I've been saying this for a while...

praha

If you had been reading this site I have taken issue with the Board but that would not fit with your uninformed generalisation.

Have you actually done the hard yards on this?

Nah. Its easy to take broad brush swipes. Despite your woe is us attitude I dont think the Hawks, Bulldogs or the Saints are much further ahead than us. They do enjoy both community and membership numbers support (and have some time) but financially they are not sound.

If you think NM's supporter base is galvanised you would believe anything. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the floss.

I'm glad you can sleep at night on the basis we're better off than North Melbourne.

Garry Lyon and I both can't be wrong!

Woe is us Rhino.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be satisfied with the progress being made by the Gardner administration, but I expect more from my football club.

Gee ... we've got a new coach, three new assistant coaches, new recuiting manager, new Football Operations Manager, now a new CEO. We're working towards a new admin and training base at the new stadium, the delay of which is hardly our fault as we were one of the first to commit. Hardly slow change!

There is the tardy problem of a summer training base, which could be fixed by developing Casey fields. But I'm trying to work exactly what else recently the board could look at doing, and how much more you'd expect. They're not the ones who roll up their sleeves and do all the work on the ground.

Just because Caroline Wilson suddenly spouts on one footy show about us being basket cases and the biggest worry for the AFL doesn't mean we're about to go bankrupt.

Maurie, are we the same basket case that is goingto finish 5th in CAro's estimation?

We need help from former players who can drive the elusive corporate support essential to the bottomline.

How is writing negative articles about Melbourne going to do that Gary?

If you think we're in trouble, come in and help, instead of publicly sinking the boot in. Yes he is a journalist, but I thought he was a Melbourne man first.

And where were you last night when PG was staring you in the face? Why didn't you speak up then?

Agree Jaded, that comment about former players is spot on, the board can only do so much, if some high profiled past players started to assist in the promotion of the club and if they can drive the corporate support as well what a bonus. Hopefully that catch up at a bar the Greg Healey mentioned in an article a few weeks ago is the start of this.

Gee ... we've got a new coach, three new assistant coaches, new recuiting manager, new Football Operations Manager, now a new CEO. We're working towards a new admin and training base at the new stadium, the delay of which is hardly our fault as we were one of the first to commit. Hardly slow change!

There is the tardy problem of a summer training base, which could be fixed by developing Casey fields. But I'm trying to work exactly what else recently the board could look at doing, and how much more you'd expect. They're not the ones who roll up their sleeves and do all the work on the ground.

Just because Caroline Wilson suddenly spouts on one footy show about us being basket cases and the biggest worry for the AFL doesn't mean we're about to go bankrupt.

You have to wonder Maurie.

I'm glad you can sleep at night on the basis we're better off than North Melbourne.

Garry Lyon and I both can't be wrong!

We are not better off than NM and haven't been for a while.

Unfortunately you both are wrong!

Why does Garry Lyon state that we need to be independent of the AFL? If you check the other thread you will find that not one club could survive if it were independent of it. He should know better.

But you enjoy your read of the HS. Riveting stuff that.

Why does Garry Lyon state that we need to be independent of the AFL? If you check the other thread you will find that not one club could survive if it were independent of it. He should know better.

I'm with the fox. What issues has he addressed that have not been addressed in 25 years. Gardner has been talking out of his backside the whole time he's been in power. It's called spin he gets paid very well as a marketing guru to create as much spin has he can. Melbourne were the second best victorian team, or melbourne finished in the top 8 3 years in a row, etc etc. So what, have we got any money, our finances are so bad that auditors were concerned that we may not be in existence in the distant future. That is Gardner's domain, off field performance, do something about it.

If I may talk on behalf of the fox, what we want is the truth, and I think this year we are seeing more honesty in the football department, no longer are we hearing Neale Daniher saying the boys are upset and we're going to make the finals, or win the premiership. Bailey and Connolly are not spruiking the team up, they are being realistic, something the board should consider.

Maurie everyone has moved on apart from Gardner, he must have been the reason why we finished 14th instead of 16th.

Also, I have been a critic of Gardners for a long long time, this has not just come out because Caro asked him questions us Melbourne supporters should be asking.

Once again you dance around the issue.

