AFL DRAFT SYSTEM

The HuLK

The draft system has too be changed! Teams shouldn`t be encourage to Tank as Carlton did this year. Its landed them Judd with them stating pick 3 will be used.. I really think the draft system has too be change too stop teams getting there "proirty picks" If Carlton didnt have pick 3, and we did.. they wouldn`t be in the position there in too so easily wrap up Judd.. Image they had too used pick 1 too get him.. that leaves us with the 2nd best Kid in the land.. (after Carlton uses pick 1 for Judd). I think teams should be motivated to win, even when the season has been poor...

Solutions?

Finished 9th ---- pick 1

Finished 10th pick 2 and so on...

This way teams are gana have a crack all season knowing if they just miss out, there gana be rewarded with a early pick..

I have no doubt Carlton knew about Judd long before the rest of us, the thought of them landing the best kid in the land, then the best player just isn`t fair!!

Thoughts?

Ur rite DEE-VOTED. Carlton have basically cheated in a way. But stuff them.... They will never be good anyway. They will have to give up way to much for Judd. I think the draft shoulb be a lottery between the bottom 4 teams. Try to keep it reasonably even. Havin a lottery between the bottom 8 teams would be a little unfair on the bottom team if they won 5 games as opposed to the team that finished 9th who won 11 or 12 games but missed out on percentage. It defeats the purpose really... But they need to scrap the priority pick in the national draft. It encourages the acceptance of mediocrity. Carlton fans were stoked there team were losing knowing what was at stake. Maybe they can have a priority pick in the pre season draft for an un contracted player. The point being that they still have to be able to afford 2 un contracted players. That would slow down there ability to pay top dollar for just 1 player and if they were fair dinkum they would try to gain 2 players at a reasonable price. Thoughts???...

Guest fatty
I have no doubt Carlton knew about Judd long before the rest of us, the thought of them landing the best kid in the land, then the best player just isn`t fair!!

Thoughts?

Carlton won their 4th game for the year in Round 11 (against Port of all teams) and I also think they're a better team than the 2nd-half of the season suggests. Conspiracy theories abound but you also have to factor in Dennis Pagan being stood down later in the season. Maybe he wasn't happy with the decisions made at the mid-season review?

There's nothing wrong with the current draft system and clubs can utilise it to their benefit so long as they're willing to bear the repercussions. Just as Chris Judd is entitled to seek out the best coin for himself.

Anyway, its not delivered yet and there's plenty more to come - not that I care anymore.

The draft system has too be changed! Teams shouldn`t be encourage to Tank as Carlton did this year. Its landed them Judd with them stating pick 3 will be used.. I really think the draft system has too be change too stop teams getting there "proirty picks" If Carlton didnt have pick 3, and we did.. they wouldn`t be in the position there in too so easily wrap up Judd.. Image they had too used pick 1 too get him.. that leaves us with the 2nd best Kid in the land.. (after Carlton uses pick 1 for Judd).

carlton wouldnt use pick 1 to draft judd, they would have to trade it for him, meaning we would still get the 3rd best kid...

It didn't help them, having one of the richest men in Australia as a president has saved Carlton. Judd auctioned himself to the highest bidder, he bluffed everyone to believe he wanted to play on the MCG and the clubs facilities were important but the end of teh day it came to to which club wanted to pay more.

From what I'm led to believe Carlton knew that Judd was coming home from a fair way back - not the mid-season break, but as far back as around the last 5 weeks of the H+A season.

Judd would have been at Carlton anyway. They are gaining the young kid ruckman. If they hadn't tanked the end of the season they would have ended up with either 2 or 3 pick (depending on the games they could've won). The advantage they have over Melbourne is $, with Kouta's contract ending (with a few others) they have lots of room under the cap. It is hard to compete when Melbourne have a better list than Carlton and thus has to spread the money around.

Carlton's training facilites aren't that state of the art either, so I believe that the choice was simply about money and he was cleverly playing the clubs against each other to maximise that.

Anyway Carlton is at least 3 years from finals, and they are going to loose some all too important draft picks this year on Judd..... Also groin injuries are a worry too, (look at the struggles Sylvia, Beamer and McLean are having) so WCE (and Melbourne and Co) maybe lucky they lost him.

The draft system is fine the way it is, name one club that has receive priority picks or picked up a superstar from another club in trade season that have one a flag in the past 15 years

Love the Demetriou impersonation.

I have a better idea, how about we stop rewarding Carlton for being cheaters, and then all will be fine.

Was listening to SEN and some buffoon rang in to say that now that Carlton have Judd and the number one pick, they finally get to break even for the draft picks they so rudely had taken off them.

