• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Canberra: Training (6/2/08) and Practice Match (8/2/08)

Deeoldfart

Just got back from the 'Practice' Match.

I'm no good at reports but happy to answer any questions you may have.

Here are a few points of interest however;

-Adem Yze went off with an eye injury after 1 minute - Did not Return

-Juice took a screamer over Brad Miller

-There was nothing 'soft' about the game. Hard hitting an tackling. No sympathy shown between teams

-Issac Weetra was BOG by a mile (looks the goods)

-Bate and Davey were taken off early each Quarter (although they didn't want to and played at 100%)

-Neitz, McClean, Johnson (chris), Dunn, Wheatley, Whelan, Bartram, Grimes, and Rivers all did not play

-Jmac,Bruce and Maric were not there

-Bailey was on the field and on occasion stopped play to set up specific scenarios he wanted played (e.g. kick in or ball ups 50 out etc)

- One side wore the season proper guernsey, while the other team started with light blue tops but switched to the new, silver alternate strip at half time.

Thanks for that Timmy .... great stuff!! I was also at the 'scratch match' and my two bobs worth follows.

The match comprised four 15 min. quarters, and each team had only 15 players. The two teams were:

MFC Jumper

Morton

Green

PJ

Dutchy

Moloney

Valenti

White

Weetra

Zomer

Ossie

Miller

Frawley

Bell

Carroll

Bate

Clash Jumper

Martin

Cheney

Warnock

Bode

Petterd

McNamara

Buckley

Yze

Jamar

Garland

Robbo

Jones

Juice

Meesen

Sylvia

* Flash seemed to be an interchange player for both teams, but overall wouldn't have spent more than half the time on the ground.

The only other one to miss a run (not mentioned by Timmy) was rookie Jake Spencer.

Most of those who sat in the stand did some of the warm-up drills and then iced-up. We know about most of their injuries which are being 'managed' (Neitz, Bartram, Rivers, Whelan etc.) but I'm gettin a bit more worried about Chooka McLean. He again had his right knee strapped and iced and I didn't see him participate in any of the warm-ups. Wheatley had ice on a hip (a cork or a strain?) and Dunny told us he has a bit of a groin niggle. Incidentally, as was reported on Wednesday, Dunny has certainly built up his physique over the summer, and now has the body of a potential KPP (a CHF perhaps??).

Jack Grimes worked his backside off during the prelims, and finished long after the other non-starters were in the stand.

I heard after the game that Ooze had his eye 'scratched' and had been taken to hospital to have it checked out. I dunno the outcome.

I totally agree with Timmy that the game was played with high intensity ...... as if there were spots up for grabs (which of course there were!). I thought the on-field talking, support for team mates, tackling and backing up were super.

The game was an open affair, with only a couple of bits scrappy play. This may have had something to do with there being only 15 per team.

I particularly noted that there weren't many of those dinky little passes and sideways kicks that we saw far too often last year. Most of the foot passes were half or three quarter distance kicks, executed with good skills to a team mate making good position.

Just a few of my observations / thoughts about particular players.

Defenders

Bell and Chips looked best to me, and provided good run off HB. Millsy played FB and was competive, but his disposal still needs work. Greeny seemed to be playing off HB and also did pretty well.

Forwards

Agree 100% with Timmy that Izaac looked the goods. According to my reckoning he kicked 3 goals (out of a total of 10 for the match for both sides). He was fast and elusive and his forward defensive skills were super. I was also impressed by the defensive side of Ossies game. Dutchy played up forward and his presence and marking had a positive impact.

Midfield Smalls

I was wrapped in what I saw here. I thought Bucks and Chunk were excellent in a losing side and playing to a (mostly) losing ruck. Beamer and Valenti were equally good for the winners. As mentioned by Timmy, Flash only played in short bursts, but he made a huge difference when he was part of the mix. Add Chooka, JMac and Bruce to this lot and I reckon, we have the makings of a good midfield group.

Rucks

Most of the centre square contests had Whitey opposed to Rush. Whitey's spring gave him a strong edge, but Rush was competitive, and good in some bullocking situations. PJ and Meeson did some of the boundary ruckwork, but there wasn't much of this (big ground and small team size possibly a factor here).

Newbies

I've mentioned Ossie and Valenti above. Based on what I saw today I'd expect them to be around MFC for quite a while.

Morts was the other young gun to catch my eye. He got a fair bit of the ball, especially early on, and I thought he used it quite well. He also laid an excellent tackle that I recall. There were a few occasions when I thought he didn't know where to position himself (eg. at kick-ins and stop plays) but good coaching and experience will soon remedy this.

Thanks again Timmy for starting the ball rolling on this topic. I hope my thoughts will add a bit of info and interest for footy starved Demonlanders who couldn't get to today's game .... but please remember, I'm a one-eyed Dees fan, and undoubtedly viewed the game through my rose coloured glasses!

