• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Top 3 draft picks are locked away

Yze_Magic

Um......there was no AFL in their day. $$$ make a decision easier and that is probably why they stayed in Victoria. The VFL was the premier competition way back then.

There was big cash under the table for topliners in their state comps, some went back. My point was that if you recruit a gun you do what it takes to keep them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, mitch was a father son, but ive heard they are regretting it (mitch has a bit of an attitude too)

mitch should be a at richmond next year, and where cale will be is up in the air, cant see him going past the top 6 or so, but i dont think he'll be at west coast

We should definitely be looking to acquire another top ten pick. From all reports, it sounds like Bailey was always going to trade Johnstone regardless of the Chris Judd situation. Whilst a part of me would like to see how he fares in the post-Daniher era, the reality is that the whole group aged 25+ years have had ample time to develop to the level of excellence and consistency that we have hoped- and in some cases as with Travis- expected.

Daniher had three or four attempts at building 'his' list in his ten year period as coach, and unfortunately for him (and all MFC supporters) it was not good enough to take us all the way. With that in mind, Bailey should be looking to move-on the inconsistent performers from that period and develop 'his' list from the current crop of youngsters already at our disposal, and through the draft. This is the perfect chance to build a side that can be seriously competetive in 2-3 years time, ala Hawthorn's aggressive trading for picks in 2004-05.

Whilst we certainly require both key forwards and defenders, we would be crazy not to go for the best availble at pick 4. If we had another top ten selection we could then look to draft on a "needs" basis, without the shadow of another Chris Lamb/ Luke Molan situation hanging over our heads.

yeah, mitch was a father son, but ive heard they are regretting it (mitch has a bit of an attitude too)

mitch should be a at richmond next year, and where cale will be is up in the air, cant see him going past the top 6 or so, but i dont think he'll be at west coast

Kruezer will go number one and Cotchin is near certainty to go number 2.

Cotchin was training with Richmond last preseason and from what Nathan Brown says, the tiggers are very impressed. (We all know NB has a say since his dad coaches them.)

I'm just wondering if Mitch Morton went father son, how come Cale isn't. Aren't they brothers?

Yes Travis has been a disappointment, not because he hasn't played great games, but because he hasn't done it on a consistent basis. Green on the other hand has always been consistent without being outstanding (except for a few early games).

My point is Johnstone's upside is greater than Green's, and in the hope that Bailey can get the best out of all players on our list, I'd make the hard call and trade Green.

Green may infact have a greater trade value than Johnstone, I know St.Kilda has expressed an interest in the past.

We could get an early second round pick for Green. That pick could then be traded for a younger player that is yet to establish himself at another club such as Drum (Fre), Prismall (Geel) or Tenance (Geel). I'd also trade Wheatley for a third round pick which can be traded for Meesen.

That leaves our original picks 4, 21, 37, 53, 69, 85 to be used on draft day.

IMO, we need a KPF, KPB, Fast midfielder and a ruckman

if we are able to obtain a 2nd top 10 pick, we can take 2 of those needs out. we trade for the others or get them in next years draft.

with Robbo signing on for another 2 years, and with the emergence of the future greatest all-time goal kicker in Newton, our KPF can go on hold until next year (unless Henderson slips to pick 21 ;) )

i reckon we go for our fast midfielder with the first pick, if we get another top 10 pick we should get Rance, and if Bellchambers is around (or maybe McEvoy, i can dream :rolleyes: ) at pick 21, get him.

That's not assuming we don't upgrade our 2nd round pick, or get another 2nd round pick through trade.

Yes Travis has been a disappointment, not because he hasn't played great games, but because he hasn't done it on a consistent basis. Green on the other hand has always been consistent without being outstanding (except for a few early games).

My point is Johnstone's upside is greater than Green's, and in the hope that Bailey can get the best out of all players on our list, I'd make the hard call and trade Green.

Green may infact have a greater trade value than Johnstone, I know St.Kilda has expressed an interest in the past.

We could get an early second round pick for Green. That pick could then be traded for a younger player that is yet to establish himself at another club such as Drum (Fre), Prismall (Geel) or Tenance (Geel). I'd also trade Wheatley for a third round pick which can be traded for Meesen.

That leaves our original picks 4, 21, 37, 53, 69, 85 to be used on draft day.

Frankly, if we traded Green and wound up with any of those 3 players I'd be pretty miffed. I'd rather trade Green and our second rounder for another 1st round pick, if we were going to trade Green at all. Picks outside of the top 25-30 this year are worth sweet FA. Top 10-15 picks are the way forward for us. If we can get 2 I'll be stoked. 3 (very unlikely) and I'd be in rapture.

