Judd's Worth

w00dy

There is a better chance that we could get Wells than Judd.

We cannot afford JUDD!!!

I dispute that.

We've had Brown, Bizzell and Picket retire. All of those players would have been on circa 200-300k, i would've thought (correct me if I'm wrong, of course). So thats 600-700k free'd up. On top of that we've dropped Ward and Godfrey, who I imagine would have commanded 300-350k BETWEEN them. So all of a sudden, we've got some breathing space. I appreciate that there will be back-ended contracts, so some players will earn more in 2008 than in 2007, but not a ridiculous amount more.

If Robbo goes, and you can bet your bottom dollar the club is looking a little more tentatively at his contract now that Judd is available, we'd have even more space again.

In terms of trades, if thats what you're talking about; Carlton can offer pick 3, as opposed to our pick 4. Not a whole lot of difference. But where we can absolutely trump Carlton is in the ready-made player stakes. All the senior players Carlton have that WCE might want would likely be untouchable. I can't see WCE wanting Fevola, if Carlton were prepared to let him leave, since their off-field culture is terrible, and Fevola would deteriorate further in such a culture. On top of that, they have plenty of tall options up forward already.

Just my thoughts.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we some how win this dogfight and get chris judd what will it mean?

Positives

A superstar at our club

Speed in the midfield

CHRIS JUDD!

It means that trapper will get the 2nd best tag, and chooker the 3rd. WOW.

Gun leader.

Negatives

We may have to give to much

It could effect the other players in the club. A player is not bigger than the club.

We may have to give the captaincy to him straight away, which could upset possible future, and current captains of the club. e.g Neitz, and Mclean.

It can effect the 'team' enviroment, as mentioned in this thread http://demonland.nozzs.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7513

Just a few things to consider...

I dispute that.

We've had Brown, Bizzell and Picket retire. All of those players would have been on circa 200-300k, i would've thought (correct me if I'm wrong, of course). So thats 600-700k free'd up. On top of that we've dropped Ward and Godfrey, who I imagine would have commanded 300-350k BETWEEN them. So all of a sudden, we've got some breathing space. I appreciate that there will be back-ended contracts, so some players will earn more in 2008 than in 2007, but not a ridiculous amount more.

If Robbo goes, and you can bet your bottom dollar the club is looking a little more tentatively at his contract now that Judd is available, we'd have even more space again.

In terms of trades, if thats what you're talking about; Carlton can offer pick 3, as opposed to our pick 4. Not a whole lot of difference. But where we can absolutely trump Carlton is in the ready-made player stakes. All the senior players Carlton have that WCE might want would likely be untouchable. I can't see WCE wanting Fevola, if Carlton were prepared to let him leave, since their off-field culture is terrible, and Fevola would deteriorate further in such a culture. On top of that, they have plenty of tall options up forward already.

Just my thoughts.

Yes we have cleared a ton of cap room, but with all those players gone we still have to put more on. Yes they will not command contracts of Pickett and so forth but still.

But im more in the we cannot get him with trade. But I do not see Carlton giving up pick 1 (why would the eagles settle for 3) I don't see Collingwood as having anything to get Judd unless they traded their 1st rounder with Travis Cloke and Dale Thomas (won't happen) Essendon don't look to me to have anything of a chance either with just a 1st round pick..... but then who?

Believe me I want Judd, I really really really do. But we have never been the sort of club who goes after the big gun. My ideal trade week is some sort of 3 year deal that sends Robbo and our pick 21 for the doggies first rounder and Farren Ray.

Then our first rounder (pick 4), and Farren Ray plus a 3rd round pick for Judd.

Hell id give off pick 4, Doggies first and Ray for him.

However I believe it is unlikely that we will try this.

If we some how win this dogfight and get chris judd what will it mean?

Positives

A superstar at our club

Speed in the midfield

CHRIS JUDD!

It means that trapper will get the 2nd best tag, and chooker the 3rd. WOW.