Happy to answer any questions, but I will be out of town from Sunday morning, so will need to hear from you in the next 24 hours.

Bring on the Cats.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reason for brock mclean on the sideline is becoz he twisted his knee on monday. how did trent zomer go??

If Trent Zomer is who I thought Trent Zomer was then, from what I remember...he took one good mark and then missed a sitter in front. Didn't really notice hime other than that....if that was indeed Trent Zomer :rolleyes:

Ok, here's an abridged version of a match report, since it's been mostly covered.

First up, iit was damn cold, a classic early season blast from Canberra (also famous for late-season blasts of cold)

-Robbo enjoyed the game and seemed unrestricted in his movement. A couple of good marks.

-Morton was finding space and anticipating the play very well, but had a bit of trouble once he got it in his hands. Sly, worked his way loose very well. Lots of possessions early.

-Valenti got the ball and then used it better than I expected. Good game.

-Bate kicked a couple of long goals. Looked really annoyed when he was rested for a while. Played midfield/HF

-Woneamirri worked hard - not quite as 'bang bang you're gone' as Davey was, but pretty tough and got right back into it with second efforts. It's not a fair comparison - Woneamirri isn't really the same kind of player, he's a tougher brand closer to Pickett if you ask me.

-Paul Johnson stood out for me, moved well to space, found targets, took marks, a couple of goals I think. Rucking and almost CHF. Note that he was in a very dominant team on the day, but he's a certainty for the [censored] game against Geschmong.

-Another nice showing - Simon Buckley was in it a lot, got it well and used it well.

-Moloney was excellent all game, probably most possessions and many of them were contested - showed good vision, while still using the old long-kicking. Just really good. Excitingly good.

-Carroll worked hard and followed up. Reminded me of his good form from 2006.

-Ben Holland looked fast :o , timed his runs well and pushed off his opponent.

-Some goalkicking issues from guess who Holland and Miller. (don't start) But both were heavily involved.

-Cheney was an angry bee in a bottle all day.

Overall, there were some very, very promising pieces of play. The 'Red & Blue' team was right in control, with a lot of heavy pressure and tackling which was great to see in a scratch match. The 'Silver' team were under the pump all day but there were a lot of well picked out passes in amongst it, given the pressure.

Definatels, which we might not have anticipated, for Geelong game - PJ, Buckley, Moloney, Wonneaspelli, Valenti.

I like our chances of winning our way back up here for round 2 of the [censored] cup.

If Trent Zomer is who I thought Trent Zomer was then, from what I remember...he took one good mark and then missed a sitter in front. Didn't really notice hime other than that....if that was indeed Trent Zomer :rolleyes:

Yep. I'm sure you got it right.

Wonneaspelli

DD. Loving your work. You'd better get busy in the season proper...

This is thread of the year so far. Based on what people have said, I'm the most excited I've been yet for this season...

Good work mate.

Nice to hear Weetra's doing some good things in pre-season, intrigued to see what he does this season.

Can you describe his playing style? If you had to compare him to a current player, who'd be the most similar?

Good work mate.

Nice to hear Weetra's doing some good things in pre-season, intrigued to see what he does this season.

Can you describe his playing style? If you had to compare him to a current player, who'd be the most similar?

That is a tough one. he is very quick and nimble. He also seems to have good hands and a nice accurate kick.

Having said that I don't think he is alead up forward type player, more a crumber-link type player.

His play sort of reminds me of what Byron used to do for us but in a less flamboyant and physical way.

Not sure of a player that I can compre him with. But I am sure you will see him on the 16th against the cats...barring and injury.

That is a tough one. he is very quick and nimble. He also seems to have good hands and a nice accurate kick.

Having said that I don't think he is alead up forward type player, more a crumber-link type player.

His play sort of reminds me of what Byron used to do for us but in a less flamboyant and physical way.

Not sure of a player that I can compre him with. But I am sure you will see him on the 16th against the cats...barring and injury.

Agree with Timmy's assessment. Obviously not as strong or as physical as Byron, but none-the-less, I thought his strong defensive pressure, chasing and tackling were a real feature of his play yesterday .

Interested in the positioning of Holland and Miller - trying to get a handle on the forward and back combinations under Bailey.

The locks are Carroll and Rivers back and Neitz and Robertson forward.

Sounds like Miller stays back, so Holland plays CHF, with Dunn/Bate/Sylvia rotating around him - or Holland also plays back and one of he and Miller gets dropped every second week when we don't need four tall backs?

I'd like to see Holland go forward again

The best thing about that article was that it sounded like Paul gardner was actually in Melbourne.

Not New York, Mt.Everest, The Steve Irwin, Kokoda Track, etc.etc..