• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

It is time to look forward

Number 2

Why is Brad Green any more core than Bruce? Green wont command a price. IMO TJ and Robbo are the two players who might offer something?

What club in their right mind would want Roberston, who is chronically injured and just a tad self-centred and whose impact on the game continues to decrease, at their club?

I don't mind keeping him around at Melbourne until he sees out his contract, but realistically, he won't find too many other clubs that would even show a glimmer of interest.

This is just my own opinion...

You make a good point about Miller though, RR - everyone just seems to have assumed that because he's from Queensland, Brisbane will naturally want him.

Personally, I really want to hold onto Miller as a surety on the list.

Sheedy or whoever takes over as coach must either NEVER play him in the backline again and just keep persisting with him at CHF, or vice versa, giving him a proper chance to develop one of these roles instead of chop-changing all the time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What club in their right mind would want Roberston, who is chronically injured and just a tad self-centred and whose impact on the game continues to decrease, at their club?

I don't mind keeping him around at Melbourne until he sees out his contract, but realistically, he won't find too many other clubs that would even show a glimmer of interest.

This is just my own opinion...

Who wouldn't want a small forward who consistently kicks around 40 goals a year, is great to watch, and very difficult to match up on?

West Coast, Geelong, Hawthorn, Kangas and the list goes on and on. Most clubs would jump at the opportunity to take Robbo.

To say he is chronically injured is rubbish. Until last year, he has never had a long term injury. And any injury he's had since has been an impact injury.

Rhino, I think you underestimate Bruce's value. You forget that he is incredibly overrated by the football world. We know his flaws, but he is seen as a very versatile and talented player, and he could fill gaps at almost all clubs. He'll demand a good price, as will TJ and Robbo.

We won't get much for White or Green, although I still maintain that Green would kick 80+ goals a season if he played as a premanent forward for West Coast. I hope our new coach sees that his best position is up forward, and plays him there on a regular basis. His talents are going to waste in the midfield, where he has minimal impact most games.

Cause of the year we have had I don't think we will be able to trade anyone. Green, Johnstone and Bruce have been around long enough now to suggest that they have very little improvement left and would a team give a top 20 to 30 draft pick ? I would doubt that a club would risk it. White will be going nowhere he is 30 and we already have problems in the ruck getting rid of White would turn our ruck division into a joke and you would virtually have to give away Miller he is no bargaining tool. I think we just have to prey that our recruiting manager can do what he is payed to do and recruit some quality kids to fill the holes we have. Teams aren't willing to give away players that they think can play so it would be a waste of time recruiting rejects that can't get a game they will not make much of a difference to our side. If Fremantle have had enough of Farmer and got rid of him and he was available in the pre season draft I would definately pick him up I think he would be worth the risk. Trade week is overrated unless a quality player wants to leave his club then I wouldn't even look at them. We just have to rely on getting the fittest we have ever been, hope that we don't cop injuries and hopefully have a favourable draw and start playing the kids and cut our list dramatically so we stop playing our fringe experienced players who let us down time and time again.

I would say no trades this year. First year of a new coach. Go with what we already have with several of the young players set to step up. Add some quality picks and all looks good for the future.

Three players to move on in the next 2 or so years.

Junior Mac - Brock, Maloney, Jones should step up. Odds are we will pick up another good mid with our first pick.

White - A lot of ruckmen in this draft. Should get one with our priority or 2nd round pick. Hopefully a new coach can get improvement from Jamar and/or PJ.

Neitz - Juice, Dunn or Bate.

The quality of our young players is well known and we will get a lot of improvement from them.

Also a new coach may later go with someone like Bate to CHB who would add heaps of class to that area if Juice and Dunn come good up forward. Also a new coach as someone else said may give Miller a boost. Maybe Dunn will fill out and play back. We have lots of options.

We do lack a quality 195/96 cm key position as pointed out earlier. Fergo is thin and Holland almost done. But we have to go with what we have.

Good point.

He is a hard mark up and a good 3rd up forward for some club.

For the reasons you give thats why I want to explore ways of getting off our list.

We should not be a pension plan for spent self indulgent players.

Why is Brad Green any more core than Bruce? Green wont command a price. IMO TJ and Robbo are the two players who might offer something?

The dominance of the interstate ruckman. Where???? Last I saw Geelong were clearly on top and it has something to do with the midfield. Ruckman are important but their criticality is overrated.

I completely respect your opinion Rhino and agree that the Freo trade does not do them justice.

IMO Brad Green is more versatile than the other players you have listed. He has the ability to go forward and play as a leading forward and can create off half back. Also his foot skills are far superior to Bruce and I personally think his leadership is also an improving quality.

