Cool light of day

pitmaster

Went for a 3 hour walk this morning to try relax after last night.

We've been unlucky this year with injuries, especially weighted towards the forward line.

I know Clarry was injured but we covered that pretty well i reckon.

But despite our injuries, we've consistently been our own worst enemy with accuracy - and that's the frustrating part with a lot of our losses this year.

2023 was a golden opportunity, it feels more thrown away than 2022.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

The sun is shining. It came out this morning. 

Yeah, the sun came up. But it spraying it’s rays all over the place. So much wasted energy. And you just know that the Carlton Sun is going to pop up and just nail the solar panel…uh, yep, there it is, great…

We did win on Expected Sun tho.

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Yeah, the sun came up. But it spraying it’s rays all over the place. So much wasted energy. And you just know that the Carlton Sun is going to pop up and just nail the solar panel…uh, yep, there it is, great…

This is why you’re my PA. So clever. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I don’t think I’ll ever get over that Viney turn over. I’ve watched it 4 times already and I can’t understand it. He wasn’t even under pressure. I’ll have nightmares about that for years.

If he had kicked it on the full, got caught holding the ball, a million other things and I think we would have held up. I just can’t believe it.

I have just finished watching it and totally agree with you. Viney's turnover...oh my! I was at the game but to see it up close is really gut wrenching. Plus all those missed goals! Sparrow, Max, Pickett. I still can't believe we lost! 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I'm all for the Lions beating the Pies in a grand final though :laugh:

I want the air out of the tyres long before that. First interstate grand final for a while between gws and bris. The afl will be gutted. And what an uninspiring spectacle it will be. The afl need to get what they deserve with the way they run things. I want as much of the country to tune out as possible 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I think in the cold light of day we aren’t playing the type of football that wins finals, and the numbers back it up.

We’ve been defending our place for the last 2 seasons. We play with such restriction and tension. Everything is done through the lens of defence - because that’s what wins you finals. Except it hasn’t, for 4 in a row. The game has changed again.

Our football department needs fresh faces and new ideas. We went with what we had for 3 years, and we were entitled to do it based on ‘21. Now it’s time to reassess and get some fresh thinking in.

Last night was the worst loss we’ve had as a club for a long, long time. You can’t consistently get beaten by what you know. We’ve known we’ve got forward half connection problems for 7 years.

Yep worst loss since 1988 perlimary. Imagine losing a grand final like that

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, demons123452000 said:

As much as I admire Max his kicking skills in close are to say at the least sad, as soon as he veers to the right his first few steps are where the ball follows and all ways veer right, surly the kicking coach (cough) can drum into him to kick straight through the ball.

They definitely do drill it in. Under pressure you will always revert to bad habits. He hasn’t got past his bad habits yet. It can take a long time 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Brisbane will smash them up there  they are banged up

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Billy said:

It was pathetic in the cold light of day, didn’t matter we had injuries we should’ve won both games

A colossal choke, lost at selection & out coached again 

Max & May will be in the twilight of their careers next year, Grundy our backup once Max retires will be in Sydney & they treated a retiring warrior in Hibbo withe contempt

2023 an absolute disaster 

Lost at selection as in we had no forward line to select. The game looked a lot like a dominant team with no forward line 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But they don’t learn. The same system every week 

Goodwin should walk after 2 Straight Set Exits…

He is a system based coach. You can’t reinvent the wheel on the go with sport. How do you prove someone would do a better job than goodwin with what he had at his disposal the last two finals series?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roy11 said:

Went for a 3 hour walk this morning to try relax after last night.

We've been unlucky this year with injuries, especially weighted towards the forward line.

I know Clarry was injured but we covered that pretty well i reckon.

But despite our injuries, we've consistently been our own worst enemy with accuracy - and that's the frustrating part with a lot of our losses this year.

2023 was a golden opportunity, it feels more thrown away than 2022.

You said accuracey? Total of 16 goals 28 points for the 2 finals !

