James Leake

FrothiesLiam

A mid-sized Tasmanian utility is emerging as a potential top-10 bolter for next month’s national draft after impressing in a range of positions across the second half of the season.
James Leake is believed to be firmly in the sights of clubs including Melbourne (pick 6), Greater Western Sydney (pick 7) and Geelong (pick 8).
Rivals believe that St Kilda (pick 13) also likes Leake, but growing interest means he is unlikely to slip to that selection.
The 187cm prospect, who hails from Launceston, featured as an intercept defender for the Allies at the under-18 national championships in the middle of the year.
However, he also showed plenty as a forward and midfielder in the back end of the Coates Talent League season with the Tasmanian Devils.
Leake booted 12 goals across three games for the Devils after being swung forward mid-season.
He then played as a midfielder in the Devils’ preliminary final loss to the Eastern Ranges, racking up 21 disposals, three clearances and kicking two goals to put an exclamation mark on his campaign.

• Thanks 4

Interesting. Thanks @FrothiesLiam

He looked good for the Allies but in the shadows of so many other young stars in the Allies squad. Imv Leake does have that Trent Rivers type energy about him. But given comparing class and skill, I’d still prefer Sanders.  

• Like 2

Just now, spirit of norm smith said:

Interesting. Thanks @FrothiesLiam

He looked good for the Allies but in the shadows of so many other young stars in the Allies squad. Imv Leake does have that Trent Rivers type energy about him. But given comparing class and skill, I’d still prefer Sanders.  

Leake is class and skill above Sanders.

Sanders is a ball winning machine and is one dimensional in terms of hes pigeon-holed to play one position only.

Leake is athletically far more gifted then Sander and has genuine versatility and X factor.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sanders is a ball winning machine and is one dimensional in terms of hes pigeon-holed to play one position only.

Leake is athletically far more gifted then Sander and has genuine versatility and X factor.

Well said. Sanders very much a meat and potatoes mid for mine, nothing super special but fills the stats sheet. He's definitely not the silky talented ball user our midfield needs. I'd almost prefer to take a punt on a guy like this even if he's not rated in the top 10 just yet.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think Sanders is a seriously good ballwinner, classier and more skilled (just imv).
With Leake, totally agree on his versatility and ability to do something extra.  That’s why I likened him to a Trent Rivers type. And he’s got the energy factor which readily  translates him into AFL mode. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I think Sanders is a seriously good ballwinner, classier and more skilled (just imv).
With Leake, totally agree on his versatility and ability to do something extra.  That’s why I likened him to a Trent Rivers type. And he’s got the energy factor which readily  translates him into AFL mode. 

I like sanders but I think we should be looking at getting Riv in the guts and finding someone to take his spot along the HB Line 

• Like 3

• Demonland changed the title to The James Leake Thread

I've jumped on board the band wagon of picking him at 6.

The more I watch of him the more I see Nat Fyfe similarities. I am no way saying his career will pan out the same way but his freak athletic attributes and strong aerial ability will be hard to match up on.

Then taking into account that he's ability to have significant impact in all 3 lines of the ground being back, mid and forward. Very rarely you see junior talent being able to do this at this level.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Starting to feel like a bit of a JT special isn’t it. Wasn’t even in Cals top 20 a few months ago. The more noise there is about us picking him at 6 the more it reminds me of the noise about Jackson coming up to his draft. 
If we were to pick him ahead of Curtain or Sanders it would show how highly we rate him. 
Have to admit I didn’t really notice him in the few Allies games I watched as I was focused on other players. 

Be interested to hear people’s thoughts on what position he would start off in should we pick him. 

Just going off his highlights he plays very like Fritter up forward.Can take a mark and good shot for goal. Is there room for two of those type in our forward line?
Seemed to struggle to make his tackles stick a few times so might need work on that to play half back at AFL level. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Colm said:

Be interested to hear people’s thoughts on what position he would start off in should we pick him. 

If he’s close to a spot in the best 22 I’d start him at half back given that’s the easiest place to come in to the side.

Otherwise if he’s ready for it physically at VFL level I’d have him on ball rotating forward. 

The question I’d like answered is what’s his 2km time? He’s valuable as a forward and back who can develop his on ball game, but if he can genuinely run he has great attributes with his kicking and marking to be a winger.

• Like 3

I've seen him mostly as an intercept defender playing on mediums and smalls. He was pretty good, especially his marking, but nothing screamed top 5-10 pick compared to others on the field, especially Sanders and Mckercher. We need fresh elite midfield talent coming through, and multiple first round picks in a draft is the time to get some. 

I haven't seen him play midfield. What are peoples impressions of him in the guts? 

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Travis said:

I've seen him mostly as an intercept defender playing on mediums and smalls. He was pretty good, especially his marking, but nothing screamed top 5-10 pick compared to others on the field, especially Sanders and Mckercher. We need fresh elite midfield talent coming through, and multiple first round picks in a draft is the time to get some. 

I haven't seen him play midfield. What are peoples impressions of him in the guts? 

Can’t just pull elite midfield talent out of a hat though can we? It is likely Sanders and Mckercher will both be gone by our first pick, where to then? There is no ‘elite’ midfield talent left to choose from. This is not a deep draft for midfielders at all

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Watch the second half of the last video posted above, the game against Eastern.

Whilst his stoppage and congestion game might need refinement he can clearly get his hands on the ball and he’s a dynamic presence around the ground. 

• Like 1

On 26/10/2023 at 17:13, DeeSpencer said:

He can seriously mark a footy and kick it too and he seems to have got stronger and more athletic as the year went on. 

I’m not surprised to see him in top 10 contention 

From the clips I've seen of Leaky playing in the forward line he's very much in the mold of Zac Bailey from the Bears.

I like what i see from the young man.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1