NAB Cup R1 Backline

old55

With Carroll, Rivers, Wheatley, Whelan, Petterd and Bartram all possibly missing (and Ward, Brown, Bizzell and Ferguson gone from the list) the back 6 for NAB Cup R1 will be interesting.

That leaves Bell as the only certain starter from a best back 6. Add Frawley from the new and Holland from the old. There's at least 3 place up for grabs ...

I've always thought Bate would be worth a try at full back and could solve a few problems down there.

With Carroll, Rivers, Wheatley, Whelan, Petterd and Bartram all possibly missing (and Ward, Brown, Bizzell and Ferguson gone from the list) the back 6 for NAB Cup R1 will be interesting.

That leaves Bell as the only certain starter from a best back 6. Add Frawley from the new and Holland from the old. There's at least 3 place up for grabs ...

I've always thought Bate would be worth a try at full back and could solve a few problems down there.

Miller played defense in praccy match so guessing he'll slot in. Frawley and Bell will play all year in the defense. Garland appaz has been good this preseason, as has Morton...

Bell Frawley Miller

Morton Garland Green????

[quote name='paddo'

"Miller must play forward."

Exactly what I think, Paddo!

History would suggest the only way he CAN play forward IS standing on the backline !!! :lol::lol::lol:

but seriously..Im intrigued to see what he can do down there. Bailey seems to think he has something.. time will tell.

Miller is in his seventh season at the club and has had ample opportunity to show what he's capable of as a forward. Occasionally he's very good but more often he puts in a "stinker" and at this stage I'd offer that it's hoping for too much for him to suddenly become the answer at CHF. With the right discipline and mindset he could succeed down back, let's hope he does.

its 2008.. I have had my concerns and reervation about more than a handful of players over the years. Some of these have departed recently. They no longer enter the frame..they are of no concern in this context any longer.

Some remain. Im prepared to wipe the slate clean for now. What has gone before is just that, history. We are in the here and now looking forward. A fresh footy dept with invigorated charges and some reborn players.

Some have openly suggested that they will play anew. Some want to address their critics on the field. I think its good. Hope it happens...for them as much as we supporters.

Ive never really cared who wears the jumpers as long as they do it proud. I still dont care.

However if some certain folk start " reminiscing" and returning to ways of old then quite posibly some of the same criticisms will be dusted off and slung mercilesly.

But again..its a new year.. A NEW HOPE..... i feel a disturbance in the force !! :)

If Miller was not the first choice of DB (apparently Miller's great saviour) up forward when there does not appear to any clear stand out at this point for CHF, his position at FB may only be as a consequence of Carroll's fall from grace.

Miller is going to have to earn his stripes where ever he can scratch a game, leadership group or not.

Miller is going to have to earn his stripes where ever he can scratch a game, leadership group or not.

Bailey see's something, Paul Roo's something...lets sit back and hopefully get to see what they see.

What does Paul Roos have to do with it?

DB has talking about Miller being a stopgap FB rather than CHF. I think that says enough of what DB is seeing. :blink:

Bailey see's something, Paul Roo's something...lets sit back and hopefully get to see what they see.

mo64 sees something in Miller. That doesn't mean that it's complimentary!!!!

What does Paul Roos have to do with it?

DB has talking about Miller being a stopgap FB rather than CHF. I think that says enough of what DB is seeing. :blink:

It mean to read Paul Roos saw something [sentance makes sense that way] ...Roos went in for Miller in the off-season, must think there's something there.

As for the value of Paul Roos's opinion, he is a premiership winning coach...last man we had who could say that was called Norm.

As for Miller at FB...well he kicks like a backman

It mean to read Paul Roos saw something [sentance makes sense that way] ...Roos went in for Miller in the off-season, must think there's something there.

As for the value of Paul Roos's opinion, he is a premiership winning coach...last man we had who could say that was called Norm.

As for Miller at FB...well he kicks like a backman

What was Roos willing to give up to get Miller? Fourth or Fifth round pick?

His opinion could not have been that high to make a reasonable offer for him that the Club would have accepted.

Sure does...just didnt think he was that generous :rolleyes:

OVER THE MOON :lol:

Just checked Brad Miller's player profile on the MFC website

2001 National Draft 4th Round Selection...OK Big deal, "so what" I hear you say...but wait, there's more:

Traded by Geelong for Brent Grgic

Frosty...all is forgiven, wherever you play, however you play, wherever you go, thank you very much!

What was Roos willing to give up to get Miller? Fourth or Fifth round pick?

His opinion could not have been that high to make a reasonable offer for him that the Club would have accepted.

Roos has given up a 1st round pick for Ted Richards and a 3rd round for Henry Playfair. If Miller's worth a Swans 4th or 5th rounder, he aint held in high esteem.

Miller was not a straight trade for Grgic. The deal was part of the deal that got Bizzell to MFC and the draft pick that landed James Kelly to Geelong. One part would not have occurred without the other side of the deal.

Oh god.... Not this again....

It just keeps rearing its ugly head... Even the he who will not be named talk has died down over the years... But this just pops up over and over...

DB wanted a 1st round pick for Miller. Swans wouldn't buy it unfortunately.

Now back to the back line:

Who do you put on Hawkins as he is most likely to be at FF rotating with Mad Mooney at CHF.

I would chuck Martin in the deep end. He's the only one who can match him for size (Hawkins is 197cm).

Fortunately Carroll wont be available for him to kick a bag on again.

Frawley is also an option and Holland as last resort.