Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons skipper James McDonald to go on

Yencks

Again, Bailey obviously begs to differ.

I don't see how you can make such a call. Leadership aside, the club wouldn't pick McDonald if they didn't think he would be able to play to a required level or such that he was being given a "charity" spot in the side. Not a good message for the players and not a good situation to keep a player.

We are NOT any other club and quite frankly that question gets bandied around from time to time too often about players with little regard to context. We are MFC and we have our own priorities and goals and it would not be prudent by the club to not ensure we have the best possible group of young players as we go forward. Given the circumstances, the MFC brains trust beleives that he is good enough to play for our team and that is all that matters - but if you really want a team I'll say Port, I'll take McDonald over Josh Carr atm. McDonald is not going to be consistently cutting it up next year, you don't expect that from a 33 yr old but that isn't the point. He can play at a good level though as we have seen in the last month. We are talking one more year here not a 3 yr contract. He is on the veterans list ffs so the cost is minimal for such a potential gain with our list going forward. I admit that I am a touch surprised at how keen the club was to re-sign him but that's the point isn't it? - I'm on the outside and they are the inner sanctum and if they were that keen to sign him then he must be doing something right and play a very important role that many of us may not understand.

WTF??????? :angry: :angry: :angry: (Sorry- but this is my initial reaction upon 1st seeing this)

WHY ARE WE GETTING RID OF 'ROBBO' - AT 3 YEARS YOUNGER THAN MACCA - AND WHO HAS (IMO) PLAYED BETTER THAN MACCA ALL YEAR!!!! YET KEEP THE MILLERS, NEWTONS, BELLS and MACCAS???

There is no doubt in my mind that this has been Maccas worst season and he has under-performed all year with only a couple of exceptions. (Even if it is due to injury... Robbo had no pre-season due to injury, so that excuse cannot be used)

Nothing against Macca! He's been a legend of the club for years. But if he was not captain, he would have been dropped many times during the course of the season

-Again, This is a dig at the club the Melbourne Football Club - (not J-Mac), who just recently sacked 3 fantastic players that are a lot younger than 33 (as J -Mac is) - because they weren't apart of the long term plans..

HOW CAN AN OLDER PLAYER AT 33, BE APART OF ANY LONG TERM PLANS????????????????

To me this is worst management than anything 'Danners mob' ever did.. (or didn't do)

I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT BE RENEWING MY MFC MEMBERSHIP FOR THE 2010 SEASON.

EDIT: im just frustrated.. of course lll be paid up an proud next year.. my oooops!

Edited by DemonDan...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF??????? :angry: :angry: :angry: (Sorry- but this is my initial reaction upon 1st seeing this)

WHY ARE WE GETTING RID OF 'ROBBO' - AT 3 YEARS YOUNGER THAN MACCA - AND WHO HAS (IMO) PLAYED BETTER THAN MACCA ALL YEAR!!!! YET KEEP THE MILLERS, NEWTONS, BELLS and MACCAS???

There is no doubt in my mind that this has been Maccas worst season and he has under-performed all year with only a couple of exceptions. (Even if it is due to injury... Robbo had no pre-season due to injury, so that excuse cannot be used)

Nothing against Macca! He's been a legend of the club for years. But if he was not captain, he would have been dropped many times during the course of the season

-Again, This is a dig at the club the Melbourne Football Club - (not J-Mac), who just recently sacked 3 fantastic players that are a lot younger than 33 (as J -Mac is) - because they weren't apart of the long term plans..

To me this is worst management than anything 'Danners mob' ever did.. (or didn't do)

Settle mate. Enough of the Capital letters, we hear you.

It's a 1 year contract......hardly "long term plans" I would have thought. Check his stats this year v his career. Earlier in thread. He provides good leadership and if you're comparing him to robbo's year IMO you're wrong.

That will show'em. Well done. Just what the Club needs. Lead the way.

Firstly, Newton and Bell have contracts.

Secondly, Miller might not last either.

Thirdly, MFC did not sack any players. It chose not to extend their contracts. Whelan and Wheatley have announced their retirement. Robbo wants to chance his arm again fine.

Fourthly, rpfc and BRFE have correctly assessed the situation.

Fifthly, take a Bex lie down, relax, ring the Club on Monday and sign up again.

Weak as [censored]. If it ends up being a bad decision then you go on demonland and write I TOLD YOU SO. You just don't give up and rip up your membership. If everyone was like you and just waited for the club to make good decisions before they became a member then we wouldn't have a member.

With supporters like you it's no wonder the club is in the [censored].

you, my good sir, are an idiot and mfc would be better of without your support.

hopefully you and steamin are the same bloke with cos i'm ashamed if there are two such ignorant, uniformed, to use someone else term, quaterwits that follow the demons. thank god you're not apart of the footy department.

