Oliver Trade Rumours

Just now, picket fence said:

But surely this is why SOMEONE shopped him around? PERSONALLY I LOVE HIM. BUT If he wanted out I would have agreed to and Moved on!!

Not if we still have to pay part of his contract and only get token compensation for what he's worth.

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

I reckon the leaks to the media are from player agents - it's no coincidence that Tom Morris was at the front of developments of both stories (with a reliable source) and Oliver and Trac have the same manager.

There's no way to be sure unfortunately, because we really need to put it to an end. Morris does seemingly still have connections around MFC circles though so it could still have come through those avenues.

6 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

It's coming from supporters of other clubs and our own supporters BECAUSE it's coming from the media, don't you see that?  The media are the ones setting the agenda. No one would be talking about this at all if Manure et al kept to not making up stories.

The media wouldn't report on it if the club were not dysfunctional. The problems lie with the club, not with the media reporting on the club.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, FreedFromDesire said:

There's no way to be sure unfortunately, because we really need to put it to an end. Morris does seemingly still have connections around MFC circles though so it could still have come through those avenues.

But we don't definitively know the leaks are coming from the club. There's a lot of external parties dealing directly that are privy to information and it could be any of them. But the narrative is the club is a sieve and plenty have bought it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The media wouldn't report on it if the club were not dysfunctional. The problems lie with the club, not with the media reporting on the club.

Thanks Dr Gonzo.!!

17 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

And you can post without name calling 

I wasn't name calling. I was saying that people can post without being hurtful. The "you" was meant to mean everyone on this forum, not anyone personally. Also, calling someone the "morality police" is name calling. The morality police actually kill women for expressing opinions. Look it up. Quite hurtful to be called that tbh. Not interested in keeping this going, my initial reply was to stick up for WCW who I think is a  kind hearted person who contributes to this group and should not have to feel she has to leave because of the poor treatment of other. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Clintosaurus said:

But we don't definitively know the leaks are coming from the club. There's a lot of external parties dealing directly that are privy to information and it could be any of them. But the narrative is the club is a sieve and plenty have bought it.

That's a fair comment, and it could even be different for every situation perhaps as well.

I do still believe we have issues internally though. Some of that may be leaking information; which would not surprise me personally as it's hard to argue things aren't a bit of a mess with our internal communication and organisational structure as it stands. I think the combination of different areas including the President departing, Caulfield both progressing and now facing obstacles, Petracca, Oliver, Houston, Steven Smith Presidency push, Pickett homesickness, Bassett/Sloane/Bartel, and more, absolutely indicates we are leaking like a sieve from somewhere. You don't get that many things escaping the club without there being an issue there.

via The Age

Clayton Oliver has started his own pre-season early, as the 27-year-old clings on to hope that Melbourne will trade him to Geelong before next Wednesday’s deadline.

The four-time Melbourne best and fairest has been spotted several times in his home town of Shepparton this week, training weights and running.

A source at Geelong, who wasn’t willing to speak publicly given that Oliver still has six years of his contract still to run at Melbourne, said the star midfielder was willing to take a pay cut if it helped get a deal across the line.
....But Melbourne’s strong stance has not dampened the appetite of Oliver, who remains in contact with the Cats.

A pay cut may help the Demons reconsider a trade, but two club sources remained staunch when contacted by this masthead on Thursday. They said a deal to move Oliver to the Cats would not be entertained.

Oliver is contracted until the end of 2030 at an average of $1.3 million per season.

While all three parties – Melbourne, Geelong and Oliver’s management – have privately confirmed that the Cats’ future first-round pick in next year’s national draft had been initially raised, they say there is yet to be a meaningful trade offer beyond that.

• Haha 2

“Was” willing to take a pay cut. So because he’s training in the off-season, the assumption is that it’s because he wants a trade to Geelong, not because he’s setting himself up for next season with the Dee’s? If it wasn’t written, I’d suggest you couldn’t make this stuff up. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

It's clear that at least some of the leaks are coming from the club. Listen to Gawn's interview on MMM he mentions the need to stamp it out. It is simply unbelievable that NONE of the leaks over the last couple have months have come from the club. The club leaks what it thinks will buy it some support from the members but it's at the cost of creating further division within the club. If I were to guess I would say Pert is at the centre of this (he has form in his prior role at the Pies) but I could be wrong, it may be a disgruntled board member or member of the FD.

2 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

There's a bit more to it than "just not getting along".  But sure, pretend you know better.

I agree with you. The casting-aside and dimunition of WCWs comments is reductive and unhelpful. 

I doubt WCW uses the term lightly

@Demonland you may need to step in here and set some expectations.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Ethan Tremblay said:

“Was” willing to take a pay cut. So because he’s training in the off-season, the assumption is that it’s because he wants a trade to Geelong, not because he’s setting himself up for next season with the Dee’s? If it wasn’t written, I’d suggest you couldn’t make this stuff up. 

