Who is set to return?

JACKATTACK

The selected team was puzzling, 4 ruckmen (White, Jamar, P Johnson, Meesen) and a whole swag of talls (Holland, Martin, Warnock, Zomer etc etc).

The team balance was all wrong, and we were always going to get slaughtered out of the midfield...

Correct DemonDave. I pointed this out when I saw the selected squads. And because our so side was so unbalanced, the game didn't teach the players or the supporters anything. And I happily took the $1.80 on offer for the Cats to win by more than 15 points. It paid for my membership twice over.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct DemonDave. I pointed this out when I saw the selected squads. And because our so side was so unbalanced, the game didn't teach the players or the supporters anything. And I happily took the $1.80 on offer for the Cats to win by more than 15 points. It paid for my membership twice over.

Betting against the dees?!?! In hindsight a good move, perhaps you should buy two memberships?

Betting against the dees?!?! In hindsight a good move, perhaps you should buy two memberships?

It's makes sense to bet on things that you know about. If I was smart enough to only bet on games involving Melbourne, Manchester City and Melb Victory, I'd be a rich man. As for buying two memberships, the heartache of seeing us lose negates the financial gain. B)

Why would you be resting a developing, young guy like Frawley? Surely he has to play every senior game possible this pre-season to further his development. I can't buy any excuse about him not playing other than he's injured.

Frawley was injured - a foot/ankle sprain which blew up a bit. Should not keep him out of action long.

Miller had a hamstring twinge - rested on Saturday as a precaution

I wonder if Sandy have a practice game this weekend, they could have a stronger team than the Melbourne team that goes to Cairns. I wouldn't expect any of those players to make the trip, some though will line up at Sandy if playing.

Fact is that most of the above including Mo64's opinion is nothing more than speculation and not the official word from the club. I'd be interested to hear something from someone but apparently even the training sessions this week are all closed sessions so it won't be easy finding anything out.

The good news is that we registered no new injuries this week while a brief round up of headlines reveals the following at other clubs (and I take no joy from the misfortune of others):-

* Hasleby (Fremantle) out for season

* Chaplin (Port Adelaide) to miss rest of preseason

* Carlton loses Fisher for 6-8 weeks

* Swans confirm Malceski needs reconstruction

* Ray (Bulldogs) out 426

* Gumbleton (Essendon) to miss a month

Perhaps the wheel's turning and our injury woes are coming to an end while it's just starting for some of the others?

Fact is that most of the above including Mo64's opinion is nothing more than speculation and not the official word from the club. I'd be interested to hear something from someone but apparently even the training sessions this week are all closed sessions so it won't be easy finding anything out.

The reason why we have to speculate is because their is no credible official word from the club.

DB stated on SEN prior to the game that only Bruce and McLean would definitely be missing. I took that to mean that everyone who was fit to play (Carroll excluded) would play. That means that we had 16 unfit players from our list for Saturday's game.

I'll continue to speculate because the club has always tried to hide the extent of our player's injuries.

We probably dont know the real facts just where the players are at. However your worst prognosis would not be a good outcome for the start of the season.

On another point, are you saying the injuries to the player are a result of the conditioning program of BB? Is that why you would sack him?

Its possible but I would not thought they would do it so early in the season.

I think the big issue is the fluff that appears the Hun, The Age and the website at this time of year.

Rhino, I probably didn't make myself clear enough with all my innuendos - I don't buy that there are injuries to begin with.

Let me state it clear -

The Demons are foxing right now, because they are going a hell of a lot better than they are letting on. There's no bad prognosis from me, it's all good

Why fox so early in the season? Because they are not hiding injuries so much, as hiding the fact we don't really have many, and are most likely flying.

The mistake that we made last pre-season if you remember was to tell the entire AFL community that we were flying, and basically put a sign on our heads saying come get us.

