Please get off Clarry's back. Show some respect!

On 24/06/2024 at 22:06, binman said:

Say what you want about clarry, but even in his current form he is a better option than any mid running around at Casey. 

They're using AFL matches to get  him fit. We might still see clarry somewhere near his best by seasons end.

Wishful thinking.

On current form, Mitch White is a better option. If only he had a contract....

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Vomit 1

6 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Of course not, but the lack of EMPATHY for a one of our very best who has gone through a hell of a lot (more than most know), is staggering. 

It is fine to suggest he’s down on form. Do you not think he and the club are aware of that? Is there any suggestion anywhere that he isn’t working hard to get back to his best?

But maybe, just maybe, the fact that he’s doing well off the field is just slightly more of a focus right now than his on field performance. 

We are shocked and saddened when McCarthy takes his life, but we are so happy to get stuck into players who are “overweight”, “useless”, “out of form”, “slow” etc without caring at all for what they are going thru personally. 

The fact that Oliver is playing at all this year, and with a smile on his face, is a goddamn blessing and he has done more than enough for this club to be given grace from the fans, as he has been given from the club. 

Since his debut he has never missed a beat until last year. He was dominating games at 18. So he’s having an average season. It happens. 

(I am not having a go at you btw!) 

Thanks for that piece of sanity.

Yes, Clayton is not playing up to his lofty standards, but isn’t this Aussie tall poppy syndrome on the part of gutter “journalists” to get clicks?  Beat the guy down then feign sympathy if he cracks. Hypocritical 💩💩

His best is THE best but even now he is far better than any who could be called upon to replace him, or are some calling for his head think Laurie or Billings could stand in 10% as well as Oliver?

3 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

That’s because the dogs don’t defend so he had the liberty to run amok. 

I also listened to that Gawn interview and I think we just wait and see how we can get him involved more. Unfortunately he might be tagged again this week but you’d imagine he’d have no excuses against West Coast.

I’m 100% backing Clarry to get back to his best. It might not happen completely by the end of this year but he’s too good of player to fade into obscurity. I’m tipping his 2025 will be huge and he’ll remind us how good he really is.

As suggested earlier by another poster, maybe we should try Clarry tagging Neale?  Then, would Brisbane have to tag a tagger?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Billy said:

Why a different role???

He got 35 possessions against the Doggies round two, playing how Clarry has always played 

Contested ball, tackling & running full pace out of congestion dishing off & getting other players involved 

Thats how he became one of the top three players in the competition 

I don’t believe this stuff about his fitness, he’s had 15 weeks of competitive football, and now he’s losing fitness?

Need just let him play the only way he knows 

Im sure he realises that he owes the club

Maybe listen to how Gawn explains what Clarrys role has been which (as I said) will now change as Trac is out. Not sure where I stated his possession count ..fitness .. etc . was not up to scratch. It’s not too hard to listen to Gawn …very enlightening actually. A lot more enlightening than what gets thrown around here, 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Deestar9 said:

Maybe listen to how Gawn explains what Clarrys role has been which (as I said) will now change as Trac is out. Not sure where I stated his possession count ..fitness .. etc . was not up to scratch. It’s not too hard to listen to Gawn …very enlightening actually. A lot more enlightening than what gets thrown around here, 

I think you're right, from here on out the midfield is going to look a lot different to how we know it. As will their individual roles. 

Risks will be taken and when they pay off we'll see masterstrokes like Rivers through the middle. Plenty to play for and plenty of potential silver linings to come out of the setbacks. 

• Like 4

Have been a long-time reader of this forum and I must say, it's become very vanilla, protected and increasingly PC over the years. 

I think it's okay for supporters to come to a sites like this and criticise aspects of the club, coach and even players if they're not performing. As long as it's done within reason. It seems if you don't display constant toxic positivity around anything Melbourne fc, you open yourself up to be ridiculed and/or banned, some posters I really enjoyed reading over the years seem to have left. 

The Clayton Oliver issue is one that should welcome honest criticism and feedback among supporters and I can't quite understand why posters feel the need to start a thread defending him when his form is cause for concern has been for months now? Are people really that precious? 

My opinion of Clayton's clear drop off is that he's not fit, powerful or mentally strong enough which one can accept given the interrupted pre-season he had. I don't buy that he had 'no pre-season', those calls make no sense as he wouldn't be playing if he had no pre-season. 

But clearly to the eye, his body shape has changed and that could be due to any number of things. Professionalism around diet, sleep, night time activity, medication and of course lack of physical conditioning.