I appreciate the fact that clubs rely on AFL support, but we must look at this in relative terms. The fact we are struggling along with everybody else should be no comfort to you. We are struggling on more levels than any other Melbourne based club.

We are entering the 150th year of existence yet there is little cause for celebration. Our fearless marketing guru chairman has done nothing to promote the Melbourne brand. This is why our members are small in number and our supporter base is unwilling to commit.

Gardner is good at masking the real issues, nothing more. The club clearly suffers from a lack of leadership and stability at board level.

A once proud club is still licking old wounds.

Rhino you need to stop making excuses for the club and accepting mediocrity, as much as this sits well with you.

Ime really glad to have read that article today. Yes i have heard those comments written on here before but to see them out in the Mainstream was great. Things just might Roll. I have a feeling now that Connolly is back Past players will return.

For those of you not aware Chris Connolly was a very populiar figure within the wall of the club. If he hadn't injured the knee the captaincy was his. Ime stoked he has come home, which is why i think Garry wrote the Article.

We can only go up. Everybody on this site must be a member for starters

Garry can command attention...there's no doubt. that in itself does nothing. If he wants to command ( or aid it ) the destiny of Melbourne...he can stick his mitt up next elections. I for one hope he does...otherwise anything he says..does is essentially impotent. just reality !!

Guest fatty

Time and again I?m amazed at the way supporters in general get sucked into the crap that is spewed forth from the media. These blokes need material, no matter how skint, to justify their existence. I?m sure Caroline Wilson lies in bed and thinks about who she can ?address? next. She couldn?t possibly be up to anything else. Getting past players to write ?opinion? pieces is a trumped-up attempt to add more substance but they just put forward the same garbage.

There?s a multitude of issues (MCC members, training facilities, etc.) but the MFC has a fundamental problem in that it has had 2 generations of no premiership success. Our supporters are no more fickle than those of other clubs. The President and the Board have worked hard to set up a stable infrastructure, but no matter how much work they do they still need a period of sustained success as a catalyst. It doesn?t help that the AFL puts us on drip-feed, denies us exposure and then targets us as a basket-case.

Others on here have discussed and analysed this at length.

I don?t mind the moaning here because it provides a platform for supporter concerns. But a win on Sunday will no doubt change the subject matter of the media and the negativity that?s continually directed at us. Meanwhile the board will continue to work on its agenda away from the expert analysis of former champions and rodent reporters.

If we lose, feel free to continue moaning.

Once again you dance around the issue.

Oh reallly! :lol:

I appreciate the fact that clubs rely on AFL support, but we must look at this in relative terms. The fact we are struggling along with everybody else should be no comfort to you. We are struggling on more levels than any other Melbourne based club.

Derrrr! Garry Lyon says we should be seeking financial independence from the AFL. Thanks Garry. But as the figures I put on anoher thread suggest no Victorian Club. Its blind Freddy stuff where our struggles are and understand the relativities. They are not easy fixes.

We are entering the 150th year of existence yet there is little cause for celebration. Our fearless marketing guru chairman has done nothing to promote the Melbourne brand.

Its ironic that PG is getting hammered on this site for being so positive when things have been tough. Lets not forget that in the past six months MFC have overseen the replacement of the Football coach and coaching staff and also the CEO. What would you like a song and dance act?

This is why our members are small in number and our supporter base is unwilling to commit.

What a load of self serving crap. Only evidencing how little you are attuned to the facts.

Gardner is good at masking the real issues, nothing more. The club clearly suffers from a lack of leadership and stability at board level.

Given the rubbish we have had with Szondy and Gutnick, Gardner has indeed provided a level of leadership and has made some progress in most of the key areas. The Board has indeed been rather stable and united relative to the Szondy/ Gutnick fiasco

Rhino you need to stop making excuses for the club and accepting mediocrity, as much as this sits well with you.

I just deal in the facts and realise where things are at. In all your hyperbole, I have yet to see you post constructive substantive solutions to old wounds you decry. I forget you get you kicks out of the HS. I guess we cant expect too much can we?

Oh reallly! :lol:

Derrrr! Garry Lyon says we should be seeking financial independence from the AFL. Thanks Garry. But as the figures I put on anoher thread suggest no Victorian Club. Its blind Freddy stuff where our struggles are and understand the relativities. They are not easy fixes.

