CASEY: Rd 10 vs Coburg

12 hours ago, kozzyisalegend said:

No, he was injured. And yes every game he can play is crucial for his development as he is very raw

Hard not to agree. His AFL career is clearly now in jeopardy through missing this contest with Coburg. I think he can kiss those potential Coleman medals goodbye now.

• Haha 6

50 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Desperate times, unfortunately we lost our future ruckman in Jackson.

Not sure entirely it was desperate times. 

You're never going to get a like for like for Jackson.

Literally just needed a back up ruck that can be physically competitive when needed. Fullarton is more a 200cm forward flanker.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Literally just needed a back up ruck that can be physically competitive when needed. Fullarton is more a 200cm forward flanker.

Excellent description dazzle. JVR is now doing just this  and is improving every week. You don't have to win the tap out but apply physical pressure so that the oppo ruck can't give his mids an armchair ride.

(JVR will be sorely missed today)

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Excellent description dazzle. JVR is now doing just this  and is improving every week. You don't have to win the tap out but apply physical pressure so that the oppo ruck can't give his mids an armchair ride.

(JVR will be sorely missed today)

Yeah he's surprised me how good he's been.

Ideally I'd rather JVR fully focus on being a forward but he's a competitive kid who's really competing well as an undersized 2nd ruckman.

Cam Pederson like.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I don't know how more people haven't seen it like this. The sample size is small of Fullerton forward in Brisbane but I only ever saw him kick goals being front and square roving off packs. 

We need an competitor in the air who can body. I hope to be wrong on this but I don't believe he is that as it stands.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 58er said:

Name  names Lazy please after damning about 15 players. 

Look it's just unfortunate that as it stands we've got 2 'break in case of emegency' players in an area where we really could use the help right now. 

The rest are developing players rather than bloggers obviously.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Nascent said:

Best players according to play hq.

White, Adams, Laurie, Neocleous, Steele, Edwards

White is the biggest turnover merchant ever. Laurie is so far away from the required AFL standard it is dissapionting.!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, layzie said:

Look it's just unfortunate that as it stands we've got 2 'break in case of emegency' players in an area where we really could use the help right now. 

The rest are developing players rather than bloggers obviously.

Gee Thsts a big back flip Laze.

Whilst I am disappointed that Casey can’t seem to win I actually believe that more players will be discovered out of this. 
Doesn’t make for team footy either sometimes but the good ones will survive and succeed quicker.

AMW must be getting nearer. As always our armchair experts won’t promote home unless he removes a couple of smaller flaws.  They never learn nor does Goody with some development in recruits. They are inconsistent especially in poor team. Would prefer AMW to be tried as a half forward or wing however as possible career more opportunities there. And we need anyone who can show goal sense, I suggest. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, picket fence said:

White is the biggest turnover merchant ever. Laurie is so far away from the required AFL standard it is dissapionting.!

On yesterday’s form you should add. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 58er said:

Gee Thsts a big back flip Laze.

Whilst I am disappointed that Casey can’t seem to win I actually believe that more players will be discovered out of this. 
Doesn’t make for team footy either sometimes but the good ones will survive and succeed quicker.

AMW must be getting nearer. As always our armchair experts won’t promote home unless he removes a couple of smaller flaws.  They never learn nor does Goody with some development in recruits. They are inconsistent especially in poor team. Would prefer AMW to be tried as a half forward or wing however as possible career more opportunities there. And we need anyone who can show goal sense, I suggest. 

Well I'd like to think clarification but I did dramstise it a bit and apologise.

Across the board there are fewer players currently that you feel can be called upon but admittedly there is the catch-22 that we don't know what we don't know until some of these guys get a chance. I would also like to see AMW get his shot off the bench in a high HFF spot when the time is right. Tholstrup I also think needs another chance but we'll likely be giving McAdam a block of time. 

Apart from Howes and Laurie who sounded like he had a honker the gap between best 22 and the rest has grown.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nascent said:

Best players according to play hq.

White, Adams, Laurie, Neocleous, Steele, Edwards

Adams … yes 

Laurie … NO !!! 