The dominance of interstate Ruckman comment meant that majority of Interstate teams had AA calibre ruckmen (Lade, Cox, Everitt, Sandilands). The best of the Vic ruckmen is young Hamish McIntosh and although he has had a great season the 4 players I list are dominant in my opinion.

Sorry for not being clearer with mt comments.

I would say no trades this year. First year of a new coach. Go with what we already have.

We have to make some sort of trade.

I remember at the end of trade period last year my older brother said, we will win about 4 games next year. I said why? He replied, you have always got to make a change. At least one.

silly to trade bruce, green on johnstone for less than a 1st rounder. a 2nd rounder is a complete gamble in this years draft and we could potentially be swapping our most skllful player (whos still only 27yrs old) for some 17 yr old who might come good, might not. REDICULOUS!

I've suggested these 2 already but...

Cameron Wood for Brad Miller and pick 20

Ryan Murphey for pick 18.

That's a 10 yr A-grade ruckmna and a future FF replacement for neitz and Murphey is proper FF key position height (196cm).

Other players to look at are Prissmall and Byrnes from Geelong.

White cannot be traded. hes too important and at 30 yrs old wont hold much market value.

We should 100% look at trading Bruce if we can get a pick around pick 8-12. any lower than a 1st round pick would be silly and would rather keep him

Why would Brisbane want Miller for a rcukmen who they have spent a couple of years on already just to hand him to someone else. STUPID!

Or perhaps they could send Miller to CHF and move Brown to defence to take the gorrilas....

Please think of all the trades you are suggesting from the other teams point of view.

Why would Brisbane want Miller for a rcukmen who they have spent a couple of years on already just to hand him to someone else. STUPID!

Well they have an excess of ruckmen (altho Lethal likes to have plenty) - Charman, MacDonald, Wood and Leuenberger so it is possible that they would trade, but I agree not for Miller, we would have to offer something very good.

Cameron Bruce, Chris Johnson & 3rd Round Draft Pick – Essendon

Kepler Bradley, Lovett & 2nd round pick – Melbourne

Johnstone & 5th Round Draft Pick – Adelaide

2nd Round Draft Pick – Melbourne

Miller – Brisbane

4th Round Pick – Melbourne

If you look at the trade

wood: for: miller and pick 18

you will notice it is not simply miller for wood. there is a 1st round draft pick attached (priority)

most people on this board seem to think that bruce and johnstone isnt worth a 1st rounder.

im proposing we offer a 1st rounder PLUS a homegrown qlder who is only 24, 194cm, 95kg with 70 games experience who has alot of potential to be improved by a new coach and a new envt.

it actually seems like quite a reasonable trade to me.

read to full post before commented idiot

FCS, the silly season has started early here hasn't it.

To go through some of the possible trades mentioned, my take is:

1. Cameron Bruce - Re-signed this year to end of 2010. A club taking him on would have to match or better his salary which I believe would be heavily backended in 2010 to coincide with him going on to the veteran's list. Most versatile player on Melbourne's list and would have high currency for a top 4-6 side wanting a premiership. Possible trade - late first round pick or 2nd round + a "maybe" kid.

2. Travis Johnstone & Brad Green - Put these two together because they are of similar value. Johnstone is more skilled while Green is more consistent. My view is their value would be about the same as Bruce's. The problem with trading any of these three is the dearth of quality in the 25-28 year age bracket. Needs to be something special to trade any of them (ie Judd)

3. Mark Jamar - Big bodied ruckman have been traded at over the odds recently but they have generally been good number 2 ruckmen or promising youngsters. A real possibility maybe for an upgraded pick (early 4th round to mid-late 2nd round would be a win in my view), particularly if the new coach is looking at drafting a ruckman high, promoting Neaves or both.

4. Brad Miller - Ambitious to think we could get something (anything) for him. I'd like to see him have a year under a new coach just to see what happens as I think there are enough to delist in front of him anyway.

talk about shooting yourself in the foot. giving up arguably our best two players for 2 second round picks, jeff farmer (a lunatic) and youngster who'll take 3-4 years to mature.

these are 3 of THE DUMBEST trades in history. it gives me great pleasure at these times to know that CAC is in charge of recruiting/trading and not people who post here.

getting rid of green, bruce and TJ, would leave this club on its knees. great youth, fast ageing veterans and no one in between.

why would geelong want white? they already have 3 ruckmen who are all of 1st team quality.

most of this is moot because a) trades just dont happen anymore, B) are largely overrated, and B) this club isn't trigger happy, but some of these suggestions are completely ridiculous.