Its ironic that PG is getting hammered on this site for being so positive when things have been tough. Lets not forget that in the past six months MFC have overseen the replacement of the Football coach and coaching staff and also the CEO. What would you like a song and dance act?

What a load of self serving crap. Only evidencing how little you are attuned to the facts.

Given the rubbish we have had with Szondy and Gutnick, Gardner has indeed provided a level of leadership and has made some progress in most of the key areas. The Board has indeed been rather stable and united relative to the Szondy/ Gutnick fiasco

I just deal in the facts and realise where things are at. In all your hyperbole, I have yet to see you post constructive substantive solutions to old wounds you decry. I forget you get you kicks out of the HS. I guess we cant expect too much can we?

Are you grooming yourself for the Melbourne board? Don't hold your breath...

Rhino I agree we must get our kicks from different places, you obviously get yours from lavish works of fiction. I understand you require more intellectual stimulation from your news source. I prefer to value an article on it's merits.

I hate to break it to you, but.... Garry Lyon's article on in the Herald Sun gets more exposure than your heart felt rants on this website. And he understand the club on a level which is clearly beyond you.

At the end of the day, the solutions you provide mean nothing but self gratification. So stick keep moving in circles and offering excuses.. maybe after another 4,000 posts you will get closer to the truth.

I'm not here to provide solutions. My point is simple... Paul Gardner is not the best man for the job. Your message is obviously too complex for us Herald Sun readers.

Yet I get the feeling you are confusing yourself along the way. :unsure:

Are you grooming yourself for the Melbourne board? Don't hold your breath...

Rhino I agree we must get our kicks from different places, you obviously get yours from lavish works of fiction. I understand you require more intellectual stimulation from your news source. I prefer to value an article on it's merits.

I hate to break it to you, but.... Garry Lyon's article on in the Herald Sun gets more exposure than your heart felt rants on this website. And he understand the club on a level which is clearly beyond you.

At the end of the day, the solutions you provide mean nothing but self gratification. So stick keep moving in circles and offering excuses.. maybe after another 4,000 posts you will get closer to the truth.

I'm not here to provide solutions. My point is simple... Paul Gardner is not the best man for the job. Your message is obviously too complex for us Herald Sun readers.

Yet I get the feeling you are confusing yourself along the way. :unsure:

Love your work Grand Old Fox.

Garry Lyon is just exposing the malaise, which is the Melbourne Football Club. What was gained last year by lying about our true profit projections? Be honest with your members and supporters, and they will rally to the cause.

Let's hope that Paul McNamee can change this mentality of secrecy, because Paul Gardner hasn't.

Love your work Grand Old Fox.

Garry Lyon is just exposing the malaise, which is the Melbourne Football Club. What was gained last year by lying about our true profit projections? Be honest with your members and supporters, and they will rally to the cause.

Let's hope that Paul McNamee can change this mentality of secrecy, because Paul Gardner hasn't.

Here here, the issue is Gardner is not a good president and has achieved very little in his time. Not how much funding we get, or how poor/great our players are.

Woop de do. His article does not shed any great light on the issue (but may be for you). They are issues which the Board has been aware of and has had to confront for some time. Does Lyon have any greater knoweledge than the Board about these issues? How would you know?

I thought as much. PG might not be the best option but give me a better and available option?? Seemingly the message is! :)

Im not absolutely clear on what some folk want !!

At good ol' Melbourne we've been in "Crisis" - been falling apart at the seams etc ( well if you believe the press etc ) but undeniably we've had a fair share of difficulties that in some past years would have had blood spilt at the junction oval amid coups and embattlements.

We've had the handling of the removal of one coach..the appointment of another; the removal of one CEO and the appontment of another...all of this done without blood or animosity ( well none shown.. and that in itself is an accomplishment ) Folks...all that takes a bit of craft !! I applaud PG for all that. credit where credit's due !!

Perhaps I have got it all wrong.

Its so easy to be a President...so I am telling you now my vision....

