Umpiring (Demonland in meltdown)

9 hours ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

I have never seen Max so angry as he was last night after a free was given.

...and he had every right to be. 

A decision made with poor guesswork.

An absolute howler.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rjay said:

...and he had every right to be. 

A decision made with poor guesswork.

An absolute howler.

They just went with the mantra - #freekickcarlton

• Like 2

19 hours ago, biggestred said:

Did anyone see what happened to clarry on the wing? He gave away a free kick then gave the Carlton bloke an almighty spray. So something must have happened first.

He was being held out of the contest and threw the bloke out of his way. Then at the very next contest he was being held out again farce

• Angry 2

20 hours ago, Redleg said:

Agree with you, but I have absolutely no doubt that different players are umpired differently.

Take Oliver and Cripps as examples.

Clarry is pinged for holding the ball or throwing in an instant, while Cripps is given an eternity to dispose and throws the ball without penalty regularly.

I say that from years of watching both play.

And it seems fairly clear that dob is related to the size of the crowd of the team receiving the free. 

• Love 2

18 hours ago, Jibroni said:

While the free against JVR was bizarre there were also decisions that went against Carlton. 

The constant need to blame umpires when we lose a close game is just bizarre. We did not deserve to win that game and in the end the better team won. If not for Petracca we would have lost by 5 goals.

I really think there were a lot of very soft frees paid to the blues in the first quarter. 

Carlton had all the momentum and played well but when your team is pinged 11 to 3 against like us in the 20 odd mins than that momentum was difficult to break. The frees certainly contributed.

I know we started poorly but maybe we did win if May did actually touch that kick.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Go the Biff said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist when it comes to umpires. But I agree that some individuals appear to be adjudicated differently to the majority. 

I've long thought that Cripps is a protected species 

Any bloke that gets brought back to Australia for Brownlow night is protected alright.

21 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

Reality is it is sports entertainment now and HQ are in profit maximisation mode, so $$$$$ generating teams like Collingwood, Sydney and Carlton will get a better run than other teams. Carlton Collingwood GF would generate massive revenues, even if everyone else would rather the stadium implode.

Maybe our Club thinks that generating membership and consequent crowds is the way to minimise bias umpiring.

21 hours ago, Jibroni said:

While the free against JVR was bizarre there were also decisions that went against Carlton. 

The constant need to blame umpires when we lose a close game is just bizarre. We did not deserve to win that game and in the end the better team won. If not for Petracca we would have lost by 5 goals.

Not every team that is down by 5|6 goals deserves to lose

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

20 hours ago, Redleg said:

IMG_5136.png

Even the Carlton player thought it was play on< i wonder why?

It could be that prior to start of match Voss was briefed at what was going to be the emphasis.

20 hours ago, Satan said:

The Match Review Officer graded the incident as careless conduct, low impact and high contact, drawing a $3750 fine ($2500 with an early plea).

Newman's teammate Lachie Cowan was also fined $3125 for striking Neal-Bullen in the second quarter, with that incident graded as careless conduct, low impact and body contact. Cowan can accept a $1875 fine with an early plea.

so bad i posted this elsewhere

Sounds like they get brown paper bags for certain deeds

• Angry 1

20 hours ago, Jibroni said:

They took there chances and a functioning forward line, hence on the night they were the better team. The overall statistics are no different to last year's final so either Carlton know how to play us or we are not learning.

that narrows it down....

Posted (edited)

IMG_2493.thumb.jpeg.a7b881bb43824ceb82a44044f1aae42f.jpeg

AFL’s Lex Luthor with the double-handed Cripp-o-nite hold on Clarry.

Interviewed after Thursday nights game, he agreed been pinged twice for on field transgressions was ‘unexpected’. But added Visy production of brown paper bags was now back to ‘normal.

Edited by Tarax Club

Umpires make mistakes players make a lot more of them, no score in the the first quarter was the reason not Umpires and for all those bitching and moaning give us your solution and don't say make them professional because missed frees will still occur.

36 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Umpires make mistakes players make a lot more of them, no score in the the first quarter was the reason not Umpires and for all those bitching and moaning give us your solution and don't say make them professional because missed frees will still occur.

