Christian Petracca

48 minutes ago, roy11 said:

It is especially puzzling for a club which is deemed somewhat "irrelevant" or small by some.

I actually think that’s part of the phenomenon.

So many current fan bases grew up with the notion of Melbourne being ‘irrelevant’ or a basket case, that when we put it altogether and became a consistent contender, we moved out of our ‘station’. Any goodwill dissipated quickly and we were viewed to have gotten too big for our boots and the resentment came quickly.

Add in that we’re getting wall to wall negative coverage (disproportionate some might say) drowning out their clubs coverage and we’re likely to experience Essendon levels of derision (when they hijacked the news cycle).

What a time to be alive.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RedFox said:

The unfortunate thing about this season is that everything that has happened has left us in the middle of nowhere between rebuilding and contending.

Recent occurrences have nudged us further down the re-build path than the club would like.  

I was anti-rebuild - thought we could top up with some smart recruiting (eg Dan Houston) but Trac’s silent outbursts have made that infinitely more difficult now so I’m more open to the cultural and attitudinal cleansing that a re-build could bring.

• Like 1

it's incredible how two players on dream contracts can cause such a maelstrom

... and neither has made a single public utterance yet

is this chaos by proxy?   have player managers been studying up on iranian geopolitical tactics?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Everyone else seems to have posted here, so, in FOMO fashion...

When the Club removes the YoPro ads from its website videos, then I'll be worried.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

CP5 as a brand doesnt work at other clubs unless you punt Jamie Elliot, Adam Cerra, etc from their current numbers….

He'll just rebrand with a new number and colours. Depressing to think about

• Thinking 1

The club allowing  Petracca go to Noosa for 6 weeks with his partner instead of rehabbing at the club and getting around your teammates as they push for a finals spot

seemed to me like the club is pretty accomodating, putting   his metal health first.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-robinson-former-melbourne-president-joe-gutnick-backs-calls-for-a-fullscale-review-of-embattled-demons/news-story/9636566a415bf3fefa9d5d4aad9b4cd5?amp

Gutnick’s concerns comes as the Herald Sun can reveal Petracca’s partner Isabella Beischer – formerly a lawyer at the Hall & Wilcox legal firm, is now the business manager of Trac 5 Pty Ltd.

She is the key driver of “Brand Petracca”, which reportedly is one of reasons influencing Petracca’s desire to pursue a trade to a big Melbourne club.

She became Petracca’s business manager in April this year, two months prior to Petracca being severely injured in the King’s Birthday clash with Collingwood

As much as I believe a review should take place, Joe Gutnick is the last person who should be demanding any kind of moral culpability, anywhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

I find it puzzling the media piles onto Melbourne so much. I mean, I get it - papers to sell, clicks to collect. Maybe it’s just a reflection of actual issues in the club. But I also wonder - why aren’t Collingwood under scrutiny for missing the finals? Why isn’t alleged wantaway Josh Daicos part of the cycle.  It’s just weird.

There are several reasons Collingwood is protected but the biggest one is Eddie's control/influence on the media, particularly in Vicotria. 

It's not just Collingwood that have been very successful at keeping a lid on less than tasteful or things that the media would salivate over it is was at Melbourne or a handful of other clubs. 

Geelong have done it very well. Richmond as well. Carlton have gotten a lot better at it in recent years.

Some of it comes from the inherent respect the leaders have earned (rightfully or otherwise), some of it is they are proactive and forceful with the media and the narratives they try to push. 

Sadly we; 

• have little inherent respect (aside from Max) 
  • we have not made any inroads into building that respect 

our leaders, it seems, either:

• don't know what they are doing, or;
  • aren't doing what they should be very well, or;
  • they  are doing the best they can but it's not working/can't articulate it publicly in a manner that inspires confidence
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Left Foot Snap said:

Odds on there is a bigger underlying story that they (media) are sweating on. Piling the pressure on to attempt to break something and someone to reveal something that will allow them to pursue the bigger story. This year is bordering on a campaign and the media wouldn't do that unless they smelt blood and bigger profits in the future. 

That’s one option. Another is that they think they can create the story by piling on the pressure. 

If they can drive an external review that gets them a whole bunch of stories about the review, who’s conducting the review, what are the potential outcomes etc. 

Even better if they can get a sacking or two then there’s more clicks to be had. They smell blood alright and are going to keep going until they get something to happen, or someone else shows signs of becoming a live target. 

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

I don't use social media so don't know anything about his presence in that space.

But I'm pretty sure his Brand (and income) will do very well even post football whenever that may be.  There will be books (food, football, career), reality tv stuff, guest tv appearances, event guest appearances, product promotions, sports lecture circuit etc.

Should those ever run out and as times change he will reinvent himself in other ways. 

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

I find it puzzling the media piles onto Melbourne so much. I mean, I get it - papers to sell, clicks to collect. Maybe it’s just a reflection of actual issues in the club. But I also wonder - why aren’t Collingwood under scrutiny for missing the finals? Why isn’t alleged wantaway Josh Daicos part of the cycle.  It’s just weird.

