POSTGAME: Rd 22 vs Port Adelaide

18 hours ago, Redleg said:

Fumbling cost us the game.

Constant fumbling.

Great effort with an undermanned side, but the lack of ball handling skill kills us.

The 'bombing' and the 'shooting for goal' are the two worst characteristics of the Demons now - both severely interrupt our options during a game, the attention paid to other players upfield and hence, delivery execution. Surely, these 'attributes' are deflating and we are not coached to play this way?

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

Van Rooyen. 

Chandler

3 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I was disappointed that we didn’t get to the game last night as I felt that we had a chance for some salvation. Still we watched the game on Ch7 and what a pile on that was even Jonesy piled on us at every mistake and opportunity. I thought that Max was BOG, Kozzie had an excellent game, very dangerous and the umps refused to pay him a free even when bought down by a high tackle. Overall I felt like it was a good team effort with an even spread of players but just lacking the experience, class and polish to make the most of our opportunities. As mentioned previously Jack Billings and The Kolt could have made heroes of themselves but lacked the composure to put Port away. Another lost opportunity but when we bring the heat we are very hard to beat, next two weeks will be very interesting.

Umpires did not have an optical appointment pre-game to ensure an even playing field for the Demons. In general, I agree fully with your comments - there was - for an undermanned team - some really good plays, performances and resistance to the well-favoured Port team. I thought Gawn, Kozzie and Rivers were - against the odds - exceptional, with Langers rather busy beating almost the length of their (Port's) wing. Carna Dees. There is something to coach; let's hope we get one.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, poita said:

I know Van Rooyen had a poor night, but his substitution in the last night forced Gawn to ruck the entire last quarter solo. The poor guy could barely stand in the last ten minutes he was so tired from carrying the team all year. It was an awful decision, made worse by the fact that his replacement contributed nothing. 

Irresponsible, dangerous for Max, fool-hardy. Negligence, once again. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Megatron said:

You don’t sub your best key forward. He’s capable of banging 2-3 goals in one qtr, while also being our best relief ruckman. It leaves too much on Gawns shoulders. 

Maybe he had some illness as well… we don’t really know

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

18 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Hate to say it but Dogs will win the flag

Hate to say it, but I agree with you. 

4 hours ago, Megatron said:

You don’t sub your best key forward. He’s capable of banging 2-3 goals in one qtr, while also being our best relief ruckman. It leaves too much on Gawns shoulders. 

Nornally i'd agree but he had a bit of a mare up till being subbed.

Bin sunmed his night up pretty well.

Like many he tried super hard but fluffed too many gettable marks, was terribly fumbly at ground level and failed to split the middle.

My bugbear in this match was the reasoning behind continuing to play a very out-of-form and unaccountable Clazz.  He appears to be checked out from about three weeks ago.

Why not being Fullarton in for him.  Allows us to move Petty back with May out to assist there.  McVee can then be pushed into the middle to take Clarry's role for the rest of the season.

Too late for last night of course but a fit, defensively minded and disposal efficient McVee is surely a better option than Clarry right now?

Fullarton in also means you can throw him to the wolves to assist Max which would've left JVR to focus all his energy on his forward role & craft.

Not saying it would've worked or changed last night's result either but surely worth a try.  We had nothing to lose anyway and just might have snapped the losing streak against a very in fomlrm team.

Solid effort from most and can't question the committment but oh boy, the selection committee, forward/ mid connection (still), lack of a genuinely dangerous KF, poor ball skills plus the game style remain as the outstanding unresolved issues for mine.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

Apart from the diabolical sub decision (can’t wait for this rule to be scrapped for Goodwins sake) this was a good coaching display. 

We denied the corridor and nearly pulled off an epic win with plenty of VFL standard players running around.

Spot on.

On the board they show the players at the quarter time break, in the reinforcements/solutions section they had the word corridor at quarter time (along with the pressure rating 1.83, conquest and contest). 

Presumably that was to reinforce the strategy to deny port the corridor.

I'm not sure exactly what some posters expect - particularly those who don't rate the playing list or coach

A bit of perspective wouldn't go astray sometimes.

Many posters expected we'd get flogged. As did the punters - we started @ $3.

We are clearly cooked. Multiple players are clearly carrying injuries, including 4 of our best 6 players (Lever, gawn, viney and clarry - whose hand is causing him obvious issues). 

Including smith and gus (and it makes zero sense not to),we were  missing six of our best 23 (7 if you include Spargs) - one of whom is arguably the best player in the AFL (tracc) and another is arguably the best KPD in the AFL. 