ANW definitely in our best.  

White is clearly trying to carry the team right now.  Edwards developed nicely into a consistent VFL player.  Steele will get poached away at year end.  He’s good.  

• Like 1

Didn’t watch the game but I just noticed that Casey only used 22 players which means that there must have been a late “out” and no emergency to cover for that player. On the face of it, that suggests some poor management on the part of the club. It’s a professional sport and even  at this level where we’re apparently not even playing to win* it’s not a good look. Was there an explanation given on the broadcast of the game?

• Sad 1

Casey were awful.

Young backline and forwards struggled, hardly a surprise there. 

Down back Howes and AMW had moments but both were too loose too often. Adams is nowhere.

Forwards weren’t terrible all things considered but couldn’t lock it in. Sestan spent the first half deep forward doing nothing. Jeffo ok I guess.

Midfield got smacked. They were slightly more effective with Verrall, Fullarton rucked a lot and was awful.

Kolt was fine, his willingness to run and tackle is much better than the rest of the Casey players.

Laurie was very poor at the stoppages. Just no grunt in his game. And too many mistakes when he gets the ball in space.

Kynan Brown also played his worst game playing a heap of midfield. Just offered no ball winning, no tackling and butchered it. Lost his talent with his hair! Hopefully he bounces back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, layzie said:

I don't know how more people haven't seen it like this. The sample size is small of Fullerton forward in Brisbane but I only ever saw him kick goals being front and square roving off packs. 

We need an competitor in the air who can body. I hope to be wrong on this but I don't believe he is that as it stands.

I certainly don't need to be proven wrong in regards to his lack of competitive edge.

It was one of the more bizarre off season recruits by us. A non competitive tall on top of already having Schache on the list. This is already a guy that hadn't played at AFL level for a top 4 team since 2022, so why on earth was it going to be any different with us.

Someone like a Mabior Chol would've made more complete sense.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I certainly don't need to be proven wrong in regards to his lack of competitive edge.

It was one of the more bizarre off season recruits by us. A non competitive tall on top of already having Schache on the list. This is already a guy that hadn't played at AFL level for a top 4 team since 2022, so why on earth was it going to be any different with us.

Someone like a Mabior Chol would've made more complete sense.

You were certainly strongly against Fullarton. I thought he had enough athleticism to give something forward (and in fairness he almost has at Casey) and that his ruck craft, like a lot of big guys when they hit mid 20’s would develop out of necessity. Simply rucking against VFL big goobers should develop anyone of 200cm at Casey. The opposite has been true. He hasn’t improved basic ruck craft at all and was pushed around with ease by Coburg’s rucks.

Our key forwards are so out of form that you’d almost consider picking him just for the sake of it now, but it would be purely forward with JVR in the ruck. And he was so bad in the ruck I’m not sure he deserves a game as a forward. 

• Like 2

CLEAN HANDS by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons headed into town and up Sydney Road to take on the lowly Coburg Lions who have been perennial VFL easy beats and sitting on one win for the season. Last year, Casey beat them in a practice match when resting their AFL listed players. That’s how bad they were.

Nobody respected them on Saturday and clearly not the Demons who came to the game with 22 players (ten MFC), but whether they came out to play is another matter because for the most part, their intensity was lacking and not many wanted to get their hands dirty. They allowed a rag tag bunch of unknowns, many of them suburban players, to overrun them and dominate proceedings after the first half hour of play with a final result, a 26 point defeat, flattering to them.

Sometimes a game of football where one team has the upper hand early and the other takes over control is called “a game of two halves”. In this instance, for the Casey Demons, it was a game of one quarter - the first. They appeared to come out firing and doubled Coburg’s score in the first quarter but even that was an illusion because they had the advantage of the early breeze.

For the Demons, at least Matt Jefferson with two goals continued on from an encouraging game last week with a couple of goals in the opening term. Mitch White led from the front and Koltyn Tholstrop and Andy Moniz-Wakefield showed a bit.