I love robbo more than most and had hoped he would be given another season but if i was looking to keep one or the other for the single spare veterans list spot it would be macca hands down.

while whelan, wheatley and robbo are all fantastic players there bodies have simply not held up. robbo to a lesser degree but he is still coming back from a career threatening injury. macca's body has stood up unbelievabley well for the type of football he plays.

mcdonald is obviously well respected in the footy department who rate him a lot higher than the general public. he's the best tackler in our team and quite often lead the afl in tackles throughout his career. he has been one of our most consistent performers all year, and throughout his career. and i feel he has lead by example on the field. always tackling, coming up on the bottom of the packs. he bleeds red and blue and leaves nothing on the park.

He is a champion of this football club and i wont stand by while you and any other idiot tears shred of one of our great servants.

worse list management than danners mob??? get real son.

thankgod you are not renewing your membership cos you offer less going forward than carr does to port. step aside and let a younger more commited fan take your spot.

Unfortunately i agree with you in some points, it just doesnt seem fair. I think the fact that he is captain has a lot to do with it.

Though i will be renewing my membership and i wish J-Mac all the best!

I Agree with absolutely everything except the membership renewal

My initial reaction to your post is of similar sentiment funny enough, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and read on...

I could give a trivial question a trivial answer but that would be of no value as none of us really know what the motivations of the club are behind closed doors. All I can suggest is that perhaps Robbo is not part of the future up forward and he is contending with younger contracted players who can slot in 1 for 1. In the case of McDonald perhaps the club decided that his impact on the club was too significant to let him go, all things considered with his age, position etc and leadership. I know that you, like many others on this sight may like to argue for the sake of it so I must stipulate that this is purely a suggestion here.

Comparing McDonald to Robbo is probably fruitless if you consider the likely reasons why McDonald is valuable to the club. McDonald had a bit of a bad patch through the middle of the season but he hasn't been that bad tbh. Robbo has had ups and downs too but unfortunately for him perhpas the club didn't see his type of game as being one where his experience would rub off on others to that of our current captain - is that so hard to comprehend?

McDonald plays in a part of the ground where rotations are important and where he can be used tactfully with the younger players - interaction if you like. Robbo on the other hand would most likely be kept in 1 spot that would completely rob someone else of development. What would be the point of keeping Robbo on and usind him on and off up forward? The mechanics with McDonald playing are much more logical. Also Wheatley and Whelan have both retired and it is pretty safe to say that we have ready made defenders to step up 1 for 1. Our midfield will require a lot of development.

He isn't taking the spot of a youngster on our list, his leadership is obviously highly regarded by the club who will blood at least 3 key mids next year. We will have 1 of (if not the) youngest lists in the league - Bailey will need as much leadership on ground as possible without compromising player development, McDonald fits this bill better than any of the other 3 senior players leaving the club IMO.

How a supporter/member could consider that let alone for the reason you have offered is beyond me.

Edited by 1858

The most accomplished MFC player of the last decade besides Neita gets 1 more year and you froth at the mouth like this?!

Again, we have moved on 2500 games worth of experience since 2007.

Giving the skipper an exception to the cull is fine by me, especially considering the need to space out deletions over the next few years. This year is the first of four compromised drafts.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I don't make my membership conditional on the clubs decisions. That is the Richmond way where the members blackmail the club into going against it's own insticts.

Just take a deep breath and relax for a second and think it through. Macca wasn't made Captain because it was his turn. He was made Captain because he is one of the best - if not the best - leader at the club. We have a very young bunch of kids coming through and will grab a couple more soon. Prehaps the club thought that by having him around for another year these kids will learn how to get every ounce of talent out of themselves by watching a man that has done that all his career.

The most accomplished MFC player of the last decade besides Neita gets 1 more year and you froth at the mouth like this?!

Again, we have moved on 2500 games worth of experience since 2007.

Giving the skipper an exception to the cull is fine by me, especially considering the need to space out deletions over the next few years. This year is the first of four compromised drafts.

Ok

Id withdraw the membership comment. No use in not showing support to players, who dont have much of a say in things like this anyway. My blue.. apologises.. I am Pasionate and a true supporter, so i regret that

Jackie (and a couple of others,) I would hate to miss the point!! "You would hate to see me and other shred such a great MFC player Blah, Blah..

I made a point TWICE in the post that this was nothing to do with the great Dees champ in J-Mac himself, but rather a full-dig at the MFC / (the person ultimately deciding on this choice)

The whole point is - MFC get rid of 30 yo Robbo, 29 yo Wheatley and 30yo Whelen - cause they're too old for the club.

Then RETAIN a 33 year old whos body is failing him!! How does that even begin to make sense??

We cant afford these types of mis-judgements at the MFC anymore. Its time to be smart.

C'mon HT -Robbos at least been as good as macca?

RR - What's a 'BEX'?? :huh:;)

Interesting.

>

>

>

Let me just say, it will be interesting for positions, particularly within the midfield.

Probably confirms use of the first 4 picks - 1,2,18,34. & PSD#1. Unless there is another delisting coming. (ie Bartram)

Valenti supporters, how do you feel?

this is it Hightower, does pick 2 now go on a tall forward which DB says we are still lacking

Playing out of the backline on small forwards may be an option for McDonald. I can't see them taking the captaincy from him and keeping him on the list. Surprising decision but no doubt the club looks at this as a weak draft and sees McDonald as far and away the best leader on the list. His last month or so have been pretty good, if he can maintain that form there's no reason why he can't go around again. In saying this I was pretty sure he would be gone at year's end.

the backline is not an option at all , next year we need a settled back six , Junior aint part of it

OK, we all know that following a footy club can be an emotional business, but .........?????........

