Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tall option likely(possible) with 3rd pick

beelzebub

Tall option likely fir Dee's 3rd pick

Matt Burgan ( AFL-site ) goes on to suggest:

""WITH Melbourne's first two picks in this year's NAB AFL Draft all but locked in, the club's third pick - No.11 overall - remains a mystery.

Tom Scully (Dandenong Stingrays) and Jack Trengove (Sturt) are considered by most to be certainties for the first two selections, with only the order in which the pair is drafted creating intrigue.

What seems certain is that several talented talls - including 198cm ruckman Nathan Vardy as well as other key position players - will still be available for the Dees at their Nos.11 and 18 picks.""

Well its that time of the game. Every possibility will be written about from now til whence the numbers are called out.

So far though much deliberation has been given to the likes of a sliding Butcher..or a Talia..or Black etc being taken with pick 11. of course this morning its also being touted as a threatened way of nabbing the bouncing Ball.. With the now more than equal betting possibility we may take Mitch Thorp either in the ND or the PSD new focus can be allowed towards the use of Melbournes 3rd pick at 11.

Vardy's name isnt unknown in the thinkings and suggested selections by many a pundit but for the most part it has been as a lucky filip ought he still be around at pick 18. Melbourne is incredibly lucky in having 4 picks inside the first 20, no other club does. There is pressure inbuilt then to use them wisely in this year of compromised selections.

Weve just delisted one Ruck. were not convinced , other than Jamar as to who else will step up as his sidekick so it might well be intelligent to give more than a peripheral glance at any decent talls...and sooner rather than later.

I went to school with Nathan Vardy, mind you he was pretty young then.

Knowing the amount of Vardy's that hail from the Yarram/Woodside area i'm pretty sure he's related to Royce Vardy, the man who all but lost the TAC sponsorship for Richmond.

He can play a bit so good luck to him.

Tall option likely fir Dee's 3rd pick

Matt Burgan ( AFL-site ) goes on to suggest:

""WITH Melbourne's...

I couldn't decide between Tapscott or Vardy for pick 11..

Went with Tappy when musing on another thread, thinking that Vardy would still be available at 34. (Daw- Pick 18)

Sounds like:

'Tall' -pick 11 (Vardy?)

'Best available - 18 (Tapscott? / Daw?)

'ditto' - 34 (Daw? / The other Jurrah? / Grimes??)

I couldn't decide between Tapscott or Vardy for pick 11..

Went with Tappy when musing on another thread, thinking that Vardy would still be available at 34. (Daw- Pick 18)

Sounds like:

'Tall' -pick 11 (Vardy?)

'Best available - 18 (Tapscott? / Daw?)

'ditto' - 34 (Daw? / The other Jurrah? / Grimes??)

Daw??!? at 18?

You'd have to be be joking...

My favourite pastime at this time of year is watching people claim they want someone at one pick and then keep their name at the next pick (usually 16 positions later in the draft). Surely if you seriously think someone will go in one spot, you don't think he would slip by 15 more picks.

My favourite pastime at this time of year is watching people claim they want someone at one pick and then keep their name at the next pick (usually 16 positions later in the draft). Surely if you seriously think someone will go in one spot, you don't think he would slip by 15 more picks.

I might slide this year...

Daw??!? at 18?

You'd have to be be joking...

why ? His performance at Vic-Screening and in the estimation of more than one observer has his measure massively uprated.

Many of the more fancied players.. kpp-talls..& poss rucks etc will quite likely be gone by 18. If the Carlisle's , Talia's, Butcher's, Vardy's and Blacks"s of this draft arent there come our 18 why not look outside the square and look to someone who , yes is raw, and in need of quite some coaching but with massive simply athletic ability. Many a player ( draftee ) has been taken on less visible evidence.

He wont be there at 30 let alone 34....doubt it very much.

With the likely hood of Thorp in the PSd and having succeeded in grabbing the dynamic duo with 1 & 2 we are well on our way to addressing massive shortcomings. Dot forget we still have a handful of kids to really hit the park so is there that much sillyness in looking forward a bit and bringing on baord a couple of guys who we know are projects ??. Its a bit like grabbing early out of the next draft in a sense for god knows how little we may get out of the next 2-3 years .

You should list that in your favourites.....

One of my favourites is when some put in someone at pick 18 or 34 and haven't seen footage of them; or live. (because there isn't any; not rated). They proceed to put them in front of another prospect later on - who is touted 'at best' rookie draft, by some draft analysts - yet have seen only approx. 4mins of You Tube highlights, of which they get most excited over. The prospect's previous U18 coach also (with fingers crossed) states, he hopes the 'prospect' gets drafted as a rookie (must be in the know as a coach), which somehow gets all lost once the highlights are viewed.

