2 NEW AFL TEAMS

Yencks

So the "AFL is looking at creating two new teams now that the Kangaroos rejected relocation plans earlier today"

For some people this would seem to be a good thing

-A stronger following for the game

-A more national game

-More stadiums

-More travelling for each club, evening out the fixture

However for the Melbourne Footy Club, I can see a lot of negatives

-To be honessed, I have been very unpopular in my desire for the Kangaroos and the Western Bulldogs to eventually move out of Victoria as I was hoping that

1)it would help Melbourne out because theoretically we could pick up some of the upset fans who would not be interested in supporting their club if they moved and,

2)it would make Melbourne a more prominant force in Melbourne with less teams around clogging up the city

What would honestly be better for Melbourne...to have the roos and the dogs move out, freeing up space and contributing towards making the game more national and wide...or to have two new teams, probably in NSW/TAS/DARWIN and Gold Coast...

thoughts..

The AFL want hte Kanga on the GC and the Doggies parked outside of Parramattta...and if they wont go... well they use stand ins !! Of course its better if those teams go. now its just game on...and its nothing about footy!!

By "honessed" do you mean the "trooth"?

Your command of the English language is appalling.

Stop trolling.

On topic, from a footys fanatics point of view, I want there to be as many teams as possible in vic, however, I don't want extra teams as I think it's too much, so I guess I'd say neither.

Guest fatty
Stop trolling.

Fair enough.

I can tolerate most diversions and bastardisations of the English language. I just can't take "honnessed". Its wrong on so many levels.

On topic, NM are gone, Bulldogs are next and then we're in the firing line.

The "space" that NM frees up is non-existent and I wouldn't expect that the MFC will get any of the pie.

The less teams in Melbourne is better for the AFL.

where ever teams are based, 16 is the right number of teams in my opinoin,the draw and spread of talent is questionable at the moment, can we relocate andrew and adrian?

The worst part of the proposal to add two more teams playing out of Victoria is that inevitably teams like Melbourne and the Bulldogs will be firstly, under pressure to relocate and secondly, will play more games interstate and teams like Collingwood will still have their easy draw and an annual four trips interstate (of which only one will be to WA) plus no trips to Skilled Stadium. In other words, the additional teams would add to our competitive disadvantage. Melbourne fans should send the message to the Board that we don't want teams 17 and 18 unless all Victorian clubs have a similar deal year in year out as far as interstate clubs are concerned. Otherwise, a vote for extra teams is suicide.

The worst part of the proposal to add two more teams playing out of Victoria is that inevitably teams like Melbourne and the Bulldogs will be firstly, under pressure to relocate and secondly, will play more games interstate and teams like Collingwood will still have their easy draw and an annual four trips interstate (of which only one will be to WA) plus no trips to Skilled Stadium. In other words, the additional teams would add to our competitive disadvantage. Melbourne fans should send the message to the Board that we don't want teams 17 and 18 unless all Victorian clubs have a similar deal year in year out as far as interstate clubs are concerned. Otherwise, a vote for extra teams is suicide.

It will also make my annual gripe about AFL club support membership and membership in general more valid. More interstate teams means more interstate trips for Melbourne and less games you can actually use your membership to see your team play.

Guest redandbluethruandthru

ok so what will these 2 new teams be called.

The Gold Coast Ghosts (because noone will go to see them)

and The West Sydney Afterthoughts

obviously because both will suck major ass.

BrisbAnus can barely fill a stadium .

Sydney is the gay capital of Oz with 99.9 % of their supporters rampant homosexuals.

Where will a 2nd sydney team get their supporter base from? illegal immigrants and dole-bludging surfers from the coastal towns??

won't work, never will

id say north, bulldogs, hawks , we are bias but as ive previously said we cant be the West Sydney Melbourne. once our new training facilites are up and running and say North and the Dogs are interstate clubs we should be allright. the worst thing those two clubs did was to become the kangaroos dropping the North and bulldogs dropping Footscray. a second team in Qld ,NSW and a team in Tassie (maybe 5-6 home games a year) would make it as national as its going to get ,leaving 7-8 teams in Melbourne.

In the Lions last Premiership year, they had 10 crowds of over 40k at the Gabba

In 2007 the Lions had just one.

Their team hasn't fallen off that much, they still have some star players and some exciting kids, but the fans have deserted them.

Neither Queensland nor NSW are ready for a 2nd team yet.

I have always felt the answer to the whole struggling club merger / relocation problem is the introduction of new teams to the league.

