POSTGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

8 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Trading up a stack of decent picks to get Tholstrup seems a bit silly too now (nothing against Kolt) . But none of that is JT’s fault. 

Surely JT would have a fair say on that one? 

• Like 2

It is the gameplan but it's also the players; 

• 5 seriously down on expected form; Petty, Viney, Oliver, Bowey & Sparrow
  • 5 being played out of position; Petty, ANB, Kozzy, Rivers & Langdon 
  • 2 not suitably fit enough or capable of meeting the requirements of the level; McAdam & Hunter 
  • 2 critically important to our structure not playing; Lever & JVR 
  • 2 removed from the list; Brayshaw and Smith (a massive handicap vs every other team)
  • 0 back up for Max (v Freo), JVR does a manful job but it does rob us of a forward 
    • 2 recruited for the role completely unseen and unlikely to provide any relief; Schache & Fullarton
  • Like 9
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

It is the gameplan but it's also the players; 

• 5 seriously down on expected form; Petty, Viney, Oliver, Bowey & Sparrow
  • 5 being played out of position; Petty, ANB, Kozzy, Rivers & Langdon 
  • 2 not suitably fit enough or capable of meeting the requirements of the level; McAdam & Hunter 
  • 2 critically important to our structure not playing; Lever & JVR 
  • 2 removed from the list; Brayshaw and Smith (a massive handicap vs every other team)
  • 0 back up for Max (v Freo), JVR does a manful job but it does rob us of a forward 
    • 2 recruited for the role completely unseen and unlikely to provide any relief; Schache & Fullarton

All legitimate Reasons 

I think we have some off field problems as well. It all compounds. We haven’t been “right” all year 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Do other posters feel like the wheels have completely fallen off?

I mean to be beaten is one thing but by almost 100 points is just humiliation.

It's right off the back of being thumped by a lowly eagles team a fortnight ago.

So it's not an aberration.  I'm not sure what such a thumping does to a team's confidence but I guess we will find out against the pies.

The lack of fight back in the second half was not the way we have played in the last four years.

We gave up at halftime and it was Mfc of old unfortunately.

Maybe we will scrape into the final eight but it looks like dark years ahead. Again. We will probably be like the Western dogs for a while and hover around eight to tenth spot or a couple of years and then who knows.

It's hard to be positive after a belting like that in this day and age

Id suggest a change of coach at the end of the year. Not because Goody has failed. He hasn't, he got us a flag. But it's time for some new blood in the role and time to build our list up again.

Max is getting on in years and we need to find another ruckman. Asap. JV is looking slow and tired. Sparrow is not really a midfielder.  Bbb is past it. We can't have players moved on from other clubs like Schache, Hunter, Billings, Fullerton and McAdam taking up spots.

It's time to prune at the end of this busted season and start a fresh.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Fritta and Turner said:

I would assume our trades have been poor due to a tight salary cap; dont have the $$$$ to splash

This is a significant factor I feel.

We went into retention mode post grand final and signed up our stars to long term deals. We retained our core players, lost some depth and tried to replenish that with other players outside of teams best 22 on low $ while attempting to trade as high as we could to bring quality youth.

We should start to get some wiggle room, as early as this year, to make a play for established best 22 players rather than peripheral depth. Pending details on Brayshaws contract situation.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2

I don't believe that selling our home game to the NT is costing us wins. Yesterday's game would have been played at Marvel if it wasn't at Traeger. If Richmond and Collingwood can't get 11 home games at the MCG what makes anyone think we would? Yesterday we would have lost by 92 points at Docklands in front of 10,000 people. Instead the club made $800,000 in appearance fees. 

• Like 9

Watched some of the replay. I know, why would you.

I noticed May had a severe case of the fumbles. 

And I don't get why are handballing was so prolific and often intercepted.

It looked at if players were afraid to back themselves.

Finally our tackling was as soft as it gets. Looked like bruise free footy. The body language spoke volumes too.

• Like 2

I think it is premature to just say start over. Whilst I agree it not looking good the reality is where one game off third. As Max pointed out we have been pretty good at bouncing back. Let just get through KB there are some proud players in our group surely there will be a response. Getting fired up for KB at the G compared to back of Bourke should not be a problem. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Our first quarters have been a chronic issue for us this year. Unless we're in front at quarter time or within a goal of the lead (per the 2 SA games) then we're utterly toast. Put your hands us if you knew we were no chance at quarter time yesterday with a 3 goal deficit despite the perfect weather. 

Backing up wins has also been a major problem since our successful SA trip when we were still in "us against the media world" mentality. Aside from the first 5 minutes of the game, we looked completely paralysed and despondent in the Brisbane, Carlton, West Coast and Freo games after successful results the week before. Our inability to stem the early first quarter bleeing has been deplorable in our losses.

Conversely, we do back up after poor performances, and I'm sure we'll get a first quarter/half/full game response on Monday, meaning we're just going around in circles this year.