I will become president... the Bubble Dome will be completed within a week of my ascendancy, faith healers will cure all list problems, I will tell DB & CC exactly how to do their jobs and the admin department will positively resemble a love-fest.

On the sole basis of my most excellent work and recommendations to the football department we will win the premiership for the next successive four years.

Microsoft & Berkshire Hathaway will be begging to sponsor us.

Memberships will break the 100,000 mark

Really, thats all there is to it!

Presidency is a breeze.

Why hell almost anyone could do it!

Im not absolutely clear on what some folk want !!

At good ol' Melbourne we've been in "Crisis" - been falling apart at the seams etc ( well if you believe the press etc ) but undeniably we've had a fair share of difficulties that in some past years would have had blood spilt at the junction oval amid coups and embattlements.

We've had the handling of the removal of one coach..the appointment of another; the removal of one CEO and the appontment of another...all of this done without blood or animosity ( well none shown.. and that in itself is an accomplishment ) Folks...all that takes a bit of craft !! I applaud PG for all that. credit where credit's due !!

How can you applaud and give credit to the removal of a CEO who was reappointed 12 months prior?

How can you applaud and give credit to the removal of a CEO who was reappointed 12 months prior?

Easy.......if you care to look beyond the simplistic .

Not everything in life works according to predetermined plans and expectations. I think its a fair appreciation ( from external vantage point ) that somewhere , at some point a change of heart, clash , failure ...WHATEVER occured..What was.. suddenly wasn't. Now when such things occur.. you have choices.. You can do nothing.... or you can do SOMETHING.

Im going to suggest that an impasse of sorts had been arrived at..and that something indeed needed to happen. For the betterment of the club going forward it was obviously decided ( in some sort of mutual fashion...no obvious knives ) that Harris would move on and the MFC seek a new Helmsman .

Now lets look at how this was handled...There were no nasty headlines.. with one party calling names of the other.. NO.. it al lhappened in a civil fashion.. That deserves applause !!

Now some will immediately retort with ..why was he reappointed in first place ? I can only imagine that at that time he ( Harris ) was a fair choice by concensus...but something changed !! Now this is the sign of a realistic and competent management of a situation. What was..now ..wasn't.. and so the status quo now lopsided in some fashion needed addressing. s they say...sometimes sh!t happens...and when it does you need to do something about it. Do you sit around and sulk over what went wrong.. or bad.. or this or that.. do yo run around like headless chooks.. or do you adopt a concerted and steady approach and get the job done ? You get the job done !! The JOB was DONE !!

Do enlighten me Mo64 how else ought it have been handled ??? Don tsecond guess about why harris and MFC needed to part ways.. just that they did..and if so ..how else migh [censored] have been done ??

For mine it was done very well.. everyone was pretty much told ( as prudent as required ) what was going on. We were told roughly the schedule of the process to appoint new. The process was known.. ..and it happened.

So remind me agian....what exactly is wrong in all this ??

Easy.......if you care to look beyond the simplistic .

Not everything in life works according to predetermined plans and expectations. I think its a fair appreciation ( from external vantage point ) that somewhere , at some point a change of heart, clash , failure ...WHATEVER occured..What was.. suddenly wasn't. Now when such things occur.. you have choices.. You can do nothing.... or you can do SOMETHING.

Im going to suggest that an impasse of sorts had been arrived at..and that something indeed needed to happen. For the betterment of the club going forward it was obviously decided ( in some sort of mutual fashion...no obvious knives ) that Harris would move on and the MFC seek a new Helmsman .

Now lets look at how this was handled...There were no nasty headlines.. with one party calling names of the other.. NO.. it al lhappened in a civil fashion.. That deserves applause !!

Now some will immediately retort with ..why was he reappointed in first place ? I can only imagine that at that time he ( Harris ) was a fair choice by concensus...but something changed !! Now this is the sign of a realistic and competent management of a situation. What was..now ..wasn't.. and so the status quo now lopsided in some fashion needed addressing. s they say...sometimes sh!t happens...and when it does you need to do something about it. Do you sit around and sulk over what went wrong.. or bad.. or this or that.. do yo run around like headless chooks.. or do you adopt a concerted and steady approach and get the job done ? You get the job done !! The JOB was DONE !!

