Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: JLT 02 Brisbane

jnrmac

Most profitable sports club in Australia

Recommended Posts

For those that don't have access to the Fin Review an interesting article about club finances..some snippets...

West Coast is the most profitable club. $5.4m profit on $64m revenue. Bombers $5m profit (including $3.97m in donations). WCE has paid $137m in dividends & rent to the West Australian Football commission since 1987. WCE has $21.8m of cash and $42m of fixed income and share investments. They are a seriously powerful club on the back of great stadium deals and sponsorship.

Richmond has a cash balance of $10m generating $8.6m from is Aligned Leisure Community Health Centre.

GWS and GC received $48m in funding from the AFL which according the AFL is equivalent to the extra $50m in broadcast rights it receives for having two extra teams in the comp.

If anyone is wondering why get stuffed on fixturing (including friday night games), travel (6 day breaks) or home ground against larger drawing clubs (we have been the home team against Ess once since 2005, Carl 5 times since 2005, Geel 5 times since 2005, Rich 6 times since 2005! This is largely because we are 'given' the QB game - don't ever tell me its a gift from Eddie because we pay for it in other areas such as this) its because the powerful clubs have much greater pull than we do.

Until we start winning it is difficult for us to demand better terms on these areas,. But make no mistake they are a prime cause of the disparity between rich and poor clubs. 

And just as importantly when we start winning we need to ensure we change the dynamics of our revenue. Secure good stadium deal, get serious sponsors, grow membership and demand better fixturing.

We need to embed this in the future to stop Melbourne ever being a pauper again.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

For those that don't have access to the Fin Review an interesting article about club finances..some snippets...

West Coast is the most profitable club. $5.4m profit on $64m revenue. Bombers $5m profit (including $3.97m in donations). WCE has paid $137m in dividends & rent to the West Australian Football commission since 1987. WCE has $21.8m of cash and $42m of fixed income and share investments. They are a seriously powerful club on the back of great stadium deals and sponsorship.

Richmond has a cash balance of $10m generating $8.6m from is Aligned Leisure Community Health Centre.

GWS and GC received $48m in funding from the AFL which according the AFL is equivalent to the extra $50m in broadcast rights it receives for having two extra teams in the comp.

If anyone is wondering why get stuffed on fixturing (including friday night games), travel (6 day breaks) or home ground against larger drawing clubs (we have been the home team against Ess once since 2005, Carl 5 times since 2005, Geel 5 times since 2005, Rich 6 times since 2005! This is largely because we are 'given' the QB game - don't ever tell me its a gift from Eddie because we pay for it in other areas such as this) its because the powerful clubs have much greater pull than we do.

Until we start winning it is difficult for us to demand better terms on these areas,. But make no mistake they are a prime cause of the disparity between rich and poor clubs. 

And just as importantly when we start winning we need to ensure we change the dynamics of our revenue. Secure good stadium deal, get serious sponsors, grow membership and demand better fixturing.

We need to embed this in the future to stop Melbourne ever being a pauper again.

Cheers also found an article from fin regarding our market in Victoria http://www.afr.com/business/sport/how-richmond-have-become-the-biggest-afl-club-in-victoria-20170824-gy3ekm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know its a source of contention and it brings us cash  but I really wish we wouldn't trade games to play in NT.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

For those that don't have access to the Fin Review an interesting article about club finances..some snippets...

West Coast is the most profitable club. $5.4m profit on $64m revenue. Bombers $5m profit (including $3.97m in donations). WCE has paid $137m in dividends & rent to the West Australian Football commission since 1987. WCE has $21.8m of cash and $42m of fixed income and share investments. They are a seriously powerful club on the back of great stadium deals and sponsorship.

Richmond has a cash balance of $10m generating $8.6m from is Aligned Leisure Community Health Centre.

GWS and GC received $48m in funding from the AFL which according the AFL is equivalent to the extra $50m in broadcast rights it receives for having two extra teams in the comp.

If anyone is wondering why get stuffed on fixturing (including friday night games), travel (6 day breaks) or home ground against larger drawing clubs (we have been the home team against Ess once since 2005, Carl 5 times since 2005, Geel 5 times since 2005, Rich 6 times since 2005! This is largely because we are 'given' the QB game - don't ever tell me its a gift from Eddie because we pay for it in other areas such as this) its because the powerful clubs have much greater pull than we do.

Until we start winning it is difficult for us to demand better terms on these areas,. But make no mistake they are a prime cause of the disparity between rich and poor clubs. 

And just as importantly when we start winning we need to ensure we change the dynamics of our revenue. Secure good stadium deal, get serious sponsors, grow membership and demand better fixturing.