Its been a double-whammy for us because his undeniable strengths as a ferocious ball winner and clearance king have been enormously impacted by his broken pre-season which has led to him being even further exposed due to his weaknesses. Weaknesses being, ball use, decision making, scoreboard impact. 

Clayton is not a well-rounded mid. He's a mid that is elite in facets of the game and is average to weak in others. And now that he's strengths are not on display, his contribution is almost non-existent at times. 

Now, I think it's more than reasonable to make that observation/call without the need for posters to cry 'leave him alone'. The worry for me is more around a trait that Simon Godwin possesses. Desperation. For one, I was extremely surprised to see Clayton back playing in round 1 having barely played in match sim and or pre-season games at AFL level and lack of any meaningful form before he was played. That move just smells of Godwin's desperation. This is when we had an entire midfield brigade to choose from and there was absolutely no pressure to bring him in. 

Here we are, over halfway through the season and Clayton's clear lack of conditioning due to his broken pre-season and whatever else is going on behind the scenes has been on display week-in, week-out and is now even more in the spotlight given Trac's absence. 

Goody has done Clayton and the club no favours by declaring him 'fit' and 'ready to go' when it was clear to see he wasn't. His contribution is meaningless atm due to what I've outlined and this is simply another call made by Goodwin out of desperation and stubbornness. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3
  • Facepalm 3

22 minutes ago, middleagedemon said:

Have been a long-time reader of this forum and I must say, it's become very vanilla, protected and increasingly PC over the years. 

I think it's okay for supporters to come to a sites like this and criticise aspects of the club, coach and even players if they're not performing. As long as it's done within reason. It seems if you don't display constant toxic positivity around anything Melbourne fc, you open yourself up to be ridiculed and/or banned, some posters I really enjoyed reading over the years seem to have left. 

The Clayton Oliver issue is one that should welcome honest criticism and feedback among supporters and I can't quite understand why posters feel the need to start a thread defending him when his form is cause for concern has been for months now? Are people really that precious? 

My opinion of Clayton's clear drop off is that he's not fit, powerful or mentally strong enough which one can accept given the interrupted pre-season he had. I don't buy that he had 'no pre-season', those calls make no sense as he wouldn't be playing if he had no pre-season. 

But clearly to the eye, his body shape has changed and that could be due to any number of things. Professionalism around diet, sleep, night time activity, medication and of course lack of physical conditioning.

Its been a double-whammy for us because his undeniable strengths as a ferocious ball winner and clearance king have been enormously impacted by his broken pre-season which has led to him being even further exposed due to his weaknesses. Weaknesses being, ball use, decision making, scoreboard impact. 

Clayton is not a well-rounded mid. He's a mid that is elite in facets of the game and is average to weak in others. And now that he's strengths are not on display, his contribution is almost non-existent at times. 

Now, I think it's more than reasonable to make that observation/call without the need for posters to cry 'leave him alone'. The worry for me is more around a trait that Simon Godwin possesses. Desperation. For one, I was extremely surprised to see Clayton back playing in round 1 having barely played in match sim and or pre-season games at AFL level and lack of any meaningful form before he was played. That move just smells of Godwin's desperation. This is when we had an entire midfield brigade to choose from and there was absolutely no pressure to bring him in. 

Here we are, over halfway through the season and Clayton's clear lack of conditioning due to his broken pre-season and whatever else is going on behind the scenes has been on display week-in, week-out and is now even more in the spotlight given Trac's absence. 

Goody has done Clayton and the club no favours by declaring him 'fit' and 'ready to go' when it was clear to see he wasn't. His contribution is meaningless atm due to what I've outlined and this is simply another call made by Goodwin out of desperation and stubbornness. 

i agree with a lot of this except for the last paragraph

he is fit and hot to go as evidenced by his best games, albeit not to his normal lofty standard, a standard which i would say he hasn't approached since his hamstring tendon injury against the pear last year

he's had one shocking game against a super hard tag

he's experienced that before; he'll experience that again

the truth is he's still more valuable to the side being out there and copping a hard tag and 'losing' the battle' than not being out there at all

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Deestar9 said:

Fortunately or unfortunately I take what the club says by Goodwin or Max defending Oliver not in the same way as other people as the more you come out defending something the more there must be something else syndrome even though in reality there is nothing there.  

This club has a habit of coming out defending themselves whether it's players problems or club issues and it only keeps the fuse lit. Now I am in favour of making a statement on matters and then shut up about it people can believe what they want to believe and you won't change their mind anyway especially the media.