Do enlighten me Mo64 how else ought it have been handled ??? Don tsecond guess about why harris and MFC needed to part ways.. just that they did..and if so ..how else migh [censored] have been done ??

For mine it was done very well.. everyone was pretty much told ( as prudent as required ) what was going on. We were told roughly the schedule of the process to appoint new. The process was known.. ..and it happened.

So remind me agian....what exactly is wrong in all this ??

The damage has been done. The massive turnover in football department staff has had an immeasurable impact. Gardner should not be applauded for running a broom through the place, this should have happened at the beginning of his tenure, not down the track.

Harris has clearly derailed our progress to an extent, and someone should be made accountable for his reappointment.

It's not good enough to expect we'll get it right eventually, or that Gardner has learnt from his mistakes.

Now some will immediately retort with ..why was he reappointed in first place ? I can only imagine that at that time he ( Harris ) was a fair choice by concensus...but something changed !! Now this is the sign of a realistic and competent management of a situation. What was..now ..wasn't.. and so the status quo now lopsided in some fashion needed addressing. s they say...sometimes sh!t happens...

Business isn't about "sh!t happens".

For the past 3 months, in what is supposed to be a year of celebration and renewed enthusiasm, we've had a lame duck CEO, whilst searching for a new one. Where has our marketing and promotions been? The result of this has meant that our % of memberships compared to last season is the worst in the AFL. A poor on-field start to the season and our finance projections are up the "sh!t" again.

If "sh!t" does happen in business, then those responsible need to be held accountable. Not applauded.

GOF... how do YOU know how long things took to get to a point of 'breakdown" If you have insdie info..please illuminate.

It only takes the slightest differing in direction ( objectives ) and eventually a rift occurs.. It wouldnt have been obiosu to anyone ..until th epaths become distinclty different. Its very easy to judge in hindsight isn it ... P!ss easy !! As an "IDEAL" yes, it migh thave been better if some things never happened. But "thigs' often have a hbit of indeed happening.. Its what you do when they occur that separates some from others.

I dont think particularly PG is any golden child..I have some issues with a few things about the MFC. What I suggested was that give credit where its due.

The wolves of the 4th estate would have been circling the MFC they must have salivated at the prospect of blood.. and some nice juicy stories to go.. with even Juicier headlines to boot !! Try as they did ( the media) no such haemoraging happened. We awake today with , I think somethig of a coup , having appointed Paul Mac to the helm. The ship sails on.. it hit no rocks. Are there blue sky days ahead.. well; maybe some but I concede there are some big waves and swells to contend with.

I sense agreement that most likely Steve had to go ?? Might it been more appropriate at some early juncture.. maybe.. But who knows what constraints existed about this ? Maybe it wasnt quite so simple as to suggest ... 'mate..thers a door over there with your name on it !!" Little things like contracts etc.. maybe this WAS the earliest a split could be effected.

So its not good enough to learn from mistakes ?? lol.. what rot !! Who doesn take mistakes.?? You try to make as few as possible and you attempt to remedy those that happen or institute procedures to minimise future occurences!!

If "sh!t" does happen in business, then those responsible need to be held accountable. Not applauded.

well done ...finally twigged huh !! yes apparently the person responsible was held accountable. He's not there now !!

Sh!t happens everywhere.. To think it doesnt happen inbusiness is either ignorance or naievety. I suspect your neither.

So I take it you DONT think the appointment ( process and result ) of the new CEO is commendable ?

well done ...finally twigged huh !! yes apparently the person responsible was held accountable. He's not there now !!

Sh!t happens everywhere.. To think it doesnt happen inbusiness is either ignorance or naievety. I suspect your neither.

So I take it you DONT think the appointment ( process and result ) of the new CEO is commendable ?

The process, result and appointment will be determined down the track. How can you say we've got it right, when McNamee isnt even in the hot seat yet. What we can say is that Harris was a poor selection, simply by looking at our financial position and the high staff turnover whilst he was in command.

In my opinion I would have preferred a CEO with a CFO background, someone who is good with the numbers, rather than McNamee but I'll wait to see. If McNamee can turn the club around he will be appluaded. However most of you will appluad either way, as long as the correct amount of spin doctoring has been applied by our great chairman.