Port Melbourne v Sandringham

whelan45

bar his kicking Bruce has not deserved to be dropped.

id love to see newton just get a game, i wouldn't expect much but i think a taste of the big time on the likes of Michael or Fletcher would make him at least realize what is required to make it at AFL level.

bar his kicking Bruce has not deserved to be dropped.

id love to see newton just get a game, i wouldn't expect much but i think a taste of the big time on the likes of Michael or Fletcher would make him at least realize what is required to make it at AFL level.

Well Netwon was fantastic again in the third but the most encouraging for the day was the little talk he received from Mark Williams at 3/4 time. I didn't hear what he said but Newton responded with a nod and went straight to the bench. A really great sign that he will be picked next week. It is a 5 day turnaround and resting the last quarter will really freshen him up.

Chris Johnson, Buckley and Dunn all put their case forward.

And Garland was impressive also.

I think Newton will be in red and blue on Friday, don't know how they could not pick him!

Well Netwon was fantastic again in the third but the most encouraging for the day was the little talk he received from Mark Williams at 3/4 time. I didn't hear what he said but Newton responded with a nod and went straight to the bench. A really great sign that he will be picked next week. It is a 5 day turnaround and resting the last quarter will really freshen him up.

Chris Johnson, Buckley and Dunn all put their case forward.

And Garland was impressive also.

I think Newton will be in red and blue on Friday, don't know how they could not pick him!

deja vu

Best news I've heard all weekend!

Would you like to give us an exact run-down of everything he did today?

I'm interested in things like goals, marks, work off the ball, body language... anything at all that you think all of us Newton-obsessed kids might enjoy hearing.

Best news I've heard all weekend!

Would you like to give us an exact run-down of everything he did today?

I'm interested in things like goals, marks, work off the ball, body language... anything at all that you think all of us Newton-obsessed kids might enjoy hearing.

agree i want to know what his work off the ball was like and what his second efforts and second leads were like if any.

deja vu

If i may make some observations. Daniher, Curran, Riley and Fagan were all there.

Buckley, got plenty of it more so in the second half and was ok, without dominating

Newton, absolutely killed them in the second quarter, was good in the first, didnt do much in the third, and i think was rested in the last. played no part in the last and did have an ice pack on his groin. not sure whether it was serious, but i doubt it. id suggest he is a dead set certainty for next week.

Whelan played really really well for most of the game and looked set for a recall, i thought he was being rested in the last ready for friday night, however i saw him holding his wrist and was favouring his wrist after the game when congratulating everyone. he will not play this weekend, probably should miss a couple, although i didnt see the injury on field he looked very proppy post game.

Garland, played very riversesque across the half back line in the first quarter, second good game in a row, drifted out of the game, but came good again in the last kicking a good goal from outside 50.

Neaves, played really well throughout the game, and was interviewed post game, not sure if that meant he was best on, but wasnt far behind. Looked much better with jamar in the team.

Jamar, took some good contested marks, but gave away a heap of free kicks and looked really frustrated. didnt look match fit and was blowing very hard throughout the game, but a good effort first up

Miller, took some good marks in the last, and was very aggressive early on, but did not much, played out the game which would suggest he is not in consideration for the essendon game. didnt see the game he kicked six in, but his last two i have seen, and he has had minimal impact

Dunn, a good four quarter effort, was terrific in the last, not sure that he did enough. but if newton is not picked dunn will play. started as a forward and was good, then drifted out of the game, but played quite well of a wing in the last

C.Johnson, very very good in the second, kicked a good goal in the last from outside 50. id like to see him play this week at the expense of ward to see if he will make it. Probably deserves a run at melbourne from just this weeks performance

Bode played and didnt do too much

Warnock, not much influence

Brown very good throughout but i doubt neale will go back to brown. his career may be over, its time for some kids

To sum up, if Newton is not injured, from what i saw in the 2nd quarter, if daniher does not play him it is absolute crap. ive seen him play probably 4 games this year and each time he has not disappointed. surely the time is now, and id like to think im not one who gets to carried away, but once again the second quarter he absolutely dominated, he chases and can do the extraordinary, its time to see him at afl level.

Newton played 3 quarters. Gave a couple away. Looks like he could be good.

Dunn plays wing/flank. He is quick. Outsprinted our Nathan Brown for the ball at one stage. WONDER WHETHER HE WILL BE GROOMED AS A MID/HBF/HFF? - looks like being capable of most positions. He has smarts, can take a good grab and is quick. Played well.