I think clubs like Collingwood have very strong connections with media powerbrokers (including people like Maguire) and therefore journalists are less inclined to throw as much dirt at the risk of their careers. 

• Like 5

The transcript Demon Dynasty provided is legit and was taken from an interview with Christian, conducted on July 1st I think, and is freely available as "A sit down with Christian Petracca" posted on MFC's official site one month ago. It is also available on YouTube.

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Trac is getting some really bad advice right now and is obviously not in a good frame of mind.

If Trac wants to save Brand Petracca, he needs to kiss and make up with Melbourne.

If he leaves, all the stories about his historical behaviour will come out which will make him seem weird and selfish, and he will be booed by all clubs' supporters like JHF for being disloyal.

Plus, he has got to realise that Melbourne can't given him away cheaply. If we do that, key people at the club in positions of power at MFC would lose their jobs for being spineless. Lamb, Richo, Pert, Roffey would all have to go.

What has Tracc said or done that is wrong. So far all he has said is that he is suffering from Trauma and Max and Goody have said there are frustrations that they are working through. For all we know the rest if this is a media beat up that has escalated because Tracc and the club refuse to be drawn into answering to the media.

12 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I don't use social media so don't know anything about his presence in that space.

But I'm pretty sure his Brand (and income) will do very well even post football whenever that may be.  There will be books (food, football, career), reality tv stuff, guest tv appearances, event guest appearances, product promotions, sports lecture circuit etc.

Should those ever run out and as times change he will reinvent himself in other ways. 

Yes and no. He is a great footballer and very good looking and a very good cook. But he isn't Hollywood good looking or a Michelin chef. Brand Petracca works only because he is a great footballer and AFL supporters are much more loyal to their clubs than other codes.

1 hour ago, Demon Dynasty said:

It depends on how we as supporters and the club handle it DZ imho.

I believe we all need to galavanise and get behind the club and quickly.

I'm backing in Roffey, Pert, Goody, Gawny, Vines, Choco to get this done and if they can't to NOT back down but instead hold Tracc to his contract as Simon & Richo have already stated.

In Tracc's own words, the efforts of Roffey down (including players such as Gawny) were incredible during his early weeks of this crisis.

So it's nothing to do with that as the media circus pile on would want everyone to believe.  Ie;  the MFC has such a bad culture.  Heads should roll blah blah blah.

As Kate said, let the club do their work.  The key players in the FD including the player leadership group are no doubt working away through as best they can.

Possibly against all odds if the Tracc camp has cast its die already for whatever reason/s.  And who knows what the reason/s are unless you've had a direct meeting with the man himself such as Max / Goody.

Even then, a clear and obvious reason/s may not be there if he is not being open and/or completely true to his heart / word.

Have faith and let the cards play out.

If he wants to be there he will find reasons to stay assuming we address some of his concerns where they are legit and assuming the club is being open and honest.

If he made his mind up before returning to the club and wants to move on for some other unknown reasons then it's going to be a difficult save and probably unlikely to be a pleasant one for both parties.

After everything i've heard from Tracc himself, Roffey, Gawn and the club i'm backing the club in 100% from here either way.

If Tracc sees the light, does a 180 and stays, we forgive and move on.

If he doesn't i want to see the club hold him to his contract and / or get a sensational deal from any club that we feel can provide a windfall outcome.

And not a 'big club' of Tracc's choice IF that was an accurate account of his wish in the exit interview.  They won't have the currency to do so anyway.

So IF Tracc is adament he wants a fresh start, all good son, but we hold the cards and we'll decide where that might be.

As painful as it is, as supporters all we can do is hold the line and let the club get to work big time here.

I’m not going anywhere. I’ll “turn up” next year and watch who the club puts on the field.

I’ll call up sen and back up melbourne, but right now, right now is when the back of house earns its money. I’ve done my part, paid my membership since 2010, supported one of the worst clubs in the AFL in it’s darkest hours (2011-2014).

Wanna prove this “Demon Spirit” isn’t just lip service. Get to work Roffey, Pert, Lamb, Goodwin, Choco.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, chookrat said:

What has Tracc said or done that is wrong. So far all he has said is that he is suffering from Trauma and Max and Goody have said there are frustrations that they are working through. For all we know the rest if this is a media beat up that has escalated because Tracc and the club refuse to be drawn into answering to the media.

He should put out a statement if it is all media beat up.

That Goodwin, Pert and Roffey are all struggling to answer the question of "Does Petracca want to play elsewhere?" is a pretty good indication that there is truth to the media stories. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Everyone else seems to have posted here, so, in FOMO fashion...

When the Club removes the YoPro ads from its website videos, then I'll be worried.

on the other hand, they say bad publicity is good publicity, so i expect prospective sponsors must be beating down the club doors as i post ... right?

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I'm going to remove this post from @Demon Dynasty until he can verify where the quote came from as I cannot find it.

If a "reputable" source can be attributed to it I am happy to unhide the post but as it stands it may be unintentional misinformation.

• Like 1