Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

Absolutely nothing about this makes sense and I'm happy people on Twitter are starting to notice, too.

1. Oliver is happy and ready to go for 2025 in red and blue.

2. Overnight, he is shopped around, and suddenly ends up on a farm on the outskirts of Geelong. Okay?

3. He suddenly wants to get to Geelong. After one meeting on a farm. No tour of facilities. No chat to the coach. Nothing.

4. Now he is willing to take a pay cut. Two sources - one from Geelong and one from his management group - say this on condition of anonymity. 

You're telling me this guy wants to leave a $1.5 million a year contract on the table, to take a paycut to play for Geelong? Overnight? Suddenly willing to take a paycut?

Either this is absolute lunacy and just a made up story, or Geelong is pulling serious shifties.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

10 minutes ago, praha said:

Absolutely nothing about this makes sense and I'm happy people on Twitter are starting to notice, too.

1. Oliver is happy and ready to go for 2025 in red and blue.

2. Overnight, he is shopped around, and suddenly ends up on a farm on the outskirts of Geelong. Okay?

3. He suddenly wants to get to Geelong. After one meeting on a farm. No tour of facilities. No chat to the coach. Nothing.

4. Now he is willing to take a pay cut. Two sources - one from Geelong and one from his management group - say this on condition of anonymity. 

You're telling me this guy wants to leave a $1.5 million a year contract on the table, to take a paycut to play for Geelong? Overnight? Suddenly willing to take a paycut?

Either this is absolute lunacy and just a made up story, or Geelong is pulling serious shifties.

I believe it's been recently reported that Oliver's management raised the possibility of a trade midway through the season, and there's of course the near-trade situation from last year, so I don't think anything about this has happened over night.

I would also say, simply because it's not been reported; it doesn't mean Oliver hasn't spoken to Chris Scott or toured the facilities.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I’ve never heard of a person more desperate for an AFL trade to happen than Sam McClure wanting Oliver to head to Geelong.

It’s as if he wants Clarry to go to Geelong more than Clarry himself.

Barrett too. Both clowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flowergirl said:

I wasn't name calling. I was saying that people can post without being hurtful. The "you" was meant to mean everyone on this forum, not anyone personally. Also, calling someone the "morality police" is name calling. The morality police actually kill women for expressing opinions. Look it up. Quite hurtful to be called that tbh. Not interested in keeping this going, my initial reply was to stick up for WCW who I think is a  kind hearted person who contributes to this group and should not have to feel she has to leave because of the poor treatment of other. 

Actually you did name call, albeit censored. It was aimed indirectly at the "other", and your position on the matter is diminished by doing so

Your enthusiasm to defend WCW has led you to confuse me with someone else. I never called you the "morality police".

Linking me requesting that you refrain from name calling with women being killed is both offensive and unnecessarily inflamitory.

It's time for all of us to leave the matter up to the mods for them to deal with. I would suggest you contact them if you want to stick up for WCW

Back to Clayton Oliver...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flowergirl said:

Also "award winning journalist" is a stretch. Wasn't his award rescinded? 

McClure actually gets a lot wrong.

In addition to the Harley Reid drafting stuff up that he muffed, he also came up with this zinger almost a year ago in regards to Opening round 2024:

”Tonight I can reveal exclusively on air that the AFL will be sending Collingwood and Essendon up to Sydney for the inaugural opening round 2024 to play Sydney and GWS”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, adonski said:

via The Age

Clayton Oliver has started his own pre-season early, as the 27-year-old clings on to hope that Melbourne will trade him to Geelong before next Wednesday’s deadline.

The four-time Melbourne best and fairest has been spotted several times in his home town of Shepparton this week, training weights and running.

A source at Geelong, who wasn’t willing to speak publicly given that Oliver still has six years of his contract still to run at Melbourne, said the star midfielder was willing to take a pay cut if it helped get a deal across the line.
....But Melbourne’s strong stance has not dampened the appetite of Oliver, who remains in contact with the Cats.

A pay cut may help the Demons reconsider a trade, but two club sources remained staunch when contacted by this masthead on Thursday. They said a deal to move Oliver to the Cats would not be entertained.

Oliver is contracted until the end of 2030 at an average of $1.3 million per season.

While all three parties – Melbourne, Geelong and Oliver’s management – have privately confirmed that the Cats’ future first-round pick in next year’s national draft had been initially raised, they say there is yet to be a meaningful trade offer beyond that.

Comedy hour

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FreedFromDesire said:

I would very much doubt Geelong would set out to publicly embarrass another club only to then have to sit down and negotiate a trade with them.

After the last couple of months, it seems pretty clear that any leaking likely came from the Melbourne side of things somewhere.

Leaking does not always happen as a matter of dysfunction. It is also done strategically. 

For a clue, always ask who stands to gain from this?

Further, who knows the details, in this case the meeting place?

Answers below:

Geelong FC and Geelong FC

• Like 2
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Maybe he started his pre season early to..you know.. start his pre season early?

Don't know how 7 days of extra training would get him to Geelong in a trade..

and that's why you'll never be a journo, layz

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The media wouldn't report on it if the club were not dysfunctional. The problems lie with the club, not with the media reporting on the club.

