I hope our Blokes were watching today!

grazman

OK I'll blow my own trumpet here... at the start of the year I at least picked Geelong to finish in the four.... but I'd picked North for the spoon as well.

Two years ago Geelong supporters were questioning the value of Bartel and whether he shouldn't be traded, last year they were hopeless, couldn't win and many of their supporters were calling for a clean out. Ling was too slow, Enright and Corey were OK, but not world betters.... etc. Many supporters crashed into despair at seeing a team many believed should be challenging for the top four, dwelling in the bottom four.

As Allan Jeans once said 90% of the game is played above the shoulders....The change this year is that they play like a team - they play for each other.

Let's get switched on for 08, immediate improvement can come from self belief and hard work.

There is no reason why we can't finish in the top 4 next year, if a team like the Roos did. They are seriously one of the most average sides going around.

Geelong were fantastic today and as much as I hate them, they look like they'll win the flag easily.

What Geelong have that we don't, is a very very very good backline. Their forward line is good, their midfield is strong, but IMO it's their defence that sets them apart.

There is no reason why we can't finish in the top 4 next year, if a team like the Roos did. They are seriously one of the most average sides going around.

Geelong were fantastic today and as much as I hate them, they look like they'll win the flag easily.

What Geelong have that we don't, is a very very very good backline. Their forward line is good, their midfield is strong, but IMO it's their defence that sets them apart.

You're sort of right, Jaded! They have some exceptional defenders (Scarlett, Milburn especially), but it is their defensive pressure right across the ground that makes the difference. Blokes like Chapman and Ling are great both ways, as is most of their line up. Even Ottens has improved his defensive work. Ablett, Bartel etc are absolute stars but they do it both defensively and offensively. When your stars play this way, everyone else follows - it's exactly the way the great Hawthorn teams used to play - Dunstall and Brereton, Platten etc had the ability to hurt both ways. It's hard to see anyone beating them now!

Same here, Deesrock, though I'm ashamed to adsmit it.

Didn't the Umps favour Geelong in the first half!!! Every 50:50 went to the Cats, and time and time again they made the wrong call on "no 15....play on!"

Once the game had been killed off, the umpiring evened up. The initial favouritism had NOTHING to do with who was in harder for the ball.

The holding the ball decisions by the umpires not only showed a lack of understanding of football, but a low intellect. Strong words, but I really thought the umpires did a shocking job, and should be omitted from future finals.

You have to say that the last three REALLY dominant teams in one season over the past decade or so have been Carlton (95 - 2 losses), Essendon (2000 - 1 loss) and Geelong this year. Yeah, the Lions and Eagles dominated for a bit, but moreso in finals than in the finals. They were beatable, where as the three teams I just mentioned had been close to unbeatable throughout the season.

My point? All three had exceptional backlines. No, I'll rephrase that. An OUTSTANDING backline.

Didn't the Umps favour Geelong in the first half!!! Every 50:50 went to the Cats, and time and time again they made the wrong call on "no 15....play on!"

I have been watching to see if anyone else was annoyed about todays umpiring.

It was a joke!

I thought the umpires had been pretty good all year.

To the point that I thought they were going against the mob.

After watching the Swans get dudded by home-town Free kicks, I thought it was an anomaly and that they would be back to their best.

They demoralized the Roos with their (to my eyes) obvious bias.

By midway through the second quarter, when I believe the Roos were equal to the cats, it was the one-sided decisions that swung the game.

The roos were beaten. I thought it was dis-graceful.

Same here, Deesrock, though I'm ashamed to adsmit it.

J Jack C - I am not proud of myself either but GO POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

I had visions of the Roos winning the cup and Dean Laidley grabbing a line from Mark Williams "Wayne Carey.........YOU WERE WRONG!"

Once the game had been killed off, the umpiring evened up. The initial favouritism had NOTHING to do with who was in harder for the ball.

That was the most frustrated I have been watching an umpiring performance in a game that did not involve Melbourne. We seem to have gone from 2-4 holding the ball decisions a game to 10-15. Absolutely ridiculous.

Gary Ablett Jr is also now a protected species.

That said, the cats were awesome all over the park and there is no doubt in my mind that Matthew Scarlett is the most important player in that club.

Guest The Tiger Of Old

Who gives a rats ass about the umpiring???

Geelong smacked them all over the park! Umpiring doesn't make a 106 point difference.

I thought the umpiring was ok. If your first to the footy, you get the free kick.

Plus, the Kangaroos were out classed all over the ground so they had to give away free kicks to slow down the tempo.

Watch a replay of the first half again, "Tiger". When the game was in the balance, for the first one and a half quarters, North couldn't take a trick. A North supporter on talk-back said it was 23 to 3 frees at one stage. That's how it seemed. And remember, this was when the game was in the balance. Geelong weren't first in every time at that stage.

Your trite comment about umpiring not making 106 points difference was pre-empted in my post, and in Kit Walker's.

My point was that the umpires turned the game early,and played a much bigger part than they should have in North's demise.

You SHOULD give a "rat's a..." about umpiring. It should be at the same standard as the AFL footballers.. On Sunday it was abysmal, and wrecked the match.

Watch a replay of the first half again, "Tiger". When the game was in the balance, for the first one and a half quarters, North couldn't take a trick. A North supporter on talk-back said it was 23 to 3 frees at one stage. That's how it seemed. And remember, this was when the game was in the balance. Geelong weren't first in every time at that stage.

Your trite comment about umpiring not making 106 points difference was pre-empted in my post, and in Kit Walker's.

My point was that the umpires turned the game early,and played a much bigger part than they should have in North's demise.

Couldn't agree more Jack.