2024 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

12 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah to be honest I'm not a fan of him playing down back. The vision i've seen him play he's looked okay and does tend to get lost.

I want to see him more as that forward ruck role that I saw back when he was playing in the under 15's championships up here in Lavington few years back.

His athletic ability and movement in the ruck and especially up forward reminded me a lot of Sam Darcy. 

Just my opinion, but I really do think he's wasted down back.

I don't think he will be pigeon holed to one position. He possesses flexibility and I think would swing forward/ruck. I wanted to see him up forward but QLD had good options up forward.

Side note: The Vic M v QLD and NSW/ACT v Vic Country games - both NSW/ACT and QLD both won relatively comfortably. Looking at their personnel during and after games leaving there were quite a few players from Sydney Swans and GWS academies. Same for the Queensland boys (GC/Bris Ac.). Their academies were heavily represented. They have quality players to choose from. All four AFL teams would be frothing at their mouths at these prospects. Healthy lists in future years I have no doubt.

Edited by H_T
  • Thanks 1

Noah Yze hitting his straps at the right time of the season.

See Rookie me notes from Chargers game 10/7/24. Followed up with some ok footy for Casey. I think we will pick him up as a late or Rookie pick.

I think we will also pick up Ricky Mentha (Academy) who has also hit his straps late in the season as a half back with speed and silky skills. Likely late or Rookie.

#15 Noah Yze
Defender/Midfielder | 190cm | 12/04/2006

Stats: 23 disposals, 4 tackles, 6 inside 50s

A prospect of intrigue to Melbourne fans as a father-son this year, Yze produced arguably his best game to date. The versatile 190cm prospect started in defence and was then thrown into midfield as a good size matchup for the likes of Josh Smillie and Oliver Greeves. His strength was evident when tackling, while also absorbing contact well and looking quite comfortable in the clinches. Overall, he performed solidly in both roles and held his own against handy opposition.

I posted the below on the wrong thread:

Profile on Ricky Mentha our Academy prospect this year from April this year. The few Coates games he has been ripping it up off half back. He is pretty quick and has silky skills.

Mentha produces eye-catching performance for AFL Ac... | NIT

He made the rookie me Coates team of the week 1/8/24 in the back pocket. 

Rookie me Scouting notes from 29/7/24. Gippsland power. Looks like he is raising his stocks at the right time of the season.

I am thinking there will be 5 to 7 off the list season end including Gus and J Smith. So Mentha and YZE are a good chance to be picked up.

#29 Ricky Mentha
Small Defender | 179cm | 04/09/2006

Stats: 22 disposals, 5 marks, 7 rebound 50s

Mentha had perhaps his best performance of the season to date for the Power, constantly providing dash and drive coming out of his side’s defensive 50. On numerous occasions he showed great speed and composure under pressure to get the opposition off guard on their transition. His silky skills, pressure acts and decision making were all features although at times his disposal by hand missed targets. Mentha showed great pace especially when it came to reading the play with loose ground balls and at times stood at the last line of defence where he saved a certain goal in the second quarter getting a hand to it before going over for the score.

Just subscribed to Code Sports. Looks like a good website for lots of sporting info.  They have listing of 50 draftees.  

I particularly thought this was spot on about Xavier Lindsay ️.  He’s a Josh Kelly type. 

Position: Midfielder

Height: 183cm

Clubs: Gippsland Power/Vic Country

Lindsay’s emphatic performances for the Gippsland Power translated on the big stage against Vic Metro. With the championships on the line, Lindsay produced a best-on-ground display for Vic Country, tallying 30 disposals, 11 marks, eight score involvements, eight tackles and 169 SuperCoach points. It underlined the AFL Academy member’s well-rounded traits as a midfielder. Lindsay hurts opposition sides with his penetrating and pinpoint left boot, wins it on the inside and the outside, and defends strongly when he hasn’t got the footy. He was also a class above in challenging conditions against Western Australia, going at 90 per cent by foot and winning 19 disposals and eight clearances. While Lindsay doesn’t need a lot of the ball to punish the opposition, he has been one of the top ball-winners in the Coates Talent League competition, where he averages 25 disposals, six inside 50s, six clearances and 132 SuperCoach points. He also racked up plenty of the ball as a defender last year and played down back in the AFL Academy game.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Just subscribed to Code Sports. Looks like a good website for lots of sporting info.  They have listing of 50 draftees.  