We need to embed this in the future to stop Melbourne ever being a pauper again.

Totally agree Jnr. There is no more excuses

winning is paramount, otherwise no one will care

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's why I think giving up our pokies assets is idiotic, unless it is costing us in other areas namely sponsorship. The evidence is that it doesn't therefore the club should maintain this key source of revenue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(not) funny that the report indicates that the cost of running gc17 and gw$ is net-revenue neutral as the extra revenue they bring in in terms of broadcast rights is merely lost in propping em up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AFL is also completely disengenuous claiming the extra $50m in media rights revenue is solely due to having GC & GWS in the comp. The rights would have continued skyrocketing regardless. 

Channel 7 values these expansion clubs so highly that they schedule their games on secondary channels in their home markets. Foxtel would have seen maybe a 0.1% growth in NSW & QLD subscriptions due to the expansion clubs. 

I don't really have an issue with the financial support of the expansion clubs (the academies are another matter) but the AFL's justification is absurd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The AFL is also completely disengenuous claiming the extra $50m in media rights revenue is solely due to having GC & GWS in the comp. The rights would have continued skyrocketing regardless. 

Channel 7 values these expansion clubs so highly that they schedule their games on secondary channels in their home markets. Foxtel would have seen maybe a 0.1% growth in NSW & QLD subscriptions due to the expansion clubs. 

I don't really have an issue with the financial support of the expansion clubs (the academies are another matter) but the AFL's justification is absurd.

sort of - having two teams in there means that afl is on free to air weekly, regardless of whether or not it's on the main or a subsidiary channel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The AFL is also completely disengenuous claiming the extra $50m in media rights revenue is solely due to having GC & GWS in the comp. The rights would have continued skyrocketing regardless. 

Channel 7 values these expansion clubs so highly that they schedule their games on secondary channels in their home markets. Foxtel would have seen maybe a 0.1% growth in NSW & QLD subscriptions due to the expansion clubs. 

I don't really have an issue with the financial support of the expansion clubs (the academies are another matter) but the AFL's justification is absurd.

Correct but it looks good on the books 

$50 Million thrown away whilst Melbourne clubs are given shocking stadium deals at Etihad and basically told to deal with it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

sort of - having two teams in there means that afl is on free to air weekly, regardless of whether or not it's on the main or a subsidiary channel

It's not the reason for the increased rights deals though. That's a plus for the AFL not channel 7.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

(not) funny that the report indicates that the cost of running gc17 and gw$ is net-revenue neutral as the extra revenue they bring in in terms of broadcast rights is merely lost in propping em up

The AFL spin seems to be :

NSW and Sth QLD are important markets for us to expand. Its revenue neutral at the moment but in future when these teams are embedded then the pie increases...

The price of failure will be very high however....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing that could happen going forward, is a rivalry built between The MFC and Sydney. By that i mean a rivalry built in September, not contrived. 

We need the MCG and SCG to be sell outs each year

Melbourne will have a larger population very soon, we must remind them each year...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DemonAndrew said:

sort of - having two teams in there means that afl is on free to air weekly, regardless of whether or not it's on the main or a subsidiary channel

Think that’s a very good point  - in the heartland of NRL AFL footy is on TV weekly therefore appealing to National Sponsors.

Plus you get Vic, SA, WA and Queensland coverage again weekly but obviously the NRL is not as strong in those states. 

If I was.an International sponsor looking for a foothold in Australia I’m 90% of the time going AFL. Importantly often the AFL will pass these sponsors back to clubland where possible. 

Edited by DaveyDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DaveyDee said:

Think that’s a very good point  - in the heartland of NRL AFL footy is on TV weekly therefore appealing to National Sponsors.

Plus you get Vic, SA, WA and Queensland coverage again weekly but obviously the NRL is not as strong in those states. 

If I was.an International sponsor looking for a foothold in Australia I’m 90% of the time going AFL. Importantly often the AFL will pass these sponsors back to clubland where possible. 

60% of all ad dollars come from nsw and qld....it ain't rocket science. Follow the money...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

60% of all ad dollars come from nsw and qld....it ain't rocket science. Follow the money...

I’m with you all the way - but try explain that to some around here who constantly complain about our National Competition & the AFL. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I know its a source of contention and it brings us cash  but I really wish we wouldn't trade games to play in NT.

What is the alternative source of income you are suggesting then ?  If you advocate the removal of one income stream you need an alternative - post constructive comments in below thread

 

 

Edited by DaveyDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

60% of all ad dollars come from nsw and qld....it ain't rocket science. Follow the money...

ratings in NSW and Qld are very low and show no signs of increase.