GARLAND is really clever and could be a very good CHB/Third tall eventually. Is quick, smart and knows how to find the ball. Played well.

CJ was ok. May be a late developer though.

Sauntner looks alnmost finished. Possibly in final season.

All up we have some very good young players coming through. IMO the future looks bright as the better MFC/Sandy players are tallish.

Newton my man, your time has come.

Juice did one of the best 40 metre run down tackles (a la Davey) i have ever seen from a tall forward in the first quarter. Very impressive.

He dominated the game.

Not bad considering we had 5 tall forwards for most of the time he was on the ground.

He was far and away the best player up until 3/4 time.

He marked everything. The kicking into the wind made it a little difficult in the 1st quarter, but he made amends in the 2nd qtr with 3 and gave one away to Miller who goaled (not that i wasn't screaming for him to have a shot himself from wide on the 50m arc).

Anyway a teamplayer.

He is a very good hard leader and takes a great contested mark. With the delivery he should get from the Demons midfield, he should be very productive.

Neale was sitting just behind me with his assistants, but i decided to bite my tongue on this occassion, given the press over the last 2 days.

Newton was benched at 3/4 time, which we could not believe, but we soon theorised that it must have been because Mark Williams must have gotten the word from ND to rest him for next week.

At the final siren Juice came on to the ground immediately after the siren without his boots and with a Sandy jacket on.

This supports the other posters comments that he got a whisper from the coach that the day was over.

I AM EXCITED.

I have been on his bandwagon for a while, and i just reckon Danners has run out of excuses as to why he can keep ignoring him on selection night.

Good luck Juice.

As to the other players:

Brown - Had the worst game i have ever seen him play. He got caught so many times and made the same old poor decisons and turnovers. Thanks for the great service, but delist at years end.

Dunn - Skillful and really quick at this level, but not dominant. Deserves a promotion.

Miller - Poor kicking skills at this level as well. Though he dominated the last qtr with some good marking.

Jamar - poor game.

Neaves - good tap work.

Buckley - lots of possessions. Very quick and impressive. Will get a game at some stage this year. Sooner than later.

INS: CJ, buckley, dunn, wheels

OUTS: ward, pickett, yze, bruce! yes thats right bruce.. seriously he has been really disappointing this year and needs a stint in the twos. his kicking is becoming shocking and hasn't really stood up when we need him to. give guys like CJ and bucks to prove themselfs that they are desperate for a spot in the team. also how did jace bode go?

i guess brock mclean should join the list of outs

why should CJ get a run if hes proven anythin its he cant hack it at AFL level

i have not seen much of the game... but from wat i hear... dunn was not great miller was..... soooo explain why dunn is in ur ins?

he still has somthin to prove

Newton my man, your time has come.

Juice did one of the best 40 metre run down tackles (a la Davey) i have ever seen from a tall forward in the first quarter. Very impressive.

He dominated the game.

Not bad considering we had 5 tall forwards for most of the time he was on the ground.

He was far and away the best player up until 3/4 time.

He marked everything. The kicking into the wind made it a little difficult in the 1st quarter, but he made amends in the 2nd qtr with 3 and gave one away to Miller who goaled (not that i wasn't screaming for him to have a shot himself from wide on the 50m arc).

Anyway a teamplayer.

He is a very good hard leader and takes a great contested mark. With the delivery he should get from the Demons midfield, he should be very productive.

Neale was sitting just behind me with his assistants, but i decided to bite my tongue on this occassion, given the press over the last 2 days.

Newton was benched at 3/4 time, which we could not believe, but we soon theorised that it must have been because Mark Williams must have gotten the word from ND to rest him for next week.

At the final siren Juice came on to the ground immediately after the siren without his boots and with a Sandy jacket on.

This supports the other posters comments that he got a whisper from the coach that the day was over.

I AM EXCITED.

I have been on his bandwagon for a while, and i just reckon Danners has run out of excuses as to why he can keep ignoring him on selection night.

Good luck Juice.

As to the other players:

Brown - Had the worst game i have ever seen him play. He got caught so many times and made the same old poor decisons and turnovers. Thanks for the great service, but delist at years end.

Dunn - Skillful and really quick at this level, but not dominant. Deserves a promotion.

Miller - Poor kicking skills at this level as well. Though he dominated the last qtr with some good marking.

Jamar - poor game.

Neaves - good tap work.