9 minutes ago, middleagedemon said:

Now duck you head.....

• Like 1

It was great to see Clarry in the recent video on the website having fun and looking really healthy and happy.

I am very confident Clarry will get back to his best at some point, either late this year but if not I expect him to really explode next year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

he is fit and hot to go as evidenced by his best games, albeit not to his normal lofty standard, a standard which i would say he hasn't approached since his hamstring tendon injury against the pear last year

the truth is he's still more valuable to the side being out there and copping a hard tag and 'losing\' the battle' than not being out there at all

It's the level of his performances, his inconsistency and his visible body shape that are the clear indicators that he's not fit enough. 

The word 'fit' is misleading. I don't purely mean aerobically fit. 

As stated, I think he's undone in many areas. Aerobic fitness, power and strength, his intensity doesn't look the same. There's a lot there that is showing. 

As far as being more valuable to the side than anyone else at VFL level, it depends on a lot. It depends on what the plan is, where you are placed as a side etc. Goodwin is coaching for the season atm. There's a lot tied into that. All I know is that he shows his desperation and stubbornness too often and this season we've had underperforming senior players who Goodwin hasn't been willing to drop. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, middleagedemon said:

It's the level of his performances, his inconsistency and his visible body shape that are the clear indicators that he's not fit enough. 

The word 'fit' is misleading. I don't purely mean aerobically fit. 

As stated, I think he's undone in many areas. Aerobic fitness, power and strength, his intensity doesn't look the same. There's a lot there that is showing. 

As far as being more valuable to the side than anyone else at VFL level, it depends on a lot. It depends on what the plan is, where you are placed as a side etc. Goodwin is coaching for the season atm. There's a lot tied into that. All I know is that he shows his desperation and stubbornness too often and this season we've had underperforming senior players who Goodwin hasn't been willing to drop. 

we're placed as a side two games from 2nd on the ladder so i would say yr in it to win it until yr not

oliver is far, far more valuable as such in the senior side - they call it 'value over replacement player' in baseball, which measures "how much a hitter or pitcher contributes to their team in comparison to a replacement-level player who is an average fielder at that position and a below average hitter"

i don't know how you'd measure it in the afl, but oliver's vorp would, i suspect, be significantly higher than any other midfielder we currently have running around for us at vfl level and probably over anyone else bar max and possibly lever in the afl side this round

for me the notable change - again, since the hamstring tendon injury - is in clayton's ability to power out of contests

he's not using his legs anymore and his defensive workrate has definitely got progressively worse since the premiership so he can't make up for it by doing the little things that he used to do

the notion of him playing vfl just doesn't make sense to me 

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

the truth is he's still more valuable to the side being out there and copping a hard tag and 'losing' the battle' than not being out there at all

Exactly. His stats are not bad at all for our cause. Just not his usual high standard ones.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2024 at 22:11, dazzledavey36 said:

He's been quoted as using this same philosophy at the Swans when he had the likes of Goodes, Hall, Kirk, Micky O etc.

I'm also a big believer in this. Every player has a price and a trade capital. I think a genuine fresh start could actually benefit him similar to how Jesse Hogan is reaping those benefits. 

It won't happen though, no one will touch his contract.

While I understand the Hogan clearance issue for the Club I still look at Jesse and how much better our forward line would be now with him as spearhead. 

I don’t fancy seeing Clarry in another Guernsey helping them up Finals whilst out mids sort out their level in our midfield of the future. 

Trading is a two way art and there teams  with mids who shouldn’t even be alliwed to do up Clarry’s bootlaces. 

It is a panic measure to clear Clarry based on 2024 form just the same as Harry Petty. 

Those D/Landers that wanted to clear Trac at the end of 2019 were just the sort of impatient fans that don’t understand sport or the AFL and the same is playing out now. 

Don’t think we will see either Clarry or Petts and it may have something to do with their very early intro to this season and their not  in great form consistently in 2024. But a full pre season can change things around dramatically. 

If that happens our team already looks 4/5 goals better. 

3 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

You must luuuuurve my posts then. 😂

”Toxic positivity” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

All fair enough except the last bit. He was excellent in Round 1 against the Dogs and was instrumental in our win against Port with a classic Oliver last quarter. The Swans have proven how good their midfield is so no shame in a below average showing there. Others have alluded to the impact his broken hand may of had. I’m expecting his form to improve as clearly he was poor against North. It’s a big game for many reasons this Friday night. 