So the news media are perfect and the club is no good? What a load of garbage. Why don’t you go and support another club! Or maybe you do and you’re just on here to dig the boots into our club. If you don’t like what’s happening at the club do something about it! Get involved in the club! Don’t just sit tapping on your keyboard at home and saying the club is “dysfunctional”. That doesn’t help anything!

• Thanks 1

So the circus continues! One player sucks all the  oxygen of our club! The same player who didn’t present professionally for preseason & sent home during the Lorne camp! The same player which the club supported him & not dropping him & risking the culture of the club!

Edited by Demonsone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SPC said:

It’s an easy out for McClure… “Oliver was keen to be traded, but Geelong and Melbourne couldn’t agree on his value”.. so for now he can continue to throw “stories” out there with no accountability 

It would also be an easy out for Oliver to come out and refute the idea he wants to be traded to the Cats, either personally or via his management. Those who think there's nothing to see here have their heads firmly in the sand. The club has completely mismanaged two of its best players who both have become so disillusioned with the club that they would leave if a trade could be facilitated. Yet people want to whinge and moan about the media rather than hold those at the club accountable. It's pathetic.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

It would also be an easy out for Oliver to come out and refute the idea he wants to be traded to the Cats, either personally or via his management. Those who think there's nothing to see here have their heads firmly in the sand. The club has completely mismanaged two of its best players who both have become so disillusioned with the club that they would leave if a trade could be facilitated. Yet people want to whinge and moan about the media rather than hold those at the club accountable. It's pathetic.

Like how Dan Houston said he wouldn't be traded and now is being traded?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Antioch said:

So the news media are perfect and the club is no good? What a load of garbage. Why don’t you go and support another club! Or maybe you do and you’re just on here to dig the boots into our club. If you don’t like what’s happening at the club do something about it! Get involved in the club! Don’t just sit tapping on your keyboard at home and saying the club is “dysfunctional”. That doesn’t help anything!

Yeah I secretly barrack for another club, I've taken out an MFC membership for 35 years since I was a little kid and waste time on here as the perfect cover. I'm playing the long game here 🤦

The club is dysfunctional and needs change in the senior leadership. A symptom of the dysfunction is the extremely poor mismanagement of both the Petracca and Oliver situations as well as the poor culture that has ket these issues fester. You can try and shut down discussion of that and be a mindless cheerleader happy to see the club slide back to irrelevance but that won't make the problems go away and won't stop people discussing it.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

36 minutes ago, Antioch said:

Telling someone that they're not a supporter when they critique the club is so dumb. 

And where was anyone saying that the media is perfect?

• Like 5

On 09/10/2024 at 19:43, Oxdee said:

Unfortunately the fact that this rumour hasn’t been put to bed usually means that there is a strong possibility that Oliver will be traded. At no point in time has Oliver actually come out and said that he is staying. As it stands today, Oliver is out the door. 

I’ll say it again. At this stage a trade is more likely than not. 

The supporters on this forum have their heads in the sand. 

Oliver doesn’t want to play for Melbourne and is trying to find any chance to leave. Even take a pay cut. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

I’ll say it again. At this stage a trade is more likely than not. 

The supporters on this forum have their heads in the sand. 

Oliver doesn’t want to play for Melbourne and is trying to find any chance to leave. Even take a pay cut. 

I believe this to be true also, be prepared everyone . We love our players but I feel like this gets done .

• Shocked 1

How do these gutter journalists get away with saying things like it’s his dream to play with Geelong?

When has he ever said that?

How they continuously get away with making things up?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adonski said:

via The Age

Clayton Oliver has started his own pre-season early, as the 27-year-old clings on to hope that Melbourne will trade him to Geelong before next Wednesday’s deadline.

The four-time Melbourne best and fairest has been spotted several times in his home town of Shepparton this week, training weights and running.

A source at Geelong, who wasn’t willing to speak publicly given that Oliver still has six years of his contract still to run at Melbourne, said the star midfielder was willing to take a pay cut if it helped get a deal across the line.
....But Melbourne’s strong stance has not dampened the appetite of Oliver, who remains in contact with the Cats.

A pay cut may help the Demons reconsider a trade, but two club sources remained staunch when contacted by this masthead on Thursday. They said a deal to move Oliver to the Cats would not be entertained.

Oliver is contracted until the end of 2030 at an average of $1.3 million per season.

While all three parties – Melbourne, Geelong and Oliver’s management – have privately confirmed that the Cats’ future first-round pick in next year’s national draft had been initially raised, they say there is yet to be a meaningful trade offer beyond that.

Whats telling is in the comments section of the Facebook post of the article, one comment in particular from Michelle Oliver, Clarry’s mum. 

0b30c9ae-7e4b-4d7c-a07e-f4d91365b4d8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Whats telling is in the comments section of the Facebook post of the article, one comment in particular from Michelle Oliver, Clarry’s mum. 

0b30c9ae-7e4b-4d7c-a07e-f4d91365b4d8.jpeg

Well it’d be telling if she said anything relevant about whether he wants to stay or not. 

• Like 2