POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

Just a shout out to the DL faithful in this thread. A lot of good moods and happy supporters. Very few moodkillers being negative or grandstanders demanding that people apologise to someone who 'proved them wrong' tonight.

Good job DL, pats on the back!

Edited by layzie
  • Like 7

The best part of the last few weeks has been the emergence of some of our youngsters. 

Oh and by the way Essendrug are a pack of front running soft buddies who couldn't run through wet lettuce.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Some other thoughts: Melksham has made such a difference that I'm starting to think his ACL might have cost us a flag. Disco Turner is kicking for my life no doubt about it. McVee is unbeatable. It was great to see Jake Lever so invested and celebrating appropriately on the siren. May is as stiff as a board but still playing great. 

And finally, 22 is an actual disgrace. I generally don't like to mention them but he deserves a special mention. Some of his decision making defied logic. 

Apart from losing Gus and some truly terrifyingly bad kicking for goal, nobody is arguing with you. Melk going down was a disaster and definitely was a massive factor 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

The only thing the “Package” 🤮 has done in pre season is eat McDonalds and apparently take up a new religion. 

He actually worked out at my gym over the Christmas period here in the inner west (I’m assuming because it was AFLPA mandated time away from the club).

He does not have the body of an elite athlete (and I’d know, neither do I).

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Fence has already posted on this thread. Blow me down with a feather - it was another broken record post about bringing in Jefferson, just like the other three hundred.

Some bloke called up SEN about 20 mins ago to pot Petty and spruik Jefferson …. PF?? 👀

• Haha 10

20 minutes ago, Dee-tonator said:

Wakefield-Moniz may not have been among the standouts tonight, but for my money he has already shown enough to suggest he's a better prospect than either Woewodin or Laurie. Any thoughts?

I agree, AMW is the best of the three. Laurie won't make it. Woewodin is good enough to be a fringe AFL player, and who knows he could explode one year and win a Brownlow (it's happened before). Moniz-Wakefield has clean disposal by hands and excellent tackle pressure, shows far more than the other two in my eyes.

• Like 1

Langdon was huge tonight. A cool 30 touches and 17.4km under the belt

Screenshot_20240713-231924.png

Edited by PVardy
  • Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Clap 4

6 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

The decision to play Petty was vindicated and when Petty struggled in the centre bounces early, Disco hitting the scoreboard meant we could afford JVR in the ruck more.

What?

Vindicated when Petty struggled in the centre bounces early? That's what he was picked for!

Afford JVR in the ruck more? Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Petty was uncompetitive in the ruck in the 1st where he was dragged, and forced us to lose JVR out of the forward 50, where Petty was again uncompetitive in the forward line. We may as well have played with one less player.

If someone can highlight a 1v1 victory he had all night, that would be great.

Petty apologists are nuffies. You can't possibly have viewed that game and suggest Petty was worth selecting. May as well have played K Brown if JVR was going to ruck for 3/4.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Supdeano said:

What?

Vindicated when Petty struggled in the centre bounces early? That's what he was picked for!

Petty was uncompetitive in the ruck in the 1st where he was dragged, and forced us to lose JVR out of the forward 50, where Petty was again uncompetitive in the forward line. We may as well have played with one less player.

Petty apologists are nuffies. You can't possibly have viewed that game and suggest Petty was worth selecting. May as well have played K Brown if JVR was going to ruck for 3/4.

He’s an injured mid 20s premiership key defender playing ruck and full forward. It’s f ing madness. He just has to go back

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Supdeano said:

What?

Who won? 12+ in clearances. Off you pop.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Clap 3
  • Facepalm 1

Tremendous win. I’ve read the comments on this board for 10 years and generally never felt the need to add my voice to the many reasoned, cogent and considered comments. However, having noticed a growing trend for commentary against Goodwin and Oliver, I feel the need to speak up. The former delivered the first premiership for the club in 57 years and has turned around an absolute [censored] show, imbuing the group with the character on show tonight. The latter, regardless of how you personally judge him, is arguably the most influential player to ever pull on the red and blue. 4 best and fairests are some proof. Others in that conversation are Barassi, Flower, Gawn and possibly Petracca. I digress. As it transpired the move not to replace Gawn tonight was the right call, despite many using it as a platform to deride the coach yet again. We are two kicks from second on the ladder, and have an exciting young crop coming though. Windsor will be a star.

Edited by JamesE
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8
  • Clap 4

2 minutes ago, Supdeano said:

Petty apologists are nuffies.

Plenty of nuffies around.  This is your post after last year's finals loss to Carlton.

...If McDonald ever pulls on a dees jumper again I'll eat my fist...

