Travis to Brisbane

dazzledavey36

mmm he missed out of top 10 in 2006, yet his stats were a lot better than in 2005, he missed a lot of games over the years through op!

we are now offivially eating our own! embarrasing and disgraceful!

go lions!

Well if he's missed a lot of games through OP, what is his true value to us? You can't have it both ways.........

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sherman is supposedly out of favour, that’s why there is a trade option there. As for Wood going high in the draft two years ago that doesn't really matter. Messen went at pick 8 a few years ago but we will be getting him for a 3rd round pick. There are heaps of ruckmen flying around this year, with Moran, King, Jamar (I would hope) and a few others. So to give up so much for Wood who is a second ruckman and a very thin one would seem a bit much. Not to mention a player as well!

If 14 is the best we can get for Trav then that will be the deal, but we are also paying 400,000 of his contract. It seems they are so desperate to get rid of him they will do it at any cost. I find it hard to believe he is that bad around the club.

Unfortunately I don't. Every year Trapper's contract has come up there's been talk of him going to another club. First it was Collingwood, then Essendon, then Sydney, his contract is due to expire next year... as Old said he'd quite happily hold the club over a barrell to get what he wanted. He's a lazy and selfish footballer. He has a poor reputation at the club. If we are paying 400K to get him to Brisbane and he's been at the club ten years, then rest assured the people at the club have had enough. Trading him isn't about ego's and being seen to be active in trade week, it's actually about developing a winning culture instead of accepting mediocrity.

Guest unstable punt
another lynden dunn, no way! out of all the bagging of trav and carrol people must forget how bad he is! couldnt cut it at chf so we try him as a run with midfielder! He struggled at sandy in finals when it was to hot for him. he needed to stand up and be a leader he failed!

way too harsh, Dunn has shown he has the goods and just needs to be given more of a go, bit too light for CHF and then ND sent him back to Sandy and forgot about him, brought back after "mediocre man" got the arse and showed he could be a good wingman

SH*T TRADE!!!!

Yeah let's get rid of one of our best players for some crappy pick 14 kid.

This is not a good option. It's a pathetic one.

Brisbane will be laughing at us if they pick up Travis.

What a joke - This is what Melbourne have been doing for years & our premierships prove this is a ridiculous idea.

I've got a great idea - Let's play for the NOW!

I'm sick of this crap!

Happy with that trade. TJ has been my fav player for years but to be honest im happy to see him go, weird to say. He has fantastic skills but never lived up to a #1 pick. In my opinion this is a good outcome for melbourne getting pick 14. Hopefully Rance will be still availible then. Teams that prob wont pick up Rance are Adelaide, Freo, Geelong, Saints, Sydfney and west coast as they all have fine FB's. And while i write this, its confirmed and signed, meesen to melb for pick 37. Bit expensive but hey. Getting back to TJ, he was never worth a 1st rounder and Jones looks to be 10 times better than him. Also concider that we are wanting to become a youth team. Yes we still need some leaders around like Bruce, Green and McDonnald in the midfield but apart from that we need to build for the future. When these kids start to fire, Tj will be 28 or older and may not even make it in the team. People speak about his last game against Carlton....Carlton people. Any player can rack up disposals unmarked and playing carlton. I like the deal, would like Jarrod Brennan too as a sweatner but 14 is ok

I for one am very satisfied with this trade. I'm not happy yet because I don't know who we're going to get with pick 14, but I'm satisfied we got about what he was worth. People need to remember he is getting on in age and the club obviously believe we can get a player that will give us a lot better chance at a premiership(s) over the next 10 years than he will in the next 3. We need to be realistic and the fact is that our list is not currently premiership material - at some stage hard decisions need to be made and we need to build around our best group of players who at this stage are our youngsters.

There are going to be some very good quality youngsters available at pick 14 so I'm very excited to get another 1st round pick. As a guide to who might be available have a look at this mock draft from big footy (obviously just for some ideas) and read about some of the players: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358174. More info on the players: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.p...ighlight=weaver

GO DEMONS!!

Very very stupid move by the club.

We just lost any chance we had at competing for a premiership in the next 2 years or so.

I feel sick just at the thought of this trade....this club and its supporters have been terrible to TJ...we dont deserve him....i hope he tears us apart next season and the powers at be realise what a stupid trade it has been!!

I feel sick just at the thought of this trade....this club and its supporters have been terrible to TJ...we dont deserve him....i hope he tears us apart next season and the powers at be realise what a stupid trade it has been!!

That's exactly whats going to happen.

It's a joke & everyone who agrees with this one is one too!

We just lost any chance we had at competing for a premiership in the next 2 years or so.

As if we were a chance for a premiership in the next 2 years! :wacko:

Excuse me? We don't deserve him? A player who has more or less bludged his way through his career and got by soley on his natural talent? HE doesn't deserve US, yet we have perservered with him to the point of exhaustion, and the club has finally had enough.

That's exactly whats going to happen.

It's a joke & everyone who agrees with this one is one too!

I know you are, but what am I....

Excuse me? We don't deserve him? A player who has more or less bludged his way through his career and got by soley on his natural talent? HE doesn't deserve US, yet we have perservered with him to the point of exhaustion, and the club has finally had enough.

correct! people have to realise that the club is bigger than the individual. Travis has been payed top dollar for the past 10 seasons and he has done not much, and as much as i have loved watching him tear it up twice a year it is not enough!

