PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

@DeeSpencer would you?

Thought Fritsch was ok against Freo and not sure I’d debut Jeffo against GWS.

Plus I’d like to keep Fritsch’s trade value as high as possible now. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, DemonWA said:

Anyone calling for changes in the forward line needs to realise they weren't the problem. We couldn't get our hands on the ball all day. 

I think we have the let the majority of the guys try to redeem themselves.

I assume Kolt and Salem will be touch and go. If so, Billings and Pup Brown should get a run. Woewodin or Howes as the sub

Fritch is brilliant when he’s on. But for whatever reason he showed no spark and had moments throughout the season of lackluster effort.

But it’s not about punishing him, it’s about selecting a game when Jefferson might have a look.

Sure, GWS is an important game, but Jefferson needs a taste of something real before another big pre-season. He’s a major investment.

I don’t mind ‘managing’ Fritch for a game. Let it be, what will be.

Brown surely comes in. And I’d like to see Howes.

That’s four changes, with Gawn. Won’t happen. But they looked flat. And the travel. Need to bring some spark, nothing like a big debut.

• Love 1

I’d bring Max Gawn in, I reckon he could be the answer to our ruck problems.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 8
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Not sure he's got the experience.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

On a serious note, some of the venom being aimed at the players should be reserved for the club management.

Imagine what our year would have been like with no backup ruckman if Max had gone down with a season-ending injury in the first few rounds.

If Fullarton is not the answer, why did we sign him?

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

41 minutes ago, No10 said:

Fritch is brilliant when he’s on. But for whatever reason he showed no spark and had moments throughout the season of lackluster effort.

But it’s not about punishing him, it’s about selecting a game when Jefferson might have a look.

Sure, GWS is an important game, but Jefferson needs a taste of something real before another big pre-season. He’s a major investment.

That’s four changes, with Gawn. Won’t happen. But they looked flat. And the travel. Need to bring some spark, nothing like a big debut.

If we drop Fritta for Matt Jefferson we should be investigated for tanking 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Dee-tonator said:

On a serious note, some of the venom being aimed at the players should be reserved for the club management.

Imagine what our year would have been like with no backup ruckman if Max had gone down with a season-ending injury in the first few rounds.

If Fullarton is not the answer, why did we sign him?

Ditto ditto ditto.  Goody admits that they have no second ruckman behind Gawn.  FFS.  How could you prepare for a year without a plan B ruckman.  FFS.  

Had Jackson.  Lost Jackson. 
Got Grundy.  Got chicken and traded Grundy. 
Season 2024. No backup or second ruck.  Coach ? What were you thinking ? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, SthSea22 said:

Is it worth playing Fritsch on the HB line?

McAdam/Jefferson in?

Oh God NOOOOOOO ! I want Jeffo to get a gig or two this year but NOT with Fritta at Half back!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Not sure he's got the experience.

Plus he likes a Marlboro in his car 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Oh God NOOOOOOO ! I want Jeffo to get a gig or two this year but NOT with Fritta at Half back!

Thanks Mrs Jefferson 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our 21 season was set up in the final weeks of 2020 and I imagine much would be the mindset going on inside the club at the moment. Probably need one or two new assistant coaches in the off season, to keep refining the new method and gameplay being developed, proper pre seasons into the likes of Clarrie and maybe be looking at Verrall and Jefferson to find their spots mid to end of next year. With the youth in our team, I'm watching each game as a part of long term development with zero expectations, and am already seeing far more positive signs in that space than anything we saw from 2011-16. That's cool, cos we won a [censored] flag a couple of years ago. Looks like I'm following a properly good footy club to me. 

Selection this week to be based on that. For me, Tholstrup and Woey J worth persevering with. Gawn to be rested and Petty/Turner/Roo combo continued.

Edit: Not to mention we are still in the finals race and who knows what damage we could do. Exciting stuff!

Edited by Clayton van Oliver
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Ditto ditto ditto.  Goody admits that they have no second ruckman behind Gawn.  FFS.  How could you prepare for a year without a plan B ruckman.  FFS.  

Had Jackson.  Lost Jackson. 
Got Grundy.  Got chicken and traded Grundy. 
Season 2024. No backup or second ruck.  Coach ? What were you thinking ? 