After that, it was a one way street with the home side running rings around them in the second quarter booting seven goals to one. You could tell how the enthusiastic Lions from Coburg went into the rooms at half time compared to the way their dejected opponents trudged off that it was already all over.

And so it was, although the home team only extended its lead by a mere four points in the second half.

The Demons were beaten in the ruck, at the stoppages and around the ground. Their skills were appalling at times. White stood out and did his best and he had some good lieutenants in Edwards, Neocleous and Steele. Blake Howes picked up a lot of possessions but he was always under the pump while Jed Adams and Bailey Laurie worked hard all day. Too many players came out of the game with clean hands and, unlike last week, it can’t even be said that it was a gallant defeat.

CASEY DEMONS 4.6.30 5.8.38 9.9.63 12.10.82

COBURG 2.3.15 9.6.60 14.6.90 16.12.108

GOALS

CASEY DEMONS Fullarton Jefferson Lewis Neocleous 2 Moodie Sestan Szybkowski Tholstrop 

COBURG Weightman 3 Gentile 2 Bromell Coriliano Dammersmith D’Intinosante Gillard Serong Thomas Walker 

BEST

CASEY DEMONS White Adams Laurie Neocleous Steele Edwards

COBURG Gentile Rigoni Weightman Podhajaski Bromell Trudgeon 

Statistics 

Jed Adams 7 kicks 4 handballs 11 disposals 7 marks 2 tackles 55 dream team points
Kynan Brown 7 kicks 4 handballs 11 disposals 2 marks 5 tackles 52 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 2 behinds 9 kicks 8 handballs 17 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 58 dream team points
Tom Freeman 6 kicks 3 handballs 9 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 36 dream team points
Tom Fullarton 2 goals 1 behind 11 kicks 8 handballs 19 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 18 hitouts 89 dream team points
Max Gregory 7 kicks 8 handballs 15 disposals 4 marks 5 tackles 53 dream team points
Blake Howes 24 kicks 8 handballs 32 disposals 9 marks 3 tackles 129 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 2 goals 2 behinds 8 kicks 1 handballs 9 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 59 dream team points
Brayden LaPlanche 2 kicks 5 handballs 7 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 31 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 1 behind 16 kicks 11 handballs 27 disposals 4 marks 4 tackles 100 dream team points
Caleb Lewis 2 goals 1 behind 2 kicks 1 handball 3 disposals 3 tackles 34 dream team points
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 14 kicks 15 handballs 29 disposals 7 marks 3 tackles 105 dream team points
Ned Moodie 1 goal 8 kicks 6 handballs 14 disposals 5 marks 59 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 2 goals 9 kicks 5 handballs 14 disposals 4 marks 5 tackles 82 dream team points
Ollie Sestan 1 goal 6 kicks 6 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 48 dream team points
Roan Steele 12 kicks 4 handballs 16 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 57 dream team points
Mitch Szybkowski 1 goal 4 kicks 11 handballs 15 disposals 3 marks 5 tackles 67 dream team points
Koltyn Tholstrup 1 goal 1 behind 15 kicks 6 handballs 21 disposals 6 marks 9 tackles 114 dream team points
Ryan Valentine 2 kicks 5 handballs 7 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 31 dream team points
Will Verrall 7 kicks 2 handballs 9 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 18 hitouts 57 dream team points
Mitch White 2 behinds 19 kicks 12 handballs 31 disposals 9 marks 4 tackles 124 dream team points
Kai Windsor 1 kicks 3 handballs 4 disposals 1 marks 2 tackles 20 dream team points

• Thanks 1

Blake Howes has really little impact doesn’t he. Cheap uncontested possessions off half back, takes kick outs, poor disposal, could be a decent role player one day but that’s probably it. Played his best footy on a wing in his first year tbh

• Like 1

9 tackles for the Kolt.... surely he gets another call up to try and add some pressure in the forward half this week?

I know everyone is getting stuck into Fullarton and I didn't watch the whole game, but would we be better if he played second ruck to allow JVR to only play at full forward?

• Like 2
  • Clap 1