Another bug bear of mine yesterday was the slow jogging and poor body language in the second half by some of the players. Just because you're losers on the scoreboard, doesn't mean you have to act and behave like losers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

All legitimate Reasons 

I think we have some off field problems as well. It all compounds. We haven’t been “right” all year 

Agree, some offield problems no doubt bit every club would have them. Might ours be worse than others? Maybe. Ours do seem to get aired on public to a greater extent and then beaten like a drum by the media ad nauseum. 

I personally dont think we shooting straight to the bottom.

Oliver and Viney will return to form, both are A grade as are Gawn, lever, may, Fritsch and kozzy. 

Some of our B grades are very good, ANB, Langdon and rivers 

We have some young players with upside JVR, Windsor, mcvee, bowey, kolt, Jeffo

Petty goes next year, need to find a forward and a mid that can make a real difference. Don't have to be superstars but need to buy in, work hard and ideally have some X factor. 

We owe to max, and the other leaders that have been loyal, to open the cheque book and not take no for an answer just like we did to get may, lever and Langdon 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Agree, some offield problems no doubt bit every club would have them. Might ours be worse than others? Maybe. Ours do seem to get aired on public to a greater extent and then beaten like a drum by the media ad nauseum. 

Oliver and Viney will return to form, both are A grade as are Gawn, lever, may, Fritsch and kozzy. 

Petty goes next year, need to find a forward and a mid that can make a real difference. Don't have to be superstars but need to buy in, work hard and ideally have some X factor. 

We owe to max, and the other leaders that have been loyal, to open the cheque book and not take no for an answer just like we did to get may, lever and Langdon 

We lose games to WC by 60 points and Fremantle by 92 in 3 weeks we have major problems at the club 

Don’t hide from it. Something is not right 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Watched some of the replay. I know, why would you.

I noticed May had a severe case of the fumbles. 

And I don't get why are handballing was so prolific and often intercepted.

It looked at if players were afraid to back themselves.

Finally our tackling was as soft as it gets. Looked like bruise free footy. The body language spoke volumes too.

Backing themselves missing - handball at all costs with all carelessness - at least it's a disposal for the stats; soft tackling - with our injuries, outs and recoveries - if I avoid an injury, and considering our 'outs', I will probably get a game again next week, regardless.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Backing themselves missing - handball at all costs with all carelessness - at least it's a disposal for the stats; soft tackling - with our injuries, outs and recoveries - if I avoid an injury, and considering our 'outs', I will probably get a game again next week, regardless.

Also our prime kicks ala rivers and bowey were shanking it constantly.. their development has really stalled

Edited by kozzyisalegend
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

He and van Rooyen haven't been failures but the rest have. Taylor reminds of Cameron. Cameron couldn't do a thing wrong before they made the grand final after that he couldn't do a thing right. Taylor the same.

It’s not reasonable to judge this period compared to prior to our gf win. We were [censored] for years so could draft well. Now we can’t because we don’t have access to the top ten. It’s the reality of being a good side. Trading is also hard to judge. It’s only about who’s available. Soon enough we will have three top ten draft picks again and around and around we shall go. I have much preferred this period than any other in my life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further to my post on selection,

Casey have been reasonably competitive, depending a little on how many MFC listed players actually take the field. There have only been two blow outs, 41 points loss to Hawks, round 1 and 32 points loss to Willy, round 6. Other losses have been -20, -14, -13, and -7. Those scores suggest to me that a solid game for Casey gives a listed player the right to feel he is on track to be considered for senior selection if the opportunity arises.

AMW has averaged 24.5 disposals in 9 games

K Brown has averaged 18 disposals in 9 games

Fullarton has averaged 17 disposals in 7 games

It is a much healthier club that recognizes performances by fringe players at the lower level and rewards consistent effort rather than gifts 'name' players games when they aren't performing at either level.

• Clap 2

36 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

It wasn't just the handballs it was the way they handballed at players feet, missed targets, taking the wrong option and some players who cannot use their opposite sides of their body, kicks that cannot make 20 metres or kick over a player when they are 10 metres clear, most of day it was a lack of skills.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

It wasn't just the handballs it was the way they handballed at players feet, missed targets, taking the wrong option and some players who cannot use their opposite sides of their body, kicks that cannot make 20 metres or kick over a player when they are 10 metres clear, most of day it was a lack of skills.

It seemed that with those many errant disposals, players looked really disinterested and at a loss as to what to do.

That was one of the worst efforts I've seen from us for eons.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

It seemed that with those many errant disposals, players looked really disinterested and at a loss as to what to do.

That was one of the worst efforts I've seen from us for eons.

Not wrong was expecting some sort of comeback but alas zip though we get the pies at the right time with their injuries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Can’t believe Petty’s dramatic drop off. He was so good for a number of games. Now barely gets near it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spargonicus said:

Can’t believe Petty’s dramatic drop off. He was so good for a number of games. Now barely gets near it.

His mind is elsewhere….

• Like 2

Skills have been very good to excellent in other games. TAB still have us $10 for the flag as 5th favourite.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3