Embarrassing by the club, selection committee, but most importantly the coach.  The way Goody hung Fullerton out to dry in the press conference was really poor form and nothing but trying to divert attention away from himself..  I think they used him as a scape goat as they admitted we would lose the hit outs before the game started.  That's weak.  Rather than trying to be competitive (and even is he did think we would lose, what a learning experience for TF).  Instead, we hung the kid out to dry in the press, went in with 2 makeshift rucks, against arguably the best 1 -2 ruck combo in the comp and a highly effective and efficient midfield who are in form.  Petty and JVR were both playing out of position, one whom we are trying to make our key forward and wonder why we got smashed in clearances.  All of this because of poor selection decisions.  Goody just admit you got it wrong.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

10 hours ago, picket fence said:

Yep Fritsch was putrid and is a weak tackler, needs more desperation and needs a spell. BRING IN JEFFO! Time for a bold call Goody

Fritsch 35

Pickett 27

JVR 25

Those are our only goal kickers with more than 15.

Pickett is playing in the midfield and JVR in the ruck. And people want to drop the one who has kicked the most of all of them and is on track for another 45 goal season. Unbelievable.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, roy11 said:

Surprised people are calling for Chandler to be dropped. 
Our forward line wasn't the issue on the weekend and Chandler played a decent enough (not great) game.
2 Goals (=1st for Dees) , 5 Score Involvements (=2nd for Dees), 4 Tackles (=2nd for Dees), 3 tackles inside 50 (1st for Dees) 27 pressure acts (=3rd for Dees), 6th for our meters gained etc. 

Many of those stats from a #X in the team POV are not overly relevant when you consider that he's in the team to tackle and provide pressure and the other guys in his position are either playing midfield (Pickett, ANB) or sub 10 games (Tholstrup). Chandler was fumbly and error prone when the game was on the line. Particularly his kicking inside 50. He did most of his good work in the fourth when Freo tapered off a bit. He's in the team to provide pressure, kick inside 50 and hit the scoreboard. I wouldn't drop him, this was one of his better games this season, but at 50 games and 24 years of age, it's time he did more than play a bit part.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Plus he likes a Marlboro in his car 

I think the durries have gone out the window.

Metaphorically. Not literally of course.

12 hours ago, Sydee said:

If we drop Fritta for Matt Jefferson we should be investigated for tanking 

Jefferson was a first round pick. Playing consistently well in VFL. In his second year.

Maybe Turner sits it out. But it’s a game to play the kid. Desperately holding on to the season isn’t necessarily the best strategy.

22 minutes ago, No10 said:

Jefferson was a first round pick. Playing consistently well in VFL. In his second year.

Maybe Turner sits it out. But it’s a game to play the kid. Desperately holding on to the season isn’t necessarily the best strategy.

If we are not desperately holding onto our season where we can still compete in finals then by definition that’s tanking 

I thought we’d grown out of that folly 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, No10 said:

Too risky for me.

We still are a chance for finals so we can't experiment here.

If we are locked out of finals against the pies then sure give Jeffo a run.

Yes Fritas been hot and cold but so has the whole team.

Plus he's so much better at the G.

A couple of purple patches from him change games.

20 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Concur here Spirit however I would play Billings. Those that potted him need to have a good hard look at themselves. he got 75 AF points in less than a half of a game. Swap Billings for Chandler IMO. 

Yes that was a good half of football but can he repeat it he's not been reliable in the past.

2 hours ago, No10 said:

The problem is jeffo hasn't been playing consistently well in the VFL.

In fact the only consistent thing about his career thus far is how inconsistent both his performances, and of more concern, his effort has been.

Take the game against Frankston. With the rain, terrible day for forwards so he gets a pass on his performance. But effort is a non-negotiable and his was poor.

Compare and contrast Jefferson's second season in the VFL to JVR's first season in the VFL.

Chalk and cheese.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, binman said:

The problem is jeffo hasn't been playing consistently well in the VFL.

In fact the only consistent thing about his career thus far is how inconsistent both his performances, and of more concern his effort has been.

Take the game against Frankston. With the rain, terrible day for forwards so he gets a pass on his performance. But effort is a non negotiable and his was poor.qdgdr1

Compare and contrast Jefferson's second season in the VFL to JVR's first season in the VFL.

Chalk and cheese.

Not only is effort a non negotiable but it can't be taught.

Still think Jefferson was a strange Jason Taylor pick. He does some nice things in a game, but he shows no desperation. He is a less skilful Fritsch with less intensity.