Therefore we were missing more than a quarter of our best 23  and half  our best six players (gus is/was in my top 6).

Those players are replaced by, as tou suggest, vfl level players.

And we are having to play a bunch of kids who are clearly paddling 

Our elite midfield is missing tracc and Gus, maxy is labouring and clarry struggling

What would have been the point trying to take on the corridor and try and go fast?

We didn't have enough players with the skills to execute the sort of high risk kicking and split second elite decision making that method demands.

And more crucially, we also lack the all team running power and speed that method demands.

Port would have demolished us if we tried to play any other way.

Opposition teams have been looking to run us of our legs and spread us wide

Port are one the hardest running teams in the AFL from their back half. For pete's sake they scored 148 points against last week doing exactly that to the team on top of the ladder.

148 points.

We kept port to almost a third of that score on a perfect night for footy, with as you say plenty of VFL standard players running around, a bunch of kids, multiple players who'll need post season surgery and a team who are collectively gassed.

And we almost beat them.

Top work goody.

Edited by binman
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Clap 2
  • Thinking 1

Have to agree that the coaching last night was really good. Just didn't have enough quality to match Port's. 

Edited by Clintosaurus
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Here here @binman terrific coaching and effort from a playing group that is clearly not anywhere near full fitness.

We were missing 3 of our top 5 players (yes I will continue adding Gus) along with Windsor and Bowey and almost pulled off a huge upset against one of the most damaging, in-form sides in the comp.

As far as skill execution goes this is definitely the poorest we've been since 2021. I know we lack kicking efficiency, especially in the midfield but even handbells are way off at the moment. Do we think that's also a fatigue factor?

Players are clearly choosing or being told to get it on the boot to gain territory and create contests further up the ground. I feel this has to partly be due to the fact that we don't have the fitness to spread or break the lines at the moment. Earlier in the season we were able to do this far more often.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poita said:

I know Van Rooyen had a poor night, but his substitution in the last night forced Gawn to ruck the entire last quarter solo. The poor guy could barely stand in the last ten minutes he was so tired from carrying the team all year. It was an awful decision, made worse by the fact that his replacement contributed nothing. 

That's simply not true, Petty took JVR's stint in the ruck in the middle of the last quarter.

Gawn had an extended rest in the 3rd quarter in preparation for doing much of the last quarter.

Melksham was expected to do more but that's the life of the sub some times, you can't always come in and pick up the pace of the game no matter that you're fresh.

If we subbed Fritsch people would ask why we subbed our best goal kicker.

If we subbed Disco people would ask why we subbed the young guy who was clunking a few marks and making an impact across half forward.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Here here @binman terrific coaching and effort from a playing group that is clearly not anywhere near full fitness.

We were missing 3 of our top 5 players (yes I will continue adding Gus) along with Windsor and Bowey and almost pulled off a huge upset against one of the most damaging, in-form sides in the comp.

As far as skill execution goes this is definitely the poorest we've been since 2021. I know we lack kicking efficiency, especially in the midfield but even handbells are way off at the moment. Do we think that's also a fatigue factor?

Players are clearly choosing or being told to get it on the boot to gain territory and create contests further up the ground. I feel this has to partly be due to the fact that we don't have the fitness to spread or break the lines at the moment. Earlier in the season we were able to do this far more often.

I think our kicking skills have been poor for a decade or more.

And that's definitely true of the Goodwin era and the current list -

Even our very best players can be hit or miss by foot.

Take multiple best 23 players out  and our skills are really exposed.

Fatigue, like wind and rain, impacts skill execution, particularly for players with average skills. No doubt it was factor in our poor skill execution last night.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Spot on.

On the board they show the players at the quarter time break, in the reinforcements/solutions section they had the word corridor at quarter time (along with the pressure rating 1.83, conquest and contest). 

Presumably that was to reinforce the strategy to deny port the corridor.

I'm not sure exactly what some posters expect - particularly those who don't rate the playing list or coach

A bit of perspective wouldn't go astray sometimes.

Many posters expected we'd get flogged. As did the punters - we started @ $3.

We are clearly cooked. Multiple players are clearly carrying injuries, including 4 of our best 6 players (Lever, gawn, viney and clarry - whose hand is causing him obvious issues). 

Including smith and gus (and it makes zero sense not to),we were  missing six of our best 23 (7 if you include Spargs) - one of whom is arguably the best player in the AFL (tracc) and another is arguably the best KPD in the AFL. 

Therefore we were missing more than a quarter of our best 23  and half  our best six players (gus is/was in my top 6).

Those players are replaced by, as tou suggest, vfl level players.

