Our ruck remedy

sylvinator

We should thank our lucky stars!

Jeff White has give us 10 years of great service playing the number 1 ruck role. thank you Jeff.

And just as he is about to bow out....

pick 1 2008 national draft- Naitanui!

Carlton recruiter openly admitted that he would prefer Naitanui over Kruiser. Another suggested that he would jump all over Sandilands!

This guy is going to be the next big thing in footy. he is playing exciting football. i watched the National championships grand final and he is seriously something special.

pick 1 2008 pre-season draft- Robbie Warnock!

much publicised that this young gun is out of contract and wants to come back to melbourne. he is very young and very talented. he showed his class last year when he basically took the mantle as number 1 ruck (while sandilands was out of form) as a 20 yr old! is very tall and skillful also.

Our ruck division for 2009-2010.

Naitanui, Warnock, PJ (PJ playing key position and pinch hitting in the ruck perhaps).

we should consider ourselves lucky, bc it would suck if we wasted 5-6 draft choices +5-6 rookie draft choices trying out speculative ruckman after speculative ruckman before we finally found ourselves a decent one!

if this works out we will have saved ourselves a number of high draft picks, plus have a dominant ruck division in the afl

Jeff White has give us 10 years of great service playing the number 1 ruck role. thank you Jeff.

Carlton recruiter openly admitted that he would prefer Naitanui over Kruiser. Another suggested that he would jump all over Sandilands!

This guy is going to be the next big thing in footy. he is playing exciting football. i watched the National championships grand final and he is seriously something special.

much publicised that this young gun is out of contract and wants to come back to melbourne. he is very young and very talented. he showed his class last year when he basically took the mantle as number 1 ruck (while sandilands was out of form) as a 20 yr old! is very tall and skillful also.

Naitanui, Warnock, PJ (PJ playing key position and pinch hitting in the ruck perhaps).

we should consider ourselves lucky, bc it would suck if we wasted 5-6 draft choices +5-6 rookie draft choices trying out speculative ruckman after speculative ruckman before we finally found ourselves a decent one!

if this works out we will have saved ourselves a number of high draft picks, plus have a dominant ruck division in the afl

not sure about the best but it's starting to look much better if that very possible scenario eventuates.

i haven't seen much of naitanui or Rich, but we need key position players/ruckmen soo badly it is really hard to pass on a big bloke.

Andy Lovell's report of Jake Spencer (203cm) from last weekend's game was pretty promising as well.

Go Dees

General feel is Meese is not going to cut it at the club. PLenty said about the future, not much of it with Meese as a part of it, Would like to see what Meese is about before cutting ties.

PJ as 3rd ruckman? PJ has worked hard this year, and deserves better than that. That said, I still think PJ would make a good forward, so I suppose a 3rd ruckman provided he is a 1st tier forward would be ok.

Not seen Much of Naitanui, have heard plenty. A big ask for him to be 1st ruckman in his second year. From all those who have seen him, he seems capable of it.

I was pretty sure the dees would be a chance to aviod the spoon and #1 pick, given our performance it would not be silly to start making future predictions with Naitanui's name in the mix.

If you knew you were going to get Warnock in the pre-season draft I'd [censored] Nauitini or whatever off and go with a couple of other players in positions where you actually need them (so probably Rich and a key forward)

No use having White (for a year or 2), Paul Johnson, Meesen, Jamar, Warnock, Nauitinui (sp?) and Spencer all on the same list.

Besides, PJ is never going to be a key forward who can go into the ruck

*edit* chuck in Martin and Zomer as well - and before any argues Zomer is a full forward he thinks of himself as a ruckman

rather than speculating on who might be available when our draft options are too early to confirm i think we may have some talent already here

I see 5 names that might fit the ruckman role

Paul Johnson

Trent Zomer

Jake Spencer

Stefan Martin

John Meeson

Realise that ruckman take a lot longer to blossom

Too early to call

Meesen is 21 and he's been injured.

Give the bloke a break, tall blokes take longer. Which is why I have been rethinking my opinion about Garland.

I think it was 'Checker' Hughes who said for every inch over 6 feet you have to wait a year...

Getting back to the thread - Great plan for rejuvenating our rucks. It is also achievable in the sense that we are certainly in a position to get Warnock and Naitanui. Although I heard that Naitanui was used more as a utility in the Goodes sense, or even a 'Richo on the wing' dominate at both ends sense.

If that makes sense...

drawing a long bow on warnock, however I dare say we're in the box seat for naitanui...

but to be honest, a ruck combo of PJ and naitanui sounds pretty appealing to me... would be the most athletic ruck combo in the comp...