13 minutes ago, von said:

He is a system based coach. You can’t reinvent the wheel on the go with sport. How do you prove someone would do a better job than goodwin with what he had at his disposal the last two finals series?

I expect a Coach to select a side that can win, when everything is on the line

To play TMac whilst Grundy and Schache are not used AT ALL, when Max has a Broken Toe to be a Criminal Offence. 
Losing 2 Sets of Finals on our Home Ground should never be acceptable. 
In the EPL he would be packing up his desk right now….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I expect a Coach to select a side that can win, when everything is on the line

To play TMac whilst Grundy and Schache are not used AT ALL, when Max has a Broken Toe to be a Criminal Offence. 
Losing 2 Sets of Finals on our Home Ground should never be acceptable. 
In the EPL he would be packing up his desk right now….

I don’t think the epl is a good example for coaching. They are over the top reactive and they have an enormous pool to choose from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, von said:

I don’t think the epl is a good example for coaching. They are over the top reactive and they have an enormous pool to choose from.

Maybe it is us who don’t react quick enough 

It would be interesting to see the Club projections as to how much Cash and investment we have lost because of the last 2 years 

45 minutes ago, Demon4ever said:

I have just finished watching it and totally agree with you. Viney's turnover...oh my! I was at the game but to see it up close is really gut wrenching. Plus all those missed goals! Sparrow, Max, Pickett. I still can't believe we lost! 

Before that turnover, Lever had an intercept mark just inside our D50. Instead of looking for a short kick to a player nearby (and consume more of the clock) he went long bomb down the line.

Mind you, our players were not offering good looks in terms of separation so perhaps Lever didn't feel confident trying a 15 m kick.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Maybe it is us who don’t react quick enough 

It would be interesting to see the Club projections as to how much Cash and investment we have lost because of the last 2 years 

I just don’t see it as the failure you do. Losses compared to what? Winning the flag? Last year we were cooked all over the ground. This year we were cooked in one third of the ground. Not making excuses, I’d like to see us work some areas of our game out that have been a problem for some time. But we have the players we have and you can’t always get who you want in to the side. The fact we should have won both games hurts but is also really promising. With no forward line and very few ball users we should be in a prelim. Draft/trade well this year and we could find something that makes a difference. You could have judged many coaches too early. Top 4 three tears in a row is tough to do. Winning flags is very hard 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Before that turnover, Lever had an intercept mark just inside our D50. Instead of looking for a short kick to a player nearby (and consume more of the clock) he went long bomb down the line.

Mind you, our players were not offering good looks in terms of separation so perhaps Lever didn't feel confident trying a 15 m kick.

Yeah they were all absolutely spent. Probably could’ve taken a short to Langdon but that’s about it.

If he went short to Langdon then Gawn would’ve had more time to get down the line, can potentially force a throw in.

But at the same  time we scrapped and won that contest and Viney somewhat picked a decent option to move it on quickly on his right and short in to space along the boundary. Unfortunately it came off his boot at exactly the wrong speed and went straight to Weitering.

There’s a lesson in the value of dual sided skills that I hope our kids are being trained up in. Viney came to the club when good development was not completely ruining a player within 3 years. 

I love the reality and positivity of this post and thread, I really do.

But the only things that still don’t sit with me, and never will, is yeah I get there is a lot of competition and we got smashed with repeated destabilising injuries, but that doesn’t explain why we keep losing the same way with the same learnings, how guys who are paid to kick goals completely crumbled under the lights at the G to an inexperienced Blues side in finals, and what the hell happened to our structure and system in the last 90 seconds?? Mind you that’s ignoring the brain farts all over the ground last night like the silly undisciplined 50s, Maxy’s own-spoil, the sub debacle. There are serious elements of what happened this year and in particular the finals which suggest we wasted a golden opportunity, given our list, age etc.

We can certainly take some positives, but we can’t put those in the trophy cabinet. And if we don’t learn from them NOW (and even then it might be too late), we’ll have to wait many more years to be in the window again. 

Edited by Red But Mostly Blue