Gun leader.

Negatives

We may have to give to much

It could effect the other players in the club. A player is not bigger than the club.

We may have to give the captaincy to him straight away, which could upset possible future, and current captains of the club. e.g Neitz, and Mclean.

Just a few things to consider...

Another thing to add to the positives... It would boost membership levels. It would be great to have a superstar at our club. Imagine how many youngsters would start barracking for the Dee's cause of him as well !!?

To the captaincy issue. It has already been said on AFL.com that he is not interested in it and that it's not something that will lure him. It said that he wants to gain respect from a club first.

And the last thing. I remember saying that Judd won't play for the Coasters next year. And now it is happening. Let me say one more thing...Which makes me shiver everytime I think about it.

Judd went to Caulfield Grammer as a kid and he was A MAD dee's supporter. His favourite player was the great Garry Lyon and throughout his youth it was his ambition to captain the dee's to a grand final. This is no lie. I am not making it up. And I know people will have a go at me for saying this. I'm not saying he still feels that way. But once upon a time, it was true. And I hope he still feels that way.

Davey's sugar daddy. XX

Yes we have cleared a ton of cap room, but with all those players gone we still have to put more on. Yes they will not command contracts of Pickett and so forth.

But im more in the we cannot get him with trade. But I do not see Carlton giving up pick 1 (why would the eagles settle for 3) I don't see Collingwood as having anything to get Judd unless they raded their 1st rounder with Travis Cloke and Dale Thomas (won't happen) Essendon don't look to me to have anything of a chance either with just a 1st round pick..... but then who?

Believe me I want Judd, I really really really do. But we have never been the sought of club who goes after the big gun. My ideal trade week is some sort of 3 year deal that send s Robbo and our pick 21 for the doggies first rounder and Farren Ray.

What about the last time our club got a new coach. We were about 1mm away from getting Peter Matera and he was a top gun.

D32 not trying to sound negative, but have you considered that it is Judd who wants to leave the club, not the club who wants to get rid of Judd, therefore it will be up to chris as to where he wants to go, not which trade offer is most appealing to W/C

Thoughts?

Yes we have cleared a ton of cap room, but with all those players gone we still have to put more on. Yes they will not command contracts of Pickett and so forth.

But im more in the we cannot get him with trade. But I do not see Carlton giving up pick 1 (why would the eagles settle for 3) I don't see Collingwood as having anything to get Judd unless they raded their 1st rounder with Travis Cloke and Dale Thomas (won't happen) Essendon don't look to me to have anything of a chance either with just a 1st round pick..... but then who?

Believe me I want Judd, I really really really do. But we have never been the sought of club who goes after the big gun. My ideal trade week is some sort of 3 year deal that send s Robbo and our pick 21 for the doggies first rounder and Farren Ray.

Yeah, Carlton won't give up Pick No. 1. That is certain. I think the other clubs are barking up the wrong tree. Collingwood and Essendon can throw piles of money at him, but he's not overly concerned about the money, and neither of those clubs, Collingwood especially, have much to offer WCE (that they would be prepared to part with).

This is between Melbourne and Carlton...

Press conference is soon isn't it?

He WILL NOT nominate a club at the press conference, so I don't think we should get too excited about it. He will do the honourable thing and listen to each club's offer first. Hopefully he is already leaning towards us.

D32 not trying to sound negative, but have you considered that it is Judd who wants to leave the club, not the club who wants to get rid of Judd, therefore it will be up to chris as to where he wants to go, not which trade offer is most appealing to W/C

Thoughts?

It doesn't particulary always matter, look at Nick Stevens. Port were happy to let Stevens go because Collingwood were offering [censored].

Although I do believe it was very stupid letting him go for nothing but hey, look at port now, they are ok. I just dont see us as the club with Judd next year..... but please, please, please, please Melbourne, prove me wrong.