And we are having to play a bunch of kids who are clearly paddling 

Our elite midfield is missing tracc and Gus, maxy is labouring and clarry struggling

What would have been the point trying to take on the corridor and try and go fast?

We didn't have enough players with the skills to execute the sort of high risk kicking and split second elite decision making that method demands.

And more crucially, we also lack the all team running power and speed that method demands.

Port would have demolished us if we tried to play any other way.

Opposition teams have been looking to run us of our legs and spread us wide

Port are one the hardest running teams in the AFL from their back half. For pete's sake they scored 148 points against last week doing exactly that to the team on top of the ladder.

148 points.

We kept port to almost a third of that score on a perfect night for footy, with as you say plenty of VFL standard players running around, a bunch of kids, multiple players who'll need post season surgery and a team who are collectively gassed.

And we almost beat them.

Top work goody.

I'm not always in agreement with you Binman but extremely well said. Given all the circumstances I would go as far to say this was one of our very best performances on and off the field for the season.  TBH I was expecting a horror show. Port are current flag favourites.  Dumped Swans by 20 goals. Effed if I know what people expect! It has been the season from hell for multiple reasons. Only exceeded by the horror show of 2019. Never like losing but that was palatable.  Our endeavour with little to play for was first class despite being so undermanned. . Some may not agree but the consolation was a better spot in the draft. I was downcast for 5 mins after the game until reality set in. Well done Demons!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clintosaurus said:

Have to agree that the coaching last night was really good. Just didn't have enough quality to match Port's. 

I’d argue the game plan going in was very good and I think Goody has always been strong in this area. Where he falls down is his match day coaching which we’ve seen on numerous occasions and is why he has a poor record against experienced coaches such as Scott and Longmire who are brilliant with in game moves. Last night was a good example of some poor in-game coaching decisions such as JvR being subbed off, and moving Clarry to halfback which cost 2 goals.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, poita said:

Van Rooyen was subbed because he was ill and Gawn had a decent rest on the bench in the last with Petty rucking.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I’d argue the game plan going in was very good and I think Goody has always been strong in this area. Where he falls down is his match day coaching which we’ve seen on numerous occasions and is why he has a poor record against experienced coaches such as Scott and Longmire who are brilliant with in game moves. Last night was a good example of some poor in-game coaching decisions such as JvR being subbed off, and moving Clarry to halfback which cost 2 goals.

I'm not sure I agree about jvr, but clarry back def hurt us. Forward would have been a better option

That said, Goody was trying something different. It's not always going to work. 

His choice of sub has been a worry for mine in the last three weeks.

I'm guessing Turner was cover for Max, but still. 

And Melksham didn't make sense, if for no other reason than we could have done with a player with his skills, particularly a senior player.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I was disappointed that we didn’t get to the game last night as I felt that we had a chance for some salvation. Still we watched the game on Ch7 and what a pile on that was even Jonesy piled on us at every mistake and opportunity. I thought that Max was BOG, Kozzie had an excellent game, very dangerous and the umps refused to pay him a free even when bought down by a high tackle. Overall I felt like it was a good team effort with an even spread of players but just lacking the experience, class and polish to make the most of our opportunities. As mentioned previously Jack Billings and The Kolt could have made heroes of themselves but lacked the composure to put Port away. Another lost opportunity but when we bring the heat we are very hard to beat, next two weeks will be very interesting.

Nathan Jones is horrible when commentating Melbourne games. Totally biased against his old team. I really don’t get it. I’ve made comment on here before about it. Maybe has an axe to grind with Goodwin 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

8 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

I'm sick of night games in the middle of winter

I hope 2025's fixture is kinder to us

Do you like Saturdays at 1:45, Sundays at 1:10 or 4:40? Because that's what you'll get.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Nathan Jones is horrible when commentating Melbourne games. Totally biased against his old team. I really don’t get it. I’ve made comment on here before about it. Maybe has an axe to grind with Goodwin 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Maybe he’s just being overly cautious not to show any bias to the Dees and consequently he leans too far the other way.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, old55 said:

Do you like Saturdays at 1:45, Sundays at 1:10 or 4:40? Because that's what you'll get.

Absolutely.  A lot more kid and family friendly. 

Saturday night games are trash.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Heart Beats True said:

Maybe he’s just being overly cautious not to show any bias to the Dees and consequently he leans too far the other way.

I think Gazza does the same when commenting on Dee games, feels obliged to point out free kicks etc for our opponents but not vice versa, they are both annoying.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, old55 said:

Love them. Let’s go under the radar. The Hawks have barely played a free to air game this year and a drawing massive crowds with how well they are playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1