• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Adem Yze's magic set to return

Pinball Wizard

Yze should be put on trial in all 4 NAB Cup games next year.

I hope he's there for round 1 though. If you've seen MFC's latest DVD highlights, you'll realise how lethal Yze's left foot has been over the years and he has the potential to be a 45-50 per year goal kicker as a full-time forward.

But as others have mentioned, I can also quite easily see him retiring or being delisted at the end of the year as Bailey overlooks him in selection all year.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the article it is clear to me that Yze still doesn't "get" it. Twenty possessions doesn't abrogate your responsibility to put your head over the ball rather than toe poke it when contact is likely, to "go" when it's your turn, to man up, chase, tackle with intensity instead of token efforts, ....

agreed

I also suspect that the previous coach failed to adequately communicate these shortcomings, or simply chose to put up with them.

-- I think the former

Am happy enough if Adem puts in enough to get games this year and truly contribute. I think he's kidding himself though if he really thinks his career is going to go much furhter than 2008.

The thing is Adem , if he was so really concerned more for fitmess and accontabliltiy than any mention of records could easily have declared himslef unfit for any game and so ended the preposterous game he played in cahoots it seems with a co operative coach. But he didnt...so we can fairly assume his priorities are not as he would have us beleive. Actions are far louder than words !!.

To be totally truyhful i have admired like many his amazing skills. I suppose this is what aggrieves many is so much ability..so litel delivery !!

what irks me is he always strikes me as the kid who nicks another piece of cake when he thinks no one is looking !! Ive seen him lay on cowardly, yes COWARDLY tackles ..cheap shots to look good..and shirk some realt contests. Yes Adem..some people WERE watching !!

enjoy the year..thanks for efforts...dont slam door on way out

It's a shame you can't say that around here without having monkeys throw their $%^$ at you.

To restate my point in the simplest way possible -

1. Yze was an effective player for many years.

2. Yze has had a downturn in form characterised by frayed nerves on field, and a lack of intensity.

3. Yze would once again be a valuable contributor if he could control that key problem.

4. If he doesn't deal with it, he'll be delisted at the end of the year without much second thought.

Now, Hannabal, feel free to tell me what the frickin problem is there, and why it means you get to say that 99% of the people here think soft players win premierships.

1. David Neitz would kick 120 goals in a season if he didn't drop chest marks, kicked straighter, and was 5 years younger.

2. Aaron Davey would be a great ruckman if he was 2 feet taller.

3. Mark Jamar could be a footballer.

Some things are never going to happen. Such as your point #3.

And Green soft, that comment always shows up the dumbest Melbourne supporters. I'm not even a Green fan, but he'd never duck his head in a practice much with no one around him. Nor would he duck his head backing into a pack. Idiots.

Green will kick it indiscriminately to avoid contact.

Does it all the time, I can't believe no-one else notices it.

If Green has a role in the midfield then Yze has a role in the forward line.

Personally I'd like to see Green take on Yze's role in the FP. Make Green earn his kicks rather than get cheap ones off the half back line.

Must be a different Green then that backs himself into a pack for a mark!!

Some of his disposal is a tad indescriminant, but thats not because he fears contact me thinks !!

Does it all the time, I can't believe no-one else notices it.

If Green has a role in the midfield then Yze has a role in the forward line.

Personally I'd like to see Green take on Yze's role in the FP. Make Green earn his kicks rather than get cheap ones off the half back line.

OMFG

Green consistenly backs into oncoming packs to take marks. Dude, lay of the moonshine.

Agreed

I think I saw Green run with the flight of the ball 3 times this year to take a very gutsy mark

I thought the first time was a fluke, but obviously not. He really showed some balls last season

I can't believe what I'm reading here.

Would you rather he get crunched and lose the ball? Even if what you were saying were true (which I don't think it is), a rushed kick is not the same thing as taking half steps when attacking the ball.

I can't believe what I'm reading here.

Either can I. The speed at which some people drop off our players is frightening.