Then they use the old chestnut - " he is a smokey" as a get out clause and spruik, "OMG, he'll go 2nd round!".

Edited by High Tower

why ? His performance at Vic-Screening and in the estimation of more than one observer has his measure massively uprated.

Many of the more fancied players.. kpp-talls..& poss rucks etc will quite likely be gone by 18. If the Carlisle's , Talia's, Butcher's, Vardy's and Blacks"s of this draft arent there come our 18 why not look outside the square and look to someone who , yes is raw, and in need of quite some coaching but with massive simply athletic ability. Many a player ( draftee ) has been taken on less visible evidence.

With the likely hood of Thorp in the PSd and having succeeded in grabbing the dynamic duo with 1 & 2 we are well on our way to addressing massive shortcomings. Dot forget we still have a handful of kids to really hit the park so is there that much sillyness in looking forward a bit and bringing on baord a couple of guys who we know are projects ??. Its a bit like grabbing early out of the next draft in a sense for god knows how little we may get out of the next 2-3 years .

I honestly thought you were smarter than that.

My mistake.

I honestly thought you were smarter than that.

My mistake.

Before you dismiss quite so out of hand.,.. and without any argument to the contrary, consider this. Just how many of the oh-no-not-another-utilty types do we need ? yes arguably more than a few wont last for ever on our lists but we have a few:

Bail, Bartram, Bell, Bennell, Blease, Cheney, Dunn , Jetta, Maric, McNamara , Petterd, Struss heally Huhghes and McKenzie and possibly Wonna.

Some havent even any real games to them yet . We have also some who have already shown reasons to keep: Grimes, Morton, and I suppose players like Martin and Spencer fall somewhere into a group like this also. We have some decent mids , if not top flight and were about to add to them honing this section for some time.

How many more general-utility type-mids do we want ? Harrington has already intimated that there wil be more than a hint of height in latter picks..i.e after 1 and 2. The better tall timber will undoubtedly have gone by 18...so whats left to venture into. I simply suggest thats where a few projects come into the picture. Daw is no Nic Nac but can reach just about as far and already has a better lower game than him .If this guy can pick up as much about our game in a few short years ...the mind boggles as to his limits if given AFL level coaching and facilities.

Harrington has had stints with both Nth and the Pups...co-incidentally the two clubs most closely eying Daw.

Sometimes you have to take a bit of a punt. Probably in 'normal' times Daw wouldnt even get a look in before 50-60...but these are not normal times and the chance for us to grab the cherries wont come along for a long long time. Yes..an unripened cherry... granted !!

Ridiculous notion that we would waste pick 18 on such a raw project player when there will still be so much talent left on the board.

Majak Daw may look athletically like he can hang with the best of them, but the game is played between the ears.

There are so many other facets to an AFL player that he does not yet possess.

so you just go adding utilities to the pile ad nauseum ??

thats a plan :unsure:

Success is often found when you push limits. Maybe 18 is normally far too early..I agree.. But differing times call for differing actions. We have no capacity now to Rookie anyone...unless either Newton or Meesen are taken up. In this year of compromises other clubs will do things different than the norm as they too realise some opportunities just wont last

So ..if Carlisle, Vardy, Butcher, Black or Panos are not there come 18...what tall would you KS take..and why ?

granted if they are they are a better choice...but my premise has been to say ..what if they arent .

Before you dismiss quite so out of hand.,.. and without any argument to the contrary, consider this. Just how many of the oh-no-not-another-utilty types do we need ? yes arguably more than a few wont last for ever on our lists but we have a few:

Bail, Bartram, Bell, Bennell, Blease, Cheney, Dunn , Jetta, Maric, McNamara , Petterd, Struss heally Huhghes and McKenzie and possibly Wonna.

Some havent even any real games to them yet . We have also some who have already shown reasons to keep: Grimes, Morton, and I suppose players like Martin and Spencer fall somewhere into a group like this also. We have some decent mids , if not top flight and were about to add to them honing this section for some time.

How many more general-utility type-mids do we want ? Harrington has already intimated that there wil be more than a hint of height in latter picks..i.e after 1 and 2. The better tall timber will undoubtedly have gone by 18...so whats left to venture into. I simply suggest thats where a few projects come into the picture. Daw is no Nic Nac but can reach just about as far and already has a better lower game than him .If this guy can pick up as much about our game in a few short years ...the mind boggles as to his limits if given AFL level coaching and facilities.

Harrington has had stints with both Nth and the Pups...co-incidentally the two clubs most closely eying Daw.

Sometimes you have to take a bit of a punt. Probably in 'normal' times Daw wouldnt even get a look in before 50-60...but these are not normal times and the chance for us to grab the cherries wont come along for a long long time. Yes..an unripened cherry... granted !!