• Like 1

I can't help but feel that if Clarry was to play VFL in response to being down on form, as many have called for, then those same folk would be criticising and piling on their fave whipping boys Laurie and Billings... Catch 22, but there's not much big picture thinking happening when it comes to repetitive emotional venting. 

Discussion and constructive criticism is important (and venting in the immediacy of the Game Day thread and shortly thereafter also serves some purpose) but weeks of griping and piling on does not a constructive discussion make...

• Like 1

Oliver will get back to his best but the reality he has deficiencies in his game but some people won't or don't admit it.  Let's look at positives he is one that has decent pace, one of the best to be able to stand up in a tackle and dish the ball out, great hands picking up the ball from the ground and quick hands to get the ball out and that's great but here is where he struggles to Impact the game at an even better level, his disposals by foot are not A grade he mainly gets the ball and bangs it on the foot without looking thus creating turnovers, his decision making at times when cornered is rushed, but we got away with it because of game style of contested possessions game and now it's more of a running game it is being shown out.

Now people will comeback with how many possessions he gets and the reality of stats is how you want to read them if Oliver has thirty five possessions but 10 to 12 of them are ineffective how do rate that, if 6 of those results in the the opposition scoring goes how do you rate that and if his opponent has created scoring opportunities on those turnovers how do you rate that.

I think if they put in the time with him working on his deficiencies he will reach a better standard of an elite midfielder. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

Doesn't matter how well you wrote this post, there will always be people on here who only want to read what THEY  WANT TO READ.

The facepalm reactions usually reveal their identities and often they don't belong in public or any kind of social setting. They usually have no friends and find coming on a forum like this the easiest thing to do from under their rock or echo chamber. 

A person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still and the sooner we learn to live and let live, the better. 

Edited by layzie
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Fortunately or unfortunately I take what the club says by Goodwin or Max defending Oliver not in the same way as other people as the more you come out defending something the more there must be something else syndrome even though in reality there is nothing there.  

This club has a habit of coming out defending themselves whether it's players problems or club issues and it only keeps the fuse lit. Now I am in favour of making a statement on matters and then shut up about it people can believe what they want to believe and you won't change their mind anyway especially the media.

OMG …I’ll say this once more …there was no defending of Clarry !! Gawn (I made no mention of Goodwin) was merely explaining a different quite unselfish role Clarry has  been playing and BTW he wasn’t the only player discussed or the only player whose role will now change with Trac missing. I personally found it interesting as sometimes in the “heat” of the game you miss these things. So just an informative conversation …maybe do yourself a favour & listen rather than make your own unfounded comments!!

13 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

OMG …I’ll say this once more …there was no defending of Clarry !! Gawn (I made no mention of Goodwin) was merely explaining a different quite unselfish role Clarry has  been playing and BTW he wasn’t the only player discussed or the only player whyingose role will now change with Trac missing. I personally found it interesting as sometimes in the “heat” of the game you miss these things. So just an informative conversation …maybe do yourself a favour & listen rather than make your own unfounded comments!!

Now this is typical on how people react just jump in with big mouths without understanding what I am saying, try that first, it was about always coming out defending on any issue when things are not going well.

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

Now this is typical on how people react just jump in with big mouths without understanding what I am saying, try that first, it was about always coming out defending on any issue when things are not going well.

🤷‍♂️🤷 🤷🏼‍♀️

On 26/06/2024 at 14:31, FearTheBeard said:

Having a go at the IQ of some people and yet you can't spell "you're" correctly.

He is overweight for a footballer because he had no pre-season and was practically off the rails for 3 months. 

I was told to have a look at the game and retorted with I haven't missed one all year, nothing about being entitled to my opinions, just that I go to and watch all our games and then go home and watch the replay.

Go and take your pot shots at people to Bigfooty if you want to make an account just to have a go at people. 

yeah he is fat... lachie neal is also overweight according to you. only have 6 till almost half time. Moron 

On 26/06/2024 at 14:31, FearTheBeard said:

Having a go at the IQ of some people and yet you can't spell "you're" correctly.

He is overweight for a footballer because he had no pre-season and was practically off the rails for 3 months. 

I was told to have a look at the game and retorted with I haven't missed one all year, nothing about being entitled to my opinions, just that I go to and watch all our games and then go home and watch the replay.

Go and take your pot shots at people to Bigfooty if you want to make an account just to have a go at people. 

13 and 1 goal leading everyone on the park... must be overweight... IQ low, told you.