We all know Yze's negative points, do we forget his positives. He is able to kick goals. Not many can. He is not the type to attack every contest with the aim of knocking out his opponent. He doesn't play that way. That doesn't mean he couldn't win us a final with a few smart kicks.

It is [censored] to say every player in a premiership is a star and is ruthless. Bad time to use him as an example but look at the Cats full forward in the GF. 3 of the softest goals I have ever seen, given to him by team mates. Not every player is a Todd Viney. Oh thats right he couldn't kick. Anyone want him out of their side? There is room for the Yze type of player in every team, as long as they contribute. I think the term is a "finisher". How many of them do we have?

It is bullshit to say every player in a premiership is a star and is ruthless. Bad time to use him as an example but look at the Cats full forward in the GF. 3 of the softest goals I have ever seen, given to him by team mates. Not every player is a Todd Viney. Oh thats right he couldn't kick. Anyone want him out of their side? There is room for the Yze type of player in every team, as long as they contribute. I think the term is a "finisher". How many of them do we have?

I think Redleg that you are failing to make the distinction between "finisher" and "soft". You can be an outside player without shitting your pants at the thought of getting hit.

Yep, every side has an Yze. And every side's Yze is exactly where Yze is -- on the periphery.

let's settle this...WJ and a lot of ppl are correct IMO that we already have enough youth in our side, and if he is in the best 22 he should definately be playerd..no questions asked...just because he is older doesnt mean he is crap...it is also good to have more leaders on the pitch..dont anyone deny his leadership abilities or i will shut u down..

towards the end of 08 i hope we see........

FF:Marric Neitz Yze

HF:Davey Juice Robbo

Bate is in the mix aswell

let's settle this...WJ and a lot of ppl are correct IMO that we already have enough youth in our side, and if he is in the best 22 he should definately be playerd..no questions asked...just because he is older doesnt mean he is crap...it is also good to have more leaders on the pitch..dont anyone deny his leadership abilities or i will shut u down..

towards the end of 08 i hope we see........

FF:Marric Neitz Yze

HF:Davey Juice Robbo

Bate is in the mix aswell

Excellent leadership abilities, no denying that, that's why he's in the leadership group... oh hang on, no he's not... and GEE I wonder why. Can't cut it in one of the worst leadership groups in the comp, that says it all.

The first half against Essendon in that elim final was the only glimpse of leadership he's ever shown.

Uh-oh, I'm gunna get shut down now!

And where did anyone say him being older means he is crap?

Excellent leadership abilities, no denying that, that's why he's in the leadership group... oh hang on, no he's not... and GEE I wonder why. Can't cut it in one of the worst leadership groups in the comp, that says it all.

The first half against Essendon in that elim final was the only glimpse of leadership he's ever shown.

Uh-oh, I'm gunna get shut down now!

And where did anyone say him being older means he is crap?

ok ok...if you actually read what i was saying deetox, i agree with the people that say "because he is older, it does not mean mean he is crap.."............and here are the reasons why adem yze is a leader

-i have met him on several occasions and he is not scarred to get his hands dirty and take drills with little kids on family days....the modern day leader not only delegates but leads by example

-the fact that he played 200 games in a row, shows that he is a consistent and keen player (the best captains and leaders in the league WITHOUT DOUBT are consistent ALA, James Hird, Michael Voss, Robert Harvey...

-not only that, when he was demoted from the leadership group, he did not complain but he supported his captain and his coach in making that decision and a true leader does not need to have an official role but is able to lead by example and move on from the demotions and prove himself

-also, i have seen first hand that he works well with the young players and they look up to him at BBQ's, trainings and the family days

-also, i have asked him what he thinks of David Neitz as captain and he said that "bloody champion mate", that shows that he looks up to his leader and is willing to cooperate with someone that is above him even though david neitz was part of the reason he was moved from the leadership group

-also, he was voted to be in the leadership group by the players and was demoted when the new look young leadership group back then of brock, green, bruce and neitz took over (and as we have seen that was a flonk)

