Christian Petracca

4 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Well that helps. 

Morris in his radio segment this morning said:

- Trac went to Noosa for “private reasons” and teammates didn’t know what they were initially

- Trac is “holding out” to see if he can find a club with three top 10 picks or two and a player

- He’s still disgruntled but club doing what it can

The thing that gets me is that little grin on his face that he has while he reports this stuff, it still blows my mind this guy can be a behave the way he did and basically come back into the fold 5 minutes later with all forgiven. 

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, ElDiablo14 said:

If those picks are late tens(or worse early twenties), are close to useless for us.

It's not just about the quantity of picks but the quality.

Give me 2 top 5 picks, instead of a haul of late first rounders.

The best they could come up with this morning is Carlton’s 2024 first, 2025 first and McKay.

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

100%

And we are clearly still trying to get a flag with our current list, so we need a first rounder this year (definitely inside the top 10), AND a ready made quality player who will fill a need either in the midfield or up forward.

If for example he wants to go to Carlton, then what a trade should look like is one of McKay/Curnow/Walsh (anyway Carlton will need to move one of them on to make space to take on Trac's contract, unless they're back to handing out paper bags!), plus a first round pick.

The reality is that any of the big VIC clubs will either struggle for cap space or for currency, unless we are talking Richmond, and somehow I can't see Trac going to a side destined to be in the bottom 4 for years to come. 
If he wants to go to Essendon, and again, why? Then we may be able to strike a deal with them. But I can't see how he gets to Carlton, let alone Collingwood

If he goes to Collingwood, that would just be the cherry on the top of the cake of [censored].

I hope he never entertains that for the sake of his legacy.

To put it in NBA terms, it'd be like Durant going to Golden State.

Just now, titan_uranus said:

The best they could come up with this morning is Carlton’s 2024 first, 2025 first and McKay.

I mean that wouldn't be a terrible deal, except you firstly need to convince McKay to leave since he's in contract, plus there's a risk that with Trac added in, Carlton's 2025 first pick will be 18 

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

McKay a big yes, I would rather take three first round picks starting in 2026. NBA style.

Just now, ElDiablo14 said:

If he goes to Collingwood, that would just be the cherry on the top of the cake of [censored].

I hope he never entertains that for the sake of his legacy.

To put it in NBA terms, it'd be like Durant going to Golden State.

In two years time the Pies will be in a re-set mode similar to us, they've sold out their future for flags now which makes sense, but when the cliff comes they're going to fall hard, and it could be as soon as next season.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, pingu said:

Tom Morris on SEN this morning suggesting that if a big club like Carlton want Petracca they would need to give up 2 first round picks and a McKay or Curnow. 

I can already feel the Carlton supporter outrage and look forward to reading their supporters’ counter offers of Owies + a future Rd 3 pick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

In two years time the Pies will be in a re-set mode similar to us, they've sold out their future for flags now which makes sense, but when the cliff comes they're going to fall hard, and it could be as soon as next season.

Correct. So if we hold out for this year, either Trac will not want to go there or they will have heaps of draft capital and we can trade him.

Just now, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Correct. So if we hold out for this year, either Trac will not want to go there or they will have heaps of draft capital and we can trade him.

I reckon Essendon are the smokey in all of this, big vic club with money and resources, they were sitting top 4 for a lot of the year and still have a lot of young players, plus would likely have the assets to do a deal if they needed to. everyone seems to be writing them off, but i think their list is better placed long term than Collingwood

With Trac they'd almost certainly play finals and win a final next season

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Trac would love the standards at Carlton. Dont have a defensive bone in their body.

Replace McKay with TDK or Curnow and you would be tempted. Their draft picks are not enough though as they would be in the late part of 1st round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ted Lasso said:

I reckon Essendon are the smokey in all of this, big vic club with money and resources, they were sitting top 4 for a lot of the year and still have a lot of young players, plus would likely have the assets to do a deal if they needed to. everyone seems to be writing them off, but i think their list is better placed long term than Collingwood

With Trac they'd almost certainly play finals and win a final next season

Personally I think their list is a dumpster fire.... but I've been wrong before!

• Like 7

As much as it would be hard to see him in another club's guernsey if the counterweight was too enticing to knock back I'd be open to it on the one proviso that we don't trade him to Collingwood, which is almost certainly his preferred destination. It would actually be pretty funny to see his family have to front up to Marvel every second week in navy blue and white colours for the next five years. How 'bout them apples!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, binman said:

For the sake of argument, let's say tracc really does want to get to a 'big' club.

And for this exercise, let's say he means a Victorian club

And let's say a driver for that is not being happy with the club's 'direction', which I assume includes our chances of winning a flag.

The big clubs in Victoria are the pies, bombers tigers and blues.