Well said CD!

I completely respect your opinion Rhino and agree that the Freo trade does not do them justice.

IMO Brad Green is more versatile than the other players you have listed. He has the ability to go forward and play as a leading forward and can create off half back. Also his foot skills are far superior to Bruce and I personally think his leadership is also an improving quality.

The dominance of interstate Ruckman comment meant that majority of Interstate teams had AA calibre ruckmen (Lade, Cox, Everitt, Sandilands). The best of the Vic ruckmen is young Hamish McIntosh and although he has had a great season the 4 players I list are dominant in my opinion.

Sorry for not being clearer with mt comments.

No 2, FWIW, I dont think Everitt and Sandilands have had good years. In fact they have been moderate. Sandilands has no mobility around the ground and for all his height advantage, Freo have been crud in the clearances. Why?

In addition, when WCE went through their lean patch, Cox was racking stacks of possessions so where was his dominance?

Both answers are that despite a dominating ruckman, the lack of an effective midfield cruels the work of a good ruckman. Ruck dominance without the winning midfield is overrated.

My assement on who most likely to be traded, is based on performance on previous years, age and the future.

Ive broken it down into 3 Sections. Assuming that everyone is 100% fit.

a) Automatic selections (Keepers) - Bell, Bruce, Carroll, Davey, Godfrey, Green, Trav Johntson, Jones, McLean, Moloney, Neitz, Rivers, Robertson, Sylvia, Whelan, White.

B) Youngsters (Keepers - Still Developing) - Batram, Bate, Buckley, Dunn, Frawley, Garland, Newton, Pettard

(Maybe keepers) - Bode, Hayes, Hughes, Neaves, Neville, Weetra

c) Possible Trade Bait or Delisting - Bizzell, Brown, Ferguson, Holland, Jamar, C Johnson, P Johnson, Miller, Pickett, Ward, Warnock, Yze.

Note all of those that are possible trade bait have been constantly in and out of the team.

My assement on who most likely to be traded, is based on performance on previous years, age and the future.

Ive broken it down into 3 Sections. Assuming that everyone is 100% fit.

a) Automatic selections (Keepers) - Bell, Bruce, Carroll, Davey, Godfrey, Green, Trav Johntson, Jones, McLean, Moloney, Neitz, Rivers, Robertson, Sylvia, Whelan, White.

B) Youngsters (Keepers - Still Developing) - Batram, Bate, Buckley, Dunn, Frawley, Garland, Newton, Pettard

(Maybe keepers) - Bode, Hayes, Hughes, Neaves, Neville, Weetra

c) Possible Trade Bait or Delisting - Bizzell, Brown, Ferguson, Holland, Jamar, C Johnson, P Johnson, Miller, Pickett, Ward, Warnock, Yze.

Note all of those that are possible trade bait have been constantly in and out of the team.

I don't see one player on your trade/delist list that any club would want, other than PJ, and we don't need to be giving up another ruckman now. PJ will be alright, ruckman always take longer to develop and this has been his first full year of playing regular AFL footy and he has done alright.

If Melbourne trade anything which they prob should. They will not trade (against popular belief on here) your Bruce, Green, Carrol, T Johnstone etc.

They will only trade draft picks and fringe players. Rest assure Melbourne will not take Hawthorn route, they believe they can bounce back quick, so good players will not be traded. That is unless a Judd becomes available. And thats a big UNLESS.

Expect pick 20 to be traded somewhere.

Guest bWell

Melbourne FC was one of the only teams in the AFL to make no trade's at all for the 2007 season.

This was due to bad judgement of the board & the coaching staff. Other teams have got better but look at the Demons, sitting 2nd bottom above of Richmond (who I might add beat us). Things look bright for every club & they've been able to take something away for next year. We don't have much going for us. Things are looking bleak as our fella's are only getting older & with a year like this one - Would they have the drive to continue??

I know we have had a lot of injuries this year but we need to look forward. We need to change things up in a big way!

Basically, we need to trade for the 2008 season. No questions about it. I believe Melbourne need atleast 4-5 new players from other clubs (not including the draft & rookie list) for us to fight back from this sad, & pathetic year.

There is talks of Fremantle's Ryan Murphy & yes I think he would be a great player for Melbourne.

Who else is out there? I want names!

Trade Bait & dee-listing is a big discussion I know but here is a few name's for you to have a think about;

1. Simon Godfrey.

2. Jeff White.

3. Nathan Brown.

4. Aaron Davey.

5. Paul Wheatley.

6. Ben Holland.

7. Daniel Ward.

8. Chris Johnson.

9. Brad Miller.

10. Ryan Ferguson.

11. Matthew Warnock.

12. Nathan Carroll.

This list of course could go on but, there's 12 to start with...