Newsflash bozo, YOU CHEATED and you deserved to have those picks taken away.

Carlton is a scum club trying to buy their way to success. They've been doing it for years, and the sooner the AFL puts a stop to it, the better.

I still believe that teams who finish last deserve the best draft pick... unless that team is Carlton. :rolleyes: :angry:

The AFL needs all clubs to be competitive and the draft is one thing that helps clubs to get better. As I said I don't think any team that has received priority picks has won a flag in the past since they were introduced.

Judd would have been at Carlton anyway. They are gaining the young kid ruckman. If they hadn't tanked the end of the season they would have ended up with either 2 or 3 pick (depending on the games they could've won). The advantage they have over Melbourne is $, with Kouta's contract ending (with a few others) they have lots of room under the cap. It is hard to compete when Melbourne have a better list than Carlton and thus has to spread the money around.

Carlton's training facilites aren't that state of the art either, so I believe that the choice was simply about money and he was cleverly playing the clubs against each other to maximise that.

Anyway Carlton is at least 3 years from finals, and they are going to loose some all too important draft picks this year on Judd..... Also groin injuries are a worry too, (look at the struggles Sylvia, Beamer and McLean are having) so WCE (and Melbourne and Co) maybe lucky they lost him.

How are Carlton going to hang on the Gibbs, Murphy's (Kreuzers?) with Judd's salary eating into the cap the way it will. What happens at contract renewal time when their kids have established themselves and start asking for the money they will likely deserve. Either they'll get poached, underpaid or breach salary cap (again!). Here's hoping Carlton cripple themselves by paying iver the top money for the mercenary.

I have a better idea, how about we stop rewarding Carlton for being cheaters, and then all will be fine.

Was listening to SEN and some buffoon rang in to say that now that Carlton have Judd and the number one pick, they finally get to break even for the draft picks they so rudely had taken off them.

Newsflash bozo, YOU CHEATED and you deserved to have those picks taken away.

Carlton is a scum club trying to buy their way to success. They've been doing it for years, and the sooner the AFL puts a stop to it, the better.

I still believe that teams who finish last deserve the best draft pick... unless that team is Carlton. :rolleyes: :angry:

Jaded, that is the best post I have ever read - you have read my mind exactly. To add to this Carlton has never had success the hard way, they rely on top picks through tanking or poach the best talent fom other clubs (remember one Greg Williams - they couldn't see his talent under their own nose and then bought him back when someone else had done the hard work with him). When was the last time they identfied and developed their own talent. They only know two ways - you try to buy it and, if that doesn't work, you cheat.

They will never have respect outside there own club as they refuse to do the hard yards. Geelong earnt respect with their flag because they did it the hard way. I hope Melbourne can earn a flag the same way.

Guest fatty
They only know two ways - you try to buy it and, if that doesn't work, you cheat.

And the MFC have never been penalised or accused of that have they?

What Carlton have done has been very shrewd and very calculating with a little luck involved. They haven't pulled it off yet and noone knows the outcome. Its unfortunate for us but money talks and the rest of us and can just sit and seeth. If only we were that smart but it can still bite Carlton in the arse and I'm all for hoping.

............but I don't care anymore........

this whole idea suggested by dee-voted that the draft picks should go down from 9th spot is a good start to solving the problem. the opposite argument is that the teams on the bottom could fall further and further behind. i mean, imaging how bad carlton would be if they didnt get high draft picks in the last three years. (actually...they cant get much worse) but now with judd and kreuzer and the whole bag they will start to get better

the problem is, in the EPL they have relegations of the bottom three clubs i think it is, so there is always something to play for. thats what seperates them from us.

Tanking did not land Judd.

Richard Pratt and a truckload of $$$$ won Judd.

Tanking will help facilitate the move, but at the end of the day it doesnt matter what draft pick you have, money talks!

Perhaps some kind of prizemoney enticement could be dangled in front of clubs for their final ladder positioning.

If the difference in prize money for finishing 2nd bottom as opposed to wooden spoon was $1,000,000 I think you might see some of those teams languishing near the bottom competing harder to win instead of tanking for draft picks. What do people think of that?

Perhaps some kind of prizemoney enticement could be dangled in front of clubs for their final ladder positioning.

If the difference in prize money for finishing 2nd bottom as opposed to wooden spoon was $1,000,000 I think you might see some of those teams languishing near the bottom competing harder to win instead of tanking for draft picks. What do people think of that?

Not a bad idea... But there`s sides that dont tank, (Melbourne) who just had a bad yr of injuries, which would some what be unfair to fined them..