Ratings =advertisers

Bears have now been in Brisbane around 30 years and the media penetration is low in a city where it only competes with one NRL club.

If it wasn't for pay TV who use AFL as a loss leader the TV rights would be lucky to increase at all. Foxtel pay around 60% if not more of the rights fees.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What national competition?  Oh you mean the MFL  Mainland Football League.  Tassie is part and a state of Australia, so until it has a team the AFL is the MFL.

Most club sponserships  are from overseas companies, including owe own.  So local money isn't the be all and end all.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

ratings in NSW and Qld are very low and show no signs of increase.

Ratings =advertisers

Bears have now been in Brisbane around 30 years and the media penetration is low in a city where it only competes with one NRL club.

If it wasn't for pay TV who use AFL as a loss leader the TV rights would be lucky to increase at all. Foxtel pay around 60% if not more of the rights fees.

I don't disagree that ratings = advertisers per se but there are broader metrics than that including column inches in newspapers and the online equivalent. And while not defending the AFL move to NSW and QLD, if you don't have coverage there National Sponsers may not even look at the product. We don't know what the sponsors / broadcasters are saying but its a fair bet that extra games and penetration into those key ad markets is ovetrall a positive. 

The proof of the pudding I guess is the escalation in broadcast rights revenue. At least that's what Gil would say :blink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I don't disagree that ratings = advertisers per se but there are broader metrics than that including column inches in newspapers and the online equivalent. And while not defending the AFL move to NSW and QLD, if you don't have coverage there National Sponsers may not even look at the product. We don't know what the sponsors / broadcasters are saying but its a fair bet that extra games and penetration into those key ad markets is ovetrall a positive. 

The proof of the pudding I guess is the escalation in broadcast rights revenue. At least that's what Gil would say :blink:

Having read some documents that were circulated throughout TV Stations, the main drive in AFL expansion is to have NSW exposure every week, now 7mate is fairly hidden, but it is there. So the AFL will say the strategy has been met. 

What makes me angry is that Victorian Clubs are still in massive debt, whilst NSW  is being showered in cas$h, and i don’t think NSW will ever care in great numbers. 

How long do we wait for results? and how many Vic clubs will go under in that same time frame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ex52k2 said:

What national competition?  Oh you mean the MFL  Mainland Football League.  Tassie is part and a state of Australia, so until it has a team the AFL is the MFL.

Most club sponserships  are from overseas companies, including owe own.  So local money isn't the be all and end all.   

Well said , you have to consider both National & International sponsors. 

I too would like to see a full time team in Tasmania - what club do you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I don't disagree that ratings = advertisers per se but there are broader metrics than that including column inches in newspapers and the online equivalent. And while not defending the AFL move to NSW and QLD, if you don't have coverage there National Sponsers may not even look at the product. We don't know what the sponsors / broadcasters are saying but its a fair bet that extra games and penetration into those key ad markets is ovetrall a positive. 

The proof of the pudding I guess is the escalation in broadcast rights revenue. At least that's what Gil would say :blink:

Well said TV rights are the biggest component of the equation but not all of the equation. Long-term online rights IMHO are going to surpass TV rights. 

Edited by DaveyDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever you think of Jeff Kennett it is refreshing to see a contrary view:

Kennett says he told the Hawks players not to expect him to ever approve them playing for points overseas, adding they have an obligation to their members to do whatever they can to win a premiership.

The former Victorian premier would prefer officials stabilise the local game before all else.

He took issue with minnows like St Kilda needing league help to balance their books.

In 2016, the Saints received $18.6 million in league handouts while Hawthorn were among seven clubs to get between $10-12 million.

"Most of the clubs are financially dependent on the AFL to open their doors," he said.

"For goodness sake, surely we should be concentrating on making the game here self-supporting."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-s-expansion-into-china-india-a-waste-of-money-kennett-20180313-p4z43p.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Whatever you think of Jeff Kennett it is refreshing to see a contrary view:

Kennett says he told the Hawks players not to expect him to ever approve them playing for points overseas, adding they have an obligation to their members to do whatever they can to win a premiership.

The former Victorian premier would prefer officials stabilise the local game before all else.

He took issue with minnows like St Kilda needing league help to balance their books.

In 2016, the Saints received $18.6 million in league handouts while Hawthorn were among seven clubs to get between $10-12 million.

"Most of the clubs are financially dependent on the AFL to open their doors," he said.