These are the hardest decisions to make but are the decisions that need to be made. They hurt at the time but it hurts a hell of a lot more to have sat through 20 years with no premiership!

I know first hand the effect he has had on some of the younger players at the club and the club has seen this and is acting upon it, good decision if you ask me.

Anyone thinking that we were a realistic chance of challenging for the flag in the next 2 years are dreaming. The MFC are starting to get rid of the older players that have value, and quite rightly so. They aren't gonna win us a premiership, as simple as that. We may as well trade them and get some decent picks for them, to try and improve our list so that in another 3+ years, our core group of youngsters will have developed into what we believe they can. Then we will seriously be able to challenge for the flag.

Like Hawthorn have done, what Carlton are doing now, and what Brisbane did half a decade ago. We need to go through this phase, or we will just end up playing in EF and SF, but not challenging for the flag. Some might be content with consistently making the finals, i'd rather miss the finals for a few years then make the GF, and hopefully win it.

Like Hawthorn have done, what Carlton are doing now, and what Brisbane did half a decade ago. We need to go through this phase, or we will just end up playing in EF and SF, but not challenging for the flag. Some might be content with consistently making the finals, i'd rather miss the finals for a few years then make the GF, and hopefully win it.

Mate, we've been going through THIS PHASE for 43 years!

As for TJ, personally I have very much liked watching him play over the years. But I also reckon he's been missing a few targets this year and his skills might be on the decline.

Clearly that is the whole team hence why we finished third from the bottom. I dont see why TJ has to singled out for the crap we were forced to watch all year and as a matter of a fact for the last few years. If we need to clean out people that are missing targets etc we wont have a team left.

And whoever said a lot of members will be angry with the trade is spot on, some of us are fed up with the stupid trades Melbourne make and as much as I wont to I will not mention the W name.

And whoever said a lot of members will be angry with the trade is spot on, some of us are fed up with the stupid trades Melbourne make and as much as I wont to I will not mention the W name.

Am with you on this one.

To blame one of our best players for our sh*t year is pathetic!

I for one don't mind if we got rid of him but I would NOT get rid of him for a deal such as this one.

Look at the Judd trade. Johnstone (in a good team) is top 10 in the AFL.

Let's not lose another great for a troubled kid.

Clearly that is the whole team hence why we finished third from the bottom. I dont see why TJ has to singled out for the crap we were forced to watch all year and as a matter of a fact for the last few years. If we need to clean out people that are missing targets etc we wont have a team left.

Woewodin? Because he was such an unqualified success at Collingwood. And we got only Daniel Bell with pick 14 in return.

Supporters are usually loyal to the players on their list, so it is natural that we will all be a bit upset at seeing TJ go. But the reasonable supporters understand this decision by the club, as it is one that indicates the club is not afraid to make some hard calls to make sure our future is brighter.

He is the one of the most talented players in the competition, yes.

He struggles with tags, yes.

His efficiency with boot this year was down, yes.

Is he one dimensional, yes. He cannot play as a forward or a backman. does not kick enough goals.

He is not a team leader or someone that is worthy of being in the leadership group.

So what does he bring to this club that has for too long accepted mediocrity?

I for so long have stuck up for Travis - when he is at his best, he is breathtaking but when he is down, well...... it was time to deliver this year - when everything is stacked against you, injuries making you be the number one midfielder and you play like warren tredrea, disappointing...

Time for a change I say - good luck to him. Would hate to say at the end of his career, he could have been anything but........

i'm very satisfied with pick 14 for Johnstone...there are around 15 standouts this year, and its highly likely one very highly rated player will slip thru to 14.

johnstone is 28, and has not being able to consistently play good football. pick 14 for such an old and inconsistent player is a great deal.

if we get something extra (like a sweetner of a 3rd rounder) would be great as well

One good season does not a superstar make.

As much he is loved by some of our supporters, this is a Woewodin situation. Value for money and genuine output vs actual output.

Travis doesn't chase.

Travis doesn't tackle.

Travis doesn't set a good example for younger teammates.

Travis doesn't hit targets above the league average.

Travis doesn't make his opponent accountable.

Travis isn't accountable for his own opponent.

Travis doesn't buy into the team ethos.

At his best (2002) he was top 5 in the league. Sadly his attitude doesn't allow for that to be a consistant output.

Like a wise man once said, you've gotta get what you can when you can while you can.

A change of scenery might be the best thing for him, under a hardarse coach like Leigh Matthews he might produce the best footy of his career. And if he does, great, good luck to him.

I've met Travis, he's one of the nicest blokes you'll meet. But for both parties this is the best thing.

And as for the W comparison. There's a big difference. W got absolutely everything out of himself. Infact he probably overachieved for his career. TJ is 10 times the natural footballer than W, but W was 20 times the worker, and that will always be the different between the two.

TJ was put up because the club wanted another first round pick. Besides the players 23yo and under he is the only player we would get this first round pick for. If we secure one of Palmer, Morton, Cotchin or Ebert with pick 4 we adding quality to our upcoming young midfield in Mclean, Sylvia, Moloney, Jones, Bate, Bartram in a few years our young midfield group will be the best in the competition.

I know i wouldn't mind finishing my career in the nice weather of Brisbane with all those chicks in bikinis around. I hope it works out well for him, his given us ten years of his career which in himself he would know wasn't up to scratch. I think when he signed his last contract that if he didn't perform they would trade him.