It has been said twice now by the club that we plan to fly under the radar this year, and that is precisely what we are doing - Relax, wait and see

As for BB, there wasn't a part of me suggesting that we should sack him at all, just implying that if the physical state of the list was as grim as Mo's post indicated(which it isn't) Then we should sack him. So do you get what I am saying here? I'm effectively saying that BB and Co are doing a better job than what meets the eye.

Let me state it clear -

The Demons are foxing right now, because they are going a hell of a lot better than they are letting on. There's no bad prognosis from me, it's all good

How would you know what the Club is actually doing and what the situation is at the Club re injuries? I dont see the need to repeat comments that are nothing more than speculation on your behalf in absence of the facts.

FWIW, last year we had a number of players who had disjointed and interrupted pre seasons. I dont recall the Club making any big comments about its preparedness last year.

And my point on BB is that the state of injuries on the list may have little to do with BB's functions at the Club so I dont see the connection even if the list is dire. If there is serious issues or failings with BB or any other official then sack them. But many of our injury woes pre date BB and have occurred in the line of battle on the field not from the programs put in place by BB in conjunction with medical staff and the football department.

There's no bad prognosis from me, it's all good

Demoncoast, my prognosis (I'm an internet messageboard physician) has stated that the following players won't play in the seniors in round 1. Some may play for Sandy in order to get some match fitness:

Rivers

Bruce

Petterd

Dunn

Bartram

Wheatley

Grimes

Whelan

C. Johnson

Moloney ?

That's 25% of our senior list, which is a bad prognosis IMO. Come round 1, let's see who's closer to mark.

Having so many players with niggles is not the best leading into the season. But please note the team is taking the concervative line with players and injuries.

The team on the weekend was based on which players were the fittest, trained the hardest and got the most K's into the legs.

It doesnt mean those that didnt play are nessecarily injured (of course it doesnt mean that they are not either) rather they are not at peek fitness (eg Davey).

DB appears to be taking the long term approach and played the fittest team rather than the best team. This might have something to do with us not getting any new injuries our of the game.

The team on the weekend was based on which players were the fittest, trained the hardest and got the most K's into the legs.

DB appears to be taking the long term approach and played the fittest team rather than the best team. This might have something to do with us not getting any new injuries our of the game.

Agree with you on the approach implemented. Your last sentence does not hold. As many times last year we played our fittest rather than our best side and injuries kept coming. :unsure:

And my point on BB is that the state of injuries on the list may have little to do with BB's functions at the Club so I dont see the connection even if the list is dire. If there is serious issues or failings with BB or any other official then sack them. But many of our injury woes pre date BB and have occurred in the line of battle on the field not from the programs put in place by BB in conjunction with medical staff and the football department.

I understand that without the facts and no real knowledge in the area it is a little hard for those on an internet forum to make a judgement. But the heat would surly be on him to have the players in better condition for the rigours of a full AFL season. You will always have a few players out, this is a contact sport but our injury list is not sustainable.

How would you know what the Club is actually doing and what the situation is at the Club re injuries? I dont see the need to repeat comments that are nothing more than speculation on your behalf in absence of the facts.

FWIW, last year we had a number of players who had disjointed and interrupted pre seasons. I dont recall the Club making any big comments about its preparedness last year.

Let's just say I know, and I'll leave it with you to figure out why/ how that is the case.

The connection made with BB is not literal, no need to get YKIAK

Yes they did pump up our state of conditioning last pre-season.

Let's just say I know, and I'll leave it with you to figure out why/ how that is the case.

Yeh I read that alot on this site and its rarely validated. Good luck.

I understand that without the facts and no real knowledge in the area it is a little hard for those on an internet forum to make a judgement. But the heat would surly be on him to have the players in better condition for the rigours of a full AFL season. You will always have a few players out, this is a contact sport but our injury list is not sustainable.

Is the conditioning a fault here?