Frankly, if we traded Green and wound up with any of those 3 players I'd be pretty miffed. I'd rather trade Green and our second rounder for another 1st round pick, if we were going to trade Green at all. Picks outside of the top 25-30 this year are worth sweet FA. Top 10-15 picks are the way forward for us. If we can get 2 I'll be stoked. 3 (very unlikely) and I'd be in rapture.

I agree but teams are not going to part with their first round picks. If we trade anybody, Johnstone included, we are looking at a second round pick. But by trading that second round pick for a youngster like those I mentioned we would be making the most of a shallow draft.

i think people will find that picks 2 and 3 are not locked in.

many phantom drafts have Palmer at pick 3. wouldnt be surprised if Rance got a look in.

for pick 4 it depends what we prioritize:

Ruckman- Mcevoy

Key forward- henderson

key back- Rance

midfielder- Morton/Masten/Palmer/Ebert...

any of these 7 i'd be stoked with.

up to CAC which of these he favours.

agree a second top 10 pick would be invaluable

Ruckman- Mcevoy

Key forward- henderson

key back- Rance

this is exactly why i advocate picking up a KPP with your first pick IF he is good enough, and in the same league as the others available (ie luke molan wasnt just a KP he was apparently a tough KPP).

there is one KPF and one KPD listed as goers for the top 7 or 8. they are harder to come by than any of the four mids who could make it...

i think people will find that picks 2 and 3 are not locked in.

many phantom drafts have Palmer at pick 3. wouldnt be surprised if Rance got a look in.

for pick 4 it depends what we prioritize:

Ruckman- Mcevoy

Key forward- henderson

key back- Rance

any of these 7 i'd be stoked with.

up to CAC which of these he favours.

agree a second top 10 pick would be invaluable

Yep, thats exactly how I've been thinking as well.

Ps. If the Doggies don't trade for a Key forward I think they'll grab Henderson.

P

Do we have any REAL under 18 watchers on Demonology? Not having a go at people but most people seem to be going based on what they've read elsewhere, one game (WA v Vic shown on Foxtel) and maybe some YouTube clips. Unfortunately I'm only going by the same.

But do we have anyone on here who really watches TAC Cup and juniors in other states closely and can give a bit more insight based on first hand knowledge?

Btw, I agree with others that we need to go for the best available with our first pick (we need stars in our team, regardless of what position they play) and would also love to trade for another top 10-15 pick. I love the sound of the Sydney trade.

I think we should draft a key foward or a gun midfielder with pick #4.

My reasons for this are that when i look around the league at gun players in the positions of either a backmen or a ruckman, were any of these guys actually top draft picks? I haven't done the appropriate research, so feel free to correct if i am wrong.

These are some of the top backmen. Glass, Rutten, Scarlett(father/son), Egan, Barry, Fletcher(father/son). Where any of these guys top draft picks?

The three best ruckmen this year were Cox, Lade and McIntosh. Fraser and White were both No 1. picks, but are not dominant ruckmen(hopefully Kruezer falls into this catergory).

My point is, i think that fowards and midfielders are a much safer bet for using such a high draft pick, as it seems to me that backmen and ruckmen can be developed from picks further down.

These are some of the top backmen. Glass, Rutten, Scarlett(father/son), Egan, Barry, Fletcher(father/son). Where any of these guys top draft picks?

The three best ruckmen this year were Cox, Lade and McIntosh. Fraser and White were both No 1. picks, but are not dominant ruckmen(hopefully Kruezer falls into this catergory).

Glass was pick 8 from memory.

Rutten Rookie

Scarlett/Fletcher F/S

Egan pick 62

Barry Pick 30's i think

McIntosh was pick 8 too.

You pick the best talent regardless of size. (If you pick the best KPP when there's better mids, u could end up with a Molan or a Tim Walsh)

If Rance is worthy of pick 4 so be it but there's big wraps on Ebert. Tagged but still did well. Showed fantastic leadership.

Palmer. Dominated the carnival and still slaying them in the WA. Impressive Midfield Goal kicker. (hmm probably not as good but...sounds familar to a certain somebody who was drafted to Weagles 6 years ago).

thats rediculous not drafting for backman, you will find (except the super freaks) that most kids in the junior ranks that play back make better forwards, they understand the work rate much better, and if your a KPB you know how hard you have to work to make a good fwd coz you've played on the good ones and played on the duds, providing you can kick a footy and take a grab I would have no hesitation drafting someone from a backline in the TAC cup etc.