Calm down mate ..... treat it just like you would a poor umpiring decision that costs us a goal (ie. yell and scream about it at the game to get it off your chest, and then move on). The clouds won't be so dark in the morning, and a new and exciting season is just around the corner. Enjoy it! Be a part of it!

Ok

Id withdraw the membership comment. No use in not showing support to players, who dont have much of a say in things like this anyway. My blue.. apologises.. I am Pasionate and a true supporter, so i regret that

Jackie (and a couple of others,) I would hate to miss the point!! "You would hate to see me and other shred such a great MFC player Blah, Blah..

I made a point TWICE in the post that this was nothing to do with the great Dees champ in J-Mac himself, but rather a full-dig at the MFC / (the person ultimately deciding on this choice)

The whole point is - MFC get rid of 30 yo Robbo, 29 yo Wheatley and 30yo Whelen - cause they're too old for the club.

Then RETAIN a 33 year old whos body is failing him!! How does that even begin to make sense??

We cant afford these types of mis-judgements at the MFC anymore. Its time to be smart.

Well done Dan!! ...... and I'll withdraw my patronising comment above!

Ok

The age of these players has nothing to do with why they were asked to retire. Whelan and Wheatley retired with the bodies of 45 year olds. Robertson was gently nudged because the club needs TEAM players. As good as he has been the current model of player is not Russell. Bailey is building a team that plays 100% of the game as a team, with each player contributing to a strong defensive game, much like Geelong and the Saints and every other great team for that matter. James McDonald is this player. Sure he's older but Harvey retired at 37 so it meens little. McDonald's body isn't failing him, he had one injured knee this year and since he recovered has been playing good football.

He will most likely play a backline roll and I for one will love watching his toughness and team game down back.

He is quite likely the most underrated player this club has had over the last 10 year's and if you actually watched him play you'd realise he easily makes our best 22, and would get a game at most other clubs for that matter. Teams are picked by FD's not posters on club forum's.

the backline is not an option at all , next year we need a settled back six , Junior aint part of it

He'll play in the backline and rotate through the middle, along with Grimes, Bennell, Strauss and Green. Now that's settled!

My initial reaction to your post is of similar sentiment funny enough, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and read on...

I could give a trivial question a trivial answer but that would be of no value as none of us really know what the motivations of the club are behind closed doors. All I can suggest is that perhaps Robbo is not part of the future up forward and he is contending with younger contracted players who can slot in 1 for 1. In the case of McDonald perhaps the club decided that his impact on the club was too significant to let him go, all things considered with his age, position etc and leadership. I know that you, like many others on this sight may like to argue for the sake of it so I must stipulate that this is purely a suggestion here.

Comparing McDonald to Robbo is probably fruitless if you consider the likely reasons why McDonald is valuable to the club. McDonald had a bit of a bad patch through the middle of the season but he hasn't been that bad tbh. Robbo has had ups and downs too but unfortunately for him perhpas the club didn't see his type of game as being one where his experience would rub off on others to that of our current captain - is that so hard to comprehend?

McDonald plays in a part of the ground where rotations are important and where he can be used tactfully with the younger players - interaction if you like. Robbo on the other hand would most likely be kept in 1 spot that would completely rob someone else of development. What would be the point of keeping Robbo on and usind him on and off up forward? The mechanics with McDonald playing are much more logical. Also Wheatley and Whelan have both retired and it is pretty safe to say that we have ready made defenders to step up 1 for 1. Our midfield will require a lot of development.

He isn't taking the spot of a youngster on our list, his leadership is obviously highly regarded by the club who will blood at least 3 key mids next year. We will have 1 of (if not the) youngest lists in the league - Bailey will need as much leadership on ground as possible without compromising player development, McDonald fits this bill better than any of the other 3 senior players leaving the club IMO.

How a supporter/member could consider that let alone for the reason you have offered is beyond me.

Ok... i see what you're saying

But.. I actually think the complete opposite in a 'comparison' sense.

Retaining Macca when we have recruited a plethora of Mids recently and are due to recruit 2 / 3 more in 2 months at the end of year draft, doesn't make sense. Ive always believed that you can never have too many Mids! But this is Mids, under 30 approx, and at the top of their game, (or appaoaching it)

Macca would have been a great ass. coach to have on the boundary next year helping out Scotty West - that would have made sense, a better use of MFC money and a great way to impart all that knowledge and leadership he has to offer IMO.

To further strenghen the point Im trying to make.. What the one thing MFC lacks most right now?

I'd say Marking / Goal-kicking forwards. Bate and Jurrah being the main / only 2.

Bate will be a midfielder as well soon, so that leaves 1 genuine marking forward without Robbo there, for next season. With Watts and Martin (who IMO will be a HB anyway) a year or two away from getting near Robbos level - i just cant understand how we can let Robbo go!!