I particularly thought this was spot on about Xavier Lindsay ️.  He’s a Josh Kelly type. 

Lindsay’s emphatic performances for the Gippsland Power translated on the big stage against Vic Metro. With the championships on the line, Lindsay produced a best-on-ground display for Vic Country, tallying 30 disposals, 11 marks, eight score involvements, eight tackles and 169 SuperCoach points. It underlined the AFL Academy member’s well-rounded traits as a midfielder. Lindsay hurts opposition sides with his penetrating and pinpoint left boot, wins it on the inside and the outside, and defends strongly when he hasn’t got the footy. He was also a class above in challenging conditions against Western Australia, going at 90 per cent by foot and winning 19 disposals and eight clearances. While Lindsay doesn’t need a lot of the ball to punish the opposition, he has been one of the top ball-winners in the Coates Talent League competition, where he averages 25 disposals, six inside 50s, six clearances and 132 SuperCoach points. He also racked up plenty of the ball as a defender last year and played down back in the AFL Academy game.

Sounds great SONM! Hopefully Taylor sees what you do.

30 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

He sounds like a gem and exactly the type of player we need - although surprised not to see him in the top 10 of Twomey’s August Phantom Draft

Would love to try and nab him with a second first round pick, but difficult to know if he’d still be around into the late teens (presuming that’s what our future first might nab us) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yeah looked awesome in the Metro game. If he’s not going to go top 10 I hope we split 6 and pick him up. Plays back flanker as well, he will prob start his AFL career there same as we have done with Rivers. Makes a whole lot more sense to me than going for Houston. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colm said:

@spirit of norm smith have you or any other posters seen much of Taj Hotton? Tipped as a top 5 chance before doing his ACL. If so what sort of player is he or who would he remind you of?

I ranked Taj Hotton at pick 14 in the years talent pool.

+He is a classy mover.  Ideally an outside player but can win in his own footy. Nice sidestep evasion to get through traffic. Seems to make good decisions with the footy.  Good runner and can move pace up when needs to. Versatile.  Has played half forward, mid and half back.  

? One query for me is his kicking efficiency due to his ball drop on kicking (like a Selwood or Brandon Walker drop) so his skill under pressure would be queried.  
Unfortunately his knee injury meant we didn’t get to see him in the national championships against other talented youngsters.  That would have seen his intensity and defensive game more on show.  

He’s definitely a talented player who should go first round despite injury stopping his year.  

• Thanks 1

Young Bendigo star Tobie Travaglia had a great game on the weekend in the VFL (for Carlton v Richmond). Definitely now a top 10 pick in my view.  He had over 20 possessions across half back and wing.  Looked very comfortable and his kicking in particular was A grade. Got good distance with his kicking.   But it’s his 2nd efforts and tackling that was perhaps most impressive (he was working hard even without the footy) . 

• Like 2

Jesse Dattoli could be a bargain draft buy this year.  He just seems to remind me like a Rory Sloane type.  Good runner.  Creative ball user with good skills and smart decisions. Also knows how to kick a goal. Had another good game fo Northern on the weekend with 3 goals. 

• Love 1

1 Tigers. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh

2.*Brisbane match bid. Levi Ashcroft Father son.