Yes this is a contact sport but what has caused those injuries? Most of last years injuries were in the heat of battle. We have a number of injuries that are long term (Moloney, Bartram, Whelan and Rivers).

If the issue is conditioning then hold BB accountable. If its not established through an understanding of the cause of the injuries and length of period of rehab then you are undertaking a witch hunt which achieves nothing at all.

Agree with you on the approach implemented. Your last sentence does not hold. As many times last year we played our fittest rather than our best side and injuries kept coming. :unsure:

I disagree, last year we carried many of our so-called 'best 22' when they were clearly carrying injuries. Robertson, Davey, Neitz, Yze, Moloney just to name a few.

We had many fit young enthusiastic kids that couldnt get a look in because of this.

This is what killed us last year, while the side looked OK on paper, the players werent able to give 100%

Well maybe it's time for you to start validating it, cos you need to

Send me a personal message and I'll explain it to you

I am not the one making the continual claims. Your call. Cheers.

I disagree, last year we carried many of our so-called 'best 22' when they were clearly carrying injuries. Robertson, Davey, Neitz, Yze, Moloney just to name a few.

We had a cavalcade of players who were best 22 who did not play much last year. Both Moloney and Yze had injuries and never returned and weren't risk.

Its an extent of the injuries that mounted over the course of the year that players like Neitz, Robbo and Davey were persisted with.

FWIW, I would not have persisted with Davey through the year.

For the positions Robbo and Neitz played we did not have one capable player to bring in that would have done better than either of them 70% to 80% fit.

By the seasons end we had barely a side to pick of capable players to pick and had no choice but to play them.

We had many fit young enthusiastic kids that couldnt get a look in because of this.

This is what killed us last year, while the side looked OK on paper, the players werent able to give 100%

Bollocks.

The fact is we did not. None of the youngsters who were available were playing decent football to justify a promotion. And there werent that many fit either!

The team looked crap on paper from about Round 2 onwards. We could not get our best team on the track and our depth (many of which are gone now) was ordinary.

For the positions Robbo and Neitz played we did not have one capable player to bring in that would have done better than either of them 70% to 80% fit.

First name Clint, second name Bizzell.

Watching Robbo clutch his knee and hobble around after almost every contest late in the season was one of the most frustrating things I've seen on a footy field. He was next to useless. We weren't in the hunt, why persist?

The connection made with BB is not literal, no need to get YKIAK

Yes they did pump up our state of conditioning last pre-season

I can't figure out how you know, but I sure hope that you are right :unsure:

First name Clint, second name Bizzell.

Watching Robbo clutch his knee and hobble around after almost every contest late in the season was one of the most frustrating things I've seen on a footy field. He was next to useless. We weren't in the hunt, why persist?

Clint Bizzell was already selected and barely holding down a back flank position. So he was already in. And he has shown little capacity up forward whenever thrown there while at MFC. He was hardly a replacement but I agree I did not see the sense in playing Robbo.

Actually it does hold and I used Davey as example. On the weekend he was not injured and clearly in our "best" 22 for the Geelong match. However he was emergency rather then in the starting line up due to his fitness levels. If that was a home and away match last year he would have been playing without a doubt.

Yeh I read that alot on this site and its rarely validated. Good luck.

Is the conditioning a fault here?

Yes this is a contact sport but what has caused those injuries? Most of last years injuries were in the heat of battle. We have a number of injuries that are long term (Moloney, Bartram, Whelan and Rivers).

If the issue is conditioning then hold BB accountable. If its not established through an understanding of the cause of the injuries and length of period of rehab then you are undertaking a witch hunt which achieves nothing at all.

You might say im conducting a witch hunt and I might say your sticking your head in the sand.

But I think we would both agree that weather arguing for or against him none of us on here would actually know enough to put a factual case either way.

All im saying is that as our strength and conditioning coach, with an injury list like ours, it shouldnt surprise anyone that people would be asking hows he going. None of that actually says it is actually his fault.