On 01/03/2024 at 16:56, Little Goffy said:

I'd say both Sydney and the Dogs are a bit overrated going into the season - realistic possibility that neither will make finals.

Overall at present we have

First Round: Our own pick (18, obviously)

Second Round: Sydney (call it 30)

Third Round: St Kilda and Footscray (let's say around 45 and 50)

Fourth Round: Our own pick.

Jason Taylor is like a kid going into a 1980s mini-market looking for lollies with a $1 coin, a 50c piece and two 20c pieces and a five cent piece. He must now work out how to get the $2 grab bag.

I'm on board the Sydney death ride for sure.  Still good odds that a pick in the late 20s early 30s could bring us a quality player.  A good reference point for me is that we got Tommy Sparrow with pick 27.

The other great value that I get out of a death ride like this is the satisfaction of seeing a side that I despise do badly, without getting the full return for the low ladder position via the draft.  I'm still somewhat seething with the way the Swans beat us in the 2022 finals series and think they have been over pandered to in recent years.

Unless the Dogs totally tank, finish on the absolute bottom (not going to happen) death riding them is pointless.  Even then, it would likely end up mid third round by the time all the compensation and accademey picks have well and truely diluted the draft.

As an asides, from my research for this post, I learnt that Tom Sparrow's middle name is Frank.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Unless the Dogs totally tank, finish on the absolute bottom (not going to happen) death riding them is pointless.  Even then, it would likely end up mid third round by the time all the compensation and accademey picks have well and truely diluted the draft.

We'll probably trade it back for a disgruntled Harmes, after a year of being played in the ruck

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Random pointless update 3-4 rounds in.

We have...

Sydney's 2nd - currently 34

St Kilda's 3rd - currently 45

Bulldogs 3rd - currently 50

Other variables in the equation may include potential compensation picks to West Coast and FA allocations.

Just on FA compo, is there a risk of Zurhaar giving the roos another top 5 pick should he leave? Surely not.

Edit: may as well throw in a Petty to Adelaide watch.

Currently they hold pick 4.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, adonski said:

Gee wiz the Petty stuff becomes interesting if the Crows really bottom out 

I'll be death riding them until Petty, hopefully, signs with us... just in case.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update 6 rounds in now that everyone has played the same amount of games.

Melbourne: Pick 13

Sydney 2nd: Pick 36

Saints 3rd: Pick 43

Bulldogs 3rd: Pick 48

Petty to Adelaide watch

Adelaide have picks 4 and 23

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nascent said:

Update 6 rounds in now that everyone has played the same amount of games.

Melbourne: Pick 13

Sydney 2nd: Pick 36

Saints 3rd: Pick 43

Bulldogs 3rd: Pick 48

Petty to Adelaide watch

Adelaide have picks 4 and 23

Pick 4 and 23 for Petty???

11 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

As a Melbourne supporter? Yes please!

As a supporter of anyone else? 23 only

Petty has has an underwhelming start to the year, regardless of foot injury

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

That would be nice wouldn't it.

Just pointing out their two first picks they have for trade bargaining, not what I think the trade would be.

Can't see them being willing to give up a top 5 pick for him, despite the premium placed on key defenders and his contracted status.

19 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

pick 4 and 23 provides zero value for us compared to a swingman 25 year old premiership player

we are in 'win now' mode and taking a player like petty out of our best 23 does NOT help us do so 

If Turner comes on and pick 4 and 23 can become pick 1 or 2 we can potentially pick up the next Petracca or Oliver. That extends our window. This club cannot afford to drop down the ladder whilst teams 19 and 20 come in. You watch what’s about to happen to Richmond 

• Thinking 1

I'm death riding the Crows solely for the reason that a move there by Petty could be less appealing, more so if we were to make a PF.

BTW the Crows had picks 8 and 17 in the last draft, and I very much doubt that a pick/s swap for Petty was considered.

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

If Turner comes on and pick 4 and 23 can become pick 1 or 2 we can potentially pick up the next Petracca or Oliver. That extends our window. This club cannot afford to drop down the ladder whilst teams 19 and 20 come in. You watch what’s about to happen to Richmond 

we'd need to replace a 25 year old key forward / premiership winning back with something of a similar ilk

that's why crom are offering petty a small fortune; his like don't exactly grow on trees

i remain hopeful that he'll be offered commensurate with his importance to the side beyond 2025 and will stay with us; we need him to do so

5 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I think Petty is massively overrated on here. The club would be locked up for not taking picks 4 and 23 should they be offered.

it's not about 4 and 23 - which is likely to become something more like 7 and 30 - it's about how do you replace a player of his ilk - a 25 year old tall who can hold down a key role forward or back, and be part of a premiership-winning defensive set-up

easier said than done