3. Roos. Luke Trainor - Sandringham

4 Eagles. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh

5. Crows.   Sid Draper - Sth Adel 

6. Saints.  Josh Smillie - Eastern

7. * Suns match bid Leonardo Lombard 

8. Dees … either of 
Harvey Langford - Dandenong

Sam Lalor- GWV

Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland

• Like 3

Message for JT. We need a type of player.  Look for more competitive players. Hard nuts.  Skilled footballers yes. Ones who will defend their teammates. Ones with spirit.  They might now all be the elite youngster but you cannot build the spirit in that hard grit.  Thoughts? @Whispering_Jack @layzie. @dazzledavey36

Here is some within the 2024 list 

Sam Lalor

Tom Gross

Cooper Hynes 

Harrison Oliver 

Zak Johnson 

Kade Herbert 

Nat Sulzberger 

Youngsters who could stand up when the heat comes !!! Not physically pushed aside. 

• Like 2

would be nice if things went our way for the first time this season...

we need both gc17 and the aints to win by more than 2 goals so that they go above us on the ladder on percentage

that would leave us with pick 5 at the start of the draft; if things don't go our way we will have pick 7

but that could potentially be pushed our three spots to pick 10 after the two bids for ashcroft and lombard plus the compo pick for battle

either way, would love a player who can run thru the midfield with speed and skill

anyone who can hit a target by foot would be nice

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Message for JT. We need a type of player.  Look for more competitive players. Hard nuts.  Skilled footballers yes. Ones who will defend their teammates. Ones with spirit.  They might now all be the elite youngster but you cannot build the spirit in that hard grit.  Thoughts? @Whispering_Jack @layzie. @dazzledavey36

Here is some within the 2024 list 

Sam Lalor

Tom Gross

Cooper Hynes 

Harrison Oliver 

Zak Johnson 

Kade Herbert 

Nat Sulzberger 

Youngsters who could stand up when the heat comes !!! Not physically pushed aside. 

Cooper is a really nice kid and has a good frame. We have spoken to him but the club showing the most interest so far is Geelong.

• Thanks 5

Would be happy with any of the following young talented draftees....

1) Josh Smillie - 194cms midfielder (Eastern Ranges)

2) Finn O'Sullivan - 182cms midfielder (Oakleigh Chargers)

3) Harvey Langford - 190cms midfielder (Dandenong Stingrays)

4) Murphy Reid - 180cms midfielder (Sandringham Dragons)

5) Jagga Smith - 181cms midfielder (Oakleigh Chargers)

6) Sam Lalor - 187cms midfielder (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)

7) Xavier Lindsay - 183cms midfielder (Gippsland Power)

I think we should ideally target midfielders with exquisite kicking skills again. That should be our primary focus.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Would be happy with any of the following young talented draftees....

1) Josh Smillie - 194cms midfielder (Eastern Ranges)

2) Finn O'Sullivan - 182cms midfielder (Oakleigh Chargers)

3) Harvey Langford - 190cms midfielder (Dandenong Stingrays)

4) Murphy Reid - 180cms midfielder (Sandringham Dragons)

5) Jagga Smith - 181cms midfielder (Oakleigh Chargers)

6) Sam Lalor - 187cms midfielder (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)

7) Xavier Lindsay - 183cms midfielder (Gippsland Power)

I think we should ideally target midfielders with exquisite kicking skills again. That should be our primary focus.

A couple of mids with kicking skills and some leg speed please. 

• Love 1

Had missed Hynes. Looks like a strong contested player in stoppage and in marking situations, good decision maker and will fill out into a tank.

Bit of Trac and Clarry about him. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

Had missed Hynes. Looks like a strong contested player in stoppage and in marking situations, good decision maker and will fill out into a tank.

So he’s going to go off the rails, get injured and threaten to leave?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Adam The God said:

Parts of his game remind me of Chad Warner. A lot to like about Hynes.

Bit quieter today but his partner in crime in Langford had another monster game with 33 touches and 4 goals. Ah-Mu bagged another 3 goals and Riak Andrew was pretty good down back (apart from one shocking kick in the back half).

For Gippy, Mentha looked really smooth coming out of defence and think there’s something worth investing in there.

• Thanks 7
  • Love 2