-dont for one second think that i am denying he was demoted from the leadership group because that is a fact, but u cant say that he is not a leader for that reason....you watch his determination this year if he is injury free and we will see who wins this argument

i understand that he was inconsistent at the beginning of 07, but that was due to some bad play and niggling injuries and a bit of lazyness...did u see him bounce back for sandy the next week?

a lot of our great leaders have had small problems ala, voss in the night club incident, neitz at crown, kevin rudd going to a strippers joint, but it is peoples ability to bounce back that shows good leadership...we will see what happens with Yze this season!

a lot of our great leaders have had small problems ala, voss in the night club incident, neitz at crown, kevin rudd going to a strippers joint, but it is peoples ability to bounce back that shows good leadership...we will see what happens with Yze this season!

You're describing a good bloke, I'm talking about on-field leaders. A leader who is out there to lead 21 other men, set an example, go when it's his turn, inspire etc...

You've also met him and no doubt value the person he is, I'm not questioning that.

Yze is not a leader on a football field. He might be a popular bloke amongst the boys, but even they would cringe when Joel Bowden yells "BOO" from 30 meters away and Yze shat himself, in Febuary no less....

I always go back to this incident. It's the worst of all his "soft" actions over the years, but it was pathetic to watch, and no leader would ever do that.

He was once one of my favourite players, I love exciting players, and I won't deny he's an excitement machine at his best. But it's going on 3 years of selfish, soft, embarrassing Yze, who like Hannabal says, still thinks 20 possessions is all it takes to get a game. If that's all it takes, they're all 300 game champions. (Jamar excluded *chuckle*)

yeah i see where you are coming from deetox and i suppose we have different defintions of the word leader....i do not believe that there is only one leader on the football fiield and there is not 22 either...i think he is definately a leader off the field and on the field he has been soft like u say and has been selfish in the past but i still believe that a) players look up to him....b)he has proved consistency over his career....c)he is a great player...and d)he has been around at the club through thick and thin and has a love for our club...and his actions over the extent of his career and during (I believe) what he is about to achieve this year..players follow in his actions as a leader and he may not be a captain or have an official role but he sets himself apart from the group and gathers a following wherever he goes...if he has a shocker of a season (not counting for injuries) i will write you a letter and admit defeat but if he is able to bounce back and make our top 22, i think as a 30 year old coming back from injury with great respect and history, it makes him an on field leader.......he may not be shouting orders but he will lead by example and by george, the younger players will look up to him if that happens

I tend to agree with you Nugget. I think Yze is as close to a champion as they come. He has been a model of consistency over his entire career. In a way, I think that this consistency contributed to an even greater downfall for Ooze in 2007. Perhaps it is the case that us Melbourne supporters who expect so much from him week in, week out (and, until this year, he delivered) that when there came a time that his form did wane everyone was crying that it was the end for him. Younger players DO look up to Yze, not just because of his brilliance and magic, but because he has been so consistent over such a long period.

Ooze is definitely a victim of expectation - we must give him a red hot go next year and hopefully he will return to his consistent best.

I also agree with you Nugget.

You can never have enough class in the side. Especially now that TJ's gone. I hope he has a big year and proves most people around here wrong.

-----------------------

Also, after reading this forum for over 4 years I've learnt something. Apparantly if you turn 30, you have no right to be playing AFL footy :rolleyes:

I suppose essentialy there are maybe two schools of thought here..

Some have the classy highly skilled champ having put many years into the club and deserving of all bouquest and no brickbats..

and then there's the other camp.

Here, people dont question his undeniable talent, just wonder why its so sporadic. Also on this list are thoughts about real ticker,or are efforts only required when someone might be watching..and other acts when possibly people arent.

Yze is a talent...but far from a champion. They're different.