If we had a competition of 18 (or I think 20 is better) teams then Melbourne won't feel so much like we have too many clubs here and the league will also be more balanced. Also if the league is split in two it will increase the chances to play in finals and thus create more revenue for teams.

Also we will get alot more games to watch and even watching other teams is better than nothing.. (like in summer - I am so bored without footy!!)

So I say bring it on - 1 more in Sydney, Gold Coast, Tasmania and maybe one more in Perth??

Their team hasn't fallen off that much, they still have some star players and some exciting kids, but the fans have deserted them.

agreed, this aint my idea. this is a best case scenario for us

This i agree with.

Especially here in NSW, we hardly get any AFL coverage unless ot is something major with the swans or in the AFL (Cousins saga). In addition in Western Sydney no one really cares about AFL, and the stores hardly sell AFL gear only swans stuff. So how is an new team in West Sydney going to get support?

Maybe in 10 to 20 years time QLD and NSW will be ready, but not yet

The AFL can't afford to wait in the Gold Coast. Titans (NRL) are already there, ALeague won't be far off. The GC is not just a tourist town anymore, it's the fastest growing city in the land and has considerable and growing industries. If they don't get in soon they may miss the boat.

This is empire building and the league will underwrite whatever form of club ends up there for the forseeable future.

I could stomach relocation, but not a merger. If North ends up merged into a gold coast sharks a few years down the track it would be an absolute disaster.

Brisbane doesn't own Fitzroy's history in the same way that Sydney owns South Melbourne's.

It is much better for us for if North go (and the Bullies to parramatta or wherever)

2 places for 2 teams

TAS N NT

Having a gold coast team wont work carrara needs major redevelopment but , nothing all of it going to the new nrl ground at Robina

NT has a big afl following and lots of big stars come from there , buckley,mcleod,long,davey,motlop,riloi,whelan,clarke etc its due for a team , football park plays afl games for dogs already and pre season and always big crowds there , like with tas ,time to expand into the afl made states that have no team

2 places for 2 teams

TAS N NT

Having a gold coast team wont work carrara needs major redevelopment but , nothing all of it going to the new nrl ground at Robina

NT has a big afl following and lots of big stars come from there , buckley,mcleod,long,davey,motlop,riloi,whelan,clarke etc its due for a team , football park plays afl games for dogs already and pre season and always big crowds there , like with tas ,time to expand into the afl made states that have no team

i really like this idea of having a team up north...i think that they could really use the temperature there to their advantage aswell if that makes sense because it is hard for teams to acclimitise, so that could be their little advantage over other club...

however i also think that putting another team in queensland or nsw would work because it would create a freo/WC and adel/PA rivalry which makes the game more excitiing and strong with these big matches

Make no mistake, MFC will be better off if they introduce more clubs.

My biggest concern for MFC is our relative position on the financial ladder. The Roos currently occupy bottom spot on that ladder and that takes pressure off us.

If the kangas had chosen to move north then their money problems would be over and we would be one step closer to the poorest club in the afl.

But if we introduce more teams then the afl will be populated (theoretically) by a larger number of small clubs, rather than a smaller number of large clubs, personally i think we should do everything we can to avoid the latter.

Also I think we would be better off with a system where by each team plays eachother once in the regular season, with more teams it is possible.

Where's the members/money going to come from?

Anyone who seriously thinks a town of just over a 100000 can support an AFL level team is quite frankly dreaming !! it might be able to turnup to the odd 'special' game but there is no where near enough of anythoig to get an AFL working !!

Always thought Tassie could work possibly with a relocated team... but they would struggle also.. but are a far more realistic proposition. ( and even that wont happen )

Meanwhile at AFL Headquarters...

------------------------

BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!

They will feel my power, all of them! They must know they cannot escape, the fools should admit when they are beaten!

There will be clubs, clubs everywhere, and they will do my bidding or be doomed to delayed broadcats and the cruel torments of endless sunday twilight fixtures. I will strangle them slowly, and all the while they will be begging, BEGGING me to grant them meagre coins to keep their emaciated, malnourished players on the field.

Wagga Wagga, Geraldton, Lakes Entrance, Mt Gambier! They will all be MINE, and none shall have the strength to fight the wrath of my dark minions, the all-consuming Magpies of darkness!

Fly my pretties, fly! Bring me the consumers! Bring them ALL to ME!

Ah HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAA.

-----------------------

Methinks something is amiss amongst the heads of the AFL...