The pies missed the 8 after winning their flag and have multiple best 22 players above 30 and a dearth of talented players in the key 50 to 100 game bracket.

I'm not going to write them off but i honestly believe we are much better placed in the next few years to win a flag.

The blues are still in the hunt for finals this year, just, and have good upside. But they have cripps and walsh  - do they really want another  bull inside mid? 

And sure, tracc can go forward- but they have McKay and Curnow 

The tigers are in full rebuild mode. And so years away from a flag.

And the bombers are, well, the bombers. They would love to have tracc, and he actually would be a great fit list wise. 

But are the bombers realistically closer to a flag than us?

And the bombers have more dramas than even us. 

And leaving aside flag chances, it's hard to see how any of those four clubs get a deal done.

The problem for tracc is at this stage of his career, with the salary he would command (not to mention what a club would have to trade and/or give up in terms of draft picks), even if we were willing to trade, there are very few clubs for whom it would make sense to trade him in. 

For example, for starters the tigers would have to give up their number one pick, which makes no sense for a club in rebuild mode.

The pies might be able to get it done, but it would be at the expense of adding yet another best 22 player in the back half of his career.

And given he would instantly become their highest paid player, trading in tracc would create chaos in terms of their player payments.

The blues, as a starting point, would have to give us Curnow or Mackay and basically all their draft picks.

It all feels like a shot accross the bow by tracc and his management.

That's to say it is an ambit claim, a flex. As ive noted, they've over played their hand.

So I predict they are left with one play - lean into the redemption, reconciliation narrative.

I didn’t want to give this a seconds thought, but … I will. If the Tigers trade out Baker, Graham, and say Bolton for arguments sake… with Martin retired and maybe Grimes, they will have a treasure chest and the picks to get the job done. 

Just now, H_T said:

I didn’t want to give this a seconds thought, but … I will. If the Tigers trade out Baker, Graham, and say Bolton for arguments sake… with Martin retired and maybe Grimes, they will have a treasure chest and the picks to get the job done. 

One problem... Trac won't go to Richmond to collect wooden spoons.

He obviously wants success, he's not leaving for money.

• Like 2

Just now, H_T said:

But Trac won’t be interested in Richmond. They’re the only one of the big Vic clubs who are guaranteed to be worse than us the next few years. Their crowds have already dropped off, too. 

46 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

A bit too much noise  

Now this is assuming Trac hasn't talked to anyone about these issues and his management etc are leaking info.

Think tracca and the club needs to come together for photo opportunities etc. And you either get solidarity or you do not.

sort it out.  !!   It is. Not a good look potentially future captain should lead. 

• Like 1

Carlton’s first round picks this year and next are basically useless as they will be late first round draft picks. If he wants to go to a “big” club then it has to be a [censored] team with high drafts pick currency. And a Top 5 player. 

Edited by Bigfoot
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 640MD said:

sort it out.  !!   It is. Not a good look potentially future captain should lead. 

Agree they need to sort this situation out but this episode has blown any opportunity for him to be a future captain of this club to smitherines. 

Captains don’t act like pirates unless they’re this guy. 

Captain Phillips GIF

Edited by Bigfoot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

But Trac won’t be interested in Richmond. They’re the only one of the big Vic clubs who are guaranteed to be worse than us the next few years. Their crowds have already dropped off, too. 

The sooner he realizes he is best off sticking with us the better. Just needs to get over himself and focus on recovery and preseason. 

All of this grand standing is only digging himself a bigger grave. 

All eyes on training this week and the interactions he has with the group. That is if he even fronts up. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, sue said:

I keep clear of footy journalism so I am totally in the dark about Morris. 

If Tracc's managers are leaking, why are they leaking to only Morris?  What's in it for them to give him exclusives?

Most footy stories come from the player managers. Journalists tend to get follow up stories if/when the player manager is happy with how they deliver the first message.

What are the odds an angry MFC re-release the Tom Morris recordings on twitter as revenge for this

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ted Lasso said:

What are the odds an angry MFC re-release the Tom Morris recordings on twitter as revenge for this

I understand that Tom Morris gets under peoples skin, but he is just reporting what he is being told in this instance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To try and give myself some comfort for this miserable situation, I checked what GWS got for the Jeremy Cameron trade (something like pick 15, 20 and 25).  After all they have managed to bouce back pretty well since then so it would make sense that that trade was pivotal to it.

Well in turns out they didn't get anyone of note (which maybe a bit unfair and early on Connor Stone) - including missing Holmes at 15 who the cats got and one of those picks Tanner Bruhn (pick 20) who ended up at the Cattery anyway!  😭

Everyone says this draft is deep and even so maybe it would be different for this one... but if the relationship is irreplably damaged I can't see us getting fair value.

I'm still holding out hope that the people required (surely a bit on both sides) come to their senses and find a way forward.  

• Like 1