Buckley - lots of possessions. Very quick and impressive. Will get a game at some stage this year. Sooner than later.

according to the rap he had no impact on the game except the 2nd quater... dominated ey....

miller poor kicking ?

wat about 3.4 and 2 on the full..... i guess that is better ....

just like 90% of the people on this site u are clearly not a fan of miller

Wow, once again you turn a comment on Bruce into a post where you bag Mclean with no reason at all, You must be the pettiest person i have had the pleasure of never meeting.

i have not seen much of the game... but from wat i hear... dunn was not great miller was..... soooo explain why dunn is in ur ins?

according to the rap he had no impact on the game except the 2nd quater... dominated ey....

miller poor kicking ?

you sir have no idea. If you werent there to see newton's display shut up, he dominated the second quarter, absolutely dominated, was very good in the first, was quiet in the third and didnt play the fourth. . miller was no good today, if you were there you would of seen it too. nothing about knocking miller, he just had no impact, oh and get the facts straight dunn played pretty well, miller is the one still with something to prove.

id take 3.4 and 2 out on the full over any day of the week. dont knock newton because you are a fan of miller. be happy that we have a player that is giving supporters hope in a season full of disappointment.

how can you comment on something you didnt see?

I was a bit sceptical about this theory reading it earlier but after finding out Danners was there and considering ND's coaching future really now depends on who comes next rather than the players who have let him down time and time again, I think it is possible Juice will play next week.

you sir have no idea. If you werent there to see newton's display shut up, he dominated the second quarter, absolutely dominated, was very good in the first, was quiet in the third and didnt play the fourth. . miller was no good today, if you were there you would of seen it too. nothing about knocking miller, he just had no impact, oh and get the facts straight dunn played pretty well, miller is the one still with something to prove.

id take 3.4 and 2 out on the full over any day of the week. dont knock newton because you are a fan of miller. be happy that we have a player that is giving supporters hope in a season full of disappointment.

how can you comment on something you didnt see?

I was going to post exactly this but decided not to dignify Brucey's post with a response.

Furthermore, Newton the footballer now looks imposing on the field.

He is a good size (193cm) and he is now getting physically bigger and more muscular.

The players are now looking for him as he is a real prescence in the forward line.

He moves very quickly and has a great pair of hands.

As for Whelan, i was at the 3/4 time huddle and i heard him say th the physio that he landed on his wrist (that was alraedy bandaged). They did some rotating tests and he came styaed off the ground for the remainder of the game. Not good news, seeing as they he played a very good game IMO.

He moves very quickly and has a great pair of hands.

The hands are on the end of relatively very long arms. This could be the secret. If you see him standing next to Sautner his legs look much shorter but he's some two inches taller. Other Melbourne players with long arms were Barassi and Flower.

hey Haydo..

up til Wreckers injury was he playing at a level where in your opinion you would have played him in the One's ?

miller poor kicking ?

do u hate brock mclean or something!! ffs tell one game where bruce has gone in hard and made an impact! bruce is soft as a feather and needs a kick up the bum!

Yet another classic post where BB adds weight to his ever increasing credibility on this site...

What's funny is, you're actually doing Bruce's reputation on here MORE harm by arguing in the infantile way you are. First he's bagged, then you come in and highlight how correct the original poster was by posting drivel, then they post a rebuttal FURTHER highlighting your ridiculousness, and Bruce's weaknesses.

Bruce is a good player. His kicking HAS been bad. He's been seeing a lot of the footy this year, and I'm certain that whatever is wrong with his ankle/calf/foot, once rectified, he'll return to being damaging. But for now, he's not doing much except get a LOT of the ball. Take your heart out of the equation BB, and maybe you'll see people give Bruce a rest.

miller poor kicking ?

dunn would be in straight ahead of miller one he can kick ... 2 he has proven him self at afl level where miller has yet to provide a string of good games...

the only thing miller can do is lead then he doesn't no what the F**K to do!!!

and brock mclean to join list of out your screwed up majorly he has had 1 bad game in all of my seeing of him GOD will never get dropped from here on for the rest of his careeer (unless he hends up like yze) which atm i doubt it

dunn would be in straight ahead of miller one he can kick ... 2 he has proven him self at afl level where miller has yet to provide a string of good games...

the only thing miller can do is lead then he doesn't no what the F**K to do!!!

and brock mclean to join list of out your screwed up majorly he has had 1 bad game in all of my seeing of him GOD will never get dropped from here on for the rest of his careeer (unless he hends up like yze) which atm i doubt it

Dunn a proven AFL player? Get off it...I can count far more games where Dunn has been ineffectual, soft and lost than otherwise, so Miller is not alone in that regard. Miller > Dunn still, but from what Ive seen, Newton >> Miller > Dunn and may leapfrog them both.