Yes we have cleared a ton of cap room, but with all those players gone we still have to put more on. Yes they will not command contracts of Pickett and so forth but still.

But im more in the we cannot get him with trade. But I do not see Carlton giving up pick 1 (why would the eagles settle for 3) I don't see Collingwood as having anything to get Judd unless they traded their 1st rounder with Travis Cloke and Dale Thomas (won't happen) Essendon don't look to me to have anything of a chance either with just a 1st round pick..... but then who?

Believe me I want Judd, I really really really do. But we have never been the sort of club who goes after the big gun. My ideal trade week is some sort of 3 year deal that sends Robbo and our pick 21 for the doggies first rounder and Farren Ray.

Hell id give off pick 4, Doggies first and Ray for him.

Melbourne was involved in one of the biggest coups in the 80's in getting 2 of the biggest names to the club - Peter Moore and Kelvin Templeton. Moore was a gun and won his Brownlow with the Dees but unfortunately the medical staff didn't do their homework on Templeton - his knees and ankles were gone and he could only kick about 40 metres and was a big waste of money.

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=2...mp;newsId=51204

That's Judd's way of pretty much saying "Give up Carlton."

He isn't going there. I think that right now, Collingwood, Essendon and Melbourne have the best chance of getting him, Collingwood and Essendon because of finances and Melbourne because of his support before he went to WC.

I think we really have a very good chance of getting this kid...

Someone over at Big Footy (not necessarily the best place to look at for quotes or opinions) said that it might be a change in fate; Barrassi leaving Melbourne in 1965 ala Judd leaving WC in 2007.

New coach, new superstar player.

I don't want to get my hopes up because being a Melbourne supporter means shot dreams, but gee, wouldn't it be grand...?

God I wanna watch the press conference live on nine msn but nooooo my boss won't [censored] off for 30 seconds!!!!

And yes the boss is [censored] enough to whinge about that!!!

I think the PC is over now isn't it?

Judd to break the Norm Smith Curse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Sox style, down in the Prelim, 50 points at half time. Judd has been benched since early in the 1st with a hammy. Shot and gone entering 3rd. Judd returns, leads us to victory.

Smash it in the GF easily by 10 goals, Judd BOG.

I'm about 5km's ahead of myself right now...

Are Melbourne any chance of getting Judd?

Judd didn't give anything in the press conference.

Basically says he's coming home to be closer to family and friends.

How great West Coast is.

Disappointed to leave his mate in Cox, Kerr, Glass, Embley. (no mention of Cousins :rolleyes: )

Will meet with other clubs and announce his club of preference next week.

Meeting about or having Surgery on thursday.

Looking to do no media in Melbourne.

The club of choice has to have signs of success in the future.

The club of choice has to have signs of success in the future.

imo that rules out richmond and carlton. (and st kilda the way their postition is off field)

other vic clubs in the bottom 8: WB, essendon, us.

i think we have more up side that essendon, and i dont think the bulldogs could get him...

i think we are in a good position here.

smokey for me is hawthorn or the kangas, but im not sure if they will have what it takes to bargain with WC. geelong will be paying their own players too much, and so will collingwood imo.

Anyone agree with this statement??

By "giving" Carlton pick one and three we may have cost ourselves any chance of trading for Judd. Coupled with that the fact the we have lost a top 20 draft pick and gone from pick 2 to 4 has made our trade position very difficult.

I tend to believe that playing Robertson, Johnstone etc (all players under injury clouds) in round 22 will come back to hurt us.

I did not think it was wise to play anything close to our best available team in round 22 to allow for a loss. Now I am sure.