:blink: Are you saying you would keep Spencer, over Aussie? :wacko:

:blink: Are you saying you would keep Spencer, over Aussie? :wacko:

where on earth do I say that.. Im not advocating getting rid of either.

you obviously read it wrong...I said we have a few ( meaning more than a few ) utility types.. i.e...yet to hold down specific KP.. Wonna is amongst them. Not all will be there from that group in coming years.. I didnt specify Wonna.

Spencer you will note is in a different category..a different paragraph even :rolleyes:

Edited by belzebub59

All the media can do is speculate as to what we will do with the 3rd pick, Matt Burgan is no exception. If Tapscott or Stevens are still available at pick 11, I doubt they will get automatically overlooked because we only want a tall with that pick.

Or kane Lucas i have a feeling he is a very good chance to slide, though if he gets to ten essendon will take him.

I would be extremely happy with scully trengove and lucas!

so you just go adding utilities to the pile ad nauseum ??

thats a plan :unsure:

Success is often found when you push limits. Maybe 18 is normally far too early..I agree.. But differing times call for differing actions. We have no capacity now to Rookie anyone...unless either Newton or Meesen are taken up. In this year of compromises other clubs will do things different than the norm as they too realise some opportunities just wont last

So ..if Carlisle, Vardy, Butcher, Black or Panos are not there come 18...what tall would you KS take..and why ?

granted if they are they are a better choice...but my premise has been to say ..what if they arent .

If Carlisle, Vardy, Butcher, Talia, Griffiths and Black (don't rate Panos a top 30 pick) were gone come pick 18, I'd take the best available.

If these kids were all gone you'd be sure to have decent prospect still around that I rate better than Majak Daw, whether a tall or not.

Best available.

It would mean most of Tapscott, Lucas, Jetta, Gysberts, Koby Stevens, Melksham, Rohan, Andrew Moore, Sheppard, Mitch Duncan, Jasper McMillan-Pittard, James Craig, Fitzpatrick, Troy Taylor, Christensen et al would still be available.

I'd sooner take one of these kids before Majak Daw, among others.

What about Serhat Temel? wasn't he supposed to be flavour of the month in september?

Now nobody brings up his name... for good reason.

Edited by Keyser Söze

If Carlisle, Vardy, Butcher, Talia, Griffiths and Black (don't rate Panos a top 30 pick) were gone come pick 18, I'd take the best available.

If these kids were all gone you'd be sure to have decent prospect still around that I rate better than Majak Daw, whether a tall or not.

Best available.

It would mean most of Tapscott, Lucas, Jetta, Gysberts, Koby Stevens, Melksham, Rohan, Andrew Moore, Sheppard, Mitch Duncan, Jasper McMillan-Pittard, James Craig, Fitzpatrick, Troy Taylor, Christensen et al would still be available.

I'd sooner take one of these kids before Majak Daw, among others.

What about Serhat Temel? wasn't he supposed to be flavour of the month in september?

Now nobody brings up his name... for good reason.

ok..i'll keep this short.. Granted the original premise wasnt too likely but it was simple..if all the favoured talls were gone.. then why not look sideways. I proposed you pick a tall.. and you supplied more none tall utility types..

My premise was bult upon the notion as suggested in the article that Harrington was apparently hinting there might be a leaning towards talls after the early picks.

So the criteria was tall..and a what if all the favoured ones were gon.

I accept you view that there would be probably more sound choices..but that wasnt the construct ..thats al :)

Daw at 18???

Are you on crack? Dude has a high ceiling, but why roll the dice so early on when a handful of stronger candidates will still be on the board. At 34 have a look, but pick 11 and 18 should be an educated draft selection based on the best available talent.

Daw at 18???

Are you on crack? Dude has a high ceiling, but why roll the dice so early on when a handful of stronger candidates will still be on the board. At 34 have a look, but pick 11 and 18 should be an educated draft selection based on the best available talent.

try reading the whole thing ...theres context...is that beyond you ?

it was a hypothetical situation.... did i lose you there.

Funnily enough youd consider him with the very next pick we have... so are you on half measure of crack ??

he wont be there at 34...just watch

Edited by belzebub59

I saw a lot of backtracking, but if you choose to call that context.......

Anyway, why would you take Daw at 18 when you could pick him up at 50? We could have taken him later on, but that's our last pick.

To quote Ms Hoover, "Ralph, the other kids are right to laugh at you".

For the record Bob..I said this then..in response to the Daw criticism. I stated it quite early... you might call it back tracking..I call it clarifying...as obviously not every one can read !! <_<

Apparently you cant either.. He wont be there at 50..if that happens all well and good

edit to bold !

Edited by belzebub59