I tend to agree with you Nugget. I think Yze is as close to a champion as they come. He has been a model of consistency over his entire career. In a way, I think that this consistency contributed to an even greater downfall for Ooze in 2007. Perhaps it is the case that us Melbourne supporters who expect so much from him week in, week out (and, until this year, he delivered) that when there came a time that his form did wane everyone was crying that it was the end for him. Younger players DO look up to Yze, not just because of his brilliance and magic, but because he has been so consistent over such a long period.

Ooze is definitely a victim of expectation - we must give him a red hot go next year and hopefully he will return to his consistent best.

That's bulltish. He's been a model of consistency and hopefully he will return to his consistent best. :wacko::lol::lol:

Yze is a victim of his own failing and the increased demands on AFL footballers to be committed and accountable in the contest.

One of the major issues with Yze has been his inconsistent application of his talents. He has been far from a model of consistency especially in the past three years. I cant think of a player who has been given so many opportunities to perform when his form has been waning and not always stood up to the pitch and delivered.

Its all a reflection of the soft culture at MFC that we rewarded a talented but lazy and selfish player who does not put his head down when its his turn with the VC. As important leadership role players should and DO have looked up to him. Its no wonder they took it off him at the end of 2005. What a blight.

As others have said any positive contribution from Yze this year, his last will be a positive. Otherwise he will once more rack up those hard contested tackles at Sandy.

Yze is a talent...but far from a champion. They're different.

Correct. He could have been a champion but his approach to the game has compromised what could have been.

I also agree with you Nugget.

You can never have enough class in the side. Especially now that TJ's gone. I hope he has a big year and proves most people around here wrong.

-----------------------

Also, after reading this forum for over 4 years I've learnt something. Apparantly if you turn 30, you have no right to be playing AFL footy :rolleyes:

You must be puzzled why Neitz is still playing?

If the class involves avoiding the contested ball, let you opponent off run off you unaccounted why you argue with the umpire and go for contested marks one handed, I'll pass. This sort of "class" gets find out in tough contested football. Its an illusion. Its the same class that finds TJ out as well.

I hope he has a big year.....it will make his ordinary inconsistent performances in 2005-2007 look embarrassing.

That's bulltish. He's been a model of consistency and hopefully he will return to his consistent best. :wacko::lol::lol:

Yze is a victim of his own failing and the increased demands on AFL footballers to be committed and accountable in the contest.

One of the major issues with Yze has been his inconsistent application of his talents. He has been far from a model of consistency especially in the past three years. I cant think of a player who has been given so many opportunities to perform when his form has been waning and not always stood up to the pitch and delivered.

Its all a reflection of the soft culture at MFC that we rewarded a talented but lazy and selfish player who does not put his head down when its his turn with the VC. As important leadership role players should and DO have looked up to him. Its no wonder they took it off him at the end of 2005. What a blight.

As others have said any positive contribution from Yze this year, his last will be a positive. Otherwise he will once more rack up those hard contested tackles at Sandy.

It's funny (and quite sad) how people so quickly forget how much someone has given when they are not having the best of times. You must have overlooked the fact that Adem was an All-Australian in 2002 and Best and Fairest winner in 2001. In 2003-05, Yze finished in the Top 10 for the best and fairest, including a 3rd place in 2004. He is the club's consecutive games record holder and yes, whilst I'll admit that Daniher had a bit to do with this, surely playing 200+ consecutive games is testament to Adem's physical and mental strength.

I think you have also overlooked the fact that the football club AS A WHOLE have performed inconsistently over the past decade. This certainly makes it difficult for outside players like Yze, but I still believe that he has performed admirably during these tough times.

I think it's about time people stand back, and give Adem a chance. I can't believe people call him a "lazy and selfish" player when he has given the Melbourne football club such great service over the past decade.

And even if he was selfish, I wouldn't give a s*** because the Melbourne footy club need more selfish players, players who are not afraid to take on the rest, players who have a touch of arrogance about them.

Thankyou very much

GIVEN !! ?? last I looked they get paid. If Adem put as much effort into actually 'giving' and contributing to the 'team' as opposed to showponying...then we all prrobably wouldnt be here discussing him in this light .