Hypothetical Poll

Pates

How essential is success?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is not about judging people's loyalty or discussing our teams success in the past or future. It's a research poll for a project i'm doing at university, however i am also interesting in some responses as to the reason of the choice.

What makes this poll hard to answer is that it's 'know for a fact.' The fact you havent seen one in 31 years becomes largely irrelevant because there was still a chance.

I'd stay a supporter because i don't follow us to see us win. I don't go to the footy to see us win, i go to see the MFC. Why else would i go when we're 0-9 playing a superior team? or fly to brisbane when we're 0-5. It is not about winning, it's about following your team, winning just makes it easier.

It wouldn't be a conscious decision I'd make but over time if the trend of what we've seen over the last 15 years continues I'd probably just lose interest. Not straight away but gradually it would chip away, if you don't get enjoyment out of something then really what's the point?

Life is too short

The carrot of success is what really drives you as a supporter. It would be pretty hard to support us, or any team of any nature without it I would've thought. Just like if the team folded or merged, I'd just be one supporter that was lost to the game, at least at the elite level.

How can you go for another team?

You can't change passion.

Of course you can. I know plenty of initially disenchanted Fitzroy supporters that have now become passionate Brisbane supporters.

I agree with Nasher on this one - it would be very hard to support a team without even the hope of a premiership.

Of course you can. I know plenty of initially disenchanted Fitzroy supporters that have now become passionate Brisbane supporters.

I agree with Nasher on this one - it would be very hard to support a team without even the hope of a premiership.

The good news is that we do have hope...they are just more distant hopes then most AFL supporters at the moment.

just remember the real motto of the club : exspecto tunc annus :lol::rolleyes:

I think the question is worded badly, If there is actually a ZERO percent chance of ever winning a premiership again, then it would be very hard to stay interested. Sure, we have waited 40+ years already, but we have always had a hope of winning one. Taking away that hope, changes everything. What would we be supporting? Guaranteed failure?

Before 1987 we lost week in week out, didn't like it but that was life. Then we had to go and start winning games and playing in finals, of course thats felt real good, and all at once losing started to hurt. I'm with them win or lose it's just that you do get used to winning.

I think the question is worded badly, If there is actually a ZERO percent chance of ever winning a premiership again, then it would be very hard to stay interested. Sure, we have waited 40+ years already, but we have always had a hope of winning one. Taking away that hope, changes everything. What would we be supporting? Guaranteed failure?

well done Stylus... one of the few I think to pick up the real qualification of the question. Its not so much worded badly..as very precisely. Thats the whole point.. if there is NO chance of success..who wil still support them. Or more the point...invest money !!

Couldn't possibly lose interest, or worse, change teams. The Dees are in my blood!

I would continue to support the club, financially too, but obviously after years and years of having no success my interest would drop significantly.

Can't imagine ever supporting another club though. I hate them all too much :D

Agree that the wording could be improved, but why be pedantic? Personally, I know that the Dees will not be premiers in 2008, but this knowledge won't dampen my passion, or subdue by baracking, right through to the final siren in round 22.

It is like footbal clubs in England. Apart from the big four teams no other team really has a realistic chance to win anything. They celebrate wins in big games like derbies or qualifying for european competition like premierships. But they still follow with enviable passion. I would hate to think that we would never win another premiership, but I would continue to support and just take pride from big wins like Queens Bday.

I always thought I'd answer "No, would stop following a single football club".

As much as I hate to say it, I'd still support the pricks. I'm consumed by winning a flag, but deep down I know I couldn't turn my back. I love my club too much. Mainly Robbie.

I will buck the trend here and confess that should it be IMPOSSIBLE to win a premiership...that we were NEVER to hold it ahigh again then my enthusiasm for the game would mellow. I have better things to do with my life than follow an IMPOSSIBLE pursuit.

And this is the tenet of the original hypothetical.. that we CANT win it !!

This is dramatically different from what we go through al the time of having a hard job of doing it. For in this there is always the hope..as others allude..the carrot. No carrot, not a lot of point. If Melbourne still existed I would still follow them...but in a passing fashion.

Im a realist..lifes too short !!

Went to my first game in 1966 and have been an MFC member since 1967. It has been tough at times but, like many others, we have been able to last the journey up to now.

I will always retain hope that we will win a premiership and nobody can say there is 0% chance of that happening. This hope and a deep loyalty means that I will always support the MFC.

The only thing that will ever stop me from supporting this club is a merger or relocation. If this ever happens I will just become a neutral observer of the competition but could not support another club.

IMO supporters live for the dream / hope of a premiership and success.

If we know for a fact we can't win one, then why bother playing.....we would simply be a club making up the numbers, and I couldn't support that!