:blink: Aww mark jamar misses out :(

I didnt include Jamar as he has played over 50 games and i doubt he is AFL standard yet so time is running out for him

While we have White we have a great opputunity to blood some new guys

I actually like some of what Johnson does

the guy i am most interested in seeing play is Jack Grimes although he is not a ruckman

General feel is Meese is not going to cut it at the club. PLenty said about the future, not much of it with Meese as a part of it, Would like to see what Meese is about before cutting ties.

i seriously wonder why we gave up a pick for him then

a couple of observations from the west ...

naitanui was in the port power rooms after the win over the eagles. it was reported on radio that he was invited in & had a yack to david rodan (obviously the fijiian connection).

daniel rich is a gun but wasn't in best players on saturday. another w. a future, adam cockie, was (as was phil read!) also worth watching is yarran (chris, i think) at swan districts.

Guest MFC4Life

According to Inside Football Naitauni lined up against Robert Warnock in the WAFL last weekend and Naitauni ABSOLUTELY SMASHED him the entire game and was best on ground.

Agree vanlo, definitely drawing a long bow on Warnock. If he does even want to return to Melbourne, there's two possibilities here:

1) he's no good and Freo will let him walk in to the PSD, in which case he will just be fools gold

2) He's a good player and they will want compensation, in which case we'll have to fight, and give up something in return

I always have to wonder what goes through people's brains when they think we're going to get a gun player from another club for free. In the modern game it's extremely rare for that to happen.

Getting back to the thread - Great plan for rejuvenating our rucks. It is also achievable in the sense that we are certainly in a position to get Warnock and Naitanui. Although I heard that Naitanui was used more as a utility in the Goodes sense, or even a 'Richo on the wing' dominate at both ends sense.

If that makes sense...

Sure does, I actually think he may not be ruckman in the AFL.

If we were to get him I think he would be a chance for CHF. In future we have Meesen (don't write him off just cause he is injured) PJ, Martin, Spencer. All could be something.

Best to possibly make this naturally talented freak play one of the positions we have never filled.

Five weeks into his first season at the Club and Meesen's being written off :o

Bloke here's son is Michael Hurley who will probably go top 10 this year. He questions Natanui and thinks Recruiters are less anamored with him. Doesn't seem to be able to play anything but ruck and gets a bit lost.

Daniel Rich looks a surer bet but Natanui could be anything. It's like banking on Buddy Franklin and 4 clubs including Hawthorn passed on him with their first choices.

Agree vanlo, definitely drawing a long bow on Warnock. If he does even want to return to Melbourne, there's two possibilities here:

1) he's no good and Freo will let him walk in to the PSD, in which case he will just be fools gold

2) He's a good player and they will want compensation, in which case we'll have to fight, and give up something in return

I always have to wonder what goes through people's brains when they think we're going to get a gun player from another club for free. In the modern game it's extremely rare for that to happen.

Nash, if Warnock's contract does expires at the end of the year and he decised that he wants to come back to Victoria then there is absolutely nothing that the dockers can do to stop him from entering the psd.

Nash, if Warnock's contract does expires at the end of the year and he decised that he wants to come back to Victoria then there is absolutely nothing that the dockers can do to stop him from entering the psd.

true, but he probably won't want to leave freo high and dry and organise a trade to a melbourne based club... secondly, he mightn't want to even come to the MFC...

it's nice to think that we could get him for free, but will we? probably a 0.1% chance

it'd be like saying jon brown wants to come home, we'll get him in the pre-season draft... it's possible, but will it happen..? just ask big brother... I DON'T THINK SO!

firstly, Robbi Warnock is one of the most talented up-n-coming ruckman in the afl. He is young and huge and skilled.

Secondly, he is looking to go home to Victoria and if he went into the PSD nothing freo can do.

thirdly, he probably would want to come to melbourne. firstly because his brother plays for us, and secondly because at MFC he has the opportunity to be the number 1 ruckman for the next 10 years due to White retiring. No other club could you get such opportunity. atm he is playing some games for the ressies bc sandilands is playing really well. However there is noone stopping him at melbourne.

if i was a ruckman id want to play for the demons purely bc of opportunities

Correct. If you can assume he is not fussy where he goes. Just a what if...what if WCE or Port Adel were to come last or 2nd last and lets say there is another AFL equal or better grade player going to the psd?

Gouga, it wont work for Robert pushing his brother who is clearly not AFL standard to play together. The only time in the H&A games that could happen if both were playing for Sandy. That would be a bad outcome for MFC.