The solution is, unfortunately, just about a complete re writing of the rules. The game is impossible to umpire.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

We  didn’t lose the game because of the umpires but the AFL absolutely need to move to a professional model. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

We  didn’t lose the game because of the umpires but the AFL absolutely need to move to a professional model. 

And how will that improve it?

43 minutes ago, biggestred said:

The solution is, unfortunately, just about a complete re writing of the rules. The game is impossible to umpire.

Fact is it's not the basic rules itself and no matter what they do coaches will invent ways around it, cut the rotations is one way to address it but coaches complain about that it's the never-ending story.

1 hour ago, biggestred said:

100% agree. Get rid of the knee-jerk reaction rules (eg rucks nominating to avoid third man up), get rid of grey area rules - so , for example, have no deliberate OOB, or make it out on the full, or last touch, but something that is CLEAR - and completely revamp holding the ball.

• Like 1

until the maggots are professional and held to account for their errors it's a mug's game

utimately, maggots gonna maggot

i read a report recently that they can make $250-300k a season

how about making them full-time then, eh?

given that there's four of them on field, the elite should be more than capable of officiating 2 games a round

it won't happen, as the afl won't allow them to be considered a vital resource of the game

11 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I really think there were a lot of very soft frees paid to the blues in the first quarter. 

Carlton had all the momentum and played well but when your team is pinged 11 to 3 against like us in the 20 odd mins than that momentum was difficult to break. The frees certainly contributed.

I know we started poorly but maybe we did win if May did actually touch that kick.

Firstly, I can't stand Linton St, nor Carltank, nor the AFL.

Secondly, I love the Deees!

The touch of the ball by May is impossible with the human eye - we need the tech, which cricket and tennis have had for years.

But those sports are international, 12-months, and confined to a small area.

Further, AFL won't spend the $s on tech as it is putting $s into the developing states.

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

And how will that improve it?

you can't see how a relatively independent professional body managing umpiring could be better than a meddling haphazard, interfering, badly defined rule based amateur-time operation we have now?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

until the maggots are professional and held to account for their errors it's a mug's game

utimately, maggots gonna maggot

i read a report recently that they can make $250-300k a season

how about making them full-time then, eh?

given that there's four of them on field, the elite should be more than capable of officiating 2 games a round

it won't happen, as the afl won't allow them to be considered a vital resource of the game

Firstly, I can't stand Linton St, nor Carltank, nor the AFL.

Secondly:

the 300K umpire is like winning on Triple Chins' Minnionaire show - it's rare!  You have to have officiated more than 200 games, umpire most games that year and do all the finals.

Most field umpires are on 100K but their tenure is sometimes as short at two years, so, with them numbers (I went to Broady Tech), you have to stay working in your elected career.

• Like 2

to fix up umpiring decisions, I would:

>get rid of insufficient attempt both on the boundary and goal lines (it makes umpires mind readers)

>get football's microchipped and linked to the GPS so no need for goal umpires, which is sad, but this pays for the IT for scoring (imagine how good this will be for junior footy games that can't get parents, or if they do the parents are accused of bias)

>slash interchange numbers so as to bring in less congestion and thus less tackles and less holding the ball decisions

>stop Geelong's Hawkins from pushing out his opponents in the back and the side (both of these are not allowed under the laws)

>allow throwing as so many handpasses are throws and you can handpass a ball further than you can throw it

>get rid of boundary umpires and field umpires and just have central umpires

>get rid of The Filth; Linton St; Royal Parade Cheaters; Hypocrite Hwy; Dump Road and Alberton

>give the Deees an academy named The Harrison Academy after the Father of Football and our first presdient

How many games a week are  there decisions made where the view of all the umpires is incidentally obstructed, or not picked up for one reason or another. I think in those circumstances the usual procedure is to call a stoppage.

I'm thinking there should be instantaneous contact with co umpires in a box just as we do now for decisions regarding scoring and where these umpires with better views than those umpires on the ground observe infringement particularly on the periphery, and in the incident itself, notify the umpire (not sure which one) and award against the infringement.

Hopefully this can be done seamlessly.

On 09/05/2024 at 14:21, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

What was the free kick count?

Felt shockingly unbalanced.

Carlton 19 Dees 17. The Q1 imbalance was probably the result us being second to the ball. 

• Like 1