I picked alternate years; hopefully it would make it a bigger thing. There needs to be more prestige in being picked, that way the players will want to be picked rather than refuse it.

If we were to bring it back, I’d almost think that it'd be at the expense of the International rules. So if Ireland decides they don't want to go a few rounds with us then that might replace it.

Nasher and Trav raise sensible points.

Further I would hate to see MFC players injured in such games. They are risk enough during the year without this side show.

Nasher,

Supporting the Allies is as meaningful as playing them. Just means nothing.

After the debacle of the of the hybrid International Rules circus, you would think people would have learned more.

I watch football because I find it entertaining. Watching Melbourne win games (or hopefully a premiership) is just a bonus. Enjoying the football is the best bit. Therefore the idea of seeing the best players in the competition playing with and against each other would be the ultimate in football entertainment.

Injuries are part of football and it is just something that players and supporters have to live with.

Edited by Vote For Pedro

FWIW i think SoO is more relevent than the international rules which is a completely different game played against amature sportsmen. not taking away anything from the irish but i think now sheedy is in charge we will find that things go our way more an more.

i can't understand the fuss about injuries in SoO. injurys occur anywhere. intraclub practice matches. preseason training. wizard cup. hit by a car. these things happen. if the concept was to push forward, i think the afl would need to take on the responsibility that the clubs normally have with regard to players. ie rehab, work cover, career ending injuries should be covered by afl. im sure there is insurrance for this type of stuff so no one should be too out of pocket.

i also understand where the tassie people are coming from. its not relevent for the allies to play. but the NRL does just nsw v qland, so why couldnt we have vic v sa? allies is a bit farfetched, but it might work it if was tassie+qland v wa>

we could have one game each year, or a carnival every 2 years. winners play off in a gf SoO. make it a three match series and the three matches will all be relevent. no dead rubbers.

i think that representative footy is sorely lacking in football. it proves it is not about the money, but about playing your best. it sounds a bit ammaturish in a proffessional sport but it is important to the supporters and to he players that money isnt everything.

SoO would fill this void.

Would love to see it return. I was at the last ever match, what a great thrill to see some MFC players (that were in a struggling side) running around with the best players in the league. I think the issue of players getting injured is blown out of proportion. Like deanox said above, every time a player steps onto a ground in a match or at training, or just decides to do some home handy-work (eg M Voss), they face the risk of getting injured.

Whilst I agree that the interstate rivalries have lost their edge with the National competition, the biggest attraction for me to watch state footy is not to cheer on the Big V against the Crow-eaters or Sandgropers, but to watch a game of Australian rules football containing the 44 best players in the world. Seeing the classic match ups (and a forward line containing Lockett and Dunstall, with Ablett lurking around), and occasionally watching AFL teammates playing on each other is really exciting to me as a fan of Aussie rules, not just the MFC.

Bring back State-of-Origin football!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

It is awesome.

IT should be back and the alternate years theory is a great option.

I suggest that it should be Vic v Sa; Wa v Qld/NSW/Tas combine.

Lets face it, Vic v SA is the biggest rivalry and the one everyone would love.

WA v the rest can then be given time to develop.

There is nothing better than seeing the best players in the comp running around.

Make the game mid year and make it compulsory. If a player pulls out then he cannot play the next game for his club. That will sort out the issue of players, having a twinge when SOO is on.

Injuries will happen. It's just the nature of our sport. But they happen in that useless comp at the start of the year too.

Pretty old thread to bump.....

Very difficult to get going again due to spread of teams.

Rugby League State of Origin works so well as all but two teams are in the two states..

Edited by No16

Make the game mid year and make it compulsory. If a player pulls out then he cannot play the next game for his club. That will sort out the issue of players, having a twinge when SOO is on.

Injuries will happen. It's just the nature of our sport. But they happen in that useless comp at the start of the year too.

Lets focus on a Chinese team in the AFL in 2013. Its more likely than the irrelevant SOO arrangement. Really punching up the Irish in the hybrid rules has more interest.

Why increase the risk of injuries to your top players on such a nothing farce? The pre season competition is a glammed up pre season practice match and necessary for the development for the main season.

At a time when we are trying to spell our players in the middle of the season, another Circus is being considered. :wacko:

And I am sure Nick Riewoldt will treat playing for the Allies as a career highlight. :rolleyes:

RIP SOO.

Having never played at this level therefore obviously not playing State of Origin, I believe the players of today should have a say about this. Would they seriously rate it as a career highlight?

I certainly would never refer to State of Origin as a farce as I am sure the majority who played would not either. The 89 game is still one of the best times I have had at a football match.

For me it comes back to how football has changed so significantly. Back in 89 all those champions probably had a 6 pack after the game, the athletic nature of today doesn't allow for this.

I'd be more then happy if they brought it back next year in place of the NAB cup as there'll be an odd number of teams competing. To make it competative though they should have 2 divisions.

DIVISION 1:

South Australia - AAMI Stadium

Vic Country - Skilled Stadium

Vic Metro - Docklands

Western Australia - Subiaco

DIVISION 2:

New South Wales/ACT - Blacktown Oval/Manuka Oval

Northern Territory - TIO Stadium

Queensland - Cazaly Stadium Cairns

Tasmania - Aurora Stadium

Everyone can play each team in their divison once and the top 2 play off in a divison 1 & division 2 final.