How's that typing with one hand working out for you?

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 19
  • Clap 4

56 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

Picket fence right behind him. Haven't seen him on this thread yet.

'shotty front spot' being urban slang for shotgun or 'i'm claiming front spot'.

11 minutes ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Some bloke called up SEN about 20 mins ago to pot Petty and spruik Jefferson …. PF?? 👀

I heard it.

The biggest footy chumps are the ones that still call up talk back radio, way worse than here.

After the Geelong game a guy who sounded in his 30s or 40s called up to give JVR a massive plug and then in the next sentence said he had no idea why people boo him at games..

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Tremendous win. I’ve read the comments on this board for 10 years and generally never felt the need to add my voice to the many reasoned, cogent and considered comments. However, having noticed a growing trend for commentary against Goodman and Oliver, I feel the need to speak up. The former delivered the first premiership for the club in 57 years and has turned around an absolute [censored] show, imbuing the group with the character on show tonight. The latter, regardless of how you personally judge him, is arguably the most influential player to ever pull on the red and blue. 4 best and fairests are some proof. Others in that conversation are Barassi, Flower, Gawn and possibly Petracca. I digress. As it transpired the move not to replace Gawn tonight was the right call, despite many using it as a platform to deride the coach yet again. We are two kicks from second on the ladder, and have an exciting young crop coming though. Windsor will be a star.

Post some more please. We could do with less mindless negativity on here.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, layzie said:

I heard it.

The biggest footy chumps are the ones that still call up talk back radio, way worse than here.

After the Geelong game a guy who sounded in his 30s or 40s called up to give JVR a massive plug and then in the next sentence said he had no idea why people boo him at games..

His name was Rob. I heard him too. King of the nuffies. Not many supporter groups would call up and whinge about a player after a great win. Probably one of those MCC supporters that yells kick it every seconds. No feel for the game at all.

That's not to say I'm not excited about Jefferson and I think he'll play this year.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Supdeano said:

What?

Genuinely asking, what would you have done? 

Great win. Not so much because of the opposition (I don't rate Essendon. They're fraudulent). But because of how we played. That's the way we need to play, and if we bring that more often than not for the last 6 games, we're right in with a chance.

Windsor's skills on a wet night were insane. Pickett played with a focus that makes him so much better. McVee continues to play like a 200-gamer. May was better (but still a major problem with ground balls). Disco is really developing his positioning and leading (and the kicking is *chef's kiss*), and Melksham makes us a much more dangerous proposition forward of centre.

JVR's job in the ruck bailing out Petty, ANB's job on Merrett, and Oliver's ability to get into the game and put his usual skills on show in the wet were, IMO, key reasons we turned it around after going down a couple of goals early. Loved Clarry's game actually - not a stand out dominant midfield performance but a role played really well when he clearly isn't at 100% Clarry power.

The JVR thing is a positive and a negative - Petty in the ruck just didn't work and I don't like rucking JVR into oblivion. If Darcy's back next week, he's a Draper body with a brain and he could really smack JVR around. I don't like that match up, personally.

I really liked AMW's game early, but he was flagging and I think the right call to sub. However, Bowey is just right off as well. Not sure whether Woey can grab that spot off him.

Disappointing to lose 2% from when we were 41 up, and more disappointing to have let them back into it, but that was partly due to umpiring and surely partly due to them having an 8 day break compared to our 6. Also we were on average a full year younger than them (25yr 4 m compared to 26yr 3m).

I said pre-game that this season is up for grabs. The Dogs winning doesn't help but Carlton losing means, as has been pointed out already, that we're now 1 game out of 2nd and just a draw out of 4th. Funnily enough though, we're a good chance of not even being in the 8 by the end of this round (Port, Brisbane and GWS win and we slide to 9th). 

Next week is, though, really tough. We're Fremantle's bunnies and they'll be smarting from their loss today. But a win next week...hoo boy.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Who won? 12+ in clearances. Off you pop.

Which were mainly off the back off JVR workhorse performance and our mids working around him.

Petty was absolutely horrendous tonight. Even Goody acknowledged that by throwing JVR into the ruck into the second quarter that turned the game for us. Our own senior coach is pretty much admitting that Petty was pretty much ordinary in the ruck.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, layzie said:

Just a shout out to the DL faithful in this thread. A lot of good moods and happy supporters. Very few moodkillers being negative or grandstanders demanding that people apologise to someone who 'proved them wrong' tonight.

Good job DL, pats on the back!

Yep. I vote for a group hug and chorus of 'Kumbaya'.

.... like we did back in the 70's at the love fests.

• Love 1