On the tradies podcast, the paycut was Sam McClure's suggestion. I reckon he just said to the source at Geelong "would he be interested in a paycut" and they didn't refute it. 

Also "award winning journalist" is a stretch. Wasn't his award rescinded? 

This still reads that Melbourne are holding firm and he will not be traded. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, reynolds46 said:

must be true because he has a source who wasn’t willing to speak publicly. He really is the lowest quality journalist and makes Damian Barrett and Tom Morris look like Pulitzer Prize winners

I have a source who tells me to never believe everything you read or hear in the media.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, reynolds46 said:

He really is the lowest quality journalist and makes Damian Barrett and Tom Morris look like Pulitzer Prize winners

The nearest McClure has come to such a prestigious award was the time he snuck up behind a chicken and was nominated for the Pullet Surprise.  (sorry)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Flowergirl said:

On the tradies podcast, the paycut was Sam McClure's suggestion. I reckon he just said to the source at Geelong "would he be interested in a paycut" and they didn't refute it. 

Also "award winning journalist" is a stretch. Wasn't his award rescinded? 

This still reads that Melbourne are holding firm and he will not be traded. 

100%. Obviously, Clarry to Geelong was explored. Who initiated the idea, how involved the clubs were in conversations over it, who knows. At the start of this whole thing though, it was pretty clear that McClure was generating chatter within the media and then using that to fuel his personal podcast. He legitimately just can’t let this go. It’s bordering pathetic. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Facts in this article:

Clayton is training hard to be ready for pre-season.

Melbourne and Geelong have had no meaningful discussions of a trade for Oliver in trade week this far. No offer has been tabled.

Two Demons officials said no trade will be entertained. 

Conjecture:

Oliver might have been willing to take a pay cut to get to Geelong.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

You have no idea how the event was organized on the night, and if you think supporters turned up just to harass players you're the dropkick. No offence.

What does how the event was organised or my understanding of how it was organised have anything to do with someone getting blind drunk and harassing players? The B&F isn't an opportunity for fans to buy a ticket and do whatever they want. The guy has had to put up with all sorts of garbage in the media surrounding his future and you're all for this?

There should seriously be guidelines for entry to this event and controversial topics of conversation shoud be forbidden like here, no offence.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, adonski said:

via The Age

Clayton Oliver has started his own pre-season early, as the 27-year-old clings on to hope that Melbourne will trade him to Geelong before next Wednesday’s deadline.

The four-time Melbourne best and fairest has been spotted several times in his home town of Shepparton this week, training weights and running.

A source at Geelong, who wasn’t willing to speak publicly given that Oliver still has six years of his contract still to run at Melbourne, said the star midfielder was willing to take a pay cut if it helped get a deal across the line.
....But Melbourne’s strong stance has not dampened the appetite of Oliver, who remains in contact with the Cats.

A pay cut may help the Demons reconsider a trade, but two club sources remained staunch when contacted by this masthead on Thursday. They said a deal to move Oliver to the Cats would not be entertained.

Oliver is contracted until the end of 2030 at an average of $1.3 million per season.

While all three parties – Melbourne, Geelong and Oliver’s management – have privately confirmed that the Cats’ future first-round pick in next year’s national draft had been initially raised, they say there is yet to be a meaningful trade offer beyond that.

Maybe he started his pre season early to..you know.. start his pre season early?

Don't know how 7 days of extra training would get him to Geelong in a trade..

7 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

What does how the event was organised or my understanding of how it was organised have anything to do with someone getting blind drunk and harassing players? The B&F isn't an opportunity for fans to buy a ticket and do whatever they want. The guy has had to put up with all sorts of garbage in the media surrounding his future and you're all for this?

There should seriously be guidelines for entry to this event and controversial topics of conversation shoud be forbidden like here, no offence.

Because it sounds like no-one did actually get blind drunk and abuse players. WCW, who was there and was liaising with players refuted that in her post. I think the reactions to that contributed to why she's now left the forum 

On 09/10/2024 at 08:54, mo64 said:

100% agree. With that being the case, why are posters on here obsessed with potting the media, as if it's totally fabricated. You've even got a poster writing a complaint to the AFL, when they have no idea of what is accurate and what is not.

Supporters should be more upset with how the club have handled this rather than how the media have reported it.

If you’re going to go in to bat for the media then 1. defend their record and 2. tell me how their business model could possibly lead to honest and ethical reporting.
Then when you’re done with that tell me how you know they are right in this scenario. You may want them to be right, but it doesn’t mean they are. Some people wait till things play out and listen to facts rather than play the anxiety provoking game of follow the media and all their bull [censored] 

• Like 1