Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

9 minutes ago, mo64 said:

That would make the trade deal with the Bombers look ridiculous for us. We could have kept all those picks for what is essentially our F1 & P28 for 13 and 24.

We could have bundled all those later picks and got another 2nd rounder from a club needing points.

The teams needing points were Brisbane (dealt 20 to Richmond, best they had was 32), GC (in big deals with Pies and Richmond that they wouldn’t want to have jeopardised) and Essendon, who we dealt with!

F1 and 40, 65 for 13

28 and 54 for 24

The other option was keep 28 and bundle to 32 but then we aren’t getting a pick inside 13 for our first rounder. 

There’s nothing wrong with folding 9 back down a bit if that’s how the draft falls. The eagles just split 3 for 12, it’s reasonable to move 9 somewhere towards 15.

Tim Lamb saying in an interview on the MFC site that we have 4 picks in top 12 in the next two years. 

That's fantastic but I am scratching my head re next years picks? I assume he means tow first rounders next year?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Also said that he has never been more excited in his career at the talent in this draft.

Another big statement

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Tim Lamb saying in an interview on the MFC site that we have 4 picks in top 12 in the next two years. 

That's fantastic but I am scratching my head re next years picks? I assume he means tow first rounders next year?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Also said that he has never been more excited in his career at the talent in this draft.

Another big statement

Maybe he’s intimating that both Kozzie/Clarry and Trac are packing up and moving out next year? 😁😉

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Can anyone enlighten me?

Another big statement

Gday jnrmac, pretty sure he was speaking about last year and this year. Not this year and next. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Colm said:

Gday jnrmac, pretty sure he was speaking about last year and this year. Not this year and next. 

Thanks for that. I thought he said too but I was confused with the article below the video (where they misquoted him) saying  “Now we have four picks inside the top 12 over the next two years which will help us, we believe in the short, medium and long term. 

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1

I think they got tunnel vision on that pick 9 trade. Gave Bombers way too many picks. Will probably come back to haunt us when/if trying to split pick 9.

Pick 9 is great but shocking negotiating on our end.

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, 1858 said:

I think they got tunnel vision on that pick 9 trade. Gave Bombers way too many picks. Will probably come back to haunt us when/if trying to split pick 9.

We either get pick 9 or we keep the picks we traded for it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1858 said:

Not really. We wanted pick 9 because we have a particular target in mind and our later picks were the price. There was nothing to negotiate - they needed draft points and we wanted a high end draft pick. Neither party had wiggle room. This year's second and a future first was the crux of the deal and the other pics might have been the cost of doing business, but if pick 9 ends up being a gun then that's all that matters. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adam The God said:

I'd do the first bit and leave it at that mate haha.

Beat me to it.

Imagine getting a Cooper Hynes and Jobe Shanahan for instance on top of a Langford/Smith/Draper/ Smillie with pick 5 🤤

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Beat me to it.

Imagine getting a Cooper Hynes and Jobe Shanahan for instance on top of a Langford/Smith/Draper/ Smillie with pick 5 🤤

Yep, or even Hynes and Hotton on top of that top 5 pick. Midfield hopefully sorted for the next decade.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

Yep, or even Hynes and Hotton on top of that top 5 pick. Midfield hopefully sorted for the next decade.

Taj Hotton looks a JT pick. Couple of fantastic games for Sandy before the ACL.

• Like 2

I really looking forward to seeing what we do at the draft night. No matter we do I’m going to be pretty happy. Going to have 2/3 high end picks in a very strong draft, with JT at the wheel I’m super confident we will get a couple of cracking players. 
It’s fun to think  of players or picks we might end up with. 
How about trading picks 5&9 for Tigers picks 6,11 and 18? 

• Like 3

Trigger warning for MFC drafting WA players with top 10 picks. But might we look at the possibility of snatching Bo Allan with pick 9 ahead of the Perth clubs? (That is only if in draft interviews he was open to a move interstate)

This would be double dipping into the high level mid stocks this first round of picks holds. I would still prefer a key position pick with 9 but just spit balling.

I think the mids we're going to have the choice of picking at 5/6 are Langford and Smillie. But even though he's a bit raw at the moment I can see Allan being better then both of those players. Just a thought.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, old55 said:

9 to GWS for 15 + 16.

5 + 15 to North for 2.

Take 2 and 16 to the draft.

Have a feeling that if North want to trade down and still grab Tauru, they won't want to trade down past our pick 5. Jagga isn't a typical Melbourne pick, and there's a chance that we have Draper rated lower than consensus. That leaves FOS, Lalor and Langford as a clear top 3 on our board. All guesswork of course, but I don't think it's hard to imagine a world where we have Tauru at 4 based on the above scenario, and if we get wiped out on the aforementioned top 3 (good chance as it stands today) pick him at 5. 

Think we'd do the above deal if we think there's a clear top 3 in this draft. 

• Like 3

It has gone from throw a blanket over top 15 to a definite top 6 to a top 3 in just the last week, it seems. Not to mention that last years draft was supposed to be very good at the time, if I remember correctly. 

I see a big difference in quality between the duke and the Kolt so I hope that we keep 5 and 9. We need real class top 15 players not a decent quality top 25. 

Thats my preference but I am happy to look on the sunny side if we do play more funny beggers though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Davos said:

Have a feeling that if North want to trade down and still grab Tauru, they won't want to trade down past our pick 5. Jagga isn't a typical Melbourne pick, and there's a chance that we have Draper rated lower than consensus. That leaves FOS, Lalor and Langford as a clear top 3 on our board. All guesswork of course, but I don't think it's hard to imagine a world where we have Tauru at 4 based on the above scenario, and if we get wiped out on the aforementioned top 3 (good chance as it stands today) pick him at 5. 

Think we'd do the above deal if we think there's a clear top 3 in this draft. 

I’m seeing it the same way, and whilst I’d be more than happy with Tauru if North didn’t want to deal I wonder if we split pick 5 if he’s the best available there.

See if Richmond will do 10 and 18. Or someone else can get a similar level of picks with the first one between 8 and 12.

JT isn’t afraid to go his own way at the top of the draft but I’m underwhelmed by the small mids and Smillie.

• Like 1