Yes and no. WJ and myself were bleating all week to play our untried players like garland and weetra and a couple of seniors could have played with Sandy. Sandy would then have at least made the prelim final. As far as the dees go as I also said if we had played my wife at Full forward and my Mother in law at CHF we would still have won. Carlton would not have lost even if we hadn't turned up. It was always going to be a Melbourne win. If we don't get Judd I hope the Blues do get him and that the costs in salary and the trade are horrendous for them. Remember the Eagles will want to trade Judd to a club where he can't hurt them in the finals and the Blues won't be there for years. if they sacrifice good players and high draft picks it will be harder for them especially if Judd's injury lingers. I can't see him going to Pies or Hawks. Blues if we fail are the club.

imo that rules out richmond and carlton. (and st kilda the way their postition is off field)

other vic clubs in the bottom 8: WB, essendon, us.

i think we have more up side that essendon, and i dont think the bulldogs could get him...

i think we are in a good position here.

smokey for me is hawthorn or the kangas, but im not sure if they will have what it takes to bargain with WC. geelong will be paying their own players too much, and so will collingwood imo.

Ok the Hawks definately have bargaining power with that incredibly young list. We do seem to have a chance but really.... will he think we have a strong future, I mean we did come second bottom.....

We do in my opinion seem to be in a great position, he barracked for us, his family might, we have pick 4, we have had recent retirements which will have given us some cap space. Lets just hope, and pray, and threaten. Lets just get Judd!!!!

Melbourne was involved in one of the biggest coups in the 80's in getting 2 of the biggest names to the club - Peter Moore and Kelvin Templeton. Moore was a gun and won his Brownlow with the Dees but unfortunately the medical staff didn't do their homework on Templeton - his knees and ankles were gone and he could only kick about 40 metres and was a big waste of money.

& could have had Lockett & Frawley! B)

I guess we are about to find out whether or not blood is thicker than water and whether Chris Judd's heart is still really with the Demons. He has achieved virtually every team and personal achievement possible with the Eagles and now he can decide whether his second and probably final football home will be a personal mission or purely a business decision.

Virtually every footballer barracks for an AFL team in their formative years and probably very few end up ever playing for the team they barracked for as a kid. Very few though have also achieved as much as Judd has by the age of 24. Having reached the pinnacle he is now in a position to decide if he will forever regret never playing for the team he followed. Not many players are ever in such a strong bargaining position - he is.

He can decide now just how red and blue his blood really is by declaring Melbourne as his team of choice. While this doesn't guarantee he will get to us, it does flag where his true feelings lie. Then the officials of both clubs will have to make it happen. He can still negotiate his salary. While there may be better options trade-wise and salary wise for him, I feel West Coast won't be unreasonable if Judd says he wants to go to the Dees. He has given them everything he has. Financially he will be looked after wherever he goes, but for him I don't think money will be the overriding factor.

If he doesn't nominate us, then while that doesn't mean he won't come to us, nor does it mean we are not his preferred option but I think, publicly at least, it will then be seen as purely a business decision. Nick Stevens nominated Collingwood as his team of choice a few years back but ended up at Carlton. His preferred option was at least transparent - if not possible.

Melbourne is about to enter a new post Daniher era, with a coach from clubs of proven successful backgrounds in Essendon and Port Adelaide, although his own coaching credentials are still to be evaluated. We are not a genuinely bottom team having achieved 3 years of successive finals footy till this year. Therefore the expectation of a quick turnaround for someone used to success is not unrealistic. The number 3 is available, the captaincy batten is about to be passed. The ingredients are there.

I, as one of many, hold great hopes that he will declare his undying love for us, but if that does not happen, I will be disappointed but not surprised and will quickly move on. Football is such a business now that allegiances are paper thin, there when the paper is signed, but gone when that signature expires.

Allegiances these days are probably more forged from playing for a club and one day returning to that club, a la Chris Connolly, the club that was actually bled for, rather than dribbled for from having worn a red and blue bib in the cradle.

As supporters we maintain our blind allegiances, I'm not sure the players do.

However, let's hope romance is not dead, because as romances go - this would be right up there!

Otherwise in the tradition of Gone With The Wind - which he will have - I won't give a damn! Or will try not to.

Chris Judd - the rest is up to you.