"For goodness sake, surely we should be concentrating on making the game here self-supporting."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-s-expansion-into-china-india-a-waste-of-money-kennett-20180313-p4z43p.html

It’s just madness to try to expand like this when clubs have so much debt

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s just madness to try to expand like this when clubs have so much debt

Australia is the only country it happens in. AFL, NBL, NRL, A-league. Each have a history of expansion when the existent teams are already struggling. The overall pie is positive because of a few teams holding up everyone else, but when you expand too quickly you destablise everything and end up having to dip into the coffers even more. I feel the NBL is on the right track atm, although they are teasing a second Melbourne team, and I don't think that's the right idea.

As soulless and corporate as the NBA and NFL are, at least when a team is struggling they move it, rather than just keep it going *and* expand into new markets. Vancouver to Memphis. Seattle to OKC (although the team could've stayed in Seattle if not for a greedy owner...), Charlotte to New Orleans. 

North should have moved to the GC. And GWS shouldn't have a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    If there was ever a prime example of a team of players not ready for the new football season it was Melbourne in the opening round of 2019.   Throughout the field there was just too much evidence of players who haven’t had sufficient pre-season or players who ordinarily wouldn’t have even graced the field at this early stage.   The Demons also got a lesson on selection with Port Adelaide showing that two ruckmen on the field is an essential for this season.  It was a lesson that should

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WELCOME GAME by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has moved forward in leaps and bounds since it last met Port Adelaide in a totally forgettable (for Demon fans) season opener on the MCG.  That game, played on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 before a crowd of 22,924, was supposed to be a close encounter between two of the competition’s lesser lights from the previous season when the Power had finished 14th and the Demons 16th (ahead only of AFL newbies Gold Coast and GWS). It turned into a slaughter with Port taking the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE WALKING WOUNDED by Paddy Gosch

    Forget the fact that Melbourne narrowly missed out on getting the four JLT points on offer for a second consecutive week and the blow to the ego of a supposed top four contender losing ... well almost at home ... to a team that has recently dwelt in the AFL cellar and won a mere five games in 2018. The things that emerged from the horror final JLT outing was that the Demons are a long way from being prepared to take on the rigours of a long tough season in which they have one of the hardest fixt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons have named a star studded line up in it’s final practice match before the season proper. They take on the emerging Brisbane Lions out at Casey which is the second of three matches at the ground on Saturday. Many of the Dees best 22 have been recalled including Vice Captains Max Gawn and Neville Jetta whilst Captains Nathan Jones and Jack Viney will play restricted minutes in the VFL curtain raiser. Former Gold Coast co-captain Steven May will play his first official game for Melb

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIT OUT by Paddy Gosch

    As far as preseason hit outs go, the Demons’ first JLT Community Series fixture against the Tigers in the blistering heat at Shepparton, was instructive of a number of things but not really conclusive as to how each team will fare in the regular season against the competition's big guns (which includes against each other). That’s the way these practice match hit outs go. Neither of the teams was at full strength, particularly Melbourne but if you were looking for the reason for the 12 point

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HOT OUT OF THE CITY by Paddy Gosch

    The Dees travel out of the city for game one of two JLT Community Series practice matches before the season proper. Our first match takes us to the floodplains of the Goldburn River in Northern Victoria to the city of Shepparton. We take on the Tigers for the first of at least 3 encounters with the 2017 Premiers this year. The game will be played in scorching temperatures so expect plenty of rotations, ice vests, fans running overtime and extra water carriers. The Demons are coming off a wi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GAME, SET & SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    I always believe in starting off any report by accentuating the positive and in that regard, as at the time of writing, the Demons have not reported any injuries so that’s my major positive from today’s practice game v the Magpies (albeit that we know the club is somewhat lax in reporting these things so my best wishes go out if any of today’s participants are in intensive care at the Alfred).  Another positive was that Razor Ray performed his umpiring duties admirably which is more than I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons are set to take on the old enemy Collingwood in a good old fashioned Scratch Match on Friday Morning. It is unknown what form the match will take, how many quarters there will be, their length, the amount of rotations or even whether they'll keep score. One thing we do know for sure is that both coaching staffs will be keeping their cards close to their chests to ensure neither will glean too much from their competition. The Dees will likely be without some of their stars as Tom

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    IMAGINE by Whispering Jack

    The Demons made their official return to the training track for 2019 on a sunny Saturday morning at Goschs Paddock with most of the interest initially centred on a small patch of ground in one of the pockets where the rehab group was going through the paces. Some good pieces of news on that score. The  rehab group is considerably smaller than it was prior to the Christmas break with Christian Petracca (knee), James Harmes (shoulder), Jayden Hunt (shoulder), Neville Jetta (shoulder), Oscar M

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

×
×
  • Create New...