What are our options?

Melbourne FC was one of the only teams in the AFL to make no trade's at all for the 2007 season.

This was due to bad judgement of the board & the coaching staff. Other teams have got better but look at the Demons, sitting 2nd bottom above of Richmond (who I might add beat us). Things look bright for every club & they've been able to take something away for next year. We don't have much going for us. Things are looking bleak as our fella's are only getting older & with a year like this one - Would they have the drive to continue??

Grats on your first post!

Don't agree with you on this bwell, I'm pretty sure that the club did try to land some deals but just because none stuck doesn't mean we failed. I'd prefer to have no deals and keep our low picks rather than to complete a 'panic' trade at the last hour. I still believe that building a team through draft picks is the way to go forward, with the odd trade to compliment the team.

My trade list are:

J.White

R.Robertson

C.Bruce

T.Johnstone

I wouldn't trade all of them though and I would only accept one if we were to benefit from the deal ie it would have to be pretty good.

You need to offer quality to get quality.

I know we have had a lot of injuries this year but we need to look forward. We need to change things up in a big way!

Basically, we need to trade for the 2008 season. No questions about it. I believe Melbourne need atleast 4-5 new players from other clubs (not including the draft & rookie list) for us to fight back from this sad, & pathetic year.

There is talks of Fremantle's Ryan Murphy & yes I think he would be a great player for Melbourne.

Who else is out there? I want names!

Trade Bait & dee-listing is a big discussion I know but here is a few name's for you to have a think about;

1. Simon Godfrey.

2. Jeff White.

3. Nathan Brown.

4. Aaron Davey.

5. Paul Wheatley.

6. Ben Holland.

7. Daniel Ward.

8. Chris Johnson.

9. Brad Miller.

10. Ryan Ferguson.

11. Matthew Warnock.

12. Nathan Carroll.

This list of course could go on but, there's 12 to start with...

What are our options?

Congrats on the first post bwell.

It was an insightful and passionate first.

I agree some trades were needed just to keep the excitment and to keep people on their toes.

I think everyone who is suggesting trade Bruce, Johnstone, Green are crazy. Unless it involves something special, ie. Judd.

But I can understand why bwell is suggesting more trades, out of a year of drafted kids you are lucky to have one be a good player. And there have been plenty of duds drafted high. People love talking about getting a good 18 year old kid. But surely you prefer an AFL ready 22 year old kid. Unless you want to wait another 4 years until we are any good. Good reading bwell.

I'm sure players that can't even make our 22 are reaaaaaaaaaal effective trade bait.

Brown, Holland, Bizzell, and Ward aren't particularly good players - and they'll all be the wrong side of 30. Yze and Pickett are also coming to the end.

That leaves PJ and Jamar, our second and third rucks. Neaves isn't getting first ruck at Sandy over those guys, so even if he gets promoted he'll still be developing. I think that, should we delist one of PJ/Jamar, we'll need to be picking someone up who can ruck at AFL level. Otherwise we're putting our fate in the hands of the fitness of White and one of PJ/Jamar. Who rucks if one of those goes down? The green Neaves? What about after that?

Miller, CJ, and to some extent Ferg perhaps have value. However, we obviously don't rate them too highly if they can't get a regular gig in an injury-decimated cellar-dweller team. Who are we going to get in return? Unlikely to nab someone that's going to make a big impact or be much better...

Effective trade bait?

To me, that automatically makes me think of non-KPP players, as with our list I don't think we can or are able to trade away KPP players. It also makes me think of guys who are older than the McLean/Bate era, which is where I feel our serous flag aspirations lie. Who fits that criteria? Bruce, TJ, Green (albeit younger than the former two), and maybe Robertson.

I'd be looking for younger players who are going to be around for the McLean/Bate era, and who can play roles that we lack players for.

You need to offer quality to get quality.

Exactly right. Gone are the days where a team gets seriously screwed by the other in a trade.

To get quality you need to give quality (quality in the other teams eyes anyway)

No point trading for the sake of trading.

However, we didn't make one trade last year, and look where we are now. I'm not suggesting that this is because of the lack of involvement in trade week, but their might be some more action on the MFC front come trade week this year.

Ryan Murphey for pick 18.

That's a 10 yr A-grade ruckmna and a future FF replacement for neitz and Murphey is proper FF key position height (196cm).

Murphy is only 192cm, the same height as Bate and Dunn, both of whom are generally thought to be too short